• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

Oh hey it's that male character from that other anime.

Seriously, can't character designers come up with some unique male character designs for once. Yes, I get they are blank canvas self insert nobodies, but seriously, it's drab and lazy.

Araki manages to fill his male dominated JoJo series with all sorts of unique male designs.

To not detract from the more important female character designs, probably? It's not really fair to compare it with something where the male character designs are supposed to be appealing and interesting.

TheRancor

I'd personally rather Dreaming Machine never come out. As it is, Satoshi Kon was super detailed in his storyboarding so you could in essence create the film from what he left behind however his storyboards weren't finished in this instance, but regardless it wouldn't be the same. He did give it his blessing so it wouldn't be against his word to finish and release it but I don't know...
Script and Storyboards by him were finished IIRC.

Back from the dead. Time to post.

Asterisk 4
Cringe mode activated. Argh why.
The fight scene this time around felt super sloooww. And come on, make up your mind to be embarrassed or teasing now.

Calvary 4
Surprisingly well done. They managed to knock out the park with the scenes in this episode, and there it is, they finally became a couple.

Valkyrie Drive 3
Woah! We starting off with BDSM already?
The faces this time around is definitely gif worthy, plus that ending "lady....lady", PLEASE I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING ALREADY.

javac

They were? I was thinking that was the case to be honest but then I remember hearing elsewhere very recently in fact that the storyboard was "nowhere near finished, not even close" but looking back I guess that they were indeed completed and it was just a case of misinformation. Its been a while so forgive me for the slip up and thanks for the correction!

Mecha

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG9tWDy6Hmc
Ugh Deen.
The popular "alternate world home comedy" centers around Kazuma Satō, a hikikomori (shut-in) die-hard fan of games, anime, and manga. A traffic accident brings his disappointingly brief life to an end … or it should have, but he wakes up and sees a beautiful girl who introduces herself as a goddess. "Hey, I have some good news — would you like to go to an alternate world? You may only bring one thing you like with you." He responds, "…So, I'll bring you."

I can't hate on the author, he knows his audience.

DiGiKerot

Might be true of the script, but I'm pretty sure Maruyama said at his panel at this years Otakon that the storyboards weren't completed, and even if they were and he could get funding, there isn't a director currently working in anime that he'd trust to complete the movie to anything like the standard he'd want it to be.

Honestly, at this point, just let it go.

Back from the dead. Time to post.

Asterisk 4
Cringe mode activated. Argh why.
The fight scene this time around felt super sloooww. And come on, make up your mind to be embarrassed or teasing now.

Calvary 4
Surprisingly well done. They managed to knock out the park with the scenes in this episode, and there it is, they finally became a couple.

Cavalry is still the better of the two in my opinion. Episode 4 tuned down the fan service quite a bit and actually told a pretty cool story. Not to mention the battle which was super bad ass. We also got an actual
couple
out of this show within only a few episodes.

Asterisk on the other hand was weird. It's been this way since episode 1 and I keep saying it, but it takes itself too seriously. Like, I know that the scene in which the MC takes down all the robots is supposed to be cool and all, but how am I supposed to take it at face value while he keeps holding the girl in his arm the whole time?! LOL. I get that you wanna make him seem powerful and stuff, but that was just so unnecessary. Even the girl asks him to put her down and he just nonchalantly says "bear with it for a bit". Like, u wut m8.

TheRancor

Might be true of the script, but I'm pretty sure Maruyama said at his panel at this years Otakon that the storyboards weren't completed, and even if they were and he could get funding, there isn't a director currently working in anime that he'd trust to complete the movie to anything like the standard he'd want it to be.

Honestly, at this point, just let it go.
Hmm I didn't know about any new updates on the storyboard status. But yeah, I've heard of the huge hurdles they have.

Edit: Hmm this Otakon transcript didn't really mention storyboards but what do I know, I wasn't there lol

http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=73

09:22:05 <bay|Ota|MAPPA> Q: Over the years, you've talked about doing Satoshi Kon's last project.. with the kickstarter for In this corner, might you be able to get the funding that way?
09:22:44 <bay|Ota|MAPPA> A: The budget is a huge hurdle, a challenge for the series, but even more so, it's only possible if you bring Satoshi Kon from the after life
09:22:52 <bay|Ota|MAPPA> Q: But in the past he's talked about doing it
09:23:55 <bay|Ota|MAPPA> A: I'm still in the mindest to find the talent that can be equivalent to his talent, but currently, I'm in the mindset that I don't see it
-----------------------------------------------------------

http://studioclimb.com/news_SK.html

Wonder if these are glimpses of it

sk_03.jpg

sk_04.jpg

Cornbread78

Cavalry is still the better of the two in my opinion. Episode 4 tuned down the fan service quite a bit and actually told a pretty cool story. Not to mention the battle which was super bad ass. We also got an actual
couple
out of this show within only a few episodes.

Asterisk on the other hand was weird. It's been this way since episode 1 and I keep saying it, but it takes itself too seriously. Like, I know that the scene in which the MC takes down all the robots is supposed to be cool and all, but how am I supposed to take it at face value while he keeps holding the girl in his arm the whole time?! LOL. I get that you wanna make him seem powerful and stuff, but that was just so unnecessary. Even the girl asks him to put her down and he just nonchalantly says "bear with it for a bit". Like, u wut m8.

LOL, I'm enjoying them both for different reasons, but yeah, Calvary has been the better of the two thus far. Both had cute endings this week, (the actual confession/ "couple" scene was pretty damn good) which again is why these two shows are waaay too much alike, lol.

Ascheroth

LOL, I'm enjoying them both for different reasons, but yeah, Calvary has been the better of the two thus far. Both had cute endings this week, (the actual confession/ "couple" scene was pretty damn good) which again is why these two shows are waaay too much alike, lol.

Same here, they scratch different itches.
I prefer Asterisks world building, but Cavalrys battle scenes are really great and the relationship part is actually going somewhere.

DiGiKerot

Hmm I didn't know about any new updates on the storyboard status. But yeah, I've heard of the huge hurdles they have.

Edit: Hmm this Otakon transcript didn't really mention storyboards but what do I know, I wasn't there lol

I was - bayob does an insane job of managing to cover these things, baring in mind he types them out in real-time as the panel is ongoing (video and audio recordings of panel sessions are often a major no-no with Japanese guests), but inevitably some things end up getting paraphrased or shortened in favour of getting the important general gist of what is said across.

Same here, they scratch different itches.
I prefer Asterisks world building, but Cavalrys battle scenes are really great and the relationship part is actually going somewhere.

Cavalry's battle scene is just MC running so fast then enemy keep throw flashbang grenade and done, fucking kill my eyes.
Not saying Asterisk is better anyway.

Unless they specifically say "I love you" or something along those lines, there is no relationship in anime lmfao. I'm just saying, I'm 99% sure the Asterisk MC in his own head didn't confess or anything of the sort. He just for some reason thinks that his life goal is to protect her, since well, he was pretty aimless up until that point.

Ascheroth

Cavalry's battle scene is just MC running so fast then enemy keep throw flashbang grenade and done, fucking kill my eyes.

Sure, the content of the battle scenes are nothing special, but the presentation is really good.
The cuts and especially the use of the camera give it this three-dimensional feel and sense of speed. And the soundtrack is really good and they know how to use it.

Cornbread78

Unless they specifically say "I love you" or something along those lines, there is no relationship in anime lmfao. I'm just saying, I'm 99% sure the Asterisk MC in his own head didn't confess or anything of the sort. He just for some reason thinks that his life goal is to protect her, since well, he was pretty aimless up until that point.

C'mon dude, we had a double confession in Calvary this week, that's more than we could ever ask for from one of these shows. They only choose to become partners in Asterix, and yeah, she too tsun tsun for a full confession, lol.

Even then, it's better than cutting down 100+ previously unbeatable robots while holding the damsel in distress in your arms, because it's 2ez lmfao. I mean I laughed out loud. So far this season the only show to do that is OPM and that's intended at least.

C'mon dude, we had a double confession in Calvary this week, that's more than we could ever ask for from one of these shows. They only choose to become partners in Asterix, and yeah, she too tsun tsun for a full confession, lol.

Oh no I'm not complaining I was actually pretty surprised that it happened so soon, that was pretty great. I'm just saying Asterisk still has no relationship set in stone. The show is a 2-cour, so the full blown confession is only probably gonna happen in 2016 aha.

Ace of the Diamond Second Season Episode 30 – The Kings' Roar
CSQDtnkWcAAwWph.png

Its hard being a Kawakami fan, permanent sadness and struggles. But I have faith he will improve someday and be very vital for Seido's performance.

I wonder how the Yakushi Ichidai game plays out I want Yakushi just so we get more Seido Raichi which would be fun. But then it would be their third time playing them and that could be too repetitive for a writer. But then I want to see Yakushi growth.

I also want Coach Kataoka to stay with Seido, why watch from the sidelines when you can watch from the frontlines, Boss!

Final 30 seconds was the most pumped up thing ever. More roaring please.

Cornbread78

Oh no I'm not complaining I was actually pretty surprised that it happened so soon, that was pretty great. I'm just saying Asterisk still has no relationship set in stone. The show is a 2-cour, so the full blown confession is only probably gonna happen in 2016 aha.

So Asterix is 2 cour and Calvary is only 1? That would make sense of the pacing then.. Are both complete LN, or still ongoing? Just wondering if we will get the standard "You want an ending? Well, fu(k you, go buy the books.."

Oh hey it's that male character from that other anime.

Seriously, can't character designers come up with some unique male character designs for once. Yes, I get they are blank canvas self insert nobodies, but seriously, it's drab and lazy.

Araki manages to fill his male dominated JoJo series with all sorts of unique male designs.

For an anime in the same setting, I think the male chara of Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! PV is less appealing than Bell.

Even then, it's better than cutting down 100+ previously unbeatable robots while holding the damsel in distress in your arms, because it's 2ez lmfao. I mean I laughed out loud. So far this season the only show to do that is OPM and that's intended at least.
As I watched that I was reminded of the classic *teleports behind you* meme. I mean they were trying to hard to make him seem cool and make Juris wet.

Cornbread78

Emma: A Victorian Romance ep. 1-3
The tone of this anime is really hard to describe so far. It melow in toneand really slowly paced, with some good music in the background. With that being said, something feels weird about it, almost out of place. Maybe that is the pacign of teh first three episodes and the events so far. I mean, Hakim from India coming from India on elephants and falling for the same girl? C'Mon something is off here since he already has a harem of his own. You can definately see where there will be issues down the road because of the classic Caste system between societies. This should be interesting...

phaze

Gintama 5-6

These were pretty painful to go through. At my current pace, I'll manage to get to the mythical ep 25 in just 19 months !

Sasameki Koto [1-13 - Complete]

Well would you look at this, Girl Love RomCom that actually delivers, apart from ending prematurely. Above average writing and really good direction, even though the director Eiji Suganuma doesn't have any other work I know about or highly rated at least.

There were also easily my favorite bits of Engrish yet in there.

(3.7MB webm warning) proof

7/10 - gonna read the manga.

Wasn't that what ep 25 is about ? With hot pots or something ?

yeah. 25 or so. So you have 20 or so episodes to go haha.

I know it's hard but it's worth it. One can't think of it as "I basically have to watch 2-cour mediocre to ok comedy season before getting to the good part' but think of it as ' I gotta watch less than 1/10th of bad show to get to the good part'

phaze

yeah. 25 or so. So you have 20 or so episodes to go haha.

I know it's hard but it's worth it. One can't think of it as "I basically have to watch 2-cour mediocre to ok comedy season before getting to the good part' but think of it as ' I gotta watch less than 1/10th of bad show to get to the good part'

That doesn't help lol, nowadays having to watch anything longer than 26 eps fills me with dread. No clue how I managed to marathon like 650 episodes of Naruto and Bleach back in the day.

Non Non Biyori 01
012220repdh.jpg

Shocking Truth !

I watched an episode of moe SoL show and I lik ... and I didn't turn it off ! Clearly I'm progressing both as an anime connoisseur and as a human being.

That doesn't help lol, nowadays having to watch anything longer than 26 eps fills me with dread. No clue how I managed to marathon like 650 episodes of Naruto and Bleach back in the day.

I mean don't think about it like "here's a show I HAVE to watch" and more one that you get to watch.

Unlike Naruto and Bleach this focuses on the funny 95% of the time so the arc are shorter if there's one at all.

Find points you could watch a show with and watch an episode that day. Keep it to one a day or something. Having dinner/lunch or something. That's how I watched Gintama back in college.

Osumatsu-san 04

Yeah, this is certainly a few steps below Gintama when it comes to comedy. Show looks great and the visual comedy is also good, but it doesn't have the same hooks Gintama does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom