• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

I say this every Slam but why must the on-site video highlights suck so much? They're like 1-2 minutes and yet consist of maybe 2 unforced errors, set point and match point. No thought put behind them what so ever so I'm scrounging youtube for not yet deleted fan highlights. IN THIS DAY AND AGE

r

Faith

So the quarterfinals are set:

Djokovic - Raonic (4:0 H2H with only 1 set loss)
Wawrinka - Nishikori (2:1 H2H, Nishikori defeated Wawrinka last time at the US Open 2014 in 5 sets)
Berdych - Nadal (0:17 of course xD)
Murray - Kyrgios (met only 1 time at the Canadian Masters last year, Murray won 6:2 6:2)

I think Djokovic and Nadal are in the semifinals for sure. The rest is unclear. Murray should win if his form is right.

Peru

(1) Serena Williams vs. (11) Dominika Cibulkova
Madison Keys vs. (18) Venus Williams
(10) Ekaterina Makarova vs. (3) Simona Halep
(7) Eugenie Bouchard vs. (2) Maria Sharapova

Serena 4-0 Domi
Venus 1-0 Madison
Simona 1-0 Kate
Maria 3-0 Eugenie

So the quarterfinals are set:

I think Djokovic and Nadal are in the semifinals for sure. The rest is unclear. Murray should win if his form is right.
Those guys have nothing to hurt Rafa, Djokovic, Muzza and Rafa. Only question is the WaWa-Nishikori match. With the Rafa Djokovic final.

Faith

This will be a historical grand slam either way. Djokovic wins his 5th AO title, record in the open era. Nadal wins every GS at least 2 times, record.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Surprisingly, Berdych isn't actually 0-17 against Nadal - he won the first three of their encounters, so he's actually 3-17.

inm8num2

It's Wawrinka's time. I can feel it.

Also rooting hard for Venus. Seems like this is as far as she's gotten in a major the past couple years.

LuuKyK

Serena will servebot her way to the final. My predictions: Serena, Keys, Makarova, Sharapova.

Djoko, Nishikori, Nadal, Murray.

Ricker

I have to take for Bouchard,she is Canadian and from my hometown but if I would go with what I have seen so far,I would bet on Cibulkova to win it all...she is on fire right now.

I say this every Slam but why must the on-site video highlights suck so much? They're like 1-2 minutes and yet consist of maybe 2 unforced errors, set point and match point. No thought put behind them what so ever so I'm scrounging youtube for not yet deleted fan highlights. IN THIS DAY AND AGE

r

That is a great picture of her.

Peru

Cibulkova has been known to peak... and crash. Question is if it happens before or after this tournament is over. Play another match like the last and she can trouble a slightly shaky Serena. Of course ideally she's got her head issues straightened out but we'll see.

The last slam Cibulkova played in, she lost 1st round to a 15 year old girl who is even shorter than she is.

Win or lose against Serena, this has been a huge step for Cibulkova. I would like to see her actually take momentum into the rest of the season this year, unlike last year

Diamond

Cibulkova plays a high risk style of tennis, so to me it's not surprising to see her have big results here or there and then nothing during several months. When it clicks, she's amazing, but everything has to be in place, mentally, physically and technically, otherwise things become complicated for her.

That, added to the fact that her height reduces a great deal the security of her shots, starting with her serve. She can't rely on her serve to go through the matches in which she's not playing well (like a lot of the female pros by the way, which in part explains the more erratic results in WTA), so she always has to go for aggressive and risky shots to make a difference, like against Azarenka last night.

We never know, but I doubt she'll ever have great results during a whole season. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, that's all the more impressive when she's playing like she has during this AO.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, surely, I wouldnt even need to watch it.

Eh? If Wawrinka made it past Nishikori and Djokovic and Murray past Nadal, you know they'd both be in good form, and they have such contrasting play-styles it'd be better than a lot of the alternatives. Don't see why you wouldn't watch.

Peru

Lol. You REALLY don't want either of the Williams sisters in the final.

Want Sharapova to have a chance eh?

Heh, it's not about that really. Wouldn't mind if Serena went out of course. I want Venus in the final to be honest. But I'm not 100% sure she's back on a slam winning form and her match could go either way. Serena hasn't looked consistently good this year... which typically means she's going to the final to rout someone 1 and 1, but hey, maybe not, and if Cibulkova stays in her zone.

I'll be firing up a beer drinking session for Krygios v Murray tonight. Cheers to Krygios serving at the top of his game, it could make a big difference but he'll need to get those returns of serve penetrating more against Murray.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Makarova takes the first set 6-4. Looking really impressive.

edit: I do wish Halep was playing better. Seems off.

jett

D-Member
If there is one thing you can always count on this world is the consistent terribleness of women's tennis.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
This is pretty disappointing, was hoping she'd at least make the semis this year. Just doesn't have it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom