• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I'm just throwing $hit against the wall here (I need to get some of this work done) hopefully something will stick. Kids on the Slope does not seem to be a popular pick. Mirai Nikki might still be better with it's dub and all, but the shock value...

You guys tell me what you think will work from teh below, think group watch and what will give good convo.

(other than Mirai Niki and Kyousougiga)

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Wondering Son (imagine the convo..)
- One Week Friends
- Hayate the Combat Butler
- Rozen Maiden

Oh hey, BGBW changed the OP, didn't notice that until now.

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- One Week Friends
- Rozen Maiden

Man, that One Week Friends show looks pretty interesting. Is it actually any good?

I'm just throwing $hit against the wall here (I need to get some of this work done) hopefully something will stick. Kids on the Slope does not seem to be a popular pick. Mirai Nikki might still be better with it's dub and all, but the shock value...

You guys tell me what you think will work from teh below, think group watch and what will give good convo.

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- One Week Friends
- Rozen Maiden

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Wandering Son, and Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen (skip the original) would be good choices. All excellent shows. Hayate is way too long.

DEATH™

Non Non Biyori 02

I know this is said outright and used for comedic purposes but this age thing still bothers me. There's just no way Hotarou isn't older than the rest of those chibis.

That's what the city water does to your body...

Remember guys, water treatment only takes away things that could kill you. So whatever pharmaceuticals, drug-makers, and people with expired medicine dump on your river/sewage, it will go to your drinking water, much more so if its city water. Its scary that those things make jailbaits out of 12 year olds.

You guys tell me what you think will work from below, think group watch and what will give good convo.

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- One Week Friends
- Rozen Maiden

I haven't seen any of these but of the shows you've mentioned, Wondering Son seems like the show that would have the most interesting concept. I wouldn't be able to watch it if you did it right after BoT since I don't really have time to watch anime ATM.

Joe Molotov

My friend is about to unload his early-late Aughts anime collection on me. I have a vague idea of what's in it, but I haven't seen it in a few years and neither has he. He told me needs to get it out of garage and wants $100 for it to help pay for an Xbox One. It's ~500 DVDs and two boxes full of figurines and artbooks he said.

Cornbread78

So from the responses so far, we are down to

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Mirai Nikki
- Kyousougigi
- Rozen Maiden

Any further decutions here?

Noirulus

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- One Week Friends
- Rozen Maiden

From what I know of Wondering Son, it doesn't really seem like the type of show you would watch with a group. That's something that I would personally rather enjoy alone. Same with Dusk Maiden.

Dunno about those other shows, Rozen Maiden isn't really fuel for convo but Hayate might be good for some laughs, tho I haven't seen the anime the manga is funny as hell.

edit: wait a second this isn't for some anime club of yours?

sonicmj1

Wandering Son and Kyousougiga are both great and worth watching.

Ano Hana and Dusk Maiden are both about ghosts if you want some Halloween theming.

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Mirai Nikki
- Kyousougigi

Why did you take out Rozen Maiden?

Strike the Blood is a LN battle harem with a good amount of fanservice, probably not the right show for this.

pbayne

I've got a free moment at work so here's a short semi-random list of some things I love that are 13 episodes or less:

Bartender
Tatami Galaxy
Detroit Metal City
Mononoke
Tsuritama
Flowers of Evil
Hi no Tori
Now and Then, Here and There

I think at least half of them are not available on CR (or similar), though, unfortunately... Also probably at least half of them are pretty well known. Or maybe I just think they should be.

Holy shit watching peoples reactions to DMC would be hilarious.

Defuser

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Mirai Nikki
- Kyousougigi

Wandering Son and Kyousogiga are the only ones on the list would be a good watch. The rest are not appropriate if you want to bring exposure on the OT side.

Firemind

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Mirai Nikki
- Kyousougigi

Go watch Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit instead of that crap above.

JulianImp

Wandering Son and Kyousogiga are the only ones on the list would be a good watch. The rest are not appropriate if you want to bring exposure on the OT side.

I don't know how much we should actually care about going mainstream, compared to just enjoying shows even though they might (Jinrui) or might not (Kamisama ga nai) be all that good in the end.

While I liked what I've watched of Bartender so far, I don't think it's a show that works all that well for watching as a group. The reason I proposed Another despite not liking what it ended up becoming is that it works fairly well for a group watch because of the way the story is laid out. I'd say that stories that have some kind of mystery at their core are best for group watches, while SoL stuff tends to be less fun (unless it's Jinrui levels of crazy, I guess).

I'd nominate Higurashi if only I knew where we could watch it, since that'd definitely stir up some nice debates... Umineko would too, only it was a much sloppier adaptation and only got to the halfway point in the story, so solving the mystery would be really hard for first-time watchers (but not impossible, I guess).

Line_HTX

- Strike the Blood
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Mirai Nikki
- Kyousougigi

Scratch Strike the Blood off the list, maybe Future Diary since I think it's popular enough to not fit your criteria.

I don't know about Dusk Maiden.

Cornbread78

Why is this debate even continuing? I gave the final answer above.

Umm, yea, everyone will love it... really..
KhiwHft.gif

just look at those faces..

Cornbread78

So after further deductions, we are now left with the below:

- Mirai Nikki
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Rozen Maiden
- Kyousougigi

Ascheroth

So after further deductions, we are now left with the below:

- Mirai Nikki
- Anohana
- Pandora Hearts
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Rozen Maiden
- Kyousougigi

Sorry to increase your list instead, but something I just thought of:
I'd recommend Binbougami ga! (or Good Luck Girl). It's 13 episodes, on funi and absolutely hilarious and ridiculous. (I'm a bit cautious with this since it's been a while, but from what I remember maybe even Gintama-level hilarious).

JulianImp

Someone didn't watch Samurai Flamenco.

Ah, Samumenco... the only good thing that came out of it was Krauss oji-san getting cast as a competent character rather than being the show's butt monkey.

As for Symphogear, I'd say no. It's a show that tires to be dark but everything goes well in the end. It's like the writers were afraid of actually doing anything but threaten the audience with bad things happening to the characters. Somebody gets impaled repeatedly? Back to working in an episode or two. Sacrificial attack? Nope, just hospitalized for a while.
Severed body parts
? No worries!

Ascheroth

At this point it's basically impossible to replicate the authentic Samurai Flamenco Experience™. Even the Let's Watch failed to capture it.
I'm sorry for you guys who missed out on watching this when it aired...

Cornbread78

I fogot who's rec, Sunday without God was. Maybe a witch hunt is in order.... I do remember someone saying it was the "Dark Souls" of anime...

Either way, we need t decide by Thursday, so I have time to work on the thread over the weekend, while the Spooky Let's Watch is going on. Two threads in a couple days takes some time considering I'm trying to get realy work done at the sae time, lol.

JulianImp

At this point it's basically impossible to replicate the authentic Samurai Flamenco Experience™. Even the Let's Watch failed to capture it.
I'm sorry for you guys who missed out on watching this when it aired...

It still didn't manage to be a good kind of surprise. The premise of a random guy that didn't know any better wanting to act like a vigilante while his cop friend tried his best to reign him in was okay, but then things escalated more and more... and suddenly, guilliotine gorilla. I wasn't looking forward to watching more episodes because I knew they were going to keep one-upping themselves with more and more generic sentai tropes. The finale was okay-ish though, as it dropped the flamenco everything and got back to fleshing out Goto (Masayoshi was a joke to me at that point, anyway).

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I fogot who's rec, Sunday without God was. Maybe a witch hunt is in order.... I do remember someone saying it was the "Dark Souls" of anime...

Either way, we need t decide by Thursday, so I have time to work on the thread over the weekend, while the Spooky Let's Watch is going on. Two threads in a couple days takes some time considering I'm trying to get realy work done at the sae time, lol.
It was me you know.
tumblr_inline_n4s5a8bXC31r0j6cl.png

I regret nothing.

Russ T

Banned
It still didn't manage to be a good kind of surprise. The premise of a random guy that didn't know any better wanting to act like a vigilante while his cop friend tried his best to reign him in was okay, but then things escalated more and more... and suddenly, guilliotine gorilla. I wasn't looking forward to watching more episodes because I knew they were going to keep one-upping themselves with more and more generic sentai tropes. The finale was okay-ish though, as it dropped the flamenco everything and got back to fleshing out Goto (Masayoshi was a joke to me at that point, anyway).

I wish you weren't so wrong because you're usually so right. ;_;

Ascheroth

I will forever remember Guillotine Gorilla, simply because he was a delayed double mindblow.
When he appeared completely out of left field I was like WTF is happening!? and convinced myself it had to be a dream, because absolutely no way this was real.
And I kept watching the episode, and another episode and it slowly dawned on me. No one was waking up. This was no dream. This was really happening. And my mind was blown again.

phaze

It's been a good while since I've watched an anime, but today I had the urge to watch a good series from beginning to end. I've grown bored of playing Destiny, and I've got a week break from school and need something to keep my mind occupied.

I remember a couple years ago everybody here was raving about Fate Zero back when it aired. It was really hype I think, don't really remember exactly and didn't care at the time because although I really loved the concept I never was a big fan of the Fate series (Shirou is as much a Gary Stu as Kirito). I trust you folks though, so dis better b gud

Fate Zero S1 - 01

Kariya my man, I like your attitude. But you are so not winning this shit, the main guy's plot armor is gonna be way 2strong4u. Saber vs whatever weak shit you got. Why do the cool guys never win?

WHAT THE FUCK SAKURA HAD TO THROUGH THAT SHIT AS A CHILD?!

Why the bloody bug rape anyway? If the plan is to get a successor that's going to kill it in the next holy grail war, why not just engage Sakura to someone inside the family? Why does she have to go through that hell as a child? I have a new found respect for Sakura as I remember her being a boring ass character in FSN...

Not bad for a first episode, although the side characters don't seem terribly interesting.

Kariya is the purest of angels. Good choice.

Tokyo Ghoul Jack

Better than Root A, still bad. Well, the source material itself was supremely subpar so it's quality is not on Pierrot at least.. But I'm fairly sure they still rushed the material they were given and as far as I could tell, they made the "twist" very transparent, just like they did it with the One Eyed Owl in Root A. Direction was poor, OST was bad but at least it looked fairly decent. Kagunes were back to their S1 look and there were some well animated scenes. That's about it really, can't wait for S3 !

Cornbread78

It was me you know.
I regret nothing.

LOL. I didn't hate it as much as the others, but.. They had a really good premise going but went completely off the rails with the story and made it into something that was,,,, ummm. and that ship at the end, WTF was that...Otaku...?

A self-avatar quote would've sufficed.

NCR Redslayer
The Sunday Without God was my fault
(Today, 03:25 PM)

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
LOL. I didn't hate it as much as the others, but.. They had a really good premise going but went completely off the rails with the story and made it into something that was,,,, ummm. and that ship at the end, WTF was that...Otaku...?
It seemed a lot better in my head. But its based of a LN so eh.

Ascheroth

You all make me want to finish it. I remember watching 5 or 6 episodes and then suddenly stopping for no reason like it usually happens with half the shows I watch while they air but I liked what I saw.
It really makes me curious what the hell happens during the remaining half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom