• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Like I said previously, the first season of The Big O is amazing. The episode that focuses on Dastun, Winter Night Phantom is one of my all time faves. Man I need to watch this show again some time, the first half is legitimately good. I usually have a lot of qualms with shows I watch but the first season of The Big O is on point and elicits fond memories, a time when when I enjoyed what I watched, a less cynical time. Good days.

Line_HTX

Maybe it's time to watch it again as I don't remember diddly squat outside of the theme song and like the blonde girl
dying or something.

She didn't die, silly pug.

Long live Optimus Prime's promo videos.

I perform a much needed job here in this City of Amnesia.

Good guys STILL wear black.

At first I didn't like the last half. But upon rewatching it, the last half was worth it and I thought about it, and now I like the ending.

Ascheroth

AntiMagic Academy 35th Test Platoon - 02

Liked this more then the first episode, but they're really blazing through the material at a ridiculous speed. They covered an entire book in just 2 episodes... and as such many scenes just fall flat because there's no proper build-up nor breathing room between them.
That said, I did like the battle and the unusual OST is slowly growing on me.
There was also no awkward LN fanservice like in the first episode, so that's another plus.

War in the Pocket

I was left entirely unmoved by this and the term 'dull' seems to fit quite well. The one single bit I liked was basically the very end when a bunch of the kids were so euphoric about potentially witnessing another war,

But yeh, otherwise nothing stands out positively.

I also think that Now and Then, Here and There explores war themes, such as the impact on the general population, much better. It most certainly contained many more interesting characters and poignant scenes. Direction is ahead as well, imo.

javac

Funimation January 2016 Line-Up:
Blu-ray
Noein: To Your Other Self: The Complete Series [FUNimation]
Release Date: 1/12/2016
Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 2.0 / Dolby TrueHD: Japanese 2.0
Subtitles: English
Run Time: 600 min
Format: Seven-disc set (3 BDs, 4 DVDs)
Region: A|B|1|2|4
Price:
BD/DVD Standard Edition @ shop.funimation.com: $48.74 (RRP:$64.98)
BD/DVD Standard Edition @ rightstuf.com: $48.74

BD/DVD Limited Edition @ shop.funimation.com: $63.74 (RRP:$84.98)
BD/DVD Limited Edition @ rightstuf.com: $63.74

SE:
a6aqpAg.jpg

LE:
BbJlrMV.jpg

A Certain Scientific Railgun Season Two [FUNimation]
Release Date: 1/19/2016
Run Time: 600 min
Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 5.1 / Dolby TrueHD: Japanese
Format: Eight-disc set (4 BDs, 4 DVDs)
Region: A|1
Price:
BD/DVD @ shop.funimation.com: $37.49 (RRP: $49.98)
0NEwATc.jpg

Terror in Resonance The Complete Series [FUNimation]
Release Date: 1/19/2016
Run Time: 275 min
Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 5.1 / Dolby TrueHD: Japanese
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Region: A|1
Price:
BD/DVD @ shop.funimation.com: $48.74 (RRP: $64.98)
BD/DVD Limited Edition @ shop.funimation.com: $63.74 (RRP: $84.98)
SE:
97hSjm2.jpg

LE:
TA2kYvg.jpg

Kingdom The Complete First Season [FUNimation]
Release Date: 1/26/2016
Run Time: 975 min (Episodes 1 - 38)
Audio: English Stereo / Japanese Stereo
Format: Six-disc set (6 DVDs)
Region: 1|2|4
Price:
DVD @ shop.funimation.com: $59.99 (RRP: $79.98)
OU9Bbxx.jpg

One Piece Season Seven, Voyage Five [FUNimation]
Release Date: 1/26/2016
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English 5.1 Surround / Japanese Stereo
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Region: 1
Price:
DVD @ shop.funimation.com: $29.99 (RRP: $39.98)

Perfect Insider 2

Give credit where credit is due, the show has spectacular atmosphere and pacing. The characters aren't anything to write home about but their design are all fantastic. The ending sequence was really well executed as far as horror goes, looking forward to more.

Qurupeke

Osomatsu-san 1-2

I watched this because I read some comparisons with Gintama and I'm in need for a good comedy. The first episode was pretty fun, I loved it. The second wasn't as good, the first part was especially dull. All in all it's promising. Not a fan of the artstyle though, I'd like it more if they had kept the idol designs. lol

War in the Pocket

I was left entirely unmoved by this and the term 'dull' seems to fit quite well. The one single bit I liked was basically the very end when a bunch of the kids were so euphoric about potentially witnessing another war,

I also think that Now and Then, Here and There explores war themes, such as the impact on the general population, much better. It most certainly contained many more interesting characters and poignant scenes. Direction is ahead as well, imo.

I dare you to post this in the Gundam thread.

Sölf

Finished Shirobako. <3
Such a great series. There really are not many shows out there where you can just continue to watch one episode after another. But this one definitly is one of those. It never gets boring, the huge cast is diverse and interesting enough, even though many characters only get a little bit of screentime, it still feels like pretty much every character imrpoves during these 24 episodes.
While the ending was satisfying, I really would like to see a second season sometime in the future. Maybe with a time skip of a few years when the company has become bigger, which would probably bring more than enough new problems. They could also work on other things, like OVAs, a movie, shorts or even show how it really feels when production comes to a hold, like it was in Jiggly Jiggly Heaven (which I now want to see). At least I think, while the show doesn't really need a second season, there is more than enough stuff they could still do.

Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai - 02

I like how her blood drinking knifegun(s) is named Vlad, and if I'm not mistaken it's Nakata voicing it (Alucard). Vlad needs more screen time. I expect smug remarks from the monotone omedetou girl.
Don't like the CGI in this, it sticks out too much for me and leaves much to be desired. Started thinking of Garo when the armor came up, and the back shot of him blocking the attack.

phaze

Nisemonogatari 07 Rewatch

Was it ever explained why Kaiki (Monogatari S2 spoilers)
didn't cure Senjougahara from her crab affliction ?

javac

Crunchyroll Premium is now available on Nintendo Wii. Enjoy you favorite shows like Polar Bear Cafe from the comfort of your couch with the power of the Wii Remote.

javac

Robert J Woodhead 2 days ago

Sorry for the delay in replying; I just flew to Tokyo for business meetings -- working on getting some new projects going.

Let's guess what else Animeigo are working on bring to the masses via the power of Kickstarter. Gunsmith Cats? Yawara!? Urusei Yatsura? Macross? A man can dream dammit.

War in the Pocket

If you didn't even like the action sequence at the beginning of the first episode with that glorious Mitsuo Iso animation, all I can do is shake my head in sadness.

Osomatsu-san 1-2

I watched this because I read some comparisons with Gintama and I'm in need for a good comedy. The first episode was pretty fun, I loved it. The second wasn't as good, the first part was especially dull. All in all it's promising. Not a fan of the artstyle though, I'd like it more if they had kept the idol designs. lol

I can't really fathom liking the deliberately generic parody "ikemen" part over the colorful and unique main designs and art style of the show.

JulianImp

Nisemonogatari 07 Rewatch

Was it ever explained why Kaiki (Monogatari S2 spoilers)
Didn't cure Senjougahara from her crab affliction ?

I think it was because
the apparition kind of worked as a metaphor for how she began acting like a tsundere, rejecting others out of fear of being hurt again. There's a word game with how the heavy crab (omoi kani) took her weight, but omoi also can mean memories/feelings, so it makes sense that the crab took both her physical weight and her memories of her mother, mostly because she didn't understand why she had gotten herself into a sect and how many bad things happened to the family due to that.

Kaiki actually tried to support Senjougahara in the way he could by doing shady things in order to "take care" of the sect her mom was in, but I think that only resulted into her joining yet another sect shortly afterwards. Basically, Gahara was so scared of being betrayed by others that she didn't open up to anyone at all (Kaiki included) until Araragi showed up and selflessly went out of his way to help her. Even then, she only kind of let her guard down a bit after Araragi still said he'd help her in spite of Gahara having driven a staple into his cheek and threatening to put him through even more physical pain if he ever tried to help her.

Crunchyroll Premium is now available on Nintendo Wii. Enjoy you favorite shows like Polar Bear Cafe from the comfort of your couch with the power of the Wii Remote.

a paying member of CR would really be using a Wii in late 2015? CR could have spent the money on app development on hiring a proofreader for their anime.

Cornbread78

Cross Game ep.10-13
I'm really enjoying this anime so far. These episodes finished off that baseball game and moved towards more character developement. There is always that sad backdrop, which is the basis of the entire show, that when referred to really drags you down. They do a great job balancing mood and reminding you the basis of the characters pain, hope and aspirations. Really good stuff.

Either they are swimming in money, or someone in there thinks that the Wii U is just a peripheral.
Willing to go with the latter just for shits and giggles.

If you didn't even like the action sequence at the beginning of the first episode with that glorious Mitsuo Iso animation, all I can do is shake my head in sadness.

It's a nicely animated sequence but it certainly didn't blow me away. Would've likely done that if I were used to animation quality from way back but even though great animation is somewhat timeless, I've seen too much for that to impress me.

JulianImp

a paying member of CR would really be using a Wii in late 2015? CR could have spent the money on app development on hiring a proofreader for their anime.

Seriously. If they wanted to spend time and money to port CR to Wii, it would've been much more viable for them to try to port it to the 3DS, but I guess the OG 3DS's lack of ram and generally crappy internet connectivity would make it bad at streaming even in SD. I wonder if the new 3DS would work, though...

The Perfect Insider 02

"Oh no, the cart is escaping at a speed of 2mph!!! Shut down everything!!! Nothing can stop it!!!!

Aside from that, does anyone else think that this show is noticably too bright?

EnuoSw1.png

in this scene for example

It looks so pale, I took a break just after watching that scene and suddenly my vision got really blurry when I looked at another screen.

trejo

I'm considering picking Hyouka up sometime soon, since most of you guys appear to have liked it (hopefully it isn't School Days "good").
I used to be one of the biggest Hyouka detractors here back in the day and even I find this comparison preposterous lol.

It's a nicely animated sequence but it certainly didn't blow me away. Would've likely done that if I were used to animation quality from way back but even though great animation is somewhat timeless, I've seen too much for that to impress me.

"Somewhat"? The insinuation that animation in the 1980s was weaker than animation today rests on pretty tenuous grounds. Mitsuo Iso in particular is one of the all-time great animators, and much of his work, including the sequence at the beginning of War in the Pocket as well as his work on End of Eva, stands as some of the greatest animated sequences ever created.

I was joking, but, yeah, I don't really like the artstyle. It's unique but a bit too plain.

Plain? Osomatsu-san is the best-looking TV anime that aired this year. A good example of anime that looks plain would instead be Soma.

phaze

I think it was because
the apparition kind of worked as a metaphor for how she began acting like a tsundere, rejecting others out of fear of being hurt again. There's a word game with how the heavy crab (omoi kani) took her weight, but omoi also can mean memories/feelings, so it makes sense that the crab took both her physical weight and her memories of her mother, mostly because she didn't understand why she had gotten herself into a sect and how many bad things happened to the family due to that.

Kaiki actually tried to support Senjougahara in the way he could by doing shady things in order to "take care" of the sect her mom was in, but I think that only resulted into her joining yet another sect shortly afterwards. Basically, Gahara was so scared of being betrayed by others that she didn't open up to anyone at all (Kaiki included) until Araragi showed up and selflessly went out of his way to help her. Even then, she only kind of let her guard down a bit after Araragi still said he'd help her in spite of Gahara having driven a staple into his cheek and threatening to put him through even more physical pain if he ever tried to help her.

Nisemonogatari + Monogatari S2 spoilers
Wasn't she rejecting others because she was afraid of being found out weightless and thus; a freak ? I mean, certainly her experiences shaped her to a degree but I always thought the former to be more important and meant as the main explanation for her behaviour. But yes, given what we learn of Kaiki in Mono S2 the fact that he thought that the crab shielded her from painful memories and feelings seems like the only explanation. I'm just not sure whether it was ever spelled out like that in the show proper.

"Somewhat"? The insinuation that animation in the 1980s was weaker than animation today rests on pretty tenuous grounds. Mitsuo Iso in particular is one of the all-time great animators, and much of his work, including the sequence at the beginning of War in the Pocket as well as his work on End of Eva, stands as some of the greatest animated sequences ever created.

And his work on Asuka's battle in EoE belongs to my all-time favorite animation sequences. This one does not.

Ascheroth

Perfect Insider - 02

Enjoyed this way more then episode 1.
The ending scene really got my attention and I hope the show will have more like that down the line.
The atmosphere inside the lab was excellent as well.

pbayne

Sölf;181809732 said:
Finished Shirobako. <3
Such a great series. There really are not many shows out there where you can just continue to watch one episode after another. But this one definitly is one of those. It never gets boring, the huge cast is diverse and interesting enough, even though many characters only get a little bit of screentime, it still feels like pretty much every character imrpoves during these 24 episodes.
While the ending was satisfying, I really would like to see a second season sometime in the future. Maybe with a time skip of a few years when the company has become bigger, which would probably bring more than enough new problems. They could also work on other things, like OVAs, a movie, shorts or even show how it really feels when production comes to a hold, like it was in Jiggly Jiggly Heaven (which I now want to see). At least I think, while the show doesn't really need a second season, there is more than enough stuff they could still do.

I'd love a second season so much. Fuck they even tease it at the end mentioning making Ten Piece or something.

If it ever happened I hope they flip between the five girls a bit more. While Aoi is a fantastic main character some of the other girls like Zuka got so little.

JulianImp

I used to be one of the biggest Hyouka detractors here back in the day and even I find this comparison preposterous lol.

I wasn't meant to mentally scar Hyouka fans at the thought of comparing it to School Days. I was just playing it safe to avoid watching some crappy show that happened to have an AnimeGAF in-joke about it being good.

Nisemonogatari + Monogatari S2 spoilers
Wasn't she rejecting others because she was afraid of being found out weightless and thus; a freak ? I mean, certainly her experiences shaped her to a degree but I always thought the former to be more important and meant as the main explanation for her behaviour. But yes, given what we learn of Kaiki in Mono S2 the fact that he thought that the crab shielded her from painful memories and feelings seems like the only explanation. I'm just not sure whether it was ever spelled out like that in the show proper.

Well, that's because of the
omoi = weight + feelings
pun. Basically, I think you could just
treat the whole weight loss and apparition aspect of Senjougahara's problem as a metaphor for how she lost her feelings and distanced herself from everybody around her by force (read: physical and verbal violence). Araragi "saved" her because he didn't back off even after being attacked by her and accepted that side of hers, allowing her to vent and slowly but surely shed those defense mechanisms as she was finally able to regain her faith in other human beings. The way she crushed on Kaiki is also indicative of that, because like she said she felt attracted to people who wanted to reach out and help her, only Kaiki's ruse about being a bad guy actually fooled her and made her hate his guts (while still crushing on him because human feeling can be complicated).

Conan-san

Masks and Lances 3
The budget took a first to the face this week and they treid way too hard to hide it under Trigger lens flaire. Also not happy about the girl droping the hero gig. That would have been a fun little thing to bounce off the MC.

Anti Magic 35th Platoon 2
Well this is shaping up to being something. I really hope the reported speed of the thing is to get it to Staus Quo ASAP

The Perfect Insider 02

I love this OT, so goddamn catchy. Woah the show got a whole lot better this episode. That last part was freaky as heck. I guess the mystery solving is going to start next week. I can't wait to see how they deal with it.

Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 434 &#8211; The Search Mission
The anime writers clearly love the SasuNaru thing because the number of times they do this has been incredibly high for this filler arc. Also at how Sasuke shows little to no concern almost disgust even for Sakura but smiles at Naruto.

Jiraiya giving himself so many accolades is hilarious even if it means Nagato is now pretty much OoC.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The Perfect Insider 02

"Oh no, the cart is escaping at a speed of 2mph!!! Shut down everything!!! Nothing can stop it!!!!

Aside from that, does anyone else think that this show is noticably too bright?

It looks so pale, I took a break just after watching that scene and suddenly my vision got really blurry when I looked at another screen.
Who made this show? Madhouse?

Who made this show? Madhouse?

No it's A-1 Pictures.

Still if I hadn't known I would of probably guessed Madhouse as well. For some reason currently almost every show they produced has some really dull and unimaginative background art. It lacks any personality to it and it seems like it has an abundance of filter. OnePunch Man has that problem as well.

Jintor

She didn't die, silly pug.

Long live Optimus Prime's promo videos.

I perform a much needed job here in this City of Amnesia.

Good guys STILL wear black.

At first I didn't like the last half. But upon rewatching it, the last half was worth it and I thought about it, and now I like the ending.

I love toonami promos, but I've always thought this one in particular was really badly cut, especially because they couldn't isolate the dialogue so so the bgm is included

Mature

No it's A-1 Pictures.

Still if I hadn't known I would of probably guessed Madhouse as well. For some reason currently almost every show they produced has some really dull and unimaginative background art. It lacks any personality to it and it seems like it has an abundance of filter. OnePunch Man has that problem as well.
I think OPM has at least been serviceable at it's worst. Some of the art direction/background art&#8212; even in just it's two episodes&#8212; has been fine.

At least it's not that washed out look of that other show.

I love toonami promos, but I've always thought this one in particular was really badly cut, especially because they couldn't isolate the dialogue so so the bgm is included
I prefer the AS one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, is there a shoujo this season?

There really seems to be nothing to watch for me other than Monogatari and the standard moe fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom