• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

And while I'm on the subject, Gunbuster is better then Diebuster, including the visuals. Come at me, you know I'm right. 8¬)

javac

Nah, I adore the art style for Diebuster. Reminds me of FLCL.

It's no coincidence that it reminds you of FLCL as MetroidPrimeRib said, however watching it, Diebuster didn't really remind me of FLCL aesthetically. I guess its lacking the pillows and the vespa. Everyone loves the vespa.

Phatmac

A bit late but I'm a fan of Steins;Gate x BttF art.
CR3m8f_UkAAldEb

The nudity in Gunbuster never really bothered me, it's actually implemented well in my opinion, it didn't feel fanservicey to me but more like the way people are nude in a film like Robocop or whatever.

Also that scene with Noriko in her bedroom with that Totoro poster ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

------

PS: Both the Diebuster OP and ED are the best things ever made.

The nudity in Gunbuster never really bothered me, it's actually implemented well in my opinion, it didn't feel fanservicey to me but more like the way people are nude in a film like Robocop or whatever.

Also that scene with Noriko in her bedroom with that Totoro poster ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I've heard that Anno wanted everything to move and be represented realistically so that's why you get stuff like the jiggle when Noriko falls onto her bed when she's only wearing the tank top, and that he was sad that it was perceived as being fanservice. Also why can't girls rip their shirts off when piloting mechs? Girls have hot blood too

I'm not sure if that's true but it sounds like Anno and it's just mere hearsay.

Diebuster - 2-3

While I'm definitely enjoying this so far, I can sort of see why some people have a problem with Diebuster.

As much as I like Nono with her cute, earnest, and bubbly attitude (There aren't too many main mecha MCs like that to my knowledge), there's a firm contrast between her and Noriko.

In the original Gunbuster, the first three episodes build up Noriko's character. She goes through a lot of hardship as she experiences the horrors of space combat and how much time dilation affects her.

Nono on the other hand, while cute and awesome, doesn't really have any of those qualities. I get that that's not really the point of her character right now, but part of what made Gunbuster's second half so strong was how much of that weight Noriko had on her shoulders when she came into her own in the second half.

I'm sure it won't stay this way for Nono, and some of that will come later, but it makes me understand the problems people must have had regarding Diebuster with its connection to its predecessor. Along with the fact that the original Gunbuster had some cool scientific aspects to it regarding the time dilation and how difficult the space combat was.

It's like people complaining about ZZ Gundam and its connection to Zeta, being that ZZ was apparently too comedic in comparison to Zeta's more serious tone. (I think, I still need to finish Zeta and ZZ to see how that is for myself).

TL;DR, Enjoying Diebuster a lot, starting to understand the problems others must have had with it.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? ep.1
B0RgmMD.gif

Oh my sides, they hurt... That was good. I love a littel comedy in there and this one delivered in the first episode. I'll have to get over some ov ther other useless crap involved, but the humor was really good here and I look forward to seing where this one goes, lol.

there, it's no longer tumblr...

Loved this anime, Orito Anderson and Ayumu were so good.

kewlmyc

Meh in the way that it's a bad adaptation or meh in the way that the first chapters of the manga aren't good?

Honestly, it might be the second one. The humor just hasn't been as funny in the anime for some reason. The first episodes might not be as funny as I remember.

qcf x2

I used to be a massive Gunbuster nut, own the BD sets and the figures and as much as I still love the ending as I think about it after all these years, I don't care for it anymore at all. What was once a top 5 for me, eh I'm over it now.

And trust me, it pains me to say this as I'm usually very stubborn and hate burying things that I once held up as a beacon of light, but into the trash it goes.

What is this... I'll gladly take those BD sets and merch so you don't have to further sully your trash can.

Chindogg

It's dumb but fun at the same time. Kato's the voice of reason through all the stupid tropes and it's clear that the MC loves all of them despite being completely unable to articulate it.

It's stupid and a guilty pleasure but it's not overly bearing like Monster Musume. I'll see how season 2 works out before completely judging.

John Blade

Will do, also no harm in taking a break, hopefully your work pans out. I'm still in the middle of a break from watching anime myself, I feel really drained out and tired of anime for a while now, which might be hard to believe since I still post here but yeah man, fuck anime.

For me, I guess the fatigue is starting earlier mostly after finish watching Wolf Rain. Right now, I am trying to watch Last Exile Fam, The Silver Wing and Rahxephon and I am a bit far in it (both in Episode 11) but I guess after watching so many Anime with similar story line kinda push me a bit to stop watching them as of now. Not saying I will drop the show but they will be on hold till I feel like I need to watch some more anime.

I guess I might go watch either Korean drama show which is shown now or watch some old Sci-fi show like Babylon 5 which I like. I guess you might notice this even more as I don't post much here now but I guess as you get older, some animated show won't make you happy to watch.

Gvitor

Clannad After Story 15-22 (END)

What a ride. Pretty much everything after ep 09 was great in AS and after episode 15 things really get going. I still have some problems with a couple of things
(mainly no goddamn kiss and some ending-related stuff)
, but overall I liked this so much. I would've marathoned ep 15-end regardless of suggestions, since it's pretty much impossible to just stop after that point.

Ep 18 was the first that slayed me. Sure, Nagisa's death was sad, but it wasn't totally unexpected. "There's only one. It's the one you chose and bought for me. First thing from daddy" on the other hand destroyed me. Ushio is the best.

Ep 20 was also great. The whole scene with Ushio and Fuko was pretty much cuteness overload. Then that goddamn ending happened. I was SURE they wouldn't follow with it (and in a way, they didn't, but damn). The guy had suffered enough.

And that ending was the problem. I searched around shortly after I finished the episode since I didn't understand the final scene with Fuko finding Ushio alone, and found this chart. I can see this working in the game, but I don't really feel like this worked well in the anime.

The order of the things got juggled around, so it mostly felt like "dude loses his mother when he was a child, then the father becomes an alcoholic (and eventually goes to jail). He finally finds something worth living for, then loses both wife and child and dies... BUT HEY, HERE'S A DEUS EX MACHINA SO EVERYTHING'S FINE". From what I've gathered, in the game you get this sad ending first, then work your way through to get the happy one. In the anime it felt like he did all the right things first only to lose it all and have it back by some miracle. And worse, it made the episodes that happened after Nagisa's death kind of meaningless "what-if" scenarios. And since I enjoyed them all so damn much, it kind of stung. I'd be happier if Tomoya's wish ("Nagisa, please save Ushio") in the end only saved Ushio and time didn't reset.

Anyway, I enjoyed this series a lot. AS took longer to get going, but it was a wonderful ride. This have such a diverse cast of well developed characters and it isn't everyday that you get to see stories go to this length, all the way from high school days to adulthood, working and having a family. I still have the "one year ago" episode and the Kyou side-story to watch, but I will miss these characters.

And they should've kissed.

Sakurako-san 3

What sucks about this show is I want it to be something else. It's well produced and has a great concept with great presentation (love the reused bone animation when Sakurako puts the gloves on), but the actual self-contained stories just aren't as interesting to me as far more standard whodunnit mysteries utilizing the same "analyzing bones to find the culprit" stories would be. That's not really fair to say because it's good in its own right and has value as a more character-driven culprit-less mystery series, but damn would I love this if it was what I listed above, especially since there's a severe lack of women culprit-pointers in these kinds of stories.

sonicmj1

Diebuster - 2-3

TL;DR, Enjoying Diebuster a lot, starting to understand the problems others must have had with it.
That was definitely something that bothered me about Diebuster. I'm personally in the Gunbuster camp.

What might help (and this isn't something I realized until after I finished the show) is recognizing that the main character of the show isn't Nono, it's Lal'C. Nono serves a different narrative purpose.

phaze

That was definitely something that bothered me about Diebuster. I'm personally in the Gunbuster camp.

What might help

(Something Something Spoiler Culture.) This is a pretty important point and I feel it would be better to let him discover that for himself.

Grexeno

Gundam Build Fighters Try END

The finale was a boring hodgepodge of random shit.

Man, GBF's finale was fucking awesome.

Man, GBF was fucking awesome.

Ah, I was talking about the fact that G-Reco didn't get 50 episodes. Should've been more specific, haha.

On second thought, I imagine G-Reco not getting a sequel was due to Tomino being in charge of the project and even he acknowledges that G-Reco was pretty much a mess so I can't imagine him wanting to continue it, lol.

I think Tomino acknowledged that he didn't have the stamina anymore to do a full 4-cour series, nor would the state of the industry allow it. Which is a shame because he clearly tried to cram that much 50 episodes into half that amount instead of cutting down. I would have liked to see a full 50.

javac

When I get back into watching stuff, sometime soon, I think that I've narrowed down my options down as to what I watch next:
  • Marco, From the Apennines to the Andes (Isao Takahata)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Isao Takahata)
  • My Daddy Long Legs
  • Oniisama e... (Dezaki)
  • The Snow Queen (Dezaki)
  • Ie Naki Ko (Dezaki)
  • Future Boy Conan (Miyazaki)

No idea which I'll start with.

John Blade

When I get back into watching stuff, sometime soon, I think that I've narrowed down my options down as to what I watch next:
  • My Daddy Long Legs
  • Oniisama e... (Dezaki)
  • Ie Naki Ko (Dezaki)

Can't say as I didn't watch any of those show at all or even heard about them. Man....lots of old anime from the look of it.

jgminto

Gundam Build Fighters Try END

The finale was a boring hodgepodge of random shit.

Man, GBF's finale was fucking awesome.

Man, GBF was fucking awesome.

The fact that by the end of the season the appearance of Domon "King of Hearts" Kasshu wasn't the most exciting moment of the year shows how much they fucked up TRY. As a G Gundam fan, the initial tease of him in the OP got me so excited but then it just continuously dropped as the season went on. Ugh, it's disappointing just thinking about it. Fuck Yuuma too, that little shit was the worst.

The fact that by the end of the season the appearance of Domon "King of Hearts" Kasshu wasn't the most exciting moment of the year shows how much they fucked up TRY. As a G Gundam fan, the initial tease of him in the OP got me so excited but then it just continuously dropped as the season went on. Ugh, it's disappointing just thinking about it. Fuck Yuuma too, that little shit was the worst.

This. Oh man you have no idea how much I couldn't wait for Domon to show up.

I wanted his appearance to be exactly the same as Master Asia's first appearance in G Gundam.

Have him show up, do the East is Burning Red brofist with Sekai, and then have him be a supporting character alongside Ral or something.

But no. I dropped TRY at episode 8 and waited and waited for him to show up, and he only gets a quick cameo at the end, nothing more than that.

Ugh.

Fuck his boring, shitty gunpla that aren't even good enough to polish the armour of Sakai's Magnificent Tryon 3. UGH!

I watched TRY fighers fight against it just to see the Tryon 3 in action and holy shit. I've seen fights in Fairy Tail that have had more deserving victories than that.

javac

Can't say as I didn't watch any of those show at all or even heard about them. Man....lots of old anime from the look of it.

These are kind of the only shows that get any excitement out of me really. Known as the world masterpiece theater these classic shows are animated adaptations of classic books and novels, usually aimed at a younger audience and I love every one of them. The ones I've listed are probably the most well known from the series with Anne of Green Gables doing for the WMT what Totoro did for Ghibli. If you don't mind long series that are aimed at a younger audience that tell universal stories and tug on your heartstrings, both innocent and beautiful to the the core then give them a look.

Theonik

• My Daddy Long Legs
  • Oniisama e... (Dezaki)
  • Ie Naki Ko (Dezaki)

Anne.

John Blade

These are kind of the only shows that get any excitement out of me really. Known as the world masterpiece theater these classic shows are animated adaptations of classic books and novels, usually aimed at a younger audience and I love every one of them. The ones I've listed are probably the most well known from the series with Anne of Green Gables doing for the WMT what Totoro did for Ghibli. If you don't mind long series that are aimed at a younger audience that tell universal stories and tug on your heartstrings, both innocent and beautiful to the the core then give them a look.

Oh I see. Well, I won't stop you going to watch this but do hope you like it. I am guessing we have something like this similar in North America in the 70s but because I am not in that time frame, I can't say much really. Still, hope you like those show and maybe look into some hidden gems when you can like I am slowly trying to find those gems here.

God Eater Episode 3 (rewatch)

It is one of the best episode 3 around, Lenka was doing so many epic things in this aboard the plane even, such a fast learner and the best lyric song was playing as well. Alisha too gave a great effort. I love this episode.

Sakurako-san ep 3

I liked this one, might even be the best episode so far. A nice self contained story with lots of feelings at the end (the good kind of feelings of course). And Sakurako is such a strong character too.

Really digging this show so far.

Phatmac

Easily one of the best episodes of the new Gintama. It's crazy how well the show is at introducing new characters that have such a strong start. The Reaper from a few episodes ago was great just like Noburne too. Tons of laughs and I feel Saito is a solid addition that introduces new elements of cute shyness. Him looking so serious for it to end up him needing to us Odd Jobs Gin's toilet had me rolling. The best moment is easily him appearing crazy by breaking the cup and trying to smile but failing horribly. Hopefully Saito stays as a new constant member of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom