• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if the popular LN to copycat was SAO, then Mahouka, I can't imagine how shitty the next one will be because Mahouka makes SAO look like The Godfather

Probably been said already, but it's weird how Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Asterisk War are basically the same show in the same season, and are also the same as Irregular at Magical High School. Like when did this plot become a genre? Is it Japan's take on Harry Potter?

While they are nearly identical, and I am getting very tired of this general theme, one thing does differentiate them -- Asterisk doesn't try to pretend that the MC is the "worst". Now, I understand that a Hero's Journey story requires the hero to start out weak and then get strong, but the problem with these "worst" shows, like Chivalry of a Failed Knight and innumerable others, is that the MCs aren't actually 'worst' under any possible definition. They are, at the beginning, already amazing, excessively overpowered, usually stronger than nearly anyone else, or ANYONE else in some cases such as saint Onii-san of Mahouka.

"Worst", "Weakest", they are blatant lies tossed at the viewer/reader to try to make them think that the story is telling a hero's journey story, when in fact it is not. You ccannot have a hero's journey, from weak to strong, when the main character STARTS the story already insanely powerful, people just don't know it yet because of convenient plot nonsense -- again see Mahouka for the gold standard of this idiocy.

Chivalry of a Failed Knight is no Mahouka, but the MC is very similar -- the first major thing he does is defeats the "best" girl in a match, because he's just that overpowered because of stupid plot nonsense. Of course part of this is sexism -- the strongest girls in these harem shows never can be as strong as the male lead, of course! -- but even beyond that, it's just stupid because it fails as a heroic journey when all you need is to have a superpowered person just have their powers recognized, not actually tell a story of someone who becomes powerful and important out of nothing.

And on that note, Asterisk is about a guy who is strong, he just doesn't or didn't really want to use his power. But some people do know -- that's why he was recruited to the academy, after all. This still isn't a traditional hero's journey because he is strong at the start, but at least the series doesn't do the super-annoying lie of "he's the weakest!" at the beginning, that stuff is just too stupid.

Otherwise though the two are basically the same show, yes.

Katanagatari 08

The interactions between Togame and Hitei are pretty great. The doll was pretty cool, and I liked Shichika's character development with it.

I have a bad premonition that this is going to end in a fucked up way but I don't know how.
Yes, of course it will. I like the show less because of how it ended, but I'm sure some people like it more because of that...

I suspect if you are a creative person and can actually write, you don't do LNs :p
I am sure you are right.

And then there is this plot synopsis of a light novel adaptation airing in January:

It really feels like a lot of these light novel authors are writing the same book with all the names changed. Maybe there's actually a single ghostwriter writing them all.

So basically, you can make money in Japan by basically looking at a LN, then writing that LN again but with all the names/characters/locations/terms changed?

In that case, here's my light novel I'm writing!

Plot synopsis for I suddenly became a student frog fighter in an all girls school said:
In the ancient land of the Kascooge, ancient armoured CG mechanical frogs named Froogers are used as weapons of warfare to defeat the alien Scadoogle menace. The former Kascooge prince, named Gononger, accidentally walks into the girl's changing room where he sees princess Cragalops getting dressed and that makes her very angry. She then challenges Gononger to a Frog Froog, which are duels between two Froogers. After the Frog Froog, Gononger finds himself enrolled in the all-girls school where Frog Froog Fighters are trained.

Perhaps KyoAni will be the ones to animate it! =D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Probably been said already, but it's weird how Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Asterisk War are basically the same show in the same season, and are also the same as Irregular at Magical High School. Like when did this plot become a genre? Is it Japan's take on Harry Potter?
It's not really very far removed from other action shonen or harem style stories. These kinds of stories seem like pretty clear descendants of manga/anime.

Wow that is just ridiculous. I bet the girl has red hair and an ample bust, too

8bgN7q8.jpg

I guess not quite.

I suspect if you are a creative person and can actually write, you don't do LNs :p

I don't believe that this is always the case or rather has to be the case. LNs are essentially just books that target the young adult audience. If some creative author finds that market appealing I don't see why he/she wouldn't write a LN besides possible monetary reasons which I am completely clueless about. Do note that you will find people copying successful stories in pretty much every form of writing whether it is fanfiction, Chinese web novels, or professional novels. And while professional novels might perhaps have less copying there are still examples of it and you will often see people copying bits and pieces of successful or good ideas everywhere.

Anyways, I'm off to watch the second episode of Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen. I found the first episode to be a bit boring but it did do a decent enough job of introducing the two main characters. Haku has yet to impress me but the female lead is an alright enough girl. Hoping that it gets better soon.

In all seriousness though, I would love to see things take a drastic turn in an LN harem anime.

Like, trick viewers into thinking it's gonna be your average LN crap, but really put a twist on the scenario and many of the tropes.

Like, have the main tsundere girl actually really hurt the MC to a point where he gets seriously injured and she gets called out on it.

Or one of those "chosen one whisked to a fantasy land" stories, where instead of the MC being accepting of the situation, he's frightened. Like, make it so he's got a family back home and he doesn't want to be stuck with a harem in a fantasy land.

You know, something creative! Why is it that these authors never want to put a spin on any of these typical LN scenarios?

In all seriousness though, I would love to see things take a drastic turn in an LN harem anime.

Like, trick viewers into thinking it's gonna be your average LN crap, but really put a twist on the scenario and many of the tropes.

Like, have the main tsundere girl actually really hurt the MC to a point where he gets seriously injured and she gets called out on it.

Or one of those "chosen one whisked to a fantasy land" stories, where instead of the MC being accepting of the situation, he's frightened. Like, make it so he's got a family back home and he doesn't want to be stuck with a harem in a fantasy land.

You know, something creative! Why is it that these authors never want to put a spin on any of these typical LN scenarios?

That's called Bakemonogatari

Narag

This isn't watching Diebuster.

Asterisk War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight have diverged.

Mahouka Koukou at least has great applications and relevance for the entire world with great political theory state rights issue being raised, as well as the ethical question of the eugenics variety. It doest appear that either of those two series will be able to reached the masterful storytelling from Tsutomu Sato

Moaradin

Guys, give me some recommendations of super hype mecha anime like TTGL and Gunbuster/Diebuster. I haven't seen G Gundam yet but I plan to eventually.

So something else besides these. Preferably standalone and not part of a super long running series.

Asterisk War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight have diverged.

Mahouka Koukou at least has great applications and relevance for the entire world with great political theory state rights issue being raised, as well as the ethical question of the eugenics variety. It doest appear that either of those two series will be able to reached the masterful storytelling from Tsutomu Sato

Mahouka is literally about magical libertarian Jesus who is good at everything because of his superior genetics and who beats everyone because they can't pull up their magical bootstraps hard enough to get to his superior Aryan level.

You know that speech in Geass that Charles vi Britannia gives about how Brittanians are superior and all that jazz? Well Mahouka is like that without Norio Wakamoto hamming it up as hard as he possibly can and played completely straight.

Meanwhile, good and unique LN adaptations with reasonably good sales don't get a third seasons. Still mad Horizon got nothing at Dengeki Festival.

fertygo

Guys, give me some recommendations of super hype mecha anime like TTGL and Gunbuster/Diebuster. I haven't seen G Gundam yet but I plan to eventually.

So something else besides these. Preferably standalone and not part of a super long running series.

Watch Getter Robo Armageddon

Narag

Dangaioh

qcf x2

Does Code Geass count?

It doesn't really have super hype like TTGL but Tekkaman Blade is a fantastic mecha anime.

Jintor

So are we going to write the mythical animeGAF LN or not

I mean, nanowrimo's coming out. I bet i could shit out a LN if I didn't have to think about the plot at all

Mahouka is literally about magical libertarian Jesus who is good at everything because of his superior genetics and who beats everyone because they can't pull up their magical bootstraps hard enough to get to his superior Aryan level.

You know that speech in Geass that Charles vi Britannia gives about how Brittanians are superior and all that jazz? Well Mahouka is like that without Norio Wakamoto hamming it up as hard as he possibly can and played completely straight.

Mahouka Koukou is in a universe where hard work, perseverance, and training just doesnt really help, since unless youre part of the numbered 10 master clans and the 18 assistant houses youre kind of locked out of being able to be strong. I think unless through the power of personalized genomics, there is no way anyone else could get to that aspect of his level beyond the adults already stronger than him.

I hope the writers Dowl Masters LN comes over and anime gets mad. It seems so intriguing.

Both of these seem to be part of a long running series. Can you watch those shows by themselves without needing to know about the older Getter Robo and Mazinger stuff?

Shin Mazinger yes you definitely can watch on its own.

Getter Robo...well you could, but some original knowledge of the material there would definetly help.

And by popular demand...

Diebuster - 1

CRpdNvbWUAAktr3.png:large

Is this Sailor Moon?

Well that sure was an opening to a Gainax super robot show! The main duo seem all right so far. I can definitely see the influences this must have had on TTGL.

Good start.

wonzo

Banned
"should i watch this bad thing?" hurried shouts of no echoed through the derelict chambers and yet could not overcome the high mal score and a lone contrarian idiot

I finally got off my ass and made a MAL account. List isn't really comprehensive, but I got a lot of the stuff. There's stuff I purposely didn't add though because I only saw bits and pieces of as a kid or stuff like that (For example, Original Yugioh).

Here it is for now
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Aaronrules380

I'll probably add manga stuff later, but that's likely to take even longer than anime, so we'll see

edit: And here's my profile
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Aaronrules380

Sent you a friend request. Also, 57.5% affinity to me heh.

wonzo

Banned
"sao is objectively good" the elder's whom once forcefully corrected such untruths rot in the corner, sighs & the stench of alcohol now their only friends

dead inside

wonzo

Banned
carved scribblings line the walls of the basement, crudely drawn complex breakdowns of bakemono pantyshots as far as the eye can see. "a hopeful reminder of greater times" the wrinkled man with the ritsu tattoo muses to no one

Cornbread78

Not a harem but it is a yuri drama anime. I found it somewhat alright when I saw it eight or so years ago but I have no idea how it holds up now to my current standards. It was more of a joke recommendation.

What are you guys looking to watch in your Lets Watch?

Anything really, just no hentai or highly offensive shit really, just something that everyone has not already seen and is on Crunchyroll /Funi.

Anything really, just no hentai or highly offensive shit really, just something that everyone has not already seen and is on Crunchyroll /Funi.

Hmm, if I think of something I'll be sure to inform you.

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Ep. 2

I'm officially settled in for the long ride. The first episode didn't grab my interest but this episode was good enough that I'll stick around for the long haul provided that the anime doesn't decline in quality sharply.

Haku shows signs of becoming a character that I can tolerate. The brief glimpse that we get of him as he steps away from the feast and shows a face unlike how he usually is hints at a deeper and more contemplative personality than I expected. Hopefully we'll see more of it as time progresses. The bit of action we saw in this episode was decent as well.

Also, I love the nostalgia the music induces in, I adored the music of the first Utawarerumono.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Well, it's not LN, but Brave Story is basically that. There's movie adaptation, but it was teally toned down from the og source

Katanagatari 09

fkbcJlb.jpg
AGlae8A.jpg
dch3rmp.jpg

good ep for Togame faces (ignore hardsubs)

Did not really expect a rather comedic episode at this point in the series. I really liked the visuals and direction in this episode, lots of clever transitions and good shots.

Episode was also good for the scenes about Shichika and Togame's kind of odd romance which I'm still not sure what to make of. Shichika says he loves her but he hardly shows it and it seems like he doesn't even comprehend romantic love and Togame almost seems like he is just using him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom