• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Pretty sure Kuroko already outcrazy Space Jam.

tumblr_nq9g9zaRgf1r3rdh2o1_540.gif

they even ball in legit outer space

Line_HTX

WHy would you want an anime vers of Space Jam? Mighty Ducks is more funn

:MJCry

Food Wars 22

Alice is AWP, plz noif. Wish that mad scientist closeup to her face didn't look so shearp.

Hojo got shown Megumi's lihgt. Brute force won' get respect. Megumi got the back of the touhg dudess back home.

This group judge is over, and now back to the main group. Need to see dis supposefd Unlimtd SPice Workss wit his formula application and all the other spicy stufff

Quasar

Sakurako-san 1-2 - Enjoying this even if its just anime Bones. But then I liked early Bones (just as I did early Castle), till I guess the Moonlighting curse kicked in.

The show really is pretty down on the competence of japanese police.

Sölf

This implies you stopped watching Gintama which also implies you make bad decisions.

And we all hope that's not true.

I watched Shirobaki yesterday. EP 9-16... xD
God, I don't know what it is with this show, but I could just watch one episode after another. Will probably watch at least 4 today again. More likely finish it.

Jintor

Sölf;181754049 said:
And we all hope that's not true.

I watched Shirobaki yesterday. EP 9-16... xD
God, I don't know what it is with this show, but I could just watch one episode after another. Will probably watch at least 4 today again. More likely finish it.

I did. 18 episodes in a day. fantastic anime.

MrChom

Or if you're really short on time and not interested in seeing a big mecha adventure, watch War in the Pocket.

That one is only 6 episodes long and contains the most heart-wrenching story in all of Gundam. It's one of the highest points of the franchise and has quite a different story from all the other Gundam shows.

I was looking forward to War in the Pocket having seen and enjoyed 0079 (series), 0083, and Zeta. Then I watched it and came away unimpressed. I mean it's not technically bad as much as it is dull, and then kills off a character in a way that makes you feel very little.

I know I'd get shouted down for it but I'd still point to Gundam Seed (or at least its HD incarnation) as being possibly the finest Gundam I've ever seen....even if Kira's VA doesn't seem to have grasped how humans cry.

Mendrox

Nope, and I'm stopping this show

I've got at least a thousand better things I could be watching.

Mikan does not join the harem. Mikan has her own harem with Yami.

Also you should skip To Love-Ru and straight watch the OVAs, Motto and Darkness 1st. First season is the worse.

I was looking forward to War in the Pocket having seen and enjoyed 0079 (series), 0083, and Zeta. Then I watched it and came away unimpressed. I mean it's not technically bad as much as it is dull, and
then kills off a character in a way that makes you feel very little.
I know I'd get shouted down for it but I'd still point to Gundam Seed (or at least its HD incarnation) as being possibly the finest Gundam I've ever seen....even if Kira's VA doesn't seem to have grasped how humans cry.

Ok, first off, could you spoiler that please?

Second, as much as I enjoyed Gundam SEED, it's not without its faults. The entire thing is basically just the original Gundam again, and it only really gets good in the moments where it deviates from the original in the show's second half. But even then, Kira is nowhere near as good a character as Amuro, Rau le Creuset isn't the best Char clone out there, and that's not to mention a bunch of other flaws the show has.

Again, this is coming from someone who really enjoyed SEED.

But really, G Gundam is the real best Gundam ever made.

Watching Gundamn 0080 and the MC just realizes that
gundams' design of the guys he's been helping belongs to the enemies.

Yeh, I'm starting to believe Phaze's "worse than Renton". Just lol. Excusing it with 'he's a little kid' won't do for me, not considering all the events that have taken place and him
seemingly being somewhat of a Gundam enthusiast or so. Otherwise pretty meh so far overall. It's been fairly obvious where this is heading early on and since I have zero investment in this franchise I don't know and care much about the gundams themselves either.

edit: Eh apparently those mobile suits aren't even gundams /shrug.

Yeh, I'm starting to believe Phaze's "worse than Renton". Just lol. Excusing it with 'he's a little kid' won't do for me, not considering all the events that have taken place and him
seemingly being somewhat of a Gundam enthusiast or so. Otherwise pretty meh so far overall. It's been fairly obvious where this is heading early on and since I have zero investment in this franchise I don't know and care much about the gundams themselves either.

The "he's a kid" excuse works in this scenario though. He's ignorant. He likes giant robots. He think the guys who pilot the giant robots are cool. He doesn't think too hard about the events that happened around him because he's choosing to stay optimistic.

I'm going to hold off on saying anything further until you finish the last episode though, because it's that last episode really makes the show worth it.

Jintor

Hyouka 01

Man, this feels special. You really do see KyoAni's production values; even if the school feels empty, it feels... lived in-empty. Not cheap budget empty, just... like, all the clubs are doing whatever empty. There's always movement and stuff.

MC seems a bit Kyon-like, but oddly younger. No Sugita voice I guess.

Dream sequences were interesting. MC is like bored sherlock I guess? There was a classics piece near the end of the first mystery that I recognised but forgot the name of. I'll have to look it up later.

classic bach cello suite

I can only assume the people complaining about Albert in War in the Pocket have not interacted with young children in a while.

Beyond that, prior investment with the franchise is not necessary to appreciate War in the Pocket. I had not really watched anything Gundam before I watched this, and I loved it. Especially since War in the Pocket did not have any involvement from Tomino, it carries a different tone than a lot of other Gundam entries.

Hyouka 01

Man, this feels special. You really do see KyoAni's production values; even if the school feels empty, it feels... lived in-empty. Not cheap budget empty, just... like, all the clubs are doing whatever empty. There's always movement and stuff.

Just wait until you get to the festival arc. Never seen a more vividly active portrayal of a school before (except perhaps in the opening scenes of Beautiful Dreamer, but that's kind of different).

MC seems a bit Kyon-like, but oddly younger. No Sugita voice I guess.

Dream sequences were interesting. MC is like bored sherlock I guess? There was a classics piece near the end of the first mystery that I recognised but forgot the name of. I'll have to look it up later.

classic bach cello suite

The pieces that were quoted in the Hyouka soundtrack are, to my memory, the Prelude from Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, Bach's Air on the G String, and Faure's Sicilienne.

Jintor

The pieces that were quoted in the Hyouka soundtrack are, to my memory, the Prelude from Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, Bach's Air on the G String, and Faure's Sicilienne.

mutha fukkan air on g string. i dunno if i ever actually got to play this piece

i should rejoin an orchestra when i go home :(

Jintor

Day 1 after watching final two episodes of Rick and Morty season 2

b5YNpMC.jpg

need season 3 fuck the world

fucking western animation. i have gravity falls, rick and morty, bob's burgers and archer on my bucket list, not to say anything about bravest warriors or steven universe or stuff i might be interested in like over the wall or whatever

Phatmac

fucking western animation. i have gravity falls, rick and morty, bob's burgers and archer on my bucket list, not to say anything about bravest warriors or steven universe or stuff i might be interested in like over the wall or whatever
You gotta watch Archer ASAP. One of my favorite shows ever.

Stop watching anime, which is all shit anyways, and go watch (in this specific order)

1. Rick and Morty (both seasons)
2. Over the Garden Wall
2. Bojack Horseman (both seasons)
3. Gravity Falls (Season 1 and where they currently are in S2, won't take you long)
4. Steven Universe (won't take you long to catch up with the show)
5. Archer
6. Bob's Burgers

They're all some of the best, if not the best shows, released in western animation. And Rick and Morty has Mr. Poopy Butthole he's the best. I put Archer and Bob's Burgers at the end of the list because they're the two which will take you the longest to catch up with, and they're pretty great. Funny, H Jon Benjamin is in TWO critically and audience loved shows. Three if you count Wet Hot American Summer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Please take this discussion of dishonourable doodles somewhere else. This is a thread for animated art only.

Cornbread78

Cross Game ep. 4-6
Man, watching this gives me a nestalgic feelign like watching The Sandlot. I mean, baseball was my passion growing up so just watching all of this is great,,,, The characters are all uniqu so far, there are actually FAT characters drawn out that don;'t fit the stereotype (well, outside of the B team manager) I just can;t stop watching this show, it's friggen good..

Is there actually a reason why western animation is voice acted so much better then your average anime dub. I mean, shows like Rick and Morty and Bob's Burgers basically get carried by their voice acting while almost every anime dub I've seen just pales in comparison to that, Panty & Stocking being the lone exception.

Maybe I'm just cherry picking like mad though.

Phatmac

mutha fukkan air on g string. i dunno if i ever actually got to play this piece

i should rejoin an orchestra when i go home :(
This reminded me of the sad fact that we never got a devil on the g string anime to one of the best vns that is a love letter to Bach and classical music as well as being a great crime story.

Andrew J.

Is there actually a reason why western animation is voice acted so much better then your average anime dub. I mean, shows like Rick and Morty and Bob's Burgers basically get carried by their voice acting while almost every anime dub I've seen just pales in comparison to that, Panty & Stocking being the lone exception.

Dub voice actors almost always record their lines separately, so it's hard to get any sense of chemistry. Also, it's nearly impossible to do any improv or ad-libbing because of when the recording takes place in the production process.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Budget and the fact the mouth movement is already animated so they are constrained by that. In western animation it's the other way round, so shows are animated after the performance meaning the actors have more freedom to give it their all.

Phatmac

I'd bet the investment with western cartoons and that lines are more fluid since it's made for English audiences first. Overall it's probably the sad fact that most English dubs don't have good direction and are heard as if they're just reading from the script.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TUSR you should watch TLR Darkness it's a lot more interesting.

I wonder how the dub for Steven Universe in Japan is like. Since they'd be constrained like dubs over here are. Do they get quality VA's? Are they decent dubs?

Chances are they can still get decent VA's seeing how the industry is arguably bigger in Japan.

For reference here's the japanese Steven Universe OP

BOKU STEVEEEEEEEEN

Phatmac

I wonder how the dub for Steven Universe in Japan is like. Since they'd be constrained like dubs over here are. Do they get quality VA's? Are they decent dubs?

Chances are they can still get decent VA's seeing how the industry is arguably bigger in Japan.

For reference here's the japanese Steven Universe OP

BOKU STEVEEEEEEEEN
Steven Universe is kinda like Dragonball for westerners so it wouldn't be surprising if it was good.

phaze

0080 is dull, irritating and unrealistic. Together they make a deadly combination.

I was looking forward to War in the Pocket having seen and enjoyed 0079 (series), 0083, and Zeta. Then I watched it and came away unimpressed. I mean it's not technically bad as much as it is dull,
and then kills off a character in a way that makes you feel very little.

there-are-dozens-of-uq1pc0.gif

So that Monogatari EP 3 leak just confirmed that Shaft can finish an episode several days before the official airing date. I don't know what to believe anymore.

TUSR you should watch TLR Darkness it's a lot more interesting.

a lot more super interesting.

Quasar

Budget and the fact the mouth movement is already animated so they are constrained by that. In western animation it's the other way round, so shows are animated after the performance meaning the actors have more freedom to give it their all.

And having to make a translation that fits within the animation timing seems a nightmare too.

War in the Pocket is one of the finest things the anime medium has ever produced. Just about everything it sets out to do is executed on perfectly. No other anime even comes close to having as strong an examination of war as 0080 does in its six episodes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
War in the Pocket is one of the finest things the anime medium has ever produced. Just about everything it sets out to do is executed on perfectly. No other anime even comes close to having as strong an examination of war as 0080 does in its six episodes.

Agreed, I can't think of a non-movie anime that comes close. Maybe Legend of the Galactic heroes but it was more political treatise (and a naive one at that, relatively) than it was about war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom