• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

burgerdog

Good thing I don't live in America otherwise I wouldn't have bought the Chiron
/s
http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-bugatti-chirons-tacked-on-american-market-bum-1794261027

Jesus, that would explain why the c63 has those ugly ass bumpers near the license plate.

46dc618aebe44036bce71b0d8576588f.jpg

vs

jamsy

I know the feeling. I don't take my car out during hours where I can still see the sun in the Bay Area. It feels like there's heavy traffic everywhere and people just driving poorly, in general. But once 10PM hits, that's when I start taking the car out and stretch its legs. Weekends, that's what East Bay, Highway 1, Skyline, Monterey, and Napa Valley/Sonoma are for!

You should drive the car more often, it looks amazing and I bet it feels amazing when driving it, too.
Ha, I hate driving at night though.

The thing about living in SF is, that yeah, there are lots of great roads nearby, but for a lot of them, once the weekend comes around, and it's nice out and it looks like the perfect day for a drive, well, you'll have thousands of people thinking the same thing, and drive up/down to whatever place they're going to, and you'll be stuck in traffic, making the whole experience pretty awful. The only way to actually enjoy a drive on a nice day on like the PCH or something is to leave at the crack of dawn, so you actually have a couple of hours or relatively empty roads.

Autogaf, I have a question:

I took a loan at a relatively bad rate (around 5%) to buy my car. I still owe something like $38k on it. So at the same time I've been saving up some money to potentially buy some property. Is it better to keep the loan as is, and continue to save up for a down payment or to pay it all off, but then be kind of set back by quite a bit as far as being able to put a decent downpayment on something? I've been thinking it's better to just keep it as is (ie keep paying my $700 every month) but wanted to hear some opinions.

Nafai1123

Banned

I took a loan at a relatively bad rate (around 5%) to buy my car. I still owe something like $38k on it. So at the same time I've been saving up some money to potentially buy some property. Is it better to keep the loan as is, and continue to save up for a down payment or to pay it all off, but then be kind of set back by quite a bit as far as being able to put a decent downpayment on something? I've been thinking it's better to just keep it as is (ie keep paying my $700 every month) but wanted to hear some opinions.

Unless you think the housing market is going to take a dive I would give priority to the down payment. Shit around here just keeps getting more and more expensive every year.

Ha, I hate driving at night though.

The thing about living in SF is, that yeah, there are lots of great roads nearby, but for a lot of them, once the weekend comes around, and it's nice out and it looks like the perfect day for a drive, well, you'll have thousands of people thinking the same thing, and drive up/down to whatever place they're going to, and you'll be stuck in traffic, making the whole experience pretty awful. The only way to actually enjoy a drive on a nice day on like the PCH or something is to leave at the crack of dawn, so you actually have a couple of hours or relatively empty roads.

What vehicle is it? That's a big chunk of change left. If you're not too far upside down I personally would think about getting into something a lot cheaper. Check a loan calculator and find out how much interest you're gonna pay if you finish paying off the loan versus selling the vehicle and getting something inexpensive, imo.

Edit: how many months do you have left on the loan?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hmm so it's a new base model F-Type then. I like the weight savings, that's for sure. Do you know how well the Jag 4 cylinder motors react to being tuned? It could be a bit of a sleeper if you can tune it properly even if it won't sound nearly as sexy as the v6 and v8 models.

It's a new motor, and the XE and F-Pace will be getting it this summer. No word on if it's any good. It'll act as the basis for other Jag motors in the future, possibly. But it's supposed to be all aluminum with forged internals, so yeah...it's going to be able to handle some extra power for sure. Put it this way, in base form, the new Ingenium-4 makes 250HP for the XE. Jag's got it clocked up to 300 for the F-Type. It probably has another 50HP in it.

Damn that's a lot of engines for such a small production car.

It's just 3 engines (2 technically). It's the I4, V6, and V8 all in a different state of tune. And because the V6 is literally just the V8 with two non-functioning empty cylinders, it costs Jaguar nothing to do this.

Bandit1

A few more thoughts on the Dodge Demon:

I can understand Dave's reasoning, even though I disagree. The Demon is impractical, irrational and insane. And maybe that's why I like it. That and a little bit of pride for American muscle. Dodge has a 2+ ton car that some enthusiasts dismiss because of its weight, (even I have at times) and they know it's not going to handle like a Camaro SS 1LE, or a foreign sports car, so Dodge just said, "Screw it, we'll just make it the fastest 1/4 mile production car ever made. We'll build on the Hellcat's reputation and call it the Demon. Instead of 750 or 800 horsepower we'll make it 840. We'll put drag radials on it and when they stick outside the body we'll just put some fender flares on it and it'll pop wheelies because it's an 840 horsepower, supercharged, Hemi-powered mega-beast and that's the car we want to make."

It's kind of like the Viper ACR. In a world of turbocharged supercars and hybrid hypercars with carbon fiber monocoque tubs, adaptive aerodynamics and dual-clutch paddle shifting transmissions Dodge said, "Screw it, we'll just put a huge spoiler and diffuser on the back, and a splitter and canards on the front and make this thing set record lap times with a naturally aspirated V10 and a stick."

I'm not saying that makes the Demon or the ACR better than (insert make/model here) I just think it's pretty cool that Dodge is working with what they've got, using basic things like spoilers/drag radials and making two of the most formidable track machines on the market.

Fox318

I just test drove a Hyundai Elantra Sport.

Am I crazy or is that thing a great value?

I couldn't get a Civic nearly as equiped as I could the Elantra...

No Love

Banned
A few more thoughts on the Dodge Demon:

I can understand Dave's reasoning, even though I disagree. The Demon is impractical, irrational and insane. And maybe that's why I like it. That and a little bit of pride for American muscle. Dodge has a 2+ ton car that some enthusiasts dismiss because of its weight, (even I have at times) and they know it's not going to handle like a Camaro SS 1LE, or a foreign sports car, so Dodge just said, "Screw it, we'll just make it the fastest 1/4 mile production car ever made. We'll build on the Hellcat's reputation and call it the Demon. Instead of 750 or 800 horsepower we'll make it 840. We'll put drag radials on it and when they stick outside the body we'll just put some fender flares on it and it'll pop wheelies because it's an 840 horsepower, supercharged, Hemi-powered mega-beast and that's the car we want to make."

It's kind of like the Viper ACR. In a world of turbocharged supercars and hybrid hypercars with carbon fiber monocoque tubs, adaptive aerodynamics and dual-clutch paddle shifting transmissions Dodge said, "Screw it, we'll just put a huge spoiler and diffuser on the back, and a splitter and canards on the front and make this thing set record lap times with a naturally aspirated V10 and a stick."

I'm not saying that makes the Demon or the ACR better than (insert make/model here) I just think it's pretty cool that Dodge is working with what they've got, using basic things like spoilers/drag radials and making two of the most formidable track machines on the market.

This is really an interesting analysis that made me think twice about it. It makes a lot of sense. I've been thinking a lot about Gen V Vipers and if that's the kind of car that'd speak to me. I mean it does so much right but in a classic, more "natural" fashion.

hwalker84

Cross post from the Demon thread. Meant to post here anyway.

Got her back today. Ceramic coated, xpel clear wrap on the entire front (including hood, a-pillars, rear view mirrors, and behind the rear tires), and tinted windows.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Got her back today. Ceramic coated, xpel clear wrap on the entire front (including hood, a-pillars, rear view mirrors, and behind the rear tires), and tinted windows.

Looks f-ing sick. Those brass monkey rims are killer.

Pinewood

The only concern becomes brand dilution. Part of the sex appeal of a sports car has to be the way it sounds, and when people start seeing Jags roll around that sound kind of whimpy the company runs the risk of people thinking less of the brand. I'm sure it will sound okay for a four, they'll probably make it overly aggressive with open throttle to fill in quality of tone with brashness.

You say that but Jaguar has been running diesel 4 bangers for years now. HERE I COME IN MY LUXURY TRACTOR

SliChillax

Apparently the 4 banger F type is only 1,500 dollars cheaper than the V6. Whoever buys it instead of the V6 is a really cheap disgusting bastard. I'm sure if you have money to buy an F type you can squeeze that much more and get a V6

matmanx1

I just test drove a Hyundai Elantra Sport.

Am I crazy or is that thing a great value?

I couldn't get a Civic nearly as equiped as I could the Elantra...

You aren't crazy. Hyundai's have been a very good value for a while now.

Wow, that looks fantastic. And I second the quote about the wheels. They are seriously good.

Apparently the 4 banger F type is only 1,500 dollars cheaper than the V6. Whoever buys it instead of the V6 is a really cheap disgusting bastard. I'm sure if you have money to buy an F type you can squeeze that much more and get a V6

Would the savings actually be more in Europe due to taxes on engines that use more fuel? I'm not in Europe so I don't have a clear understanding of how that works but maybe Jaguar is trying to appeal to parts of the world that pay more for gas and more in taxes for larger, thirstier engines.

Certainly here in the USA I would buy the most engine that I could afford and with a price difference that small it would be a no brainer to get the V6 over the 4 cylinder.

You say that but Jaguar has been running diesel 4 bangers for years now. HERE I COME IN MY LUXURY TRACTOR

Brand dilution because it's the flagship sports car, for me it's diluting the F-Type specifically rather than the overall brand. 4 pots in the rest of the line up is a must if they want to stay in business.

SummitAve

Banned
I feel like Hellcat is a meaner more powerful sounding name than Demon. I'm trying to think of some better names...

The Dodge Devil
The Dodge Damien
The Dodge Sodom and Gomorrah

KRaZyAmmo

I bet someone is gonna Liberty Walk the Challenger Demon. Someone did it to the Hellcat. Hell the fenders are getting there with the Demon.
hellcat-challenger-2.jpg

Fox318

You aren't crazy. Hyundai's have been a very good value for a while now.
I remember going to the NYC auto show and being so fucking put off by them. Now after test driving it I think I'm gonna pick one up today. I want to test drive a Mazda 3 hatch back but I can't see it beating the price.

I was leaning towards a Civic Turbo but I would be paying more for a weaker engine and it wouldn't be nearly as well equipped.

Plus I can't find a Focus in that price frame. Only Fusions...

Don't Hyundai's still have awful resale value?

I'm leasing right now so I don't really care but everything there drive nice.

h1nch

Dealership gave me a 330e to drive while they do all the maintenance/repair work on my F30.

it's an interesting experience. Don't think I'd ever buy one. Lease maybe...but even then I think i'd prefer to stick to petrol engines, or go full-on electric. Hybrids just seem like such a hack to me.

Bandit1

Okay, so I'm going to get a little heavy on you all today. This would have been my Dad's 61st birthday. I'm not one to make a thread about something like this, so I thought I would just post in here because I can relate to people in this thread better than most people on Neogaf and sometimes it is easier to talk from behind a screen.

For the last few years I've worked on cars with my Dad in his shop. On February 1st we were finishing up a motor swap in his 1 ton Chevy wrecker and we needed a distributor rotor to get it running. My Dad drove to town to go get this small, cheap little part and he was killed in a wreck.

He was driving a machine that we built, though I can't take too much credit, he was always the brain behind the build. This is what we lovingly called "The Combine."

34005798635_6c0c1d2980_c.jpg

It was the cab of an old Massey-Harris Combine on a frame he custom built, with a 500 cubic inch Cadillac that had three 4-barrel carburetors. It rode on factory 3/4 ton Ford truck axles and had power rack and pinion steering. That picture was taken on Texas Motor Speedway at a Goodguys car show. He had driven it thousands of miles and had it up to 100 mph on the Texas track, but he always drove the speed limit out on the road.

From what I know of the wreck he simply got the right side wheels off the road in a bad place and hit an embankment, bringing the wheels off the ground and causing the Combine to roll. He might have been distracted and taken his eyes off the road. He was also a diabetic and it's possible that he could have passed out if his blood sugar was too low.

We took the Combine to a lot of car shows, it won about a dozen trophies, and it was hard to believe how much attention it got. People flocked to it, and never seemed to notice the cars sitting beside it. My Dad loved sitting back and watching people's reactions. It always brought a smile to their face and that may have been what he liked most.

My Dad was the most incredible man I ever knew. He could do anything. If he didn't know how he would figure it out. We'd roll a car in the shop and he'd make a few measurements and then fire up the torch and cut the frame in half, without hesitation because he knew he could fit and weld a subframe to it. He worked harder than anyone I'd ever seen, seven days a week. Loading trailers full of scrap metal for days on end in the summer heat. Pulling cars apart. Cutting, welding, wrenching, painting.

When I was little we built a snowman. A little while later we got in his truck and did donuts in the snow. When we came back to the house I wanted to hit the snowman with the truck. He gunned it and we wiped the snowman out. It busted the grille out of his truck but he didn't care, because I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

When I got a little older I was a huge Jeff Gordon fan. My dad was building a truck and decided to track down the specific paint codes for Gordon's race car and painted the truck all by himself:

15007622778_216aa5cc7b_c.jpg

At some point I saw the movie Smokey and the Bandit. I wanted that black Trans Am so bad. I was so young that I didn't realize my Dad had one until I saw it later, (it happened to be a 79 instead of a 77) My Dad told me if I kept good grades, stayed out of trouble and put the work into it that it would be mine. The car had been wrecked in the driver's side and my Dad cut the car apart at the B-pillar and through the floor to replace the rear quarter and structure. You'd have to pull up the carpeting and see the welds to tell.

33887546971_b0125ae989_c.jpg

33887546341_000af591eb_c.jpg

I was afraid after what happened that I might be afraid of cars or driving, but if anything it has made me want to carry on my Dad's legacy and I hope to have some cool things to share in the next couple months. And when I'm in my car driving down the road by myself I think of all the work we put into it, together, and there's no place I'd rather be.

My Dad taught me everything I know. He was my best friend and I'm so grateful that I was able to spend so much time with him. My parents and I are Christians, and the only thing that makes this any easier is having faith that I will see him again in the next life. As John 3:16 says: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." And as David said after the death of his son in 2nd Samuel 12:23, "I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me."

So until then.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Okay, so I'm going to get a little heavy on you all today

Your dad sounds like an incredible man, and a perfect example of the father-figure we all strive to be when we grow up. I'm really glad to hear you can move on, and let the memories of his legacy keep you strong, rather than just drag you down into a depression - that's exactly what he'd want, I imagine.

You have or plan to have any kids? You'll have some awesome stories to tell them someday, and a symbol for how to behave in front of them. May his legacy live through you and your children and so on :)

So I had a pretty awesome day yesterday.
Drove the Macan GTS around a track at the Porsche Experience here in Atlanta for like 90 minutes or so. Holy crap, is this SUV awesome and I never thought I'd say that. 0-60 in 5 seconds which is pretty awesome imo.
Plus, I took it around this little wet circle that they had in there and was able to drift it a bit as well which I've never done before. Entire experience was awesome. 80k for a vehicle like this ain't half bad lol.
Photos in the links below. :D
http://imgur.com/FDo7qy3
http://imgur.com/MGNinj1
http://imgur.com/X6SoA9j
http://imgur.com/GNLLLJ5

SliChillax

Okay, so I'm going to get a little heavy on you all today. This would have been my Dad's 61st birthday. I'm not one to make a thread about something like this, so I thought I would just post in here because I can relate to people in this thread better than most people on Neogaf and sometimes it is easier to talk from behind a screen.

For the last few years I've worked on cars with my Dad in his shop. On February 1st we were finishing up a motor swap in his 1 ton Chevy wrecker and we needed a distributor rotor to get it running. My Dad drove to town to go get this small, cheap little part and he was killed in a wreck.

He was driving a machine that we built, though I can't take too much credit, he was always the brain behind the build. This is what we lovingly called "The Combine."

34005798635_6c0c1d2980_c.jpg

It was the cab of an old Massey-Harris Combine on a frame he custom built, with a 500 cubic inch Cadillac that had three 4-barrel carburetors. It rode on factory 3/4 ton Ford truck axles and had power rack and pinion steering. That picture was taken on Texas Motor Speedway at a Goodguys car show. He had driven it thousands of miles and had it up to 100 mph on the Texas track, but he always drove the speed limit out on the road.

From what I know of the wreck he simply got the right side wheels off the road in a bad place and hit an embankment, bringing the wheels off the ground and causing the Combine to roll. He might have been distracted and taken his eyes off the road. He was also a diabetic and it's possible that he could have passed out if his blood sugar was too low.

We took the Combine to a lot of car shows, it won about a dozen trophies, and it was hard to believe how much attention it got. People flocked to it, and never seemed to notice the cars sitting beside it. My Dad loved sitting back and watching people's reactions. It always brought a smile to their face and that may have been what he liked most.

My Dad was the most incredible man I ever knew. He could do anything. If he didn't know how he would figure it out. We'd roll a car in the shop and he'd make a few measurements and then fire up the torch and cut the frame in half, without hesitation because he knew he could fit and weld a subframe to it. He worked harder than anyone I'd ever seen, seven days a week. Loading trailers full of scrap metal for days on end in the summer heat. Pulling cars apart. Cutting, welding, wrenching, painting.

When I was little we built a snowman. A little while later we got in his truck and did donuts in the snow. When we came back to the house I wanted to hit the snowman with the truck. He gunned it and we wiped the snowman out. It busted the grille out of his truck but he didn't care, because I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

When I got a little older I was a huge Jeff Gordon fan. My dad was building a truck and decided to track down the specific paint codes for Gordon's race car and painted the truck all by himself:

15007622778_216aa5cc7b_c.jpg

At some point I saw the movie Smokey and the Bandit. I wanted that black Trans Am so bad. I was so young that I didn't realize my Dad had one until I saw it later, (it happened to be a 79 instead of a 77) My Dad told me if I kept good grades, stayed out of trouble and put the work into it that it would be mine. The car had been wrecked in the driver's side and my Dad cut the car apart at the B-pillar and through the floor to replace the rear quarter and structure. You'd have to pull up the carpeting and see the welds to tell.

33887546971_b0125ae989_c.jpg

33887546341_000af591eb_c.jpg

I was afraid after what happened that I might be afraid of cars or driving, but if anything it has made me want to carry on my Dad's legacy and I hope to have some cool things to share in the next couple months. And when I'm in my car driving down the road by myself I think of all the work we put into it, together, and there's no place I'd rather be.

My Dad taught me everything I know. He was my best friend and I'm so grateful that I was able to spend so much time with him. My parents and I are Christians, and the only thing that makes this any easier is having faith that I will see him again in the next life. As John 3:16 says: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." And as David said after the death of his son in 2nd Samuel 12:23, "I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me."

So until then.

Thank you for this amazing post, very touching. I wish I had the same relationship with my father. He's really into cars and his dream was to open a garage with me but he is always busy with work that he never has time to spend with me, let alone build something together. You father sounds like an amazing person, he is in car heaven right now I'm sure.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
World Car of the Year was announced at the NY Auto Show today. Winner?

1492040504993.jpg

If you guys recall, we had this discussion many months back in the last thread and I said that logically the F-Pace should be the winner. The motoring world agreed. Jaguar is probably feeling so high right now.

Yeah, that is extremely weird. Because you can already have an F-Type for under 60K if you just get the V6 at invoice.

Sounds to me like they're doing this for some kind of emissions/MPG regulation purposes worldwide.

matmanx1

Man the rumors of the next BMW 1 series being fwd makes me sad.

I thought it was more than a rumor? I thought it was already a done deal and that they were using the same platform as the new Mini. I could be way off on that though.

Okay, so I'm going to get a little heavy on you all today..

Saying "thank you for sharing" on the internet can come across as trite and cliched but I truly mean I appreciate you sharing about your experiences with your Dad. I have a similar relationship with my father and he's always been very supportive of my car habits and is an enthusiast himself. In fact, I hope he and I can go to the Porsche Experience Center for a drive together later this year down in Atlanta.

So I had a pretty awesome day yesterday.
Drove the Macan GTS around a track at the Porsche Experience here in Atlanta for like 90 minutes or so. Holy crap, is this SUV awesome and I never thought I'd say that. 0-60 in 5 seconds which is pretty awesome imo.
Plus, I took it around this little wet circle that they had in there and was able to drift it a bit as well which I've never done before. Entire experience was awesome. 80k for a vehicle like this ain't half bad lol.
Photos in the links below. :D
http://imgur.com/FDo7qy3
http://imgur.com/MGNinj1
http://imgur.com/X6SoA9j
http://imgur.com/GNLLLJ5

Your story is a pretty incredible segue considering I was just talking about the Porsche Experience Center and drove a Macan GTS when I went back in February! Glad you had fun. The Macan GTS is seriously capable and fun for a little SUV. I would put one in my driveway in a heartbeat.

Okay, so I'm going to get a little heavy on you all today.

I really don't know what to say besides thanks for sharing your story.

414hp. 8200rpm redline. 6sp.
You know you want it.

Lol.

Honestly my only worry with it is the cost of ownership. I know they're a little more reliable than your average BMW, but if shit breaks, I feel like I might be putting an entire month's worth of a paycheck to get it fixed haha. Especially since it's gonna be a daily driver for me.

I wonder how much abuse would it be to put at least 1200 miles a month in an M3... looks like I gotta do some research haha.

No Love

Banned

Lol.

Honestly my only worry with it is the cost of ownership. I know they're a little more reliable than your average BMW, but if shit breaks, I feel like I might be putting an entire month's worth of a paycheck to get it fixed haha. Especially since it's gonna be a daily driver for me.

I wonder how much abuse would it be to put at least 1200 miles a month in an M3... looks like I gotta do some research haha.

It's not that expensive. It's gotta be cheaper to run than an E39 M5... Lol 😄

Bandit1

Your dad sounds like an incredible man, and a perfect example of the father-figure we all strive to be when we grow up. I'm really glad to hear you can move on, and let the memories of his legacy keep you strong, rather than just drag you down into a depression - that's exactly what he'd want, I imagine.

You have or plan to have any kids? You'll have some awesome stories to tell them someday, and a symbol for how to behave in front of them. May his legacy live through you and your children and so on :)

Single and no kids, but if I ever have any I will have some awesome stories indeed.

Thank you for this amazing post, very touching. I wish I had the same relationship with my father. He's really into cars and his dream was to open a garage with me but he is always busy with work that he never has time to spend with me, let alone build something together. You father sounds like an amazing person, he is in car heaven right now I'm sure.

Saying "thank you for sharing" on the internet can come across as trite and cliched but I truly mean I appreciate you sharing about your experiences with your Dad. I have a similar relationship with my father and he's always been very supportive of my car habits and is an enthusiast himself. In fact, I hope he and I can go to the Porsche Experience Center for a drive together later this year down in Atlanta.

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys, it really does mean a lot to me.

golem

Your dad sounds like an awesome guy. Its great that you could share a passion with him that brought you closer together and I'm sure you will continue to do him proud. Although my parents are super confounded by my car hoarding I definitely know I got my interest in computers and random useless gadgets from my pops. Thanks for sharing

Pinewood

Okay, so I'm going to get a little heavy on you all today.

This is really sad to read, didnt expect it to hit me like it did. You had a great relationship with your dad and got to spend time doing something you both loved. A lot of people dont have that, so you got really lucky having a great father.

Makes me want to push my dad into getting a hobby car so we could spend more time together.

Lol.

Depends. It needs premo gas and I can get it down into the single digit MPG range around town.
I did get 25 mpg on a highway trip to DC onetime.

Ive put 8k miles on it since ive had it and the only thing ive replaced is the waterpump/thermostat and an idler pulley. Luckily I had a dealer hookup and got all of my parts at cost. The S65 waterpump list is something like $500 retail but list price is only like 80. They are charging out the ass for any part that is labeled with an M sticker.

This car has already had the throttle body actuators done, which costs like 2k to do at the dealer.

grendelrt

Lol.

I had a e92 m3 for about 5 years. I averaged 17mpg with mixed HW and local driving. Highway I would get between 23-25mpg. The only issue I had with the car in 5 years was that the transmission pan seal started to leak, otherwise I just did fluid changes. That model M3 was the most reliable BMW during its life. But that can always come down to luck of the draw :O Bearings can be an issue at higher mileage, I sold mine at around 85K if I remember correctly.

Anion

I'm so sorry for your loss :(
Your father must have been an amazing man.

My father and I always talk about working on a project kit car. Though that is nothing like how awesome your projects were, I hope someday we can share that passion in a way like how you and your father have. That truly is beautiful.

Futaba

Okay, so I'm going to get a little heavy on you all today. This would have been my Dad's 61st birthday. I'm not one to make a thread about.
I've tried to avoid responding to this post because it hit's a little too close to home for me, but It's been on my mind all day so I figure I'll just reply in kind.

Had a similar experience, what got me into vehicles and wrenching on cars was my pops getting me to help out with restoration projects from a young age, in hindsight he was far more trusting of me than I would be with a kid of a similar age, I don't have access to them now since they're all the way back in my home country but somewhere I still have polaroids of me around 11 years old, doing welding work on a Mk1 ford capri, and another, roughly the same year, covered in oil working on an engine.
My 12th birthday present was a rusty old TR6 that I worked on for years, finished it a few months before I passed my test (though I had learned how to drive stick by 13 from my pops), he was always there to help and explain the process to fix various things, how to use different tools properly, that sort of thing, and I've carried that knowledge with me ever since.

In the early 2000's when I was still in my late teens, we decided we would restore two cars and do a road trip across europe together in them, we ended up buying a '71 mk1 ford escort (his), and a rustbox Lamborghini Espada, we were making great progress on them both and were looking to have them both fully restored by late 2005, unfortunately in feb of 2004 he was taken ill with a collapsed lung which eventually turned out to be a result of asbestosis from expose to asbestos fibres dumped in a field where he used to play when he was young, after a series of tests he was found to have the early stages of mesothelioma and given an estimate of 8 months, he managed to hold out until july 2015, twice as long as he had been estimated, but the last 2 months were utterly hell.

When he finally passed though, It didn't really hit me that hard, mainly because we had known about it, and in the first 6 or so months he was able to carry on with life as if he were fine, so a lot of things got ticked off the bucket list and I was greatful for having that opportunity, I can't imagine how much harder it is not to have that forewarning and just lose a parent out of the blue.

What *really* hurt though was that a few months after he passed, we had taken a short family holiday on what would have been his birthday, just to spend time as family and remember the good times, but while we were away doing that, thieves broke in to our garage and stole both vehicles, most of the tools, bikes, my old Honda Genesis, basically anything they could grab, so we returned home to find the garage empty, and deep wheel tracks where they had brought in a trailer and taken one car, then come back again a few additional times to take everything else.

At the time my parents house was off on it's own somewhat in the countryside, so despite the police being called neither car was ever found, nor any of the other stuff that was stolen.

I hope some day i'll be able to find a similar spec mk1 escort in a similar state so I can restore it to how my pops was doing his, If i manage that, it'll be a for-life car for sure.

Sorry to drag the thread down with sad stuff like this, just couldn't shake the need to get it out of my system.

Top Bottom