• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I dunno, I just really enjoyed it. Probably helps that I didn't need to wait a week per episode. It IS a slow build, but it was interesting and the payoff was pretty good IMO.

pbayne

I enjoyed S2 a lot better. Thought it built on the first season and improved it in every way.

Watched them both back to back though.

Id agree I enjoyed that there was no singular villain in season 2 and the views on social media, group mentality etc was very interesting. Some of it did re-tread old ground covered in season one but I still enjoyed it.

Fuck Sentai though for giving it one of the worst dubs in recent memory.

Droplet

Id agree I enjoyed that there was no singular villain in season 2 and the views on social media, group mentality etc was very interesting. Some of it did re-tread old ground covered in season one but I still enjoyed it.

Fuck Sentai though for giving it one of the worst dubs in recent memory.

I thought the concept of S2 was interesting, but the writing was so bad (空気空気空気) that by the end of it I wanted to reach in and strangle the next person who brought up the atmosphere. S1 was much more..."subtle" in its presentation, if that's possible. S2 had a good set up with Tsubasa being a counterpoint to Hajime, ape doctor guy to Rui, and Gelsadra to Berg Katze, but ultimately it seemed to settle for "Gelsadra does obviously questionable thing and everyone just kind of goes along with it because society is dumb". Which might be a legitimate point, I don't know, but the way they presented it sure didn't make it seem like it.

wonzo

Banned
perfect insider 1-3

the asano designs didn't carry over to animation as well as i'd hoped but otherwise this has been hitting enough of the right locked-room mystery notes thus far.

fucking lmao @ the spoilers tho

e: also rip nichijou

Comet Lucifer Episode 2
download.png

Boy, this little girl is annoying right out of the gate...

This episode wasn't nearly as strong as the first. Felt like it was spinning its wheels for a lot of it.

The show looks nice to be sure, and some of the group shots of the main characters are fun, but I don't know if I'll continue this. (Especially since reactions to episode 3 were so mixed too.)

pbayne

I thought the concept of S2 was interesting, but the writing was so bad (空気空気空気) that by the end of it I wanted to reach in and strangle the next person who brought up the atmosphere. S1 was much more..."subtle" in its presentation, if that's possible. S2 had a good set up with Tsubasa being a counterpoint to Hajime, ape doctor guy to Rui, and Gelsadra to Berg Katze, but ultimately it seemed to settle for "Gelsadra does obviously questionable thing and everyone just kind of goes along with it because society is dumb". Which might be a legitimate point, I don't know, but the way they presented it sure didn't make it seem like it.

Good points.

The way they used Vape was probably the biggest botch imo. They never really exploited the fact that he promoted individual thought but used group mentality to achieve his goals. In fact the show seemed to leaning towards him being the one to stop Gelesandra(JJs message) but in the end he did fuck all. Maybe just one or two more episodes to develop vape a bit more could have solved a lot of problems.

I still think Tsubasa, Gelasandra and Hajime stuff was handled very well though. The conflict between the kind of traditional "do good for goods sake" and Hajime's more pragmatic, cynical approach, The conflict between you should always help people against sometimes people should just help themselves.

Apologies if that was a bit rambling, the show isn't fresh in my mind.

InsaneMonkey

Neo Member
The Perfect Insider - 03

Hmm, a bit slow paced with the heavy dialogue, but still pretty interesting. Hoping for some more progress next episode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Perfect Insider/Subete ga F ni Naru 01-03
I was pretty late on starting this because it kind of just never registered on my radar. Not much chatter. Impressions posted usually didn't have screenshots, which I'm assuming is related to the heavily muted color pallete. There's not much cinematic flair when it comes to how shots are composed, so maybe that just has a pretty detrimental effect to a show being screencapped and regurgitated back on something like Twitter.

This show does have a pretty keen eye though, just like its lead Nishinosono. There's a pretty heavy focus on attention to detail with small objects and props that seems ideal for the mystery side this show presents, even if that's hardly the focus of these early episodes.

Even though the presentation of the themes is fairly blunt as the show stumbles out of the gate it feels like the characters have enough going on that I want to peel back the layers here. The subtleties and small character behavior cues seem like they get lost on the audience as I read impressions, in large part because of how strongly the more overt themes are introduced. Because of how the mystery is being set up I assume all sorts of dumb and preposterous things will work themselves into the story. Hopefully the work into revealing the backstory of the characters is interesting enough to offset that.

oh, and making fun of ANN reviews might as well just be not worth it or something at this point, but because of the limited impressions on the show i went there to check on things. hope chapman's review made me wanna vomit. haha. ha. haaaaa. this show isn't really brooding and brilliant but anti-intellectualism makes me very sad.

S2 OP is still the best thing ever.

I really liked the first OP too but OP2 is excellent. Lots of interesting new characters this season too, like that dude and nun sitting together in a garden while Lawrence and Holo look on. Foreshadowing!? Also theres Sheik at the end on a ship lol. I wonder what that character is about, looks like trouble.

You're not ready for this trip, lol.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:(

John Blade

I really liked the first OP too but OP2 is excellent. Lots of interesting new characters this season too, like that dude and nun sitting together in a garden while Lawrence and Holo look on. Foreshadowing!? Also theres Sheik at the end on a ship lol. I wonder what that character is about, looks like trouble.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:(

I wish you luck in season 2. Episode 0 is actually not going to give you any idea of what is coming up in season 2. Just something to warmed you. Still, get ready to see more character development with Holo and Lawrence to the point where the strength between them will challenge them quite a bit during season 2. Still, go watch it all the way as you can't slow down this feeling.

Cornbread78

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? (Is it a Zombie?) ep9-END
qGhfwLk.jpg

The first season of this show was pretty damn good overall. It's funny how the show doesn't know what genre it wants to fall into, nor does it really care as it presented. It has it's own ecclectic style and doesn't falter from it throughout the season.

I mean, that image above was from ep. 11, which was the final regular "story" episode of season 1. (ep. 12 was more of a fanservice friendly OVA) In that scene, it goes from a sullen tone, then some beautiful music playing in the background for a side battle, then a fierce battle between the MC and villain takes place, where the girls clings to him lovingly has he destroys the bad guy then that final touching scene, becomes a LOL, seriously interesting approach to drama/comedy in this show. It was also interesting how they will censor a wheelbarrow full of body parts, but not a chainsaw being pulled through someone's head or a first flying through a face... intersting choices.

Oh well, the first season was highly entertaining, to say the least, and I look forward to season 2 and how they continue the story. The harem elements aren't overbearing, so it hasn;t been too bad. It's sad that his "wife" is probably the best girl, but it seen the least, lol. Oh well, we have Eu for that..

INOOOOOOOOOOOOO:(

It's really good, which is why everyone wants a 3rd season, but if you think Lawrence was an idiot at that point, just wait..
The back and forth with Holo and Lawrence is still legendary for it's whit and charm. Those two played off of one another great, especially as they become closer. The "mystery" aspects of S2 were also excellent.

Sterok

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 3

Mika knows how to be cold and efficient. He and Orga do work well together. Kudelia is nice trying to find a way to make herself useful. Good on her for focusing on her actual skills/resources. Crank at least had a decent death.

I was pretty late on starting this because it kind of just never registered on my radar. Not much chatter. Impressions posted usually didn't have screenshots, which I'm assuming is related to the heavily muted color pallete. There's not much cinematic flair when it comes to how shots are composed, so maybe that just has a pretty detrimental effect to a show being screencapped and regurgitated back on something like Twitter.

This show does have a pretty keen eye though, just like its lead Nishinosono. There's a pretty heavy focus on attention to detail with small objects and props that seems ideal for the mystery side this show presents, even if that's hardly the focus of these early episodes.

Even though the presentation of the themes is fairly blunt as the show stumbles out of the gate it feels like the characters have enough going on that I want to peel back the layers here. The subtleties and small character behavior cues seem like they get lost on the audience as I read impressions, in large part because of how strongly the more overt themes are introduced. Because of how the mystery is being set up I assume all sorts of dumb and preposterous things will work themselves into the story. Hopefully the work into revealing the backstory of the characters is interesting enough to offset that.

oh, and making fun of ANN reviews might as well just be not worth it or something at this point, but because of the limited impressions on the show i went there to check on things. hope chapman's review made me wanna vomit. haha. ha. haaaaa. this show isn't really brooding and brilliant but anti-intellectualism makes me very sad.
Christ I forgot this show existed after the first episode and I actually enjoyed it. Need to catch up on it.

I'm trying to come up with the most generic LN anime. What points am I missing?

- It's the year 20XX and the world is in chaos after Life Changing Event [LCE].

- The world governments have reformed in response of this, and for no particular reason Japan is now a world power.

- The LCE has now given the teenagers of the world some form of sweet power.

- Naturally schools were built that only focus on this power because apparently japanese high schools are like college and don't look at a broad spectrum of topics but are more like technical schools in the year 20XX.

- Our story begins with protagonist. He's the new person at Special School. He's running to class because he's late on his first day of school.

- As he's about to hit the first intersection, he runs straight into Romantic Interest Prime. She had toast in her mouth. She's also tsundere, a beauty, possibly a princess, mean to everybody, and one of the top users of LCE powers in the school and possibly Japan.

- They exchange insults before she runs off. Protagonist arrives at school and is welcomed by Class President. She's a very flirty blonde/black haired girl probably with humongous bazongas and hasn't seen a man before so immediately she begins ovulating and wants the D.

- OP arrives at class and is introduced as the new kid. Everybody starts chattering, the girls immediately start chatting up about whether he's cute and they want the D, but not before long Romantic Interest Prime is shown to be in the same class, stands up and points at him. Protagonist obliges and also points at her surprised. They both go "YOOOOOOOOOOOOU?!"

And that's the end of the first episode. Brb pitching anime.

dan2026

You forgot that main character-kun can only activate his 'special power' by getting an errection.
However main character-kun always has an errection and the power is too strong to be controlled!
And he has vowed never to masterbate or some bullshit.
Good thing all the girls want the D!

Smash hit of the year!

- The world governments have reformed in response of this, and for no particular reason Japan is now a world power.

- Naturally schools were built that only focus on this power because apparently japanese high schools are like college and don't look at a broad spectrum of topics but are more like technical schools in the year 20XX.

- Our story begins with protagonist. He's the new person at Special School. He's running to class because he's late on his first day of school.

- As he's about to hit the first intersection, he runs straight into Romantic Interest Prime. She had toast in her mouth. She's also tsundere, a beauty, possibly a princess, mean to everybody, and one of the top users of LCE powers in the school and possibly Japan.

- They exchange insults before she runs off. Protagonist arrives at school and is welcomed by Class President. She's a very flirty blonde/black haired girl probably with humongous bazongas and hasn't seen a man before so immediately she begins ovulating and wants the D.

- OP arrives at class and is introduced as the new kid. Everybody starts chattering, the girls immediately start chatting up about whether he's cute and they want the D, but not before long Romantic Interest Prime is shown to be in the same class, stands up and points at him. Protagonist obliges and also points at her surprised. They both go "YOOOOOOOOOOOOU?!"

No bored yet bold blue haired girl no buy.

Will this anime have a super evil syndicate named Every Villain Is Lemons targeting one of the girls so they can use her sweet power for their own evil purposes so Protagonist can be a super mega ultra super special awesome hero?

Ascheroth

Ushio to Tora - 17

This is still completely awesome. Ushio has gone berserk because of the beast spear and turned into some kinda monster with freakish eyes that look like cracked diamonds.

I love how basically all the characters he met so far are now assembling and have to work together to save him. It's nice to get reconfirmation that even the monster of the week episodes at the beginning tie into the bigger plot.

It feels like there aren't that many who still watch this... And that's a damn shame, because this is still one of the best shows airing this season.

Cornbread78

motherfucker those come in episode 2 and 3 respectively.

Whew. I was this close to being disappointed.

She's also tsundere, a beauty, possibly a princess, mean to everybody, and one of the top users of LCE powers in the school and possibly Japan

She also has to have big knockers...

Oh and your missing the loli girl, unless you combine the loli with the imouto and/or childhood friend. One of them also has to be a closet otaku and one of them the quiet mysterious type...

You forgot that main character-kun can only activate his 'special power' by getting an errection.
However main character-kun always has an errection and the power is too strong to be controlled!
And he has vowed never to masterbate or some bullshit.
Good thing all the girls want the D!

Smash hit of the year!

Umm, you do realize this exists almost line for line, right?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/12549/Dakara_Boku_wa_H_ga_Dekinai.

Moaradin

Ushio to Tora - 17

This is still completely awesome. Ushio has gone berserk because of the beast spear and turned into some kinda monster with freakish eyes that look like cracked diamonds.

I love how basically all the characters he met so far are now assembling and have to work together to save him. It's nice to get reconfirmation that even the monster of the week episodes at the beginning tie into the bigger plot.

It feels like there aren't that many who still watch this... And that's a damn shame, because this is still one of the best shows airing this season.

I'm still watching it. It's great.

Ushio to Tora - 17

It's on my to watch list, as soon as I have some decent time available I will be watching it. The manga is one of my favorite so I was fairly excited to see that this was getting animated. Glad to hear that people are enjoying it.

MC also needs the perverted sidekick best friend who is hated by all the girls yet provides valuable wisdom and advice in between peeking on the girls locker room. He also needs glasses. Hes also super into idols too.

Crocodile

I dropped Ushio and Tora during the single digits because it was decidedly OK but not amazing. I'll try to get back to it when I have more time since it seems to have improved.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not enough mofu but I'm already rooting for helmet girl.

Narag

I think I stopped paying attention to her when she was making claims about Yurikuma that ran against what Ikuhara had said or some shit.

Not enough mofu but I'm already rooting for helmet girl.

Top right has caught my eye.

Burbeting

Banned

It also needs some very long name like "I can't believe that princess became the love of my life and I became an LCE warrior!"

Heavy Object 4

The show has shown its true colors and is now very very awkward Not-Uncharted. Basically our two leads play the roles of Nathan Drake and Sully where they curse and complain the whole time they're in gunfights but also have to magically come up with solutions to really tough gunfight spots.

No seriously what's up with this military? Who runs this gig? It's downright idiotic to expect two kids armed with nothing but small explosives and a gun to be able to take down basically a fucking plane carrier by itself. Like who writes this shit?

And to make matters worst, as I mentioned earlier, I'm supposed to root for the two leads because they run around the ship screaming and complaining about how they're in this tough spot. Fucking we get it.

The redeemable aspect of this episode is that the evil object is out to take oil, which the group managing it are terrorists, and they're distributing the oil to MORE terrorists. ahahahaha. Hopefully the American government is behind this

you forget he meets one other guy who serves as best friend, but really only provides moral support and is quickly overshadowed.bguy is usually goofy and a bit of a perv. Also he's the only notable non villain male besides protaginist

Go_Ly_Dow

Just want to confirm that the food eating seen at the end of Haikyuu Episode 24 is the most beautiful anime scenes in the last 1-2 years.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.1
I'm still not sure what I just watched, but there is a lot of stereotypical otaku stuff built into that episode. Liek dude, grab the seatbelt and save the chick.... but no, let's have a freakout session about how embarassing and wring it would be. Seriously, they were adults in the military, right? The premise seams interesting, but uuggh, is this show worth watching..?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We're three weeks into this season meaning the three episode rule has passed. So what shows have excited you so far and which left a bitter taste of disappointment in your mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom