• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

That's interesting, I guess I never think of how re-watchable something is when I make a purchase, irresponsible of me I know. I generally purchase a show if I like it and if the packaging looks nice, or have a vested interest in the series/franchise.

In actuality I don't think that I've watched a show more then once outside of the Ghibli films, Eva and Bebop. I guess in a sense I hold by first viewing dearly and tend to let the past be the past. Maybe there's a fear that I'll look back with harsher eyes if I was to revisit a once beloved series, but maybe in thinking so I have already admitted so.

I will admit that the packaging is the biggest boon for picking said series up. I've always liked graphics design and physical goods.
I'll admit that I will pick up a small handful of titles literally just to own them on BD, if I really care about the work. However, I can't justify that in more than a handful of scenarios.

The Starmyu character relationship chart was translated. Otp is canon (the heart). Also its kind of funny commentary all around.]
tumblr_nwm5aoMXLT1qetznio1_1280.jpg

pbayne

The Big O 1

Finally started it and five minutes I want to gush about it.

One of my niggles with modern shows id too much talking and exposition is used to set up the plot and explain the setting(huge problem in light novel especially).

In contrast the first few shots of the Big O show everything you need to know. The desolate buildings, the sparse population, the understated jazz in the background immediately I know what the city of Raradim is like. Even a little touch like Rodger activates armor on his parked car which is then immediately attacked by a few bums.

And Rodgers intro just oozes class, all he needs is one line"I'm a negotiator" and im like fuck this guy is awesome. Anyone voiced by Steve Blum is a win in my book.

JulianImp

I've already watched Sakamichi, so if I had to choose between the two I'd probably go for Mirai Nikki instead.

I guess I'll also suggest Kyousougiga while I'm at it, since I kind of liked the surreal setting I saw in the first episode. While I've already watched it, I kind of liked Maiden of Dusk (Tasogare Otome Amnesia, I think), so I'd recommend that as well. The only caveat is that it isn't available in LatAm, so I don't know if that means the show suffered the same fate in Europe.

Another would 've been decent-ish for a Halloween watch, but I can't say it was all that great. The first part was creepy in a moody, somewhat David Lynch-esque way (actually not even close, but still)... but then it became little more than a Final Destination ripoff, which disappointed me greatly.

phaze

Can't agree on that top OP declaration though!
What's yours ? ;p

btw You were right about Owari's 2nd OP. It has grown on me immensely after first dismissing it.

is the worst character. Yup.

So which should we go with for the next “Let’s Watch?”

http://myanimelist.net/anime/10620/Mirai_Nikki_(TV)
with Dub

http://myanimelist.net/anime/12531/Sakamichi_no_Apollon
No dub

Any other suggestions?

Sakamichi is well regarded from what I've seen.

Kyousougiga
huh ? Did I recommend it before ?
House of Five Leaves
Flowers of Evil
hmmm Nagi No Asukara ? I've heard good things about it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Are Kugiloli's non existent now?

Was replaying Yakuza 4 and remembered how Rie Kugiyama used to strike fear in the hearts of Anime Gaffers. Haven't seen her mentioned around these parts for a long time now.

Are Kugiloli's non existent now?

Was replaying Yakuza 4 and remembered how Rie Kugiyama used to strike fear in the hearts of Anime Gaffers. Haven't seen her mentioned around these parts for a long time now.

The worst of the Kugilolis has a spinoff airing right now. Aria AA.

Kugimiya still gets plenty of roles, she's just not as typecast as she used to be.

javac

I'll admit that I will pick up a small handful of titles literally just to own them on BD, if I really care about the work. However, I can't justify that in more than a handful of scenarios.

Yup, 100% reasonable. In similar fashion I tend to only pick up the ones that seem special to me, be it Evangelion, Giant Robo, Patlabor, Macross but a lot of that is no doubt a shot in the dark and based on an assumption not just in terms of how the actual BD turns out picture quality wise but also since I haven't actually seen Touch!, Maison Ikkoku etc. but I take the risk anyways because I'm certain I'll enjoy them, and if not, I still have a nice looking set with great resell value :p

javac

Sentai Filmworks February 2016 releases
Blu-ray
Blade Dance of the Elementalers: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Release Date: 2/2/2016
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English
Format:
DVD: Disc 1 (100 min) eps. 1-4; Disc 2 (100 min) eps. 5-8; Disc 3 (100 min) eps. 9-12
BD: Disc 1 (225 min) eps. 1-9; Disc 2 (75 min) eps. 10-12
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
GyIkqtW.jpg

From the New World: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Release Date: 2/2/2016
Run Time: 625 min
Audio: English / Japanese
Format:
DVD: Disc 1 (125 min) eps. 1-5; Disc 2 (125 min) eps. 6-10; Disc 3 (125 min) eps. 11-15; Disc 4 (125 min) eps. 16-20; Disc 5 (125 min) eps. 21-25;
BD: Disc 1 (225 min) eps. 1-9; Disc 2 (225 min) eps. 10-18; Disc 3 (175 min) eps. 19-25
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $64.99
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $51.99
zUSQvxP.jpg

Akame ga Kill!: Collection 1 [Sentai]
Release Date: 2/9/2016
Format:
DVD: Disc 1 (100 min) eps. 1-4; Disc 2 (100 min) eps. 5-8; Disc 3 (100 min) eps. 9-12
BD: Disc 1 (225 min) eps. 1-9; Disc 2 (75 min) eps. 10-12
BD/DVD CE: Disc 1 DVD (100 min) eps. 1-4; Disc 2 DVD (100 min) eps. 5-8; Disc 3 DVD (100 min) eps. 9-12; Disc 1 BD (225 min) eps. 1-9; Disc 2 BD (75 min) eps. 10-12
Price:
BD/DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $84.49
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $45.49
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
k1ZKsDU.jpg

CE:
Gouov32.jpg

SHIROBAKO: Collection 1 [Sentai]
Release Date: 2/9/2016
Format:
DVD: Disc 1 (150 min) eps. 1-6; Disc 2 (150 min) eps. 7-12
BD: Disc 1 (300 min) eps. 1-12
Price:
qxPu5jo.jpg

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei!: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Release Date: 2/16/2016
Run Time: 250 min
Format:
DVD: Disc 1 (100 min) eps. 1-4; Disc 2 (100 min) eps. 5-8; Disc 3 (50 min) eps. 9-10
BD: Disc 1 (225 min) eps. 1-9; Disc 2 (25 min) eps. 10
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $45.49
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
Si2bzOr.jpg

Space Brothers: Collection 7 [Sentai]
Release Date: 2/16/2016
Format:
DVD: Disc 1 (150 min) eps. 76-81; Disc 2 (150 min) eps. 82-87
BD: Disc 1 (300 min) eps. 76-87
Price:
tlvmyCd.jpg

Photo Kano: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Release Date: 2/23/2016
Run Time: 325 min
Format:
BD: Disc 1 (225 min) eps. 1-9; Disc 2 (100 min) eps. 10-13
Price:
Atfe5vk.jpg

DVD
Indian Summer: Complete Collection (Sentai Selects) [Sentai]
Release Date: 2/23/2016
Run Time: 90 min
Format:
DVD: Disc 1 (90 min) eps. 1-3;
Price:
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $12.99
Lewd?

EDIT: Updated

Ascheroth

Perfect Insider - 03

Yup, I'm really liking this show now that it's finally gone full mystery. Again, they absolutely nailed the creepy atmosphere at the beginning.

Speaking of Mirai, or its author to be more exact, he did another work called Big Order.

And it's getting an anime adaptation in 2016.

Not gonna lie, main character looks like a slightly older Ganta...

Its so good with its powers and abilities thats lets the writer do whatever he wants for no reason for the characters.

Though they should have waited longer, its clearly just a big ad for the manga :/

Quasar

Beautiful Bones 3 - liked this episode. This could be the first time I've seen dementia and its impact on families discussed in anime.

Cornbread78

Ok, I'll do a vote tomorrow between:

- Kyousougiga
- Kids on the Slope
- Mirai Nikki

We will each these three next, but voting will determine order.

I also need to know who HASN'T already seen them. If everyone already has watched them, it's pointless.

What's yours ? ;p

btw You were right about Owari's 2nd OP. It has grown on me immensely after first dismissing it.

Hmm not quite sure. Tsuki's didn't grab me much even after repeats, so it ain't that.

I think I'd put Platinum Disco one or Hitagi End ahead. Moreso though, I'm really, really liking the two Owarimonogatari OPs. Oikura's is especially mesmerizing. Could be a bit of an infatuation with them being fresh, though.

Still, I might have seen those two more than the others and I've only seen 2 episodes, yet.

The Perfect insider 3

What's her face's school girl crush act on Saikawa is way past the point of being cute and I can see why he acts so uncaring towards it as that's probably the only thing he CAN do at this point. Now I'm more convinced the lady from the first episode that went to the office was his girlfriend but knowing anime it's
his sister or platonic friend

besides that it seems like the plot is moving a bit slow. It's still interesting to watch though. Will keep watching.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah I'm really excited to watch Maison Ikkoku soon, it looks really good and up my alley! I own the first BD set and the second is on the way so I might start it soon.

In case anybody is wondering, the blu-ray sets are below:
jsyk the touch BDs are pretty horrendous upscales

javac

jsyk the touch BDs are pretty horrendous upscales

I heard, massive shame, same goes for the Galaxy Express 999 blu-rays too as far as I'm aware. What's worse in that scenario is that they actually tested a 16mm interpositive but decided to do an SD upscale in the end. In any case, packaging still looks beautiful!

The Perfect Insider 03

Fuuuuuuck, this show! I'm loving this. With each episode I keep getting more and more into it. It's like this show was made for me lol.

sonicmj1

I figured it was about whistleblowing in college or something lol

College student and her professor go on a trip with their class to an island where a brilliant researcher is secluded in her lab. Shortly after their arrival, a locked room murder occurs.

"The Perfect Insider" is the exact Japanese subtitle, so I get the sense so far that it refers to "someone who is inside" rather than any sort of journalistic context.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ergo Proxy Episode 15:

So at last I have reached one of the most infamous points in Ergo Proxy, the Nightmare Quiz Game Show as the series gets more surreal in incorporating the mundane and quite rankly obnoxious. Indeed The Game Show motif is quite literal, though possibly also psychological given the nature of Proxies as we get a mash up of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and what I assume to be a typical Japanese game show. Let us cut to the chance in spite of the goofy wrapper this is one of the most important episodes, if not the most important episode because answers to the show, the background exposition that has been missing up until now and serves it up for everybody to see. I don't think everything has been answered quite yet but I am a pretty god picture of what happened to the world and what the Proxies are and it turns out humanity has a back up plan. Not sure how I feel about this being answered in this format but it beats having to listen to The Entourage Council navel gaze about pointless bullshit.

Cornbread78

Honey and Clover S2 ep.4-6
Well, I guess they are out to close out all these relationships with drama, drams drama. The Rika x Mayama story was excellent,
Nomiya
is closing in on becoming the replacement man and #1 in Yamada's eyes (she really needs to stop crying all the time, lol) and the big mystery remains on what Hagu does. In ep.6, it marked the first time in the entire series we got to hear her narrate for herself. As always, she is a mystery, however it almost sounds like she just wants to stay with sensei her entire life. Shinobu decided to
not pursue her at this point and even admitted it to sensei
This all just leaves Yuuta by himself with nothing. It's a shame since they closed out S1 with his love confession to
Hagu
that something can't happen with her. I bet
Shinobu
comes back for her in the end because the show has been pushing them the entire time.. Oh, and the music is amazing so far this season!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom