• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
3D better than 2D?

Get out.

jM1joaO.jpg

petran79

Banned
I watched the BD version of Venus Wars and it had some of the best action scenes ever. Story and characters were non-existent but I didnt mind.

Then to my dismay I read the manga and found out that there is an actual story. In fact two separate stories in the 2 enemy camps. Manga characters are different and movie introduced non-existing characters and even changed the personality of the ones found in the manga. While the manga does not feature any complex story like Appleseed, it would have made a good adaptation and retained plenty of action as well.

Dont know why they chose this approach.

Qurupeke

Kaiki is off-contest, he's way too good to compare with the rest of the heroines. Ougi is right after short haired/ponytail Gahara.

JulianImp

Kaiki is off-contest, he's way too good to compare with the rest of the heroines. Ougi is right after short haired/ponytail Gahara.

So off-contest that he's got a whopping two chibi figures of him released so far. Chibi figures can't ever do Kaiki justice.

Also, damn you for making me think about a Monogatari VN adaptation where Kaiki had a route of his own...

And yes, we just derailed the whole thread with pantyhose talk and stupid sexy Kaiki.

I watched the BD version of Venus Wars and it had some of the best action scenes ever. Story and characters were non-existent but I didnt mind.

Then to my dismay I read the manga and found out that there is an actual story. In fact two separate stories in the 2 enemy camps. Manga characters are different and movie introduced non-existing characters and even changed the personality of the ones found in the manga. While the manga does not feature any complex story like Appleseed, it would have made a good adaptation and retained plenty of action as well.

Dont know why they chose this approach.

I haven't read the manga, but I can only guess that Yas wanted to make this movie his "Akira" or "Nausicaa", and changed around the details while adapting his own comic. Arion fared a little better, it has wonky pacing as well, but the story feels more complete.

Each of Yas' three features has individual strengths, but also corresponding detriments. He's still stylistically one of my favorites though.

pbayne

Don't want to sound like a broken record but Saekano is truly awful

I hate that self aware "oh look we make jokes about harems even though we conform to every harem trope ever. Oh look I know I'm a tsundere...baka" I think it's the most pandering, laziest form of humor ever.

And then the self insert "hey be a dick to girls and they'll like you" protagonist. Anyone watch Invaders of the roukujyouma? That dude deserved a harem not the chucklefuck from Saekano.

I hate that self aware "oh look we make jokes about harems even though we conform to every harem trope ever. Oh look I know I'm a tsundere...baka" I think it's the most pandering, laziest form of humor ever.

And then the self insert "hey be a dick to girls and they'll like you" protagonist. Anyone watch Invaders of the roukujyouma? That dude deserved a harem not the chucklefuck from Saekano.

You are way to invested in the harem genre. That's not healthy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

The whole anime is about making a game and the only thing that the harem lead brings to the table is that all the girls want to fuck him. He literally has no tangible skills.

Everytime I see someone with a Justified avatar talk about ecchi I die inside.
I bet Raylan loves Gintama.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya:
Beautiful. Pretty much perfect. The art, the animation, the writing, the music, everything was just perfect. This is art.

I'll have to think about this some more, and watch the movie again for sure, but I think this could potentially be my favorite movie of all time. It's definitely up there. What a masterpiece.

John Blade

Wow. lol

The jdrama is fine for what it is. I only watched a few episodes though.

It's kinda funny as you did post about this when I post the same image in February saying

If macodin was still around, he'd be proud. lol

But yea, I own the entire You're Under Arrest franchise show on DVD from the OVA to the special and the live action (which was thrown in for free when I got the entire DVD collection of the show) in North American release (except the live action which is those bootleg from Malaysia).

pbayne

You are way to invested in the harem genre. That's not healthy.

lol I've probably only seen about 5 harem shows. And I wouldn't make a blanket statement like all harems are awful but Saekano is bottom of the barrel type stuff.

Nothing to watch on Tuesdays = Time to complain on GAF

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's kinda funny as you did post about this when I post the same image in February saying

But yea, I own the entire You're Under Arrest franchise show on DVD from the OVA to the special and the live action (which was thrown in for free when I got the entire DVD collection of the show) in North American release (except the live action which is those bootleg from Malaysia).
I have the memory of a goldfish, especially when it comes to this thread. lol
I think I own most of the series on DVD when Rightstuf was clearing them out. I remember missing a big chunk of it though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ergo Proxy Episode 13:

Ah so we finally get the grand culmination of the Iggy Cognito subplot and it lands with a resounding meh at least it does for me. Mainly because I never really cared about that Entourage and really this series has enough rapey creeps who are unhealthy obsessed over Re-l as it is.

John Blade

I have the memory of a goldfish, especially when it comes to this thread. lol
I think I own most of the series on DVD when Rightstuf was clearing them out. I remember missing a big chunk of it though.

Oh, so you did own You're Under Arrest collection. That's good to hear but the original release of the Ova and the TV series by Animeigo might be harder to get as I won't able to find all of them on sale together at a good Price. Also, waiting for this Christmas Right stuff to see what they will put up for sale.

phaze

Ergo Proxy Episode 13:

Ah so we finally get the grand culmination of the Iggy Cognito subplot and it lands with a resounding meh at least it does for me. Mainly because I never really cared about that Entourage and really this series has enough rapey creeps who are unhealthy obsessed over Re-l as it is.

The real Ergo Proxy starts now...

Well maybe,I don't actually have a clue what people mean when they say that. :p

JulianImp

Blah, all this Saekano hate is unwarranted, the show is fun to watch.

I'm not saying it's bad, but more like there're many other shows that deserve being watched a lot more than Saekano. The only season we got so far only helped set up the stage for a boy and his harem to begin making a VN sometime later, and played all the generic boring harem tropes perfectly straight in the most boring way it possibly could. I agree with a previous poster on how the MC appears to have no character traits besides having a harem.

I think Gahara spoiled me on tsundere characters that actually change from their agressive into their endearing sides as the show goes on, rather than their sole character trait being the whole "it isn't like I did <thing> for you *looks sideways*... baka" act over and over. Gahara slowly opening up to Shuraragi as she began showing her more caring side to him was part of what made her character progression interesting to watch, as opposed to some blonde girl with twintails who keeps verbally assaulting the MC, only to blush right afterwards.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The thing is that Saekano doesn't offer anything, other than making stuff like Monster Girls look good by comparison.

I think what infuriated me was that they went out of their way to lampshade themselves in an attempt to justify the crappiness of the show, which I can't stand. Just because you say you are bad at something before you do it doesn't mean you get a free pass.

JulianImp

The thing is that Saekano doesn't offer anything, other than making stuff like Monster Girls look good by comparison.

I think what infuriated me was that they went out of their way to lampshade themselves in an attempt to justify the crappiness of the show, which I can't stand. Just because you say you are bad at something before you do it doesn't mean you get a free pass.

I haven't watched Monmusu, but at least from what I've heard it manages to do what it set out to do, which is lots and lots of lewd.

I'd say that Welcome to the NHK and even Oreimo have better "let's make a VN" story arcs than Saekano. The whole cast was a one-trick pony even if Kato was decent, and only because of how it looked like she was there to make fun of all the copy-pasted harem and VN tropes the show loved invoking over and over.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't watched Monmusu, but at least from what I've heard it manages to do what it set out to do, which is lots and lots of lewd.

I'd say that Welcome to the NHK and even Oreimo have better "let's make a VN" story arcs than Saekano. The whole cast was a one-trick pony even if Kato was decent, and only because of how it looked like she was there to make fun of all the copy-pasted harem and VN tropes the show loved invoking over and over.

Saekano really did suffer from "Ready Player One-ism".
(Haly's favourite book).

javac

Welcome to the NHK is a good show. It slumps and has low points but I feel comfy whenever I think about it, I guess it reminds me of when I watched it all those years ago which is funny because I guess I wasn't too different to Satou myself at the time, I mean even now I'm a social shut in. Erm....NHK has a fantastic soundtrack!

Witch Hunter Robin 12-13

These are the final episodic episodes before we begin the main storyline. The 13th episode was better than the 12th but both were still decent episodes regardless. Now the real show begins.

John Blade

Witch Hunter Robin 12-13

These are the final episodic episodes before we begin the main storyline. The 13th episode was better than the 12th but both were still decent episodes regardless. Now the real show begins.

Yup, get ready to see the big surprise which turn the show around quite a bit and in a way, make the show much better. Hope you like the roller coaster as you continue watching it as I start to like it once you start going through the main storyline.

Katanagatari 12 END

Nah people who didn't like this finale are fucking nuts. I understand, it's kind of a big "fuck you" and everyone fails at everything but really, I cannot imagine a better ending. It pulls absolutely no punches and man is it 100x better off for that, a lot of anime series tend to end in a limp way so I can really respect an ending that is so definite. If you can't at least appreciate that tower climb then I don't know what to say.

Jarmel

Banned
Katanagatari 12 END

Nah people who didn't like this finale are fucking nuts. I understand, it's kind of a big "fuck you" and everyone fails at everything but really, I cannot imagine a better ending. It pulls absolutely no punches and man is it 100x better off for that, a lot of anime series tend to end in a limp way so I can really respect an ending that is so definite. If you can't at least appreciate that tower climb then I don't know what to say.

Now go watch Chrno Crusade.

sonicmj1

Clannad After Story 12

Because 13 is starting with yet another case of characters placing tons of importance on completely arbitrary sports contests, I want to hit this episode now.

I found the first half of this episode pretty unsatisfying for a few reasons, but it's largely the same kind of thing I always dislike about this show so far, so I don't want to spend too much time on it. I can recognize in Yusuke's story how artists can get lost attempting to create for others when they used to create for themselves, but how it's presented here makes it feel so overdone and fake. I couldn't take it seriously, especially presented in monologue form.

The second half of the episode has me conflicted. It's a satisfying emotional story beat. Tomoya's tensions with his father have been constantly simmering beneath the surface of the plot, and they needed to get out eventually. His relationship with his father defines much of who he is, and it's something that still separates him from Nagisa. This can't have been the first time an event like this has happened. His anger grabs your attention.

The problem is, once again, how overdone it feels to me. I could say it pops out of nowhere, but that's not really accurate. It arrives (as always) at the worst possible time, and when Tomoya confronts his father, it happens in such a stilted way due to his dad's complete silence. Once again, the show doesn't trust enough in its characters, and instead tries to manipulate the audience through writing these circumstances.

Maybe things would be easier if I stopped trying to be critical, but I just wish these moments were better. Tomoya has real insecurities, and they would manifest in a real way no matter how this confrontation came about, in a way that would deeply affect Nagisa as much she is affected in this episode. So why does Clannad repeatedly insist on bludgeoning me out of its world to highlight its own artifice?

Cornbread78

Clannad After Story 12

You are about to hit the best part of the whole series that brings it all together. You'very been negative throughout, but the next part is really good.. If you can, watch ep. 15 straight through to the end. This episodes are what makes this anime so special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom