• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Both of these seem to be part of a long running series. Can you watch those shows by themselves without needing to know about the older Getter Robo and Mazinger stuff?

Reminder that Shin Mazinger Z ends in the middle of the story and it will never, ever get a sequel.

But watch it for Ashura anyway.

Oh, on the contrary, I think Ougi=Darkness is all but confirmed. Araragi didn't inform Ougi about Hachikuji, until much later.It was around 4 months after her disappearance (a few days before Hitagi End), which means it's after every other encounter with Ougi so far. I guess after the current Owari arc(or even during that), Araragi will start investigating Ougi and why he choose to reveal what happened with Hachikuji will probably be revealed too. He is aware that Ougi is "special", so he is cautious. Also, from what I understand, Hachikuji disappeared but she wasn't taken by the darkness. Ougi must know what happened, but she asked things she already knew, as usual.

The chronological order of Monogatari has quite a few missing parts, so things are certainly complicated and I may be missing something.

Yours is certainly a possible read of the situation but throughout the arc, the "Darkness" seems to have always known: the location of Hachikuji and whether she was or wasn''t acting like a proper oddity. Given such insight and knowledge, I think that by extension, it would also know that
Hachikuji passed away
and thus its job is done. Which seems to be what Gaen was implying and given that we haven't seen "it" since that event, seems to me to be a plausible explanation.

This "darkness" or "law" also struck me as something much more hmmm primordial and raw and not something that would stick around for months just to mess around with Arararararagi.

Cornbread78

Cross Game ep. 34-42
I love and hate the way this anime makes me feel while watching it. I love the baseball as a backdrop of the story because it instantly bring me back in time when baseball was my life. I hate the backdrop of sadness that carries along with this anime at the same time. The message was one of hope for the future, but it is marred with saddness that the main characters are all carrying with them. When I first started this I thought there would be more relationship development in a romantic sense, but the coming of age portion of the show definately prevails as we watch each character grow emotionally as they go through school. It's amazing that through 42 episodes, Kou still cannot be honest with himself about his feelings for Aoba. I'm not sure if he thinks he would be betraying Wakaba, but that is definately not the case; Aoba is in the same situation as him and her sister keeps saying that they are too much alike. Well they are because nether can and will admit their feelings or be honest about them to anyone....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cross Game ep. 34-42
I love and hate the way this anime makes me feel while watching it. I love the baseball as a backdrop of the story because it instantly bring me back in time when baseball was my life. I hate the backdrop of sadness that carries along with this anime at the same time. The message was one of hope for the future, but it is marred with saddness that the main characters are all carrying with them. When I first started this I thought there would be more relationship development in a romantic sense, but the coming of age portion of the show definately prevails as we watch each character grow emotionally as they go through school. It's amazing that through 42 episodes, Kou still cannot be honest with himself about his feelings for Aoba. I'm not sure if he thinks he would be betraying Wakaba, but that is definately not the case; Aoba is in the same situation as him and her sister keeps saying that they are too much alike. Well they are because nether can and will admit their feelings or be honest about them to anyone....

I take it you don't know about Touch...
(It's even more absurd lol)

Reminder that Shin Mazinger Z ends in the middle of the story and it will never, ever get a sequel.

But watch it for Ashura anyway.

If you want SOME sense of closure for Shin Mazinger, you could always watch the Mazinkaiser VS the Great General of Darkness movie.

Yuru Yuri San hai 03

zwdN1uW.png

I waited three weeks for this?!

This picture is a pretty good representation of the current state of this third season, it's just the same jokes again (although with a lot more focus on those two girls that argue with eachother) but for some reason it's not as funny as the previous seasons, I think that it's not because the joke got old but just because this new staff doesn't know how to execute a joke that's already been made countless of times. This time around it just feels forced, like they're trying too hard to be funny.

I'm not some comedy expert so everything I just said above is probably just bullshit but if I know one thing for sure it is that I'm not enjoying myself when watching this.

Cornbread78

Touch is great too and it's from the same mangaka. You should check it out one day, though you probably want to give it some time after finishing Cross Game.

interesting. I saw it was like 100 episodes though, lol.

I really like Cross Game, it just gives me the weirdest emotional feedback as I watch it. It's so hard to describe.....

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've always seen YuruYuri as a light hearted show with amusing moments. If I want the big laughs I look elsewhere. I agree that there are moments where they retread material but that's been the case since series one since the characters all have their quirks that are constantly brought up. Of course I'm the worst person to look to when it comes to critique of this show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuru Yuri San Hai! Episode 3:

At this point I am just watching this season out of a sense of obligation as this is this season's GX.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What's the deal with all the LN anime adaptations about battle schools? Did they get tired of LIVING IN THE DATABASE?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Database is so last year. Onii-sama is what's hot now.

Get with the times, Grimace.

JulianImp

Onii-sama...

There, fixed.

I had watched two or three episodes and dropped it hard, and then it showed up again during a Random CR Anime Dinnertime, so my cousin got to enjoy Onii-sama in all his radiant glory, being an awesome guy that even his little sister lusts for, but is too humble to let other people know that he's everybody's lord and savior. Having rated SAO a 1/10 in MAL, I don't know how I sould rate this turd of a show that manages to outdo SAO in awful writing and power fantasies by a really wide margin.

god i wish Onii-sama would come back and show all of these trashy incest harems with a stronk protagonist but wait he has one stupid flaw that doesn't matter how it's like. None of this "he grows throughout the show" bullshit just make him the strongest person since fucking Jesus

JulianImp

god i wish Onii-sama would come back and show all of these trashy incest harems with a stronk protagonist how it's like. None of this "he grows throughout the show" bullshit just make him the strongest person since fucking Jesus

I watched up to some part where the other students were talking about some super engineer who made top-class magical weapons... and it just happened to be Onii-sama under one of his many aliases. Seriously, what the fuck.

Also, his little sister blatantly trying to get it on with him in the second episode or so was wrong on so many levels...

kewlmyc

What's the deal with all the LN anime adaptations about battle schools? Did they get tired of LIVING IN THE DATABASE?

Battle harems schools never left, we've had at least one every other season. It's just MMO harems became more popular than every battle harem school other than Infinite Stratos.

It's more obvious this season because we have two of the exact same show airing the same day within like an hour of each other. We also have like 5 LN battle harem shows airing this season, which is way more than usual.

I watched up to some part where the other students were talking about some super engineer who made top-class magical weapons... and it just happened to be Onii-sama under one of his many aliases. Seriously, what the fuck.

Also, his little sister blatantly trying to get it on with him in the second episode or so was wrong on so many levels...

Did you ever doubt that onii-sama was ALSO the best engineer and the army's greatest weapon and can revive people and can like never get hurt because he instantly cures his shit?

JulianImp

Did you ever doubt that onii-sama was ALSO the best engineer and the army's greatest weapon and can revive people and can like never get hurt because he instantly cures his shit?

That almost sounds like the kind of character a seve-year-old kid would come up with in those pretend superhero fights where they'd constantly try to outdo their opponent's abilities with more and more over-the-top stuff until they got too tired or confused to go on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Battle harems schools never left, we've had at least one every other season. It's just MMO harems became more popular than every battle harem school other than Infinite Stratos.

It's more obvious this season because we have two of the exact same show airing the same day within like an hour of each other. We also have like 5 LN battle harem shows airing this season, which is way more than usual.

I suppose even Zero no Tsukaima would count if you went back far enough, which is also an LN with a battle harem feat. a lead tsundere.

I guess I just don't get LNs. It's all the shitty dialogue I expect from B-tier shonens except 10 times as much. And why does every LN feature a huge taste-the-rainbow harem? Why do I keep watching them?

JulianImp

I suppose even Zero no Tsukaima would count if you went back far enough, which is also an LN with a battle harem feat. a lead tsundere.

I guess I just don't get LNs. It's all the shitty dialogue I expect from B-tier shonens except 10 times as much. And why does every LN feature a huge taste-the-rainbow harem?

Because they want to sell merchandise for those who like each and every kind of waifu: meganekko, dojikko, loli, tsundere, yandere, yamato nadeshiko, and so on.
Oh damn it, I just reminded myself about Non Non Biyori dakis actually being a thing...

Baccano, Durarara, Kokoro Connect and Monogatari are also LNs, mind you. Where's the bad dialogue and taste-the-rainbow harem there?
Please don't say Monogatari.

While I can't say I understand at all why power fantasy harem LNs are actually popular, I know there're more than enough LNs that are actually good without going for the lowest common denominator with awful writing and lots of fanservice.

Angry Grimace

That almost sounds like the kind of character a seve-year-old kid would come up with in those pretend superhero fights where they'd constantly try to outdo their opponent's abilities with more and more over-the-top stuff until they got too tired or confused to go on.

Bulrog has lots and lots of powers.

javac

How's it going?
0644dYp.png
New releases for 10/20/15.
Blu-ray
Dragonball Z: Resurrection 'F' [FUNimation]
Run Time: 120 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Japanese
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (1 BD (50GB), 1 DVD)
Price:
BD/DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $24.49
BD/DVD Collector's Edition @ Rightstuf.com: $38.49
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $20.99
0miiMzPm.jpg

CE:
vP4z9Gmm.jpg

UuB4Utnl.jpg

Hayate the Combat Butler: Season 2 [Sentai]
Run Time: 625 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Three-disc set (3 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $58.49
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $45.49
0cE7yipm.jpg

Space Brothers: Collection 5 [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
s2PqprSm.jpg

Quasar

While I can't say I understand at all why power fantasy harem LNs are actually popular, I know there're more than enough LNs that are actually good without going for the lowest common denominator with awful writing and lots of fanservice.

We it is just Japans YA fiction. So of course theres quite a variety of material, even if certain kinds of stories are currently popular. Reminds me of the glut of dystopian western YA which I really don't get. Well beyond publishers chasing the success of others. Not unlike the whole paranormal romance subgenre I guess.

Angry Grimace

The fact that there's 2 Mahouka clones airing within an hour or each other is just a little lolworthy.

Osomatsu-san 3

If you want to do a good dick joke, you need more layers to it than that. And a Saw joke that could be told in a minute really doesn't need to be 7 minutes.

Dropping this for now. May pick it up again later.

Ushio & Tora 15-16

Still continues to be a highlight of the year for me, the action was really enjoyable and Ushio and Tora's interactions always make me laugh. Seems like things are going to get even more real from her now that Ushio has begun to change into a youkai himself.

Sterok

Yuru Yuri S3 3

Sakurako and Himawari (especially the former) seem to be getting a lot of attention this season. Yui and especially Chitose feel a bit out of focus. Chitose's nosebleeds got old quick, so I don't mind them only showing up rarely. Chinatsu drawings are always great. Still don't get the complaints. Feels about the same as the previous seasons, only a bit slower.

jgminto

Osomatsu-san 3
I think I prefer the format of 1 or 2 stories an episode instead of rapid fire gags but I think it's fine if the gag episodes are less frequent. The next episode seems to be a two parter at least. I wonder if it would be better to spread the short gags out as a weekly post-credit shorts as Gintama does irregularly.

Spice & Wolf 8-9

Horo-ja! Horo-ja! I can get used to hearing that.

I can tell Lawrence is a skilled businessman but next to Holo he seems like a complete amateur. I love how they blackmail other merchants when they figure out their con and I love how much they enjoy blackmailing them.

Speculations about shepherd girl:
The Church hates her. The priest didnt look happy looking at her. Despite looking down on her, they still use her for her powers. I'm bracing myself for the sad backstory and if anything happens to her dog, man I'm gonna be so pissed :( I think she was set up to spy on Law-lo (Lawrence and Holo get it hahaha)

Ending of episode 9 doesnt bode well. Uh oh.

Spoiler:
Lawrence will die in the end and Holo will go nuts and kill everyone her because of her losses.

Another Spoiler
Naw, nothing really bad happened like that but they will be incident which will challenge them and in a way make they bond much stronger. You will see this in 2nd season when Lawrence realize how special Holo is to him.

Hope you like the show and if you love it very much, go read the novel of this show. It kinda restart telling what have happened but expand after 2nd season end.

Thats good! The art direction seems a little bleak. Maybe not bleak but theres some creeping sadness underneath everything. Maybe cause a lot of the characters wear black, lots of shots indoors with bricks and stones. The characters also dont make those typical anime facial expressions like >_< or XD or sweat drops. Like no slapstick stuff, which I dont mind.

And yeah, I'm definitely enjoying this series!

So good...

I love Spice and Wolf way more than I ever thought I would. I ignored it for so long because, well, wolf girl, I just made assumptions, because anime, and, well, yeah.

SO GOOD THO

I had no expectations jumping in, other than the fact fans are dying for a season 3 which is unlikely to ever materialize. I had no idea what it was even about, though I thought it would be more slice of lifey and set in modern times. Its been a pleasant surprise.

I feel like Mahouka was supposed to be a parody of SAO at some point, but they lost the part of the script that explicitly stated that.

John Blade

dvd-5020-youre-under-arrest-full-throttle-collection-2-adv-films.jpg

Just finish watching this entire season and the special a while ago and didn't have the chance to make a brief impression of the show till now so, I will keep it short as I did talk about this franchise quite a bit now.

You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle is a fine show to watch and will entertain you if you okay with the episodic style formula which is been use in the franchise. They're nothing wrong with this style but if you want something more than bad guy of the week where the good guy try to solve the problem, you won't see it here to tell the truth. Like in other show in the You're Under Arrest franchise, you follow the two main female characters name Natsumi and Miyuki who tries to solve everyday issue around they district. Along the way, they will get backup help from their friends from they police station.

Like in the other show from this franchise, most of the meat is seeing the chemistry of the two main female character develop together on screen and see how they solve the issue when face together. While this true in this show, they will be some character development in this show from the support character, mostly at Aoi's and Yoriko who start to see a bit more of them here which is funny to watch and sometime annoying mostly how Aoi character change quite a bit in this season (much different than she was in season 1). Still, if you love the chemistry of the two main female characters in the original show, then you should be at home as you will see more here.

For the music, they don't use any music from season 1 which is good. Unfortunately, the music is generic at best so, nothing much to say to tell the truth. Even the song that you hear people sing isn't special to say. Kinda make me miss more of the music from season 1.

Really, they isn't much to say about the show. I guess the one big thing I can say is kinda the episodic style format. This is a good or bad thing depend on how you watch this franchise. If you're watching the entire franchise back to back, this format will get tired very quickly and you will see this in season 2. It's better if you spread out watching this show with other show so it doesn't feel tiring and because it's a easy watch, you won't miss too much if you stop watching the show 1-2 weeks. Still, a good season to watch and in a way, it remind me quite a bit of Season 1.

FINAL THOUGHT
Going in, I didn't have much expectation except it's from the same creator of Oh My Goddess which give me some idea of what to come. Coming out, I will say You're Under Arrest is a fun show to watch and actually do like it quite a bit. I guess if you're coming in for the 1st time, I would consider the OVA, TV season 1, and the movie as a good part of the show. If you like the series much more and want to continue, then go watch TV season 2 and 3. If you're hardcore, then watch everything and the special. Still, try to look into the OVA and watch it as this part make me a believer with this franchise and would recommend everyone to go watch it just for that only.

tumblr_nk8qdx3zB01snn0hpo1_500.gif

tumblr_nbu879xBu01sgbz5jo1_500.gif

tumblr_myy8wo8Oaa1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

tumblr_myxckon4rj1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

tumblr_n9p0doq36Z1sgbz5jo1_500.gif

tumblr_myxe45Psar1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

Mahouka is indeed pretty damn terrible. Tatsuya's personality is by far my biggest complaint with it. It is bland enough that it sucks whatever enjoy ability I might have had out of the LN/anime. Strong protagonists on the start isn't terrible, see Fist of the North Star/Fist of the Blue Sky, but you need to go about it in a way that makes you be invested in the protagonist. Some, like Rurouni Kenshin, succeed very well. Mahouka? It fails miserably on that regard and everything else suffers.

Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Ep 3

Another enjoyable episode. Had a fair amount of humor along with some new characters being introduced. Masked general/commander dude seems like a pretty cool guy but by far the best new character is Kokopo.

Besides that, nothing much happened but hopefully the next episode will be more eventful and kick the plot up a gear.

Zephyx

Gakuen Toshi Asterisk 1-3

The premise seems similar with Rakudan but it's a bit slower and a lot more complicated due to its setting. Don't like the male MC's design while the female MC's almost the same with the anime above. Still, I'm intrigued on how the plot will move as well as the development of the other characters. Keeping this one for now.

John Blade

Well...I will keep it to the minimum. I will post some video from the show with some interesting stuff here and there.

TV Season ED 2 Theme (Latino)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwxsxsBY1O0

OVA ED Theme (Japanese)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGjY54nbIc

OVA OP Theme(Korean)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLOB_B-cJho

TV Season 2 OP (Korean)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAem8z6-_Uk
Note: I am actually liking this theme music for the TV show season 2 over the original Japanese one. Kinda funny. Full music here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMpEwhaFkY)

Clips scene from OVA (Korean) (SPOLIER!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsOvJUDdoy4

OVA OP Theme (Latino)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zu-Vyyxrro
Note: Still my favorite theme music outside of Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom