• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Am I the only who teared up when MightyCarMods' Cresta hit 9.9 at the strip?

Something about the 80's music and the excitement behind it was just amazing.

Y'all need to watch it if you haven't... grab some snacks though, it's 30+ minutes of greatness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUpfSUKVjYc

Love me some MCM and that was one of their better videos recently. I loved the style of the whole thing and the synthwave inspired music/graphics just worked so well with it. Loved it.

Been watching the 812 Superfast videos on YouTube today. That engine and exhaust sound glorious.

How much longer are cars like that gonna be around before we are all driving electric? :(

Keep wondering about that myself, though they keep releasing cars like this...

Something else that I've been thinking about... we're all reasonably intelligent men and women in here, I assume - or I don't think we have that many creationist climate change denier types in this thread. So how would everyone (well maybe not everyone, but the petrolheads specifically) feel about say, a worldwide ban on anything petrol powered?

(Provided that the alternatives are somewhat affordable and proven to actually have less of an impact on the environment.)

Something else that I've been thinking about... we're all reasonably intelligent men and women in here, I assume - or I don't think we have that many creationist climate change denier types in this thread. So how would everyone (well maybe not everyone, but the petrolheads specifically) feel about say, a worldwide ban on anything petrol powered?

(Provided that the alternatives are somewhat affordable and proven to actually have less of an impact on the environment.)

Never. The furthest I'd go is required E85 conversion kits for collectibles and lack of registration renewal for beaters. Even that's pushing it. These things are a significant part of American cultural history and need to be treated with the proper respect.

Really, all you need is solar and wind to be cheaper than coal and oil without subsidies and it's just a matter of when the internal combustion engine dies. We're already pretty much there.

Put another way, the crossover is now the most popular vehicle type in America. Most vehicles are bought for their appliance like properties, not for how fun they are to drive. Electric vehicles have several advantages over gas ones in this department. Less engine noise, no engine compartment needed, flexible battery shape and placement. Less moving parts. Silent, self driving living rooms are the future. Tesla screwed up with the model X but I still fully expect that to be the shape these things take.

There can and should still be room for auto enthusiasts in all this though and I'll always advocate for that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Alright, as promised. Pics of the drop. Notice when exiting my driveway, the sideskirt/rocker panel is very close to scraping (look at where the dirt/sand behind the front wheel ends, and below that is the ground). This drop is about the maximum I'd recommend for an XKR. The wheels need more offset, so there's still some of that 'negative' space that needs to be filled in.

Click to expand in quotes:

M9PEvGv.jpg

And of course...the good ol' finger measure. It's 1.5 fingers. Down from 3.5.

Bandit1

giphy.gif

madmax-furyroad-gifs-15-26583.gif

#guzzoline4life
#burningdinosaurbones

I mean I think the masses will convert to EVs on their own over time as those cars become more available, reliable, and affordable. They will find convenience in just being able to plug their car in for the night and take off the next morning. I think the government should just let it play out naturally. I'll keep my V8s though.

- drop looks good Alpha, very classy.

Hey bro, I'm hitting up a JZ meet near Daikoku this weekend with a youtuber friend, and likely Daikoku afterwards, will snap you some shots of the crazy JDM jz's!

Whoa wait... you're hanging out with Alexi Smith?! Either way sounds amazing, and I can't wait to see these pictures!!!

SliChillax

Jaguar E-Pace practically leaked. Very F-Type inspired. It's using a diamond-shaped headlight that's based on the 2018 facelifted F-Type. Interior has a shift knob just like the F-Type, as well. The car is looking lovely and practically finished. Will be revealed very soon.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/20/2018-jaguar-e-pace-spy-shots/

I hate it, not because it looks ugly but they are milking the design elements of the F-Type and putting them on every car possible which makes the F-Type less special. I don't want my F-Type to look like a small size SUV and share components with a car made for soccer moms in mind.

AlphaSnake

I hate it, not because it looks ugly but they are milking the design elements of the F-Type and putting them on every car possible which makes the F-Type less special. I don't want my F-Type to look like a small size SUV and share components with a car made for soccer moms in mind.

It is the way of the industry. You take a halo car and assign visual bits and pieces to lesser cars.

I think Jaguar is being a bit reserved, to be honest. The headlights are a different shape - just have a similar internal LED housing. The taillights are more like the XF's taillights, just thinner. And the interior, well...it's just the shifter. Truth be told, all luxury makes follow this formula. It's what makes the brand distinct.

At least it's not like Mercedes where the S, E, and C are practically indistinguishable. :p

There's no way to ban petroleum because something like 25% of the world's petroleum is used to make things like plastics and you can't replace those with anything.

There's no need to ban petroleum because market forces are already in play and within a decade clean renewable energy sources will be cheaper and they are obviously more efficient. The days when people drive guzzoline cars are numbered simply because the day is coming when the dinosaurs will cost more than the electrons and then people will simply stop buying dinosaur power.

It's important to realize that average car is driven for 15 years so total replacement of the world's operating automobile fleet will take at least that long but when the inflection point arrives it will happen very suddenly and one day sales of new cars will be 99% electric and 1% Paleozoic.

People will still buy and collect cars with internal combustion engines but they will be treated as museum pieces and driven only rarely to enthusiast gatherings for the most part. No one will bother even racing ICE vehicles soon enough when electric ones will casually walk away from them all the way from zero to 200 mph and do it without making a sound loud enough to wake the dead.

I'm the biggest Tesla fan on this forum probably and I still want to pickup a nice Cayman or something within the next 5-10 years to annoy people on the roads with on weekends. I'm never going to commute to work on fossil fuels ever again though. If gas stations start dying out it might actually be hard to find guzzoline for it someday.

SliChillax

It is the way of the industry. You take a halo car and assign visual bits and pieces to lesser cars.

I think Jaguar is being a bit reserved, to be honest. The headlights are a different shape - just have a similar internal LED housing. The taillights are more like the XF's taillights, just thinner. And the interior, well...it's just the shifter. Truth be told, all luxury makes follow this formula. It's what makes the brand distinct.

At least it's not like Mercedes where the S, E, and C are practically indistinguishable. :p

I know why it happens, it's also cost cutting. It's why I would struggle to convince myself to buy an AMG GT if I had the money, you get that same steering wheel in a 20,000 euro A-Class diesel ffs.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Auto GAF needs a heel. I could be the heel. I could be your Kurt Angle. My music would start playing, I would strut down the ramp, and sound of the crowd yelling "YOU SUCK!" in sync to my music would rain down on me and shake the whole arena.

I got my Model S. Sorry for the bad pictures, it was already getting dark when I found this empty parking lot to take these shots.

Driving this car is a bit ridiculous. There isn't any soulful roaring of exploding dinosaurs in a metal box to let me know I'm accelerating. I just floor it and I'm at 100 mph with nothing but the sound of the tires on the road and a subtle whine from the electric motors as they are fed many electrons. This isn't even the P90D, although the Ludicrous is really only for launching from a standing start, at cruising speeds you get the same effect from a regular 90D that you would from a P90D or P100D. Of couse if your goal is 2.3 seconds from 0-60 you need the P100D. I'm content to settle for 3.8 seconds from 0-60. I opted for the regular 90D instead of the P90D because first it was way cheaper and second the range is longer than the P90D because the rear motor is smaller.

It's like playing F-Zero or Wipeout or something as opposed to Forza. There's no throttle to open, no turbo to spool up, no transmission to downshift, or anything really. Below the top speed of 155 mph, I more or less control my speed dynamically, because acceleration is instantaneous, absolute, and always at the maximum available until I hit the speed governor. The torque curve on an electric motor is essentially flat from zero to top speed, so I have 485 lb-ft from standing until the software says i'm not allowed to go any faster.

I was cruising along on my way home and I saw an STI blow by me and I was like okay, let's stretch her legs a little bit so I followed him in his Rex for awhile at 90 mph until he exited the freeway. That was fun. For a car with a curb weight of 5,800 lbs. it feels pretty amazingly planted, the STI is roughly half my car's weight but this is a car which doesn't drive heavy because of the low center of gravity and the pleasant weight distribution of 48/52 front/rear which emphasizes the sheer insane acceleration of the car. I didn't have any problems following the STI around but I let him take point because I figured the cops would nail the car in the lead so I just stayed with him.

As a daily driver this is probably a little overkill for American freeways. Oh well.

Congratulations.

It also has the best cruise control programming of any car I've ever owned. I've found that most cars get slightly lower fuel economy in CC; the Tesla does a near-perfect job of maximizing efficiency. With Autopilot, it is literally 'set and forget it' on the highway.

Last night, a guy in an Evo tried to pass - he gave up at 130.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just got some scratches and dings on my bumper fixed and I have to say they did an ASTONISHING job. It was this outfit:

http://sameday-usa.com/

They came to my house, put a tarp above the car and filled in several gouges, eliminatd a crack and resprayed paint so perfectly that I can't even see where and actually had to look at the "before" photos to remember. What was really amazing was that one of the little flush grommets that pop off for maintenance got scratched and warped, but somehow he restored it to perfection.

All in an hour and a half, and for just under $600. Car is new again!

I just got some scratches and dings on my bumper fixed and I have to say they did an ASTONISHING job. It was this outfit:

http://sameday-usa.com/

They came to my house, put a tarp above the car and filled in several gouges, eliminatd a crack and resprayed paint so perfectly that I can't even see where and actually had to look at the "before" photos to remember. What was really amazing was that one of the little flush grommets that pop off for maintenance got scratched and warped, but somehow he restored it to perfection.

All in an hour and a half, and for just under $600. Car is new again!

My next door neighbor had these guys come to fix the curb rashed wheels on his Tesla. He has the fancy 21 inch ones and I was pretty skeptical that they could be fixed. But the guy came in, pulled the wheels, repaired and re painted them and they look good as new. It was amazing.

burgerdog

Alright, as promised. Pics of the drop. Notice when exiting my driveway, the sideskirt/rocker panel is very close to scraping (look at where the dirt/sand behind the front wheel ends, and below that is the ground). This drop is about the maximum I'd recommend for an XKR. The wheels need more offset, so there's still some of that 'negative' space that needs to be filled in.

Looks great, Alpha. I didn't know you were about dat fish bowl life, though.

matmanx1

Looks beautiful, Alpha. Nice job!

AlphaSnake

Nexus 6P Master race represent

Car looks great, only thing I'd do is get wider wheels or spacers (not too wide) so the car will sit better.

If you only knew how much time I've spent looking for wheels. Finding wheels for Jags is infuriating, because our bolt pattern fucking sucks. I don't like the OEM 19s much and I'm dying for something new.

I may try to hunt down Gyrodyne 20s from the F-Type R.

AlphaSnake

E-Pace leaks ahead of July 13th reveal:
jagepaceannouncementpacefamily21061704.jpg

And a teaser:
E-PACE_Tease+Image.jpg

It's going to be larger than an X1/GLA, but smaller than an X3 it seems.

Porsche Won’t Acknowledge That The 2018 911 GT2 RS Exists

Funniest shit I've read all day, coming from the Porsche rep Jalopnik is emailing:

Earlier this month, Microsoft released its’ [sic] new video game Forza 7 at the E3 in Los Angeles. Speculations regarding a possible new Porsche GT model have surfaced surrounding the presentation of the game. As a matter of policy, Porsche will not comment on these speculations.

We will be sure to share any official press release and photography with you when any future product is officially announced.

Lmao wat.

Did Microsoft and Porsche troll us during E3???

time for an official neogaf japan car meet. It'll be at futaba's place, lol.

If this is a real thing, sign me up!

Obviously I can't bring my Miata with me, but I'll definitely show up lol. I've actually seen some relatively cheap roundtrip tickets recently and I've been debating about buying them or not but I don't wanna go solo... though more importantly the only Japanese words I know are "hai, itadakimasu, and nani" so I feel like I'm probably gonna get lost and shit haha.

Futaba

time for an official neogaf japan car meet. It'll be at futaba's place, lol.

I propose a better idea, everyone rents themselves a decent/sporty car from somewhere like omoshiro, and we do a gaf road trip of japan, gumball style (minus the speeding), riverside BBQ's in the evenings, togues in the mornings!

Futaba

I wonder if anyone will ever break the 397 lap wall set by a Porsche 917K in 1971, and matched by the Audi R15 TDI in 2010.
Interestingly, the lap record of 397 matched by the Audi R15 was a total distance of 75km further than the one set in 1971 due to minor course changes over the years, so technically the 2010 record would have been 402 (maybe even 403) laps of the old course in 1971

I legit can't wait to see someone break that 400 on the current course.

Culex

Banned
I really wish Saab hadn't gone bankrupt. They had some interesting renders and sketches of future cars. My Turbo X is definitely aging but I can't help repairing it every time something goes wrong. Not many in the USA.

SliChillax

They released the GT2. The headline you posted is of the GT2 RS.
Says pretty clearly GT2 RS on the side there. I assume they don't acknowledge it because it's a representative of Porsche North America, I'm sure if they sent an email to Porsche Germany the answer would be different assuming they are more updated on unreleased models.

eylzknaxeshrjs8oxyf3.png

New Camaro ZL1 1LE ran the Ring in 7:16.04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zSIVpVMaw
This is mental

What is the point of this car? The capability of some of these newer track-focused cars are so far above what you can employ on the road that it's absurd. Even on track nobody is going to be pushing these things to their limits, and god help the poor instructor that gets stuck with a novice driving one at their first HPDE.

I just don't get it.

matmanx1

E-Pace leaks ahead of July 13th reveal:
jagepaceannouncementpacefamily21061704.jpg

And a teaser:
E-PACE_Tease+Image.jpg

It's going to be larger than an X1/GLA, but smaller than an X3 it seems.

I like it. It has better proportions than the already good looking F-Pace. It could do huge numbers depending on the price, performance and availability.

Hype video!

https://youtu.be/cJRBiMUdrWE

Makes me proud to be part of the Porsche family, both as an owner and employee. :)

/salute Crazy win, right? No one expected that outcome and certainly not in the early part of the race. Never give up, indeed.

burgerdog

What is the point of this car? The capability of some of these newer track-focused cars are so far above what you can employ on the road that it's absurd. Even on track nobody is going to be pushing these things to their limits, and god help the poor instructor that gets stuck with a novice driving one at their first HPDE.

I just don't get it.

I feel like I've read this exact post not too long ago. Am I crazy or do you guys remember something similar? :lol Here we go again.

297.png

SliChillax

I just don't get it.

Come on man, what kind of enthusiast are you for not appreciating all the mechanical engineering that goes into a 70,000 dollar car to post such a lap time? Are you one of those people that say what's the point of 300hp and more when you have speed limits? I disagree about everything that you said, that car has to be celebrated not questioned. The fact that it can do that lap time shows how good and stable it is. Sure you might not post the same lap time if you drive it on the Ring, but the downforce, traction and overall stability surely will give you some sense of pleasure instead of making you question what's the point. Were you also calling the Dodge Demon stupid for being too fast in a straight line and somone made a post about how everything has to be an air cooled Porsche for you to appreciate? I'm starting to think that post wasn't sarcastic.

AlphaSnake

I feel like I've read this exact post not too long ago. Am I crazy or do you guys remember something similar? :lol Here we go again.

297.png

We have.

I saw a new ZL1 yesterday, in blue, driven by a woman. Was really tempted to talk to her to figure out if she knew what she was driving. Tried to take a pic though, and the damn phone focused on my dash and the background was all blurry. :|

SliChillax

We have.

I saw a new ZL1 yesterday, in blue, driven by a woman. Was really tempted to talk to her to figure out if she knew what she was driving. Tried to take a pic though, and the damn phone focused on my dash and the background was all blurry. :|

I know you don't like the 6gen Camaro from the exterior, what did you think of the ZL1? I haven't seen one in person cause here in Italy it's more common to see a unicorn but in pictures I prefer the front end of the SS much more cause the ZL1 seems a bit overdone. I'm currently saving up for one though when the refresh hits next year.

v1lla21

The best Camaro keeps getting better. I love the new ones so much. Pretty fucking impressive. To think I would change my opinion on them from one gen to the next.

burgerdog

I know you don't like the 6gen Camaro from the exterior, what did you think of the ZL1? I haven't seen one in person cause here in Italy it's more common to see a unicorn but in pictures I prefer the front end of the SS much more cause the ZL1 seems a bit overdone. I'm currently saving up for one though when the refresh hits next year.

http://www.stonechevytulare.com/Veh...rolet-Camaro-2dr_Cpe_ZL1-Tulare-CA/2998987623

All our company trucks come from this dealer so we get a 4,000-5,000 reduction if we buy a vehicle from them. Fucking insane that I could walk out the door with a ZL1 for $59/60k.

Come on man, what kind of enthusiast are you for not appreciating all the mechanical engineering that goes into a 70,000 dollar car to post such a lap time? Are you one of those people that say what's the point of 300hp and more when you have speed limits? I disagree about everything that you said, that car has to be celebrated not questioned. The fact that it can do that lap time shows how good and stable it is. Sure you might not post the same lap time if you drive it on the Ring, but the downforce, traction and overall stability surely will give you some sense of pleasure instead of making you question what's the point. Were you also calling the Dodge Demon stupid for being too fast in a straight line and somone made a post about how everything has to be an air cooled Porsche for you to appreciate? I'm starting to think that post wasn't sarcastic.

A driving enthusiast.

I think the progression of capability in cars is something impressive, but at a certain point does it become too much for a road car? That's really the question I'm asking.

I've also lost interest in track time bragging, because for some of them it's just a matter of "how undriveable do we make this car on the road to make it fast on the track?" Put a shitty interior in a GT2 car and oh wow, cool, record lap time at the Nurburgring great job everybody.

Don't get me wrong, it's impressive as an engineering feat, but would I care to drive it? Yeah maybe for a laugh, but I'm not Randy Pobst so I'll never be fast in it and it's so far above my skill level I couldn't safely drive it. That's where I question its existence. Edit: Or rather the reason for it, what's it for? Is it a track car? A road car? A collector's item? What is it?

Top Bottom