• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.php

You should rewatch the relevant Ougi arcs of the second season. She is Araragi's salvation.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have never felt so awkward in my life. I'm never watching an idol show with other members of the public again.

What the flipping fuck is happening? First FMP and now JoJo Part 4. WTF.

Now what we all really need is The Ancient Magus Bride anime adaption and we'll definitely get AOTY.

Ascheroth

Asterisk - 04

Ugh, those CG-puppets, can't unsee <.<
Well this was pretty standard clicheed procedure where Julis fought alone against the enemy, was overwhelmed at some part and Ayato came to the rescue at the last minute, activated his Limit Break and pulverized the CG puppet army without much resistance.

I did laugh at how he basically fought the whole time holding Julis like that, though the finishing move was teamwork at least.
Then there was some nice evil Claudia at the end.

The part of the fight where Julis was fighting was pretty cool, but the choreography went down the drain the minute Ayato entered the scene and it regressed to showing the slash or sometimes only the sound of the slash and cutting to the dismembered puppets right after...

I do prefer the setting in Asterisk where we have all those different schools and forces moving behind the scenes as compared to Chivalry were there's only the asshole school and Ikkis asshole family and that's it. Asterisk also has a seemingly grander story so far.
And I'm a sucker for the Limit Break that comes with a big price trope, so that was also nice to see.

Chivalry - 04

Fuck everyone in this school and especially fuck Kirihara. Certified Grade A asshole.
xBkP4Fp.jpg

Stella spreading the truth.
Felt so satisfying when he got obliterated. Have to give it to this show, it knows how put all the underdog tropes to good use.
The action direction is also like a million times better then Asterisk and it certainly knows how to create tension and excitement.
oM8yap5.jpg

So satisfying.
It's also nice to see that after only 4 episodes Ikki and Stella are basically dating already.

In conslusio: Will continue to watch both since they scratch different itches and are surprisingly different enough even though they look like the same thing at a first glance.

please tell us the details.

I don't ever really want to watch anime in public. My shame would be too much.

There aren't many anime I watch where I would have any problem watching them in front of other people. Indeed, I have sought out theatrical screenings of films such as Wolf Children, Giovanni's Island, and When Marnie Was There. If you would feel shame watching anime in front of others, you should examine yourself and work on your self-consciousness.

javac

Speaking of watching anime in public, I watched Grave of the Fireflies for the first time way back when in a packed auditorium. I remember the people in the row in front of me getting up and looking at me as they walked past as I sat there sobbing and sniffling. I didn't even care :(

There aren't many anime I watch where I would have any problem watching them in front of other people. Indeed, I have sought out theatrical screenings of films such as Wolf Children, Giovanni's Island, and When Marnie Was There. If you would feel shame watching anime in front of others, you should examine yourself and work on your self-consciousness.

Eh I watch it with close friends on occasion when they ask me what's good in a season and I sit to watch with them the cream of the crop. But I could never go to a public theater to watch it. It's more about where I live and the surrounding people. I have an image to keep and unfortunately too many family friends and old high school acquaintances live in these suburbs.

I'm fine with having a close circle of friends to watch the best with and watching everything else, including guilty pleasures by myself. But I wasn't really including Miyazaki or highly acclaimed films with the comment.

Owarimonogatari 4

In where Araragi is still being dense as fuck as he is under the "Ougi spell", until an outsider actor breaks in. This arc is being pretty boring, maybe it could have worked if it would have done with more subtlety and the reality of what's happening would have shown as a twist in the climax, instead of being so clear to the viewers.

Btw, if Tsuki was the one with the best backgrounds, this has to be the one with the worst

Photos with a Photoshop filter. It isn't the first time this series uses it, but this time they felt especially lazy and without any artistry.

Utah-warerumono 4

The laid back atmosphere continues to be the best. But the constant down talking of poor Haku is getting to me, he's just a lazy bum who happens to be good with his brains and people just talk shit about him the whole time. The reveal was a surprise as I thought the guy with the mask
was like his twin brother or something
but apparently he was really good at concealing everything.

Hopefully we learn the secret to Haku by the end of the season. Also in this episode we learn that the princess is DTL in disguise. The episode also had a severe lack of best character (the fluffy chocobo).

Owari 04

KYW7W7P.jpg

Spooky, lies, suspicious, sleeves

This is so clear and so not clear at the same time. I swear Ougi is doing something with memory, but interestingly enough it works on Kanbaru and Nadeko but not Hanekawa. Maybe she is too smart for that? There are about 5,000 flags being thrown in every direction when it comes to Ougi but I gotta say that the shot when she appeared as a shadow behind Araragi was the top suspicious because...what the hell is Shinobu doing?

Anyway Ougi is entertaining as fuck. AND SHE ACTUALLY HAS HANDS WHAT?

Good one.
I mean, JoJo part 4 just announced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrTaVV0Hkng

bJMRntW.png

Chivalry - 04

Fuck everyone in this school and especially fuck Kirihara. Certified Grade A asshole.

Felt so satisfying when he got obliterated. Have to give it to this show, it knows how put all the underdog tropes to good use.
The action direction is also like a million times better then Asterisk and it certainly knows how to create tension and excitement.

It's also nice to see that after only 4 episodes Ikki and Stella are basically dating already.

In conslusio: Will continue to watch both since they scratch different itches and are surprisingly different enough even though they look like the same thing at a first glance.

As far as trashy LN gary stu power fantasy novels go, at least this one is entertaining and has the relationship being established early on going for it.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry - 04

Stella is a screamer [sound], props to the VA though!
While I wasn't a fan of the fight itself, I think it did have a satisfying end.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - 04

Where the drowsy blueberry at? This aint no fun without her. Disappointed in next to no lightsaber sound effects.
Yet another smiliarity to add between this show and the Cavalry one, the fire dragon ability!

Eh I watch it with close friends on occasion when they ask me what's good in a season and I sit to watch with them the cream of the crop. But I could never go to a public theater to watch it. It's more about where I live and the surrounding people. I have an image to keep and unfortunately too many family friends and old high school acquaintances live in these suburbs.

I'm fine with having a close circle of friends to watch the best with and watching everything else, including guilty pleasures by myself. But I wasn't really including Miyazaki or highly acclaimed films with the comment.

"I have an image to keep." OK then.

They're too busy animating Kizumonogatari~

Kizu is being handled by pretty much a completely different team than Monogatari post-Bake, and it shows.

Erigu

[Owarimonogatari]
If I get the chronology, Araragi has only met Ougi once, during that conversation about traffic lights that set in motion the time travelling plot.
That conversation actually happened months after the time travel plot. It merely reminded him of Hachikuji (so Mayoi Jiangshi kinda/sorta is a flashback, actually).
Same thing for the follow-up (Shinobu Time): Araragi reminisces about those events months later, as he talks to &#332;gi.

(I posted a timeline, earlier)

Utawarenaumono (at least I tried) 04

The revealing of the masked man
was the biggest plot twist in anime ever,
I thought it was some evil shadow clone or something

These girls also really like hot baths, gotta sell your Tactical J-RPG's somehow I guess.

DTL-chan is awesome, she has one of my favorite character tropes.

"I have an image to keep." OK then.

You can disagree and I'm not particularly proud of it but there's stigma to anime that was previously present in say superhero, comics, and even board games. If you're able to ignore it that's great but it was only until recently that many of the above listed became more socially acceptable. When anime becomes more socially acceptable I'll gladly be more proud of it. Until then I'm the guy people ask on FB chat what's worth watching and I usually point towards things they're likely to enjoy because it's tested as far (aka Attack on Titan).

I'm still a geek but the amount of people that would outright judge me and make assumptions over knowing I regularly watch anime (outside of the few friends)? You only have to look at NeoGAF to see even what fellow geeks think and assume.

I watched a lot of anime films with my previous roommates.

They really liked Redline, but other movies clearly bored them. Summer Wars practically put them to sleep.

It's interesting to see reactions to anime when it's the stuff that supposedly anyone can watch.

Qurupeke

The right twist for the wrong arc.
An answer as cryptic as something Ougi would say. 10/10

[Owarimonogatari]

That conversation actually happened months after the time travel plot. It merely reminded him of Hachikuji (so Mayoi Jiangshi kinda/sorta is a flashback, actually).
Same thing for the follow-up (Shinobu Time): Araragi reminisces about those events months later, as he talks to &#332;gi.

(I posted a timeline, earlier)

Oh, thanks. I knew about Shinobu Time but I thought Mayoi Jiangshi's Ougi scene was before the events. Yeah, it makes sense if that's the case, considering Hanekawa mentions that Araragi knows Ougi for about 3 days.

I watched a lot of anime films with my previous roommates.

They really liked Redline, but other movies clearly bored them. Summer Wars practically put them to sleep.

It's interesting to see reactions to anime when it's the stuff that supposedly anyone can watch.

Similarly I've watched anime films with friends and they enjoy them. But these are my close friends who have asked me on occasions to watch stuff with them. Like some time ago we watched Sword of the Stranger and the friend I watched it with loved the film. He particularly loved the story and the fight scenes.

On that note I just don't know how many people appreciate the effort that goes into animating. Maybe that's a part of what I love about cartoons, films, cg, animatronics, etc...

I enjoy seeing a lot of hard work give results. Redline is a testament to this. If that thing had been a hollywood studio film it likely would have gotten cancelled early on.

javac

I don't really talk about or mention anime anything irl, it's an up hill battle I'd rather not engage in. Same with video games being a Nintendo gamer in a crowd of PS4 owning, Fifa players. No big deal, plenty to talk about and I'd rather move away from thinking about things like that when I'm out and about. I spend enough time around anime and video games as is. I do talk anime with my brother but that basically is me trying to get him to watch Patlabor and him trying to get me to read Berserk and watch FMA:B, two things we both refuse to budge on.

Phatmac

Ougi has vastly improved from previous seasons as a direct threat to Araragi. We know she did some heinous shit with Snake girl and Kaiki so she must have some long intricate plan to ruin everything. Glad Hanekawa came in and stopped her before it got bad. Loved the stand of between the two. This show continues to get more spooky each week. All hail spooky Ougi!
image.php

Attack on Titan Junior High 04

Well I lasted 4 episodes. It's just not very funny aside from using the music in joke situations. Dropped.

Valkyrie Drive 03

Back Pain the Animation.

One of the girls turns into a motorcycle and someone is named LADY LADY and that is enough for me to keep watching it.

You can disagree and I'm not particularly proud of it but there's stigma to anime that was previously present in say superhero, comics, and even board games. If you're able to ignore it that's great but it was only until recently that many of the above listed became more socially acceptable. When anime becomes more socially acceptable I'll gladly be more proud of it. Until then I'm the guy people ask on FB chat what's worth watching and I usually point towards things they're likely to enjoy because it's tested as far (aka Attack on Titan).

I'm still a geek but the amount of people that would outright judge me and make assumptions over knowing I regularly watch anime (outside of the few friends)? You only have to look at NeoGAF to see even what fellow geeks think and assume.

Board games? Who looked down on people for playing board games? If anything, I've always felt it to be the opposite; board game enthusiasts are seen as particularly intelligent.

Anyway, while I can see people looking at you funny if you live the "anime lifestyle", as Funimation calls it, going around in cosplay, covering your room in figures, or peppering random Japanese words into your speech, I don't think there are too many people in the real world who will condemn you just because you watch some anime. Certainly I don't hide my interest in anime and I've never had people criticize me for doing so. But perhaps you are unlucky in the types of people who live around you.

Utawarerumono - 04

I didn't expect this show to feature so much itty bitty kitty titties and big fat cat tats (they are feline humanoids, right?). At least they're catering to both sides (Ukon is fucking ripped)!
I like all the attention to ears and tails movements. Feels weird to hear Symphogear Carol say dess all the time.

Board games? Who looked down on people for playing board games? If anything, I've always felt it to be the opposite; board game enthusiasts are seen as particularly intelligent.

Anyway, while I can see people looking at you funny if you live the "anime lifestyle", as Funimation calls it, going around in cosplay, covering your room in figures, or peppering random Japanese words into your speech, I don't think there are too many people in the real world who will condemn you just because you watch some anime. Certainly I don't hide my interest in anime and I've never had people criticize me for doing so. But perhaps you are unlucky in the types of people who live around you.

If you don't think there's a stigma associated with watching anime, you must live in a very different world. It's not something I'm particularly ashamed of, but I wouldn't go around telling my coworkers that I watch anime either because it would certainly change how they perceive me.

petran79

Banned
I don't really talk about or mention anime anything irl, it's an up hill battle I'd rather not engage in. Same with video games being a Nintendo gamer in a crowd of PS4 owning, Fifa players. No big deal, plenty to talk about and I'd rather move away from thinking about things like that when I'm out and about. I spend enough time around anime and video games as is. I do talk anime with my brother but that basically is me trying to get him to watch Patlabor and him trying to get me to read Berserk and watch FMA:B, two things we both refuse to budge on.

In my workplace at school all are women, so anything not serious like video games and anime is out of the question! Kids are more open-minded fortunately!

I used to read a lot of books and watch "normal" movies, so I can get by in discussions....Though I prefer thrillers and horror flicks but cant talk about that either

I find Patlabor superior to both FMA and Berserk to be honest since character development is unmatched. But perhaps it requires attention to detail to appreciate it and he'll find it probably boring.

I'd recommend too to read first half of Berserk without hesitation. It is one of the best reads ever. Or at least watch the anime series. Regarding the manga, you can stop reading when Guts meets the new party. You've already experienced the best manga moments anyway.
I did not watch FMA but read the manga. Title is worth reading till the end, but unlike Berserk and Patlabor some characters might not appeal to you (shonen demographic).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom