• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

The canadian election, School exams, and this one assignment i have that's causing me undue stress has put anime on the back burner for a while.

If you don't see posts from me for a while in this thread, that's why. I should be back to posting far too often in a couple of weeks.

:)

(btw: sweet jesus is lance n' masques fucking boring.)

Hyoukokun

Just finished watching Nagi no Asukara, and I really liked it! The 'love polygon' aspect got a bit out of hand at times (seriously, couldn't at least one pair of characters wind up in love with each other from the get-go?) but it was beautiful to look at and listen to and the characters developed in interesting ways. I also really enjoyed the setting -
I kept expecting them to shoehorn in some crazy pseudo-scientific explanation for everything at the end, but nope, it stayed an understated modern fantasy all the way... and honestly worked better for it

I think this was the first Mari Okada show I've actually watched (save for a couple episodes of Fractale and Gosick, which I dropped pretty early in). I know she's got a bit of a mixed reputation around here, which I can kind of understand after bouncing off of aforementioned shows... but if I wanted to see more in a similar-ish vein, which shows of hers should I watch? It sounds like Anohana and maybe Hanasaku Iroha would be good next bets.

Baalzebup

Katanagatari 12 END

Nah people who didn't like this finale are fucking nuts. I understand, it's kind of a big "fuck you" and everyone fails at everything but really, I cannot imagine a better ending. It pulls absolutely no punches and man is it 100x better off for that, a lot of anime series tend to end in a limp way so I can really respect an ending that is so definite. If you can't at least appreciate that tower climb then I don't know what to say.

For what it is worth, I really liked the ending. Sure, it wasn't the happiest one but it was a proper ending none the less.

Now go watch Chrno Crusade.

Now there is a real 'big "fuck you" and everyone fails at everything.' It wasn't even really rage-worthy. Instead it was just being covered with a big wet blanket of sad.

Spice & Wolf S1

So I adore this show and the biggest reason for that was the chemistry between Lawrence and Holo. Majority of the show are just conversations between the two and if they werent great characters it wouldnt be nowhere as interesting.

The finance / business angle was also an interesting element. At first all the economics babble kind of tuned me out since I wasnt expecting it. However as the conflicts in the show primarily stem due to bad business decisions, it was a lot of fun watching the two figure out a solution to get themselves out of the mess they created. Even though Lawrence made some dumb ass decisions, I have to give him credit for sticking to his merchant guns until the end. Despite
getting betrayed and almost killed a few times
, he knows that profit comes first and bridges shouldnt be burned. I didnt understand what exactly went down with
the trading company and how he was able to transfer his debt
at the end though.

Of the things I didnt like, I wish this season had a lot more budget than it did. The show looked downright awful at times and some scenes were basically stills. I do have to give props to the background art as it was fantastic. The last few episodes especially had beautiful mountains and forests and meadows. The wolves in the forest scene was badass but I didnt fully understand what happened.
I thought a fight went down but after doing some reading around, Holo got on her knees and begged the other wolves to leave them alone?

Going back to Lawrence and Holo, they play off each other really well. Holo has a great personality and Lawrence can be quite the troll at times. I love how they banter and tease each other. It was great to see their relationship develop and how they got closer and closer to each other.
They were about to kiss early in the season so I assumed they were both aware of how they felt about each other. I guess that was a getting caught up in the moment thing? So much tension between the two, I'm here like "just stop making excuses and get together already!!!".
I also really liked the OP and ED. The OP set kind of a solemn mood but the ED felt completely different. It was cute.

I took a quick peek at S2 and it looks like they got a nice budget increase. The art and animation looks a lot better! I really like the new OP as well which sets a much more cheerful mood than the first. I cant wait to really sink me teeth into this season.

Overall, great show, great characters and world, crappy animation unfortunately. Highly recommended.

Just finished watching Nagi no Asukara, and I really liked it! The 'love polygon' aspect got a bit out of hand at times (seriously, couldn't at least one pair of characters wind up in love with each other from the get-go?) but it was beautiful to look at and listen to and the characters developed in interesting ways. I also really enjoyed the setting -
I kept expecting them to shoehorn in some crazy pseudo-scientific explanation for everything at the end, but nope, it stayed an understated modern fantasy all the way... and honestly worked better for it

I think this was the first Mari Okada show I've actually watched (save for a couple episodes of Fractale and Gosick, which I dropped pretty early in). I know she's got a bit of a mixed reputation around here, which I can kind of understand after bouncing off of aforementioned shows... but if I wanted to see more in a similar-ish vein, which shows of hers should I watch? It sounds like Anohana and maybe Hanasaku Iroha would be good next bets.

Please watch M3.

You mean like the protagonists.

I haven't watched the show but didn't one of the protagonists love someone else for the longest time?

Katanagatari 12 END

Nah people who didn't like this finale are fucking nuts. I understand, it's kind of a big "fuck you" and everyone fails at everything but really, I cannot imagine a better ending. It pulls absolutely no punches and man is it 100x better off for that, a lot of anime series tend to end in a limp way so I can really respect an ending that is so definite. If you can't at least appreciate that tower climb then I don't know what to say.

I didn't think the ending was bad in writing, it just sucked for me because
I was a huge fan of the ship and i don't enjoy tragic romances
. And yes I enjoy my cheesy harry potter 'and then they had kids and gave them really stupid fucking names that would make you cringe' endings.

Busaiku

Nope.
They tried to make it seem like that, and Hikari also thought that, but he and Manaka were always in love with only each other.

jgminto

NagiAsu was the biggest case of romantic blue balls I have ever experienced. They didn't even end it with a kiss! Still enjoyed most of it though.

NagiAsu was great! It had some magnificent artwork and the soundtrack is one of my all time favorites. I just loved the concept of the underwater city and completely fell in love with the world they created. Just gorgeous.

Just wish the first half was written better.
The first few episodes after the time skip
were incredible but it sadly couldnt maintain that quality and we got a good ending instead of a great one.

Regardless, its one of my favorites.

NagiAsu was the biggest case of romantic blue balls I have ever experienced. They didn't even end it with a kiss! Still enjoyed most of it though.

True. However I didnt care too much about Manaka and Hikari so I wasnt too bummed. I got my
Tsumugu and Chisaki
end and thats all that matters :)

Wow K getting good figure support.Very tempted.
CRzpRYxVAAAsnKb.jpg

Hyoukokun

Nope.
They tried to make it seem like that, and Hikari also thought that, but he and Manaka were always in love with only each other.

While I'd buy that the two of them were in love more or less from the start,
Manaka probably wasn't only in love with Hikari; the show made a big point of her losing most of her memories of Tsumugu. Obviously she chose Hikari, but those feelings were there

I suppose Akari and Itaru had a pretty straightforward romantic relationship - though of course they had other adversities to deal with, given the whole sea people / land people divide.

ed: I remember being super excited because I thought I was getting a Chrono Trigger show with Chrno Crusade. Nope.

I've strangely liked every single Okada show I've seen.

Gosick, Toradora, Sakurasou, and Lull in the Sea are some of the most entertaining anime I've seen both visually and storywise.

Yup, remind you, the 1st few volume is retelling the entire show again. This isn't really bad if you like the show but they will be few minor change from the book and show when you read it. Also, they is one of the book which happened during the show which isn't shown on the Anime. I would recommend to go read from the beginning to the current volume so you have a good understanding. If not, then check which book you can skip so you can start where the show end.

I'll start from the beginning and just skim through it until I catch up I suppose. I was surprised to find out that the anime only covered a small part of the series. Like 4-5 books out of 17? I'm happy theres a lot more content for me to catch up on afterwards.

Cornbread78

Nodame Cantabile Finale ep.10-END
Well, I'm sad to see this one end as it was great to follow a mature cast with a good story that keeps you watching even at some boring parts. Well, it was the music that carries you through, lol. In the end, Mr. Tsundere finally grew to understand Nodame, what she was thinking and most importantly, what HE should be doing for/with her. The character development was great throughout, not just for Chiaki and Nodame, but the other cast members as well. That ending though, still not sure what to make of it. It makes you feel good but was missing a conclusion of sorts. Did the manga continue past the ending of the anime? If so, then it makes sense.

One Punch Man 01

I don't have as much time this time around as I did before to dedicate to anime, but I made sure I at lease got to see this and holy shit was it worth it. The way the action was directed made me feel like I was on a roller coaster even though I was sitting perfectly still. The amount of care put into every single frame of animation is nothing short of praise worthy. If they put as much care into the rest of the series as the first episode it may well be crowned the new king of the sakuga series'.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Robot Girls Z+ 05+06
I wasn't really that impressed with this season but the ending went out on a pretty positive note. The amount of detail in frames that just whizz by is kind of crazy and the action-oriented ending leaned into that side of the series pretty heavily. It is impossible to count or even keep track of all the potential reaction images hidden in a show like this.

Narag

Robot Girls Z+ 05+06

I wasn't really that impressed with this season but the ending went out on a pretty positive note. The amount of detail in frames that just whizz by is kind of crazy and the action-oriented ending leaned into that side of the series pretty heavily. It is impossible to count or even keep track of all the potential reaction images hidden in a show like this.

I've been saving this one for when wonzo goes full anime hipster

Robot Girls Z+ 06 END

Yeah this season was weak but this episode had lots of good smears, cartoon violence and it made me smile so at least that was worth it

Haikyuu 03

Gonna be honest, if this show wasn't so beloved I would have dropped it by now and not just because I can't stand the sound of sneakers on a court, I'm just not into sports series. I am willing to give it more of a chance then usual.

pbayne

Yeah i remember being sour on the show for a while because no one i wanted to get together did,
it really feels like everyone just settled for whatever they could get after the time skip, especially Chisaki and Tsumugu I don't understand that relationship at all.

Fantastic show though with one of the best concepts for a world that ive seen in a while. Good example of a show that shows, not tells as well.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gangsta 4-6
I didnt expect this story to get this deep with such mature themes but handle them well and not attempt to have it be "edgy", im really liking this story, how far is the manga?

Moaradin

One Punch Man 01

I don't have as much time this time around as I did before to dedicate to anime, but I made sure I at lease got to see this and holy shit was it worth it. The way the action was directed made me feel like I was on a roller coaster even though I was sitting perfectly still. The amount of care put into every single frame of animation is nothing short of praise worthy. If they put as much care into the rest of the series as the first episode it may well be crowned the new king of the sakuga series'.

The next couple episodes don't let up. It's a treat.

Jintor

Hyouka 14

Oreki's trade-and-save club is getting ridiculous. It's like a chain of fetch quests only he doesn't even have to go do the fetch quests.

FIRE! TOWER OF FIRE

These crowds yo

I would watch KyoAnimation's Iron Chef. That was really fun. CALLING CARD BOOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom