• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
That Dodge Challenger SRT Demon seat looks like it was ripped out a fucking truck made in the 80s. Lol.

It really is the most plain and ugly seat I have seen in a decade at least.

GHG

That Dodge Challenger SRT Demon seat looks like it was ripped out a fucking truck made in the 80s. Lol.

It really is the most plain and ugly seat I have seen in a decade at least.

It looks like the same seat they have across the whole charger/challenger range from the R/T models up. Some of the most comfortable car seats around IMO.

What a time to be alive though. American car companies really have gone up a level in the last couple of years.

SliChillax

Then what's the fucking point?

I'm sorry all, this car is plain stupid and has no reason to exist. It's pure ego masturbation for the owner.

Jesus dude calm down. It's banned from professional competition events, not banned to enter the drag strip. Reason of the ban is because the car is so fast it's within the range of proper drag cars and those require roll cages. You can take the car to the drag strip, just not official NHRA races.

Jesus dude calm down. It's banned from professional competition events, not banned to enter the drag strip. Reason of the ban is because the car is so fast it's within the range of proper drag cars and those require roll cages. You can take the car to the drag strip, just not official NHRA races.

Any good drag strip I've been to would kick you out after one pass anyway with no cage at that speed, whether its an official race or not.

SliChillax

I don't wanna live in a world where people complain about a 840 fucking hp muscle car like seriously you can't do crazy stuff anymore everything needs to be rational. I mean fuck Lambos and everything that doesn't go over a speed bump properly

grendelrt

I'm sorry all, this car is plain stupid and has no reason to exist. It's pure ego masturbation for the owner.
Same thing can be said for a lot of sports cars. All depends on the person and what they want. Let's not try and act like most of the high end cars in this thread aren't overkill an many ways, but it doesn't matter cause its what we want.

Futaba

By that reasoning, Every sports car in existence has no reason to exist, because a normal road car gets the job of transporting people from A to B with out all the fanfare, so you should probably set and example and sell that 911.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
People being mad that a car like this exists makes me sad. I don't expect everyone - or even most - to like it. But to hate it?!

Anyway. 2.3sec and a 140 trap in a production car is insane. My father has a 1,000+ HP Chevelle that does a high-8 quarter and feels like it's ripping your face off. But the whole car shakes like it's about to blow up and he's on the side of the road broken down every other month. To think this Challenger has a 5yr/60k warranty is just incredible.

That said, I'd miss the leather, AC'd seats, 18-speaker stereo, and most importantly, stick shift of my Hellcat. No doubt the Demon is the "cooler" car against the Hellcat, which has the only design distinction of being "cool" in the first place. But I don't think I'd trade as a daily driver.

The Demon is BONKERS!

But I always felt the Hellcat was the closest we got to the old-school viper school of thought that said "here's a bunch of power - good luck." That really resonates with me.

Whereas the Demon isn't chasing that anymore. It's more "here's a bunch of power and exactly how to use it as perfectly as possible with some assists."

Nothing wrong with that at all. Just a very obvious difference in their designs.

SliChillax

People being mad that a car like this exists makes me sad. I don't expect everyone - or even most - to like it. But to hate it?!

Anyway. 2.3sec and a 140 trap in a production car is insane. My father has a 1,000+ HP Chevelle that does a high-8 quarter and feels like it's ripping your face off. But the whole car shakes like it's about to blow up and he's on the side of the road broken down every other month. To think this Challenger has a 5yr/60k warranty is just incredible.

That said, I'd miss the leather, AC'd seats, 18-speaker stereo, and most importantly, stick shift of my Hellcat. No doubt the Demon is the "cooler" car against the Hellcat, which has the only design distinction of being "cool" in the first place. But I don't think I'd trade as a daily driver.

The Demon is BONKERS!

But I always felt the Hellcat was the closest we got to the old-school viper school of thought that said "here's a bunch of power - good luck." That really resonates with me.

Whereas the Demon isn't chasing that anymore. It's more "here's a bunch of power and exactly how to use it as perfectly as possible with some assists."

Nothing wrong with that at all. Just a very obvious difference in their designs.

You'd be crazier than the guys that made the Demon to daily drive one. It was never meant for that but if I had the money, I'd accept the challenge lol

Any good drag strip I've been to would kick you out after one pass anyway with no cage at that speed, whether its an official race or not.

This. They're selling a car without a roll cage that requires a roll cage to even show up at a drag strip. It's like Ford selling their GT350s without trans coolers that can't go around a race track, or even overheat during spirited driving, but on a more explicit scale. "Fastest car around! Nothing's faster! Small Print: It is forbidden to use the car to this extent even at a track."

Do I think the car is funny, or hilarious? Sure. But a) who's going to buy it? b) just how annoying is that person going to be at car shows? and c) how do they even walk around with all those gold chains around their necks?

I don't know, I think it's silly to get excited about this car because it's not really a production vehicle in that it's useless on road (drag radials on street?) and if you wanted to you could make a way faster drag car for way less money.

I love sports cars, and while I wouldn't buy one I think muscle cars can be fun too. But this? Why does it even exist? Who is it for? Where is it for?

SliChillax

This. They're selling a car without a roll cage that requires a roll cage to even show up at a drag strip. It's like Ford selling their GT350s without trans coolers that can't go around a race track, or even overheat during spirited driving, but on a more explicit scale. "Fastest car around! Nothing's faster! Small Print: It is forbidden to use the car to this extent even at a track."

Do I think the car is funny, or hilarious? Sure. But a) who's going to buy it? b) just how annoying is that person going to be at car shows? and c) how do they even walk around with all those gold chains around their necks?

I don't know, I think it's silly to get excited about this car because it's not really a production vehicle in that it's useless on road (drag radials on street?) and if you wanted to you could make a way faster drag car for way less money.

I love sports cars, and while I wouldn't buy one I think muscle cars can be fun too. But this? Why does it even exist? Who is it for? Where is it for?

Car doesn't require a roll cage, if you're gonna race in NHRA races then install it yourself why should they raise the price of the car by including a roll cage that most people aren't going to need? And the argument about making a car faster yourself is a whole different conversation. You can make a Civic faster than this if you modify it, but the Demon can also be modified even more. This car comes with a warranty, your tuned drag car isn't. It's like those stupid comparisons people make with new vs used cars. Why is it so hard to accept this car? It's a muscle car that goes batshit fast in a straight line and it has all the tools you need. The car can enter any drag strip you want and destroy 90% of the cars there. I also don't think rappers are the main target demographic for this car.

GHG

It's for people who buy shit because they can.

It's for people who have shit because they can.

If I manage to nab one next year I will post pictures of it with me in the background wearing gold chains around my neck because I can.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The Demon is going to be daily driven by some and I'll love seeing it on the road.

The same way people buy overpriced iMacs and such, people buy overpriced cars. No one needs a 911 Turbo, let alone a Turbo S. But they still buy them, and for ludicrous amounts of money.

Edit: Also, I just realized that 3000 cars is actually a pretty decent amount of production. Put it this way, Jaguar made less than 3000 XKs, XKRs, and XKRS' in 5 years time (from 2010-2014). And they sell between 350-450 F-Types a month.

We'll be seeing a hefty amount of Demons on the road, I'd wager.

Car doesn't require a roll cage, if you're gonna race in NHRA races then install it yourself why should they raise the price of the car by including a roll cage that most people aren't going to need? And the argument about making a car faster yourself is a whole different conversation. You can make a Civic faster than this if you modify it, but the Demon can also be modified even more. This car comes with a warranty, your tuned drag car isn't. It's like those stupid comparisons people make with new vs used cars. Why is it so hard to accept this car? It's a muscle car that goes batshit fast in a straight line and it has all the tools you need. The car can enter any drag strip you want and destroy 90% of the cars there. I also don't think rappers are the main target demographic for this car.

Legitimate drag strips that want to maintain their NHRA relationships and their track insurance wont let a 9 second car down the strip without a roll cage. Even backwater drag strips won't let that shit fly. This is like Ariel making the new Atom with a nozzle that squirts oil onto the track so that it's forbidden from being driven on road courses.

The Demon is going to be daily driven by some and I'll love seeing it on the road.

The same way people buy overpriced iMacs and such, people buy overpriced cars. No one needs a 911 Turbo, let alone a Turbo S. But they still buy them, and for ludicrous amounts of money.

Edit: Also, I just realized that 3000 cars is actually a pretty decent amount of production. Put it this way, Jaguar made less than 3000 XKs, XKRs, and XKRS' in 5 years time (from 2010-2014). And they sell between 350-450 F-Types a month.

We'll be seeing a hefty amount of Demons on the road, I'd wager.

Yeah 3000 is a surprising number, didn't expect that. Which makes me even more curious who's actually going to be buying the things. I also have to wonder how many are going to be delivered with AC, radios, passenger seats, and tires swapped to something reasonable for road use.

Futaba

Dude you *really* need to give it a rest, casting stereotypes about the type of person that would buy the car is not cool, not cool at all.
You can dislike the thing without attacking the people that do like it, or questioning why something you don't like should even be available to other people, you know.

GHG

Dude you *really* need to give it a rest, casting stereotypes about the type of person that would buy the car is not cool, not cool at all.
You can dislike the thing without attacking the people that do like it, or questioning why something you don't like should even be available to other people, you know.

This is David...

According to him we should all own 20 year old manual transmission, hydraulic steering rack Porsches and go to track days/mountain roads together while communicating with each other via walking talkie. After which we can all have a picnic at sunset next to a campfire with our cars glistening in the distant horizon. Here we can reminisce about a car industry that once was, and how the modern day pleb in his brash high hp muscle car with drag radials is ruining everything for everyone, over freshly toasted Brie finished with a chilled flute of Bellini.

SliChillax

Legitimate drag strips that want to maintain their NHRA relationships and their track insurance wont let a 9 second car down the strip without a roll cage. Even backwater drag strips won't let that shit fly. This is like Ariel making the new Atom with a nozzle that squirts oil onto the track so that it's forbidden from being driven on road courses.

You do realize that the Demon can only achieve under 10 seconds if it's running on race gas and with the very thin front tires installed, right? Otherwise it's in the low 10s, so your argument about the roll cage is irrelevant.

It was a joke. :p Besides, gold chains and musclecars are just about my favorite car stereotype.

This is David...

According to him we should all own 20 year old manual transmission, hydraulic steering rack Porsches and go to track days/mountain roads together while communicating with each other via walking talkie. After which we can all have a picnic at sunset next to a campfire with our cars glistening in the distant horizon. Here we can reminisce about a car industry that once was, and how the modern day pleb in his brash high hp muscle car with drag radials is ruining everything for everyone, over freshly toasted Brie finished with a chilled flute of Bellini.

This is accurate, except I have a Google Pixel. :)

You do realize that the Demon can only achieve under 10 seconds if it's running on race gas and with the very thin front tires installed, right? Otherwise it's in the low 10s, so your argument about the roll cage is irrelevant.

Fair enough, I was shooting from the hip with it running under 10, but Jalopnik did a piece on it: http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-is-banned-by-t-1794240969

But I still have a feeling you'll catch some flak if you show up to a well regulated drag strip in one. They'll know what the car is capable of and probably ask you to only use pump gas and/or keep all four street tires on. Or just run 1/8 mile only.

AlphaSnake

It happened guys...

The 300HP F-Type has been made official. With a 4-banger. :(

Fortunately, it's the Jaguar Ingenium motor, but a 4-banger nonetheless. Kind of makes me sad. It's pretty much killed my lust for the car. It's still quick, 0-60 in 5.4. 3300lbs, which is decently light, I guess. But, this car didn't need a 4-pot.

Today I'm happy I have my XKR, and didn't get a tuned V6 F-Type last year.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It happened guys...

Fortunately, it's the Jaguar Ingenium motor, but a 4-banger nonetheless. Kind of makes me sad. It's pretty much killed my lust for the car. It's still quick, 0-60 in 5.4. 3300lbs, which is decently light, I guess. But, this car didn't need a 4-pot.

Is the 4-banger just a couple K less than the 6? Or am I misunderstanding something?

SliChillax

It happened guys...

Yeah just like the 718 killed my hype for it, the 4 banger isn't for me no matter how fast it is. It feels (and sounds) wrong in these cars.

Is the 4-banger just a couple K less than the 6? Or am I misunderstanding something?
I think it replaces the standard V6, not the V6 S.

It happened guys...

A straight 4 in a Jag GT? Hmmm..... That just feels wrong.

Somehow I know that one day, an owner of that car is going to be sitting next to a V6 or V8 F-Type at a stop light, hear it pull away and then immediately hang their head in shame (on the way to the Jaguar dealership to trade up).

Or probably not, show over go for a lot of people, and honestly that's fine. If it means I get to see the F-Type on the street more often then that's totally okay with me.

Skel1ingt0n

I'm staying in DC this week, and as I was walking through the parking garage last night, I saw an F-Type that, visually, absolutely stood in the same class as the Aventador and some Maserati I couldn't place parked next to it.

It's a sexxxxxy car, especially in the right color.

I'll try to snap a pic if it's still there this afternoon.

It happened guys...

Noooo... It means the existing v6s won't depreciate as quickly as I need them to.

I'm trying to figure out, but what would a Demon owner have to do to legally achieve the numbers Dodge quotes in the press release? Is the below correct?

1. Fill up on race gas (fine)
2. Buy new front tires (or are these a factory option?)
3. Install a roll cage OR find a drag strip that doesn't follow NHRA guidelines

I'm trying to figure out, but what would a Demon owner have to do to legally achieve the numbers Dodge quotes in the press release? Is the below correct?

1. Fill up on race gas (fine)
2. Buy new front tires (or are these a factory option?)
3. Install a roll cage OR find a drag strip that doesn't follow NHRA guidelines

1. Yep
2. Factory option, in the Demon Crate
3. Cage it (no factory option)

It happened guys...

I don't get the hate for a 4 cyl engine if it makes the right power.

That and they're smaller and usually easier to work on, which is a plus for me because I'm too cheap to pay someone to fix my cars.

AlphaSnake

Yeah just like the 718 killed my hype for it, the 4 banger isn't for me no matter how fast it is. It feels (and sounds) wrong in these cars.

I think it replaces the standard V6, not the V6 S.

It does not replace the 340HP V6. The lineup will be:

300HP > 340HP > 380HP > 400HP Sport (one year only) > 550HP > 575HP

I don't get the hate for a 4 cyl engine if it makes the right power.

That and they're smaller and usually easier to work on, which is a plus for me because I'm too cheap to pay someone to fix my cars.

It doesn't make the right vroom vroom noises. Especially when the V6 and V8 engines make just the right sort of vroom vroom noises.

matmanx1

It happened guys...

Hmm so it's a new base model F-Type then. I like the weight savings, that's for sure. Do you know how well the Jag 4 cylinder motors react to being tuned? It could be a bit of a sleeper if you can tune it properly even if it won't sound nearly as sexy as the v6 and v8 models.

Shadoken

It doesn't make the right vroom vroom noises. Especially when the V6 and V8 engines make just the right sort of vroom vroom noises.

Yea but as long as it is not replacing an existing option , I dont see why people would hate it.
I am assuming the new 4cyl is cheaper,lighter and provides better fuel economy. Which makes people who can afford the car now happier. Maybe they dont care much about the sound , or maybe they do but money/weight is a bigger concern.

Yea but as long as it is not replacing an existing option , I dont see why people would hate it.
I am assuming the new 4cyl is cheaper,lighter and provides better fuel economy. Which makes people who can afford the car now happier. Maybe they dont care much about the sound , or maybe they do but money/weight is a bigger concern.

The only concern becomes brand dilution. Part of the sex appeal of a sports car has to be the way it sounds, and when people start seeing Jags roll around that sound kind of whimpy the company runs the risk of people thinking less of the brand. I'm sure it will sound okay for a four, they'll probably make it overly aggressive with open throttle to fill in quality of tone with brashness.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Pulls the Wheels

Fastest quarter-mile car in the world; banned by the NHRA
840 horsepower and 770 pounds-feet of torque from supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® Demon V-8 engine makes Dodge Challenger SRT Demon the most-powerful muscle car ever
Highest horsepower V-8 production car engine ever produced
First-ever front-wheel lift in production car (2.92 feet) as certified by Guinness World Records
World’s fastest quarter-mile production car with an elapsed time (ET) of 9.65 seconds and 140 miles per hour (mph) as certified by National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
Challenger SRT Demon is too fast for the drag strip – officially banned by NHRA
World’s fastest 0-60 production car: 2.3 seconds
0-30 miles per hour: 1.0 second
Highest g-force acceleration of any production car: 1.8 g
Air-Grabber™ induction system includes the largest functional hood scoop (45.2 square inches) of any production car
Significant upgrades to create the Demon engine include:
Larger 2.7-liter per rev supercharger; increased boost pressure to 14.5 psi
Higher rpm limit of 6,500
First-ever factory-production car with innovative SRT Power Chiller™ liquid-to-air intercooler chiller system
First factory-production car with After-Run Chiller that keeps cooling the supercharger/charge air cooler after the engine is shut off
First-ever, factory-production car designed to run on 100+ high-octane unleaded fuel or 91 octane on demand
First-ever, factory-production car with TransBrake for more powerful and quicker launches
First-ever, factory-production drag car with Torque Reserve, to deliver increased levels of power and torque at launch
First-ever, factory-production car with front passenger seat delete
Exclusive, serialized Demon Crate offers components that fully unleash the car’s potential at the drag strip
Challenger SRT Demon is covered by FCA US LLC factory warranty, including three-year/36,000-mile limited vehicle warranty and five-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage
Production of limited-edition single model year (3,000 United States/300 Canada) Challenger SRT Demon begins later this summer; deliveries to Dodge//SRT dealers to begin this fall
All customers who buy the new 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon receive one full-day session at Bob Bondurant School of High-performance Driving
Dodge has named Hagerty as its official insurance provider of the Dodge Challenger SRT Demon

2018-dodge-challenger-srt-demon.jpg

The video that goes with this is a lesson in good salesmanship.

Skel1ingt0n

I'm staying in DC this week, and as I was walking through the parking garage last night, I saw an F-Type that, visually, absolutely stood in the same class as the Aventador and some Maserati I couldn't place parked next to it.

It's a sexxxxxy car, especially in the right color.

I'll try to snap a pic if it's still there this afternoon.

The carbon fiber wheels and accents really sell it:

33869501341_02fb5b09a6_b.jpg

33999204355_b983d132f6_b.jpg

33841484022_5c88708053_b.jpg

No Love

Banned

Dave on fire today. You guys should be clapping, not shitting on him.

The only concern becomes brand dilution. Part of the sex appeal of a sports car has to be the way it sounds, and when people start seeing Jags roll around that sound kind of whimpy the company runs the risk of people thinking less of the brand. I'm sure it will sound okay for a four, they'll probably make it overly aggressive with open throttle to fill in quality of tone with brashness.

This, so damn much. The F-Type is pretty damn special, and sticking a 4 cylinder in it just feels wrong, and offensive. Especially when V6 and V8 options are still available and have not been done away yet due to emission regulations.

F-Types don't shift huge volumes, makes you wonder how much money was thrown at this and if it's going to pay off.

Fox318

Man I'm going car shopping like crazy now.

I wanted a hatchback or a sedan/coupe with a trunk big enough to fit golf clubs and so far I have 2 offers that came my way.

(I'm leasing for now because I plan to buy a nice new car in 2-3 years when hopefully I'm making more)

Honda Civic EX-T and a Ford Fusion SE. I really want the Civic hatchback as that thing looks sick but the lease program isn't as nice for that car.

Top Bottom