• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed the end of the Wawrinka match earlier. Just saw it. Reminiscent of the Robredo match last year, where Stan toughed out a win.

MIMIC

Banned
So stupid. I just plugged my laptop into my TV. ESPN always does this shit with Tennis, Soccer, basically anything not super american.

Edit: so many unforced errors

I'm watching the Ferrer-Nishikiro match through Xbox Live. I knew they would have Keys on (given how much they've been talking her up over the last few days)

Obviously, two Americans. I'd hope you aren't surprised. The ESPN bias is almost always towards the American player(s) unless one of the big players is on court.

Nah, I'm not surprised when they do it. They ALWAYS do it! lol I mean, it makes sense from a business standpoint (American audience probably more interested in American players) but it just sucks so badly for the actual fans. Keys is an unproven up-and-comer, while Nishikori and Ferrer are both top-10, former slam finalists.

It's completely understandable when they do it for Serena, but for anyone else, it's laughable.

jimwhat

I'm watching the Ferrer-Nishikiro match through Xbox Live. I knew they would have Keys on (given how much they've been talking her up over the last few days)

Didn't know I could do that. I'll have to try it out tomorrow. Xbox one?

MIMIC

Banned
Didn't know I could do that. I'll have to try it out tomorrow. Xbox one?

You have to be able to get ESPN3, too (meaning you need an ISP that carries it. I have Verizon). It's basically ESPN3 via Xbox Live.

If you have all that, then you just download the ESPN app through the Marketplace (it's free)

The only reason I watch it on my Xbox is because the the site sucks (at least for me it does). Every time I load up a video, it takes forever to start and freeze a lot.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Nah, I'm not surprised when they do it. They ALWAYS do it! lol I mean, it makes sense from a business standpoint (American audience probably more interested in American players) but it just sucks so badly for the actual fans. Keys is an unproven up-and-comer, while Nishikori and Ferrer are both top-10, former slam finalists.

It's completely understandable when they do it for Serena, but for anyone else, it's laughable.

Yeah, their tennis coverage is a complete fucking joke. Just an example, and I forget what match it was, but they interrupted it to talk to Andy Murray for ten minutes. Ten minutes of a match can be pretty goddamn important. It's not like they ask anything important either, it's always the most vapid shit imaginable. And half the time they didn't even have a split screen. I guess they just assume most of their audience can just imagine points happening.

The worst shit they do though, the ABSOLUTE worst, is when they have multiple American matches going on at once (or a few matches are ending around the same time) and try to show all three at the same time. You just end up missing everything. It's like they either don't have any concept of the limitations of normal vision, or they have a bunch of Tien Shinhans working there.

Hopefully Keys rolls through this set so that they can show something else.

MIMIC

Banned
Yeah, their tennis coverage is a complete fucking joke. Just an example, and I forget what match it was, but they interrupted it to talk to Andy Murray for ten minutes. Ten minutes of a match can be pretty goddamn important. It's not like they ask anything important either, it's always the most vapid shit imaginable. And half the time they didn't even have a split screen. I guess they just assume most of their audience can just imagine points happening.

lol

The worst shit they do though, the ABSOLUTE worst, is when they have multiple American matches going on at once (or a few matches are ending around the same time) and try to show all three at the same time. You just end up missing everything. It's like they either don't have any concept of the limitations of normal vision, or they have a bunch of Tien Shinhans working there.

lol

I think they've gotten better at this, though. When they try to show multiple matches at critical junctures (BPs, MPs, etc) they'll do multi-screens now. I remember yesterday they had two matches on at once where both players were fighting off multiple BPs.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
lol

lol

I think they've gotten better at this, though. When they try to show multiple matches at critical junctures (BPs, MPs, etc) they'll do multi-screens now. I remember yesterday they had two matches on at once where both players were fighting off multiple BPs.

That's understandable at least, and I can't fault them that.

Have they shown ANY of the Ferrer match on ESPN? Every time I flip back over, they have Keys on.

No clue, watching through ESPN3 on my computer.

LuuKyK

Wow, kei is playing lights out. Keep going!

And Ferrer has a very clean technique I guess, makes for a beautiful game.

MIMIC

Banned
YES!! The Keys match is almost over!

But I forgot about the 10 minute nonsensical interview from Pam Shriver, the presser, the analysis of her match, the analysis of her upcoming match, the new hype video, footage of her riding in the pouch of a kangaroo, etc.

Tookay

YES!! The Keys match is almost over!

But I forgot about the 10 minute nonsensical interview from Pam Shriver, the presser, the analysis of her match, the analysis of her upcoming match, the new hype video, footage of her riding in the pouch of a kangaroo, etc.
lol

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i only tuned in the middle of the third set, so is this scoreline because nishikori has been playing well or because ferrer has been as poor as he is now?

i only tuned in the middle of the third set, so is this scoreline because nishikori has been playing well or because ferrer has been as poor as he is now?

Nishikori didn't need to raise his level. Ferrer just made errors whenever Nishikori upped the pace, and didn't grind very well. The next match against Stan should be good. Both are playing well enough to potentially make the final.

Peru

Woke up.. disappointed Muguruza couldn't finish what she started. We could get a Williams semi final now I guess.

Bringle simply couldn't handle the other Madison on a mission to save US tennis.

Nishikori is my man.

Waking up to good news. Wawrinka and Nishikori through. Raonic vs. Lopez is turning out to be a little bit tasty. Rooting for Lopez; love watching the guy on grass, particularly Queens.

Oh well, tough luck Lopez. I suppose Raonic will give Djokovic more a workout than Lopez, so it's for the best. I quite like waking up to all this tennis in the morning. Tennis on one screen, GTAV on another. It's not a bad way to start the day. Though, I think it'll be an early night tonight. Really want to try and get up for Bouchard vs. Sharapova followed by Nadal vs. Berdych.

It's a pity Wawrinka plays Nishikori next. I don't know who I want to win. I suppose Wawrinka has won a slam, so it'd be nice to see Nishikori do the same, especially after the disappointment of the US Open. He was basically spent by the time he reached the final.

BouncyFrag

Any one else whipped by this commercial being aired constantly on the Tennis Channel?
2015-acura-rdx-drive-like-a-boss-song-by-blondie-small-7.jpg

Diamond

Ferrer plays such a beautiful form of tennis, but I still want Nishi to win

I'd argue that, while it's a super impressive playstyle (I remember seeing him live at Paris Masters 1000 2 years ago, the guy is a monster), Ferrer's game lacks a bit of creativity and that's precisely why he hasn't been able to win a Grand Slam or a World Tour Finals in his career. Ferrer has pushed the enveloppe so far in this particular style of tennis, he has, maybe, lost something on the way.
I'd also argue that Nishikori plays the same way (so that's not surprising you also like him), but he has this little sparkle Ferrer hasn't, at least since Chang took charge of his training.

It's a pity Wawrinka plays Nishikori next. I don't know who I want to win. I suppose Wawrinka has won a slam, so it'd be nice to see Nishikori do the same, especially after the disappointment of the US Open. He was basically spent by the time he reached the final.

Absolutely. They are two of the most interesting players left in the draw, so it's a shame to see them against each other in QFs. Wasn't happy to see Dimitrov and Murray meet this soon too, but it gave us a great match.

Dispatch

Venus looks great in this last set, totally taking it to Radwanska. Venus can't cover the court like she used to, but she is really striking it well.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So, who is looking forward to Berdych becoming the first player in history to lose 18 ATP matches to the same opponent in a row?

It'll be the only record 18 won at this tournament.

Diamond

So, who is looking forward to Berdych becoming the first player in history to lose 18 ATP matches to the same opponent in a row?
It'll be the only record 18 won at this tournament.

Nobody beats Berdych 18 times in a row !

Who has 17? Besides Berdych Nadal :p

A little Google-fu, but that's just H2H with a guy who never defeated the other :

17-0 for Bjorn Borg against Vitas Gerulaitis (matches in years 1974 - 1981, and a loss which contradicts his famous quote referenced in my post, that nobody beats him 17 times in a row after a win vs Connors. Funny that Connors himself was then defeated 17 times in a row by Lendl)
17-0 for Ivan Lendl against Tim Mayotte (matches in years 1980 - 1990)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom