• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
Haikyuu S2 4
gZ5U8IT.jpg
AyppYHX.jpg

This show remains excellent. Saeko a best. Lev is colossal, but seems like a cool dude. Comedy remains on point, more people should def be watching this.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Owarimonogatari 4

sWKaHYG.jpg
lP9Tlyg.jpg
Gif not made by me but here to illustrate what I mean.

Ougi is so extremly creepy and you really see how tired of this crap Hanekawa is.

Everyone who says Ougi is a cute helper is out of their minds o_O

Young Black Jack 04

And so it happened. Just like I said, this episode was going to be make it or break it kind of thing, and it broke. The show is good, but it doesn't work for me anymore. With the amount of stuff I have to watch on Saturdays, as I am watching it I keep checking just how many minutes are left until I can go watch my other stuff. Dropped.

tatsuki

Give a try to One Punch Man, Osumatsu-san and Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. You don't need prior knowledge for this Gundam.

One-Punch Man?

Definitely One Punch Man.

Also give Comet Lucifer, Osomatsu-san and the new Gundam a try.

One Punch Man - I figured this would be said. I just haven't brought into the hype behind it though. I guess I'll give it a chance.

Osomatsu-san - I shouldn't be like this. I can't get into that art style though. I don't see myself watching this.

I have a really hard time getting into Mecha anything. I will give Comet Lucifer a try though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Deadly

I like both but for different reasons. If I had to choose one, I'd probably say Asterisk because Rakudai's downsides bother me more despite it having better high points right now. Rakudai's fights and Ikki are great. I like that it basically has that shounen heart at its core with the scrappy underdog fighting against the odds. However, the personality tropes along with the the lewd are super annoying and take up way more time than they should. I really don't need them fawning over Ikki and I don't need to see Stella blubber so much.

Ayato doesn't bother me too much. He could be better but eh, at least he's not offensively bad. I think the rest of the cast and interest in where they're going with the story is where Asterisk pulls ahead for me at the moment.

I can definitely see Rakudai pulling ahead by the end of the run but it'll definitely be on the strength of the fights more than anything.
Rakudai is basically just fighting + fanservice. It doesn't seem to have alot of plot but it does appear to concentrate alot more on the characters. Establishing Ikki and Stella as an actual couple definitely helps.

On the other hand, Asterisk seems to actually have some kind of world-building and a plot it's going towards. As a consequence, I'm guessing it'll suffer more on the character development but I hope I'm wrong.

Overall, I think I'm on Asterisk side since it seems to actually have more of a story. So far I like the characters better too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I like both but for different reasons. If I had to choose one, I'd probably say Asterisk because Rakudai's downsides bother me more despite it having better high points right now. Rakudai's fights and Ikki are great. I like that it basically has that shounen heart at its core with the scrappy underdog fighting against the odds. However, the personality tropes along with the the lewd are super annoying and take up way more time than they should. I really don't need them fawning over Ikki and I don't need to see Stella blubber so much.

Ayato doesn't bother me too much. He could be better but eh, at least he's not offensively bad. I think the rest of the cast and interest in where they're going with the story is where Asterisk pulls ahead for me at the moment.

I can definitely see Rakudai pulling ahead by the end of the run but it'll definitely be on the strength of the fights more than anything.

My biggest problem with Rakudai is the fanservice is a bit over the top. Which I realize is a hilarious thing to say given that Claudia straight up gave Ayato a grope in payment for a favor.

Utawarerumono 04

Plenty of light in this one still. This show is always a joy to watch. Rurutie's filthy mind kills me. Haku continues being his happy-go-lucky self, and today's twist actually caught me off guard.

Shouta

Rakudai is basically just fighting + fanservice. It doesn't seem to have alot of plot but it does appear to concentrate alot more on the characters. Establishing Ikki and Stella as an actual couple definitely helps.

On the other hand, Asterisk seems to actually have some kind of world-building and a plot it's going towards. As a consequence, I'm guessing it'll suffer more on the character development but I hope I'm wrong.

Overall, I think I'm on Asterisk side since it seems to actually have more of a story. So far I like the characters better too.

Well, Rakudai definitely has spent more time establishing characters because they spent the first two eps on them. Asterisk developed Julis in Ep 3 and 4. We've gotten bits and pieces of Ayato as well. It's just Ayato isn't nearly as compelling on that front because there are a ton of questions still.

Ikki is pretty straightforward and easy to understand in regards to background. Also his background makes you want to cheer for him. Getting looked down by your own family and the school? Prove the wrong!

My biggest problem with Rakudai is the fanservice is a bit over the top. Which I realize is a hilarious thing to say given that Claudia straight up gave Ayato a grope in payment for a favor.

Well, Claudia has been the main source of that in Asterisk and it's been rather tasteful, all things considered. Rakudai though, we had that riding on top of Ikki + blushing, the wash your back scene in Ep 2, stripping in the mall in ep 3, and then the shower scene at the start of 4. That's way more than Asterisk.

Then there's the creeeeeeepy sister. Ugh.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Utawarerumono 4

I really feel this episode was weak. I understand it needed to happen to give the furries enough fapping material for the next 8 weeks so the show can tell the rest of the story in peace however it was such a downer having to watch it. I'm hoping it doesn't have to happen again. I don't want one of the only three good shows this season to pander to diseased minds :(

Crocodile

Comet Lucifer - Dropped after two episodes. This doesn't look like its doing ANYTHING unique or to distinguish it from a thousand other "boy meets weird girl and gets a mecha" shows.

Concerto Revolution
- The most recent episode was the best one yet. The eaiset to follow and some sweet sakuga action at the end. Hopefully the show is on an upwards trajectory.

Lupin III 2015 - Pretty much what I expected - aka good, clean, enjoyable anime fun. Episode 4 was kind of weird though and people in this show have an uncanny ability to dodge bullets. Still this is classic Lupin and I'm enjoying myself.

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans holding steady and doing better than I expected. I was afraid Mika was going to be one of those no-emotion robots but I think they've done a good job of making a character who is more reserved and stoic but not coming off as some robot.

One Punch Man
continues to be God's gift to anime and anime fans <3

On a side note, what are you guys doing? You have total control of the anime you can watch and y'all spending your time watching shitty battle school shows :(

Sterok

Go! Princess Precure episode something

Kanata managed to become worse than Blue!

THE AKIO COMPARISON HOLDS AS SHIT GOT REAL.

Kanata was always worse. As bad as Blue was he could at least do stuff semi-consistently and sometimes had a funny. Kanata just sucks all then energy out of the show the moment he's onscreen, and that was before he got amnesia that's just there for padding.

kewlmyc

On a side note, what are you guys doing? You have total control of the anime you can watch and y'all spending your time watching shitty battle school shows :(

People can eat health foods, but still choose to eat junk food every now and then. Battle-harem and harem shows in general are like that.

People can eat health foods, but still choose to eat junk food every now and then. Battle-harem and harem shows in general are like that.

Plus, a lot of the time you run out of those healthy shows too.

I'm all caught up on the shows that I consider good this season...

Quasar

Noragami 2.04 - And its on. It does kind of make me wonder how god power levels work in the setting, when you have a God of War with lots of shinki and shrine and followers versus a bum with none of that an even match (even considering Bishamon is weakened). Admittedly Yatto has a history as a loner god who kills everything, but still.

Failed Knight 4 - I wonder how show only people feel about Failed Knight's rushing. I mean we went from last episode where imouto and Stella are fighting over Ikki and Stella/Ikki barely having a first date to confessions all round and imouto being respectful of Stella/Ikki.

I think it's because two of those shows this season are SO similar to each other in premise, characters, and setting that it's making people want to watch both shows so they can compare the two and spot the differences.

Crocodile

At the end of the day, I can't really be the the arbiter of objective good and bad. So I don't mean to offend. I guess my exclamation was because I just look at the synopses and impressions of those shows and my eyes just start to glaze over. They sound like "Generic: The Anime" distilled to its core. Nothing about them seems to stand out or be worth of attention. Then again I'm the sort of guy who couldn't make it 10 minutes into the first episode of Mahouka without my "can't even" quotient getting maxed out and being forced to bail. That and I would say not all junk food is created equal.

If you have to spend your time watching anime, try out some stuff from previous seasons or years that you missed but might catch your eye.

Asterisk 04

Did he just destroy all the robots while holding her in his arm?! Wut LOL. This show goes in the "it's so bad it's good" category to a T. The last few minutes however were interesting. Just what are these people up to on both sides?

Cavalry 04

Cavalry wins again. This was a surprisingly good episode. In all aspects. Fan service was toned down and shit got serious. That was fucking rad. Ikki 2 savage.

Noragami 2.04 - And its on. It does kind of make me wonder how god power levels work in the setting, when you have a God of War with lots of shinki and shrine and followers versus a bum with none of that an even match (even considering Bishamon is weakened). Admittedly Yatto has a history as a loner god who kills everything, but still.

I always thought that more regalia didn't = more power. It actually seems like a weakness when you just hoard then like Bishamonten.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, Rakudai definitely has spent more time establishing characters because they spent the first two eps on them. Asterisk developed Julis in Ep 3 and 4. We've gotten bits and pieces of Ayato as well. It's just Ayato isn't nearly as compelling on that front because there are a ton of questions still.

Ikki is pretty straightforward and easy to understand in regards to background. Also his background makes you want to cheer for him. Getting looked down by your own family and the school? Prove the wrong!

Well, Claudia has been the main source of that in Asterisk and it's been rather tasteful, all things considered. Rakudai though, we had that riding on top of Ikki + blushing, the wash your back scene in Ep 2, stripping in the mall in ep 3, and then the shower scene at the start of 4. That's way more than Asterisk.

Then there's the creeeeeeepy sister. Ugh.

The only thing I'll say about the squicky incest shit is that at least the idea seemed pretty gross to everyone else (including Ikki). I mean, Alice was nice to the sister about it I guess, but I'm guessing she at least understands that the sister (I have no clue what her name is) is probably misdirecting her feelings of familial love. I suppose in some sense its not that surprising given we're already told that Ikki's family is about as fucked up as the other jerks at the school he goes to.

Kanata was always worse. As bad as Blue was he could at least do stuff semi-consistently and sometimes had a funny. Kanata just sucks all then energy out of the show the moment he's onscreen, and that was before he got amnesia that's just there for padding.

Just like
how he sucked out all of Haruka's hopes and dreams by telling her peasents can't become princesses

How apt

Asterisk 04

Did he just destroy all the robots while holding her in his arm?! Wut LOL. This show goes in the "it's so bad it's good" category to a T. The last few minutes however were interesting. Just what are these people up to on both sides?

Sir, I don't mean to be rude, but I must inform you that the "so bad it's good" category has things of FAR greater caliber than that.

Let me tell you about the last five episodes of Code Geass R2. Now THOSE were something else.

A dude destroying robots with a girl in his arm is child's play in comparison.

Shouta

"Healthy" shows aren't always all that great or interesting either.

There are tons of shows that have the look of a show that will be fantastic but end up just being mediocre. Then there are tons of shows that look super generic but are incredibly fun to watch.

Rakudai and Asterisk both use pretty standard anime elements that even the big, popular shows have. So both have potential to be good but it ultimately depends on how they twist that formula for their own setting. That's kind of what makes it interesting to watch, seeing how they change a tried and true formula. Both airing at the same time is also great for the compare and contrast as well.

Cornbread78

Utararerumono ep.4
Well, there goes the "safe" part of this anime, lol. Two weeks in a row of Kuon's boobs... Rurutie was hilarious in this episode with of her BL thoughts about Haku and Ukon. Made for good comedic relief. On the whole, the episode was decent as it gave us more insight on the characters, but not much action.

Gvitor

Asterisk 04

Itto Shura really does everything. The animation was good, at least. I feel like they keep checking boxes in the cliché book, and I still have no idea why I watch this stuff.

Cavalry 04

Lightsabers? Check
Stormtroopers? Check

Why the hell did he carry her during the whole fight lol

Owarimonogatari 04

Question: "Just how foolish is Araragi Koyomi? Answer within 20 words."

Answer: A whole fucking lot.

This episode made it totally clear, if it wasn't already of who was in control. It's simply amazing how Ougi keeps calling Araragi a fool and he doesn't even react. Maybe it's cuz it's been so many episodes of the other girls abusing him verbally, he's just desensitized. But still... Based Hanekawa actually managed to get this fool's head out of his ass. All it took was mentioning her
breasts
. Smart girl, mhm.

Sir, I don't mean to be rude, but I must inform you that the "so bad it's good" category has things of FAR greater caliber than that.

Let me tell you about the last five episodes of Code Geass R2. Now THOSE were something else.

A dude destroying robots with a girl in his arm is child's play in comparison.

Oh yeah definitely. It's just that I couldn't help but laugh at the whole thing as it happened in front of my eyes, it was amazing LOL.

close to dropping this with the amount of fan service involving baths in this series. I love Kuon and I don't mind some fan service but this show's pacing has fallen off a cliff. Nothing of note really happened besides a lame reveal and Ukon's little sister being a little shit. This episode was pretty bad with her giving Haku shit for everything he did. She may be cute but stop being a bitch kid. I should probably stop it but Kuon is too good for me to miss.

Well, from what i heard, anime already rushing the fanservice/SoL part, i mean, it seems Utawarerumono 2's non-main plot is very, very long, and most are on first half of the game.

Kenstar

Imouto reminded me that I hate when seiyuu inhale after every sentence
Gloomy Sadako clone woman from HxH was a problem offender as well

Well, from what i heard, anime already rushing the fanservice/SoL part, i mean, it seems Utawarerumono 2's non-main plot is very, very long, and most are on first half of the game.

Well it's a 30+ hour game most of which is a visual novel, so there's probably a lot to condense. Though the game has a lot of slice of life too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would commit honorable sudoku on the spot.

Rakudai x Asterisk 04

I preferred Rakudai's fight in this week's competition between the two because it actually makes the MC look imperfection whereas Asterisk's fight was just the MC being as perfect as possible.

However I give the edge to Asterisk this week because it included world building elements what with all the dark hand shit apparently going on with the student president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom