• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith

Just woke up. Stan the man. Will he defend his title? Or will he loose against Djokovic in 4-5 hours causing him to be tired in the final and loose against Murray?

Well he does win the hair game.

And it moves about as well as he does.

Kind of depressing that all the QF matches were won in straight sets. Surprised to wake up to the fact that Wawrinka had put away Nishikori in 3 sets. The commentators were saying his backhand was on fire in that third set.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
raonic is a disgrace to the sport so i can't even feel too bad about this. now we just have to hope that stan takes out the trash in the semi.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Djokovic should have already lost to Stan two years in a row, so I wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened this time.

inm8num2

Not sure who I'm rooting for on the women's side. A Serena-Sharapova match would be fun, but I'd love just as much to see a Keys-Makarova final.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I want Wawrinka-Murray and Makarova-Keys as the finals, but I'll settle for Wawrinka-Berdych as an interesting alternative.

Like I mentioned yesterday, this is the 3rd consecutive year we've had a teenager in the womens semi-finals, but neither of them won their semi finals match.

Azarenka def. Sloane (2013)
Li Na def. Bouchard (2014)
Serena v. Keys (2015)

Would love to see Keys buck the trend.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Given Sloane is doing nothing special right now, and Bouchard is doing a Dimitrov and just drifting along until being totally exposed by the better players, I'm not optimistic.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Given Sloane is doing nothing special right now, and Bouchard is doing a Dimitrov and just drifting along until being totally exposed by the better players, I'm not optimistic.

bouchard has still been relatively consistent for being barely 20, so given how erratic wta can be whenever serena decides to crash out i don't think she (or halep) even needs to improve any to bag a slam or two at some point.

bouchard has still been relatively consistent for being barely 20, so given how erratic wta can be whenever serena decides to crash out i don't think she (or halep) even needs to improve any to bag a slam or two at some point.

Yep. Unless someone as dominant as Serena comes along, anyone in the top 100 of the WTA can win on a given day. Lets not forget how many top seeds went down in the first round. It happens

Peru

Yep. Unless someone as dominant as Serena comes along, anyone in the top 100 of the WTA can win on a given day. Lets not forget how many top seeds went down in the first round. It happens

Myth. Ignorant.

B7eaGWWCcAEmexe.jpg

2014 AO Champion: 4th seed Li Na
2014 French Open Champion 7th seed Maria Sharapova
2014 Wimbledon Champion Petra 6th seed Kvitova
2014 US Open Champion 1st seed Serena Williams

For top-four women, it hasn’t made a difference at all. In the twelve years before the switch, they reached the [Grand Slam] third round in 176 of 190 attempts. In the twelve years after the format change, women seeded 1-4 no longer risked facing a top-32 player in the first two rounds, and reached the third round in 178 of 191 attempts.

Ricker

raonic is a disgrace to the sport so i can't even feel too bad about this. now we just have to hope that stan takes out the trash in the semi.

Why is he a disgrace to the sport...? he is seeded number 8 no...?

Rooting for Sharapova tonight and Keys but I know that wont happen lol...Serena's game is too late for me to watch anyway,11:30 PM.

I'd love Wawrinka to beat Djokovic and go on to defend his title, that backhand is a thing of beauty!

I'd also love to see Serena get through the semi final and wallop Sharapova, as she is a shrieking cheater.

Peru

I'd love Wawrinka to beat Djokovic and go on to defend his title, that backhand is a thing of beauty!

I'd also love to see Serena get through the semi final and wallop Sharapova, as she is a shrieking cheater.

You're clueless - Serena's as loud as Maria and has never had issues with anyone grunting.

MIMIC

Banned
Venus's first ever title was a mix doubles title with Justin Gimelstob?

That must have been just awful for her. lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
hopefully the keys injury was nothing and more mental than physical. seeing her get through a williams sister gauntlet would be great

MIMIC

Banned
Yeah, Serena can be just as loud. And while I do think that that her grunt is more "natural", given its tone, she exaggerates it a very dramatic fashion.

Sharapova and Azarenka's grunts do not sound natural at all. Sharapova is literally screaming, and I don't even know what Azarenka is doing.

Yeah, Serena can be just as loud. And while I do think that that her grunt is more "natural", given its tone, she exaggerates it a very dramatic fashion.

Sharapova and Azarenka's grunts do not sound natural at all. Sharapova is literally screaming, and I don't even know what Azarenka is doing.

Exactly!

Serena does go OTT sometimes, I notice it more when she's struggling in a point (can't get to a ball in time, realized she's made a mistake etc).

There's natural exertion and there's purposely making noise to put your opponent off - that's the difference.

Plus you see her hit the ball with similar intensity during some practice sessions (not the casual hit and giggle affair) and she is SILENT during that time.

Dispatch

Sharapova's worst offense is when she turns her back on the server and forces her to wait. The rules clearly state you play at the server's pace. It drives me INSANE to watch it. If I was an opponent, I would be sorely tempted to dump a classic Michael Chang cramp-serve and win the point by following the rules.

Of course, I would never do that, but the temptation would be intense.

Milchmann

I'm tired of the shrieking debate, but if you want to hear the worst shrieker look for Michelle Larcher de Brito on Youtube. It's like a cat falling off a cliff.

Kozak

Banned
The argument "Serena can be as loud" is bullshit.

Of course she can, anyone can. The problem is Sharapova is always that loud!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Considering how disinterested Serena has looked, it's pretty bad that this went to a tiebreak even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom