• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Clannad After Story 15-22 (END)

What a ride. Pretty much everything after ep 09 was great in AS and after episode 15 things really get going. I still have some problems with a couple of things
(mainly no goddamn kiss and some ending-related stuff)
, but overall I liked this so much. I would've marathoned ep 15-end regardless of suggestions, since it's pretty much impossible to just stop after that point.

Ep 18 was the first that slayed me. Sure, Nagisa's death was sad, but it wasn't totally unexpected. "There's only one. It's the one you chose and bought for me. First thing from daddy" on the other hand destroyed me. Ushio is the best.

Ep 20 was also great. The whole scene with Ushio and Fuko was pretty much cuteness overload. Then that goddamn ending happened. I was SURE they wouldn't follow with it (and in a way, they didn't, but damn). The guy had suffered enough.

And that ending was the problem. I searched around shortly after I finished the episode since I didn't understand the final scene with Fuko finding Ushio alone, and found this chart. I can see this working in the game, but I don't really feel like this worked well in the anime.

The order of the things got juggled around, so it mostly felt like "dude loses his mother when he was a child, then the father becomes an alcoholic (and eventually goes to jail). He finally finds something worth living for, then loses both wife and child and dies... BUT HEY, HERE'S A DEUS EX MACHINA SO EVERYTHING'S FINE". From what I've gathered, in the game you get this sad ending first, then work your way through to get the happy one. In the anime it felt like he did all the right things first only to lose it all and have it back by some miracle. And worse, it made the episodes that happened after Nagisa's death kind of meaningless "what-if" scenarios. And since I enjoyed them all so damn much, it kind of stung. I'd be happier if Tomoya's wish ("Nagisa, please save Ushio") in the end only saved Ushio and time didn't reset.

Anyway, I enjoyed this series a lot. AS took longer to get going, but it was a wonderful ride. This have such a diverse cast of well developed characters and it isn't everyday that you get to see stories go to this length, all the way from high school days to adulthood, working and having a family. I still have the "one year ago" episode and the Kyou side-story to watch, but I will miss these characters.
And they should've kissed.

The amazing part of the anime is that they could develop the characters so much and you could feel the honest love between them that there was no reason to
show them kiss
It shows the strength in writing. Remember, the theme of Clannad isn't a straight romance, it's about love for friends and especially family more than anything
and yes, this includes the "town" as part of home/family

For me, I lost it several times towards the end. Episode 16 for obvious reasons, episode 18 when
she huge him and said she could only cry in two places, my goodness.. the scene when he finally tells Ushio the story about Nagisa, and the scene in the snow when Ushio dies. So wrong, just watching the arm go limp by her side..

Now, the ending, yes, I know why some people hate those types of endings, but, don't
miracles
happen in almost every fiction story every made? Umm, yeah
... I think it works in Clannad After Story because of everything that had happened up to the defining moment when Tomoya
accepted it all and grabbed Nagisa with the hug that knocked a shoe off. His wish was granted from all the orbs of light from his good deeds and acceptance... what goes deeper is then thinking about the school play story and all the skits with the little girl and the robot it all comes together perfectly in that final scene
then when "The Palm of a Tiny Hand" starts playing and they go through those scenes, that is the true ending, don't even think about the
Fuko part, they were trying to make the link from the previous miracle and the fact that despite the hospital being built on that land, that little special space is still there. Only Fuko could see it..

It's amazing how just typing about it gives you those feels..

javac

I'm thinking of starting with The Snow Queen or Ie Naki Ko first but also very excited at the notion of watching Anne :) Hopefully when I watch it I can entertain you with my updates and impressions!

Oh I see. Well, I won't stop you going to watch this but do hope you like it. I am guessing we have something like this similar in North America in the 70s but because I am not in that time frame, I can't say much really. Still, hope you like those show and maybe look into some hidden gems when you can like I am slowly trying to find those gems here.

No problems, hopefully your quest to find those hidden gems is fruitful and that you can throw some my way when you do discover them!

Cornbread78

Honey and Clover S2 ep.1-3
So a recap episode right off the bsck, then immediately digging further into Yamada and her unrequited love. The tables are turned now that there is a new contender for her love outside of those clowns from the neighborhood in season 1. It's a shame that my boys unrequited love for Hagu doesn't appear to be going anywhere since she still loves Shinobu, well, we'll see, but that's what it appears to be right now... There are no brakes on the drama in this one.

Gvitor

The amazing part of the anime is that they could develop the characters so much and you could feel the honest love between them that there was no reason to
show them kiss
It shows the strength in writing. Remember, the theme of Clannad isn't a straight romance, it's about love for friends and especially family more than anything
and yes, this includes the "town" as part of home/family

For me, I lost it several times towards the end. Episode 16 for obvious reasons, episode 18 when
she huge him and said she could only cry in two places, my goodness.. the scene when he finally tells Ushio the story about Nagisa, and the scene in the snow when Ushio dies. So wrong, just watching the arm go limp by her side..

Now, the ending, yes, I know why some people hate those types of endings, but, don't
miracles
happen in almost every fiction story every made? Umm, yeah
... I think it works in Clannad After Story because of everything that had happened up to the defining moment when Tomoya
accepted it all and grabbed Nagisa with the hug that knocked a shoe off. His wish was granted from all the orbs of light from his good deeds and acceptance... what goes deeper is then thinking about the school play story and all the skits with the little girl and the robot it all comes together perfectly in that final scene
then when "The Palm of a Tiny Hand" starts playing and they go through those scenes, that is the true ending, don't even think about the
Fuko part, they were trying to make the link from the previous miracle and the fact that despite the hospital being built on that land, that little special space is still there. Only Fuko could see it..

It's amazing how just typing about it gives you those feels..

The crying scene was damn good as well. I liked that even though they don't mention it again when Tomoya says goodbye to his father, Ushio kind of hints at it: That it's okay to cry in that situation.

As for the miracle ending... My problem wasn't the miracle per se, it's more the way it was handled. Again, I didn't play the game so I'm speculating based on that chart. In the game, you would get the sad ending then "time travel" to the start again and work your way to get a happy one. With the juggled order, it felt like he did everything right only to lose it anyway, so the miracle felt shoehorned instead of expected. In one second he lost what little he had and in the other he had everything. I suggested only saving Ushio because in my interpretation of the game Tomoya would still remember what happened after Nagisa's death, while in the anime it looked like nothing there ever existed. It was so abrupt it sent me the message "hey, the last few episodes really didn't matter".

Shergal

I'm thinking of starting with The Snow Queen or Ie Naki Ko first but also very excited at the notion of watching Anne :) Hopefully when I watch it I can entertain you with my updates and impressions!

Watching Anne first might risk setting the bar too high for the others.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Accel World

So he's a fatass who's 2 feet tall and he still has a harem of girls tripping over each other to fuck him

:lightnovel:

Accel World

So he's a fatass who's 2 feet tall and he still has a harem of girls tripping over each other to fuck him

I actually felt as if the harem elements in Accel World were a bit restrained and tolerable compared to other harem shows.

Accel World's world building about Brain Burst and how the whole Burst Link system worked were some of my favourite parts about the show.

javac

Watching Anne first might risk setting the bar too high for the others.

Haha I think that they all look amazing personally but no doubt that Anne is considered above and beyond everything else, maybe even the best in the industry. In any case I believe that I'll love them all the same :)

Accel World

I mean, how else are the players supposed to insert themselves into the role of the protag?!

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 22

Wow that was Judai's best duel and so close too. How else can Elemental Heroes get better after this. And Misawa, I didnt even know my favorite normal dragon, Hyozanryu was even in the anime. It was perfect.

And as usual, KENN with the gotcha was awesome. I always laugh.

John Blade

No problems, hopefully your quest to find those hidden gems is fruitful and that you can throw some my way when you do discover them!

Will try to look around to find show I never known about or hidden well like Emma A Victorian Romance or Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures or Gunsmith Cats for some. Show I never heard but just out of luck buy the DVD and watch and love them quite a bit.

javac

Will try to look around to find show I never known about or hidden well like Emma A Victorian Romance or Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures or Gunsmith Cats for some. Show I never heard but just out of luck buy the DVD and watch and love them quite a bit.

Gunsmith Cats is pretty cool! Emma looks like something I'd check out in manga form but if the anime is good I'll look into it too! Off to bed now!

John Blade

Gunsmith Cats is pretty cool! Emma looks like something I'd check out in manga form but if the anime is good I'll look into it too! Off to bed now!

For Emma, the manga go much more detail and it's a bit different from the anime in certain area from where I am now. But if you want to see it in animated form, the Anime is actually fine and do help flesh the story quite well. Would recommend to see both to tell the turth.

Cornbread78

The crying scene was damn good as well. I liked that even though they don't mention it again when Tomoya says goodbye to his father, Ushio kind of hints at it: That it's okay to cry in that situation.

As for the miracle ending... My problem wasn't the miracle per se, it's more the way it was handled. Again, I didn't play the game so I'm speculating based on that chart. In the game, you would get the sad ending then "time travel" to the start again and work your way to get a happy one. With the juggled order, it felt like he did everything right only to lose it anyway, so the miracle felt shoehorned instead of expected. In one second he lost what little he had and in the other he had everything. I suggested only saving Ushio because in my interpretation of the game Tomoya would still remember what happened after Nagisa's death, while in the anime it looked like nothing there ever existed. It was so abrupt it sent me the message "hey, the last few episodes really didn't matter".

I think your perspective is different than mine because when I watched it I never knew a game existed. I only later found out, lol. I wish there was an English translated version of the PS3 game I could get my hands on.

VRMN

I think your perspective is different than mine because when I watched it I never knew a game existed. I only later found out, lol. I wish there was an English translated version of the PS3 game I could get my hands on.

Not on PS3, but an official English version of the game will be coming out next year (maybe this year, but I'm not counting on it) on Steam. If you're impatient, there is a fan-translated version that you can get if you're willing to import a Japanese copy of the PC game. It's currently $70 on import site J-List. You'll probably pay $40 or so for the official version when it releases.

Phatmac

Too straightforward honestly with a simple solution that doesn't do much for me. Hoping for a longer arc case that takes time to solve instead of stuff like this. Still good but I'm not getting much out of the show.
VNFxlqw.png

Sterok

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 1

I need more guns and death in my anime. First Gundam for me. It was good. A lot to take in, but Mika and Orga seem like decent characters. Solid action.

Yeah I still don't know whether I should just keep expecting more of the same from Sakurako or if this is just the calm before the storm. So far it seems to focus on small cases on a weekly basis whereas The Perfect Insider seems to be tackling a major mystery throughout its whole run.

VRMN

Yeah I still don't know whether I should just keep expecting more of the same from Sakurako or if this is just the calm before the storm. So far it seems to focus on small cases on a weekly basis whereas The Perfect Insider seems to be tackling a major mystery throughout its whole run.

I'd be okay with both keeping on with their current structures. Scratch different itches and true mystery anime are few and far between. I mean, you basically have Conan and that's kind of it most seasons.

I'd be okay with both keeping on with their current structures. Scratch different itches and true mystery anime are few and far between. I mean, you basically have Conan and that's kind of it most seasons.

No I agree and that's what makes me look forward to watching each show every week. They both fall under the Mystery category, but both stand up on their own and feel different.

Cornbread78

Sakurako ep.3
Not as good as last week, but definitely more emotional. We actually got a few things out of this, like who south is, (the reason she clings to Shoutou) he has deeper feelings for her with those rosey cheeks, lol. Plus he has no heart apparently. Also, I think this was a set up episode to something bigger coming, or at least that's the way it felt as we dig deeper into the leads.

Russ T

Banned
In my opinion, Tokyo Ghoul was just terrible all around.

I have heard almost unanimously that the manga is actually not completely terrible.

S2 of Tokyo Ghoul at least had a cool idea to make it like an alternate route but then they did nothing with it and events just played out 90% the same.

It's because Studio Pierrot skipped like 95% of the draft the author gave them.

LCTilP9.jpg

500 page written story with not even 10% of it being used.

It literally had Kaneki being forced to eat a human by Tatara and a shocked Touka seeing Rize.

In my opinion, Tokyo Ghoul was just terrible all around.

I have heard almost unanimously that the manga is actually not completely terrible.

The manga is solid but the anime is pretty mediocre. That's what happens when you try to fit in about 70 chapters into 12 episodes and not actually follow the draft for season 2 written by the Mangaka.

JulianImp

Tonights's random anime ended up being Saint Seiya Hades arc EP1. Sadly, it was really boring with how it introduced two random kids, one of wich was a blatant Seiya expy, and then had his lifelong friend get possessed by Hades. While I kind of appreciate that the show wanted to get started as soon as possible with the whole training montage for the young saint candidate and their imminent fight against the resurrected Hades, it felt like the show rushed a bit too much for a single episode's worth of content and it failed to pose an interesting premise.

It's a bit disheartening that the only show we decided to keep watching so far have been Mushi-Uta (which was decent) and Miss Monochrome (just because episodes were short and therefore didn't overstay their welcome)... I guess we'll just keep on hitting the random button until we come across some other show we happen to feel like watching more of.

One of the weirder shows we got recently was about a girl that was somehow transported to ancient Japan in the times of Nobunaga, only all the famous characters were somehow replaced by girls in skimpy armors. We were expecting the ditzy girl to be called a magician and master strategist thanks to having some modern-day stuff and a history book, but not even the comedy segments were funny enough to make it worthwhile.

Also, what's with all those short series and how are they supposed to fit in standard TV programming? We've seen a couple of really weird ones such as one about two sumotoris that looked like a Newgrounds animation, another one about a family of shiitake mushrooms and also Kaasan's Mom Life, which looked so bad we dropped it after just the first couple seconds (while we watched at least a full episode of the other two). Miss Monochrome was good, though, and we liked it since it actually began exactly like the previous random show we had watched (some future vision about meeting some girl) which bait-and-switched us as we learned it was a bona-fide comedy.

Cornbread78

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? ep.1-3
Ok, this one is pretty funny stuff. It's definitely an ecchi, harem comesy, but the jokes and slapstick stuff is good and that is one hell of a game of Jenga, lol. I love how the MC has this imouto complex, but the girls all treat him like shit, it's perfect.

wonzo

Banned
umaru 6-12 end

umaru9.jpg

really fun show to just unwind and watch, deff one of my faves this tear. down for a s2 even with the dumb solid/liquid umaru fuckery

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ergo Proxy Episode 14:

Okay now this episode is much more with what I have been expecting from this series as this was a much more surreal experience then has been seen in many an episode given the blending of reality and unreality. It also felt mostly pointless and skippable so it has that going against it. Really, the biggest take away I got from this episode is the growing sense of camaraderie that Vicent and Re-l are finally starting to show. Also, I actually do know a thing or two about next episode, one of the most infamous in the series.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's by the SAO author. You were expecting anything else?

I have no clue who writes basically any of this shit

Random aside: when is LORD OF THE TAKANASHI coming out? We need to see the final adventures. :(

Quasar

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? ep.1-3
Ok, this one is pretty funny stuff. It's definitely an ecchi, harem comesy, but the jokes and slapstick stuff is good and that is one hell of a game of Jenga, lol. I love how the MC has this imouto complex, but the girls all treat him like shit, it's perfect.

It is pretty entertaining. Though as usual we only get a small slice of the story animated.

Quasar

With my short watch list and feeling in the mood I've started a Kimi ni Todoke rewatch.

Watched the first two episodes.

Oh god I'd forgotten how adorable Sawako is. So want to give her a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom