• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect Blue

Well that threw me for a loop. Gotta think about the story some more and gather my thoughts. Certainly one damn clever film though and god damn if Satoshi Kon isn't a master of transitions, be it single shots or scenes. Have only seen this movie and Millennium Actress from him and in both those works he made those transitions part of the core cinematography and narrative. There's so much of them it could easily feel gimmicky in other films, but of course they're a perfect fit here.

Gotta say, I wonder if I can sleep well after watching this. Brain's full and Perfect Blue had a darn scary atmosphere, too. Time to have my own existential crisis! Good night.

Squishy3

Perfect Blue

Well that threw me for a loop. Gotta think about the story some more and gather my thoughts. Certainly one damn clever film though and god damn if Satoshi Kon isn't a master of transitions, be it single shots or scenes. Have only seen this movie and Millennium Actress from him and in both those works he made those transitions part of the core cinematography and narrative. There's so much of them it could easily feel gimmicky in other films, but of course they're a perfect fit here.

Gotta say, I wonder if I can sleep well after watching this. Brain's full and Perfect Blue had a darn scary atmosphere, too. Time to have my own existential crisis! Good night.
I recommend watching this, if you haven't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE&ab_channel=EveryFrameaPainting

Although it has stuff from movies of his you haven't seen yet, so I'd recommend watching those. Toyko Godfathers and Paprika in particular.

Mature

:|

I refuse to add a /s to that post. I mean maybe you take me for a bigger idiot than I'd hope but that sarcasm should be more than apparent.
It's not you, it's the thread you're in. Lotta shallow people who dismiss otherwise great things for petty and frivolous reasons.

Perfect Blue

Tokyo Godfathers is excellent too, definitely give it a watch!

Line_HTX

Haikyuu!! S1 + S2 01-04

Caught up with this anime. This is really good. It is always a joy to watch the matches. The animation is so fluid and well done making the matches really intense.

The cast of characters have really good chemistry resulting in character development and humorous moments.

Overall, I prefer Yowamushi Pedal because is more hot-blooded and it has Midousuji. Haikyuu lacks dat evil and despicable character so far.

Haikyuu looks good, but I dislike it. I prefer Kuroko because it's more fun with their shook faces. Kuroko and Eyeshield 21 are the best.

Phatmac

Haikyuu looks good, but I dislike it. I prefer Kuroko because it's more fun with their shook faces. Kuroko and Eyeshield 21 are the best.
The meal scene after their loss was pretty devastating to me. It's not on Kuroko's level but it's still pretty good.

I'm ill informed in this area, but I believe the male voice cast is very popular (which is the case with most popular fujoshi shows?)

They got lots of peoples favorites.
CSTEbN-UwAAGPb1.png

Wow, so that's it? That's the end, just like that? Do they not have a system in place for rehab?

I believe they do but it's not where it should be and is heavily frowned upon, I've read a few articles saying such.

In any case its popular for celebs here to bounce back from drug scandals, like Robert Downey Jr. Not really possible there, I think.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
i am not making a gif or webm because i am lazy but what is this nightmare?
this image is made up of five key layers.

araragi is moving forward and bobs up and down as though he is walking into the camera.
first background layer is scrolling to the left for no reason. the red arrow represents this.
behind it is a small rise of a more distant hill populated with trees. the purple arrow tries to represent that this layer scrolls in the opposite direction at a fairly rapid pace.
behind that is another layer that exists solely of tall trees that take a completely black outline. light blue arrows represent their scroll to the left, the same direction as the first background layer but the opposite of the hill between.
in the very back a static brush conceals the immediately horizon to serve as the background with the sky.

a busy mess of an image that flashes back and forth to a separate view of a different character walking against a background operating on the same strange visual principles. i feel fortunate to have survived.

Main cast is 6 boys and the first episode was a bait and switch where they were all bishie mode, are you surprised?

Sure, but that was just 1 episode. Most of the time, they look like low detailed 60s characters in high res.

I'm ill informed in this area, but I believe the male voice cast is very popular (which is the case with most popular fujoshi shows?)

I guess that could be a factor, but still...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did that sequence make you dizzy, dimb?
More annoyed than anything. There is some legitimately good storyboard work on the episode but other parts (that could be decisions from other points of production?) are just super obnoxious and lack coherency.

The first four and a half minutes keep pushing simplistic background elements to move at intense speeds. And then? It immediately stops as Owarimonogatari shifts to static photograph backgrounds with limited filter work.
This lasts for less than a minute. Why? I read impressions about this show and nobody really comments on these things. Do they not notice? Do they not care? Are these artistic elements so trivial that they don't merit mention?

The bulk of the episode is a confrontation between Hanekawa and Ougi. Some of the background work is super low quality, to the point where I initially brushed it off as more lousy work by Shaft, but at least the theming serves some purpose and imitates a nearby stoplight. Unassuming scenery takes on a wholly yellow tinge as danger begins to rear its head before the confrontation itself takes place; the backdrop shot red as factory silhouettes sinisterly spit soot.
There are clearly cool concepts for background work in the show but only like half of them make it in complete, and they only operate at the most basic level. Why does nobody talk about or mention these things? There are a ton of additional background elements related to Araragi being inanimate as he's pushed down a path, positional relationships on screen between Hanekawa and Araragi based on one falling behind the other with knowledge about the current predicament, and a bunch of other stuff. Most of these flounder in execution but seem worth noting. Instead of posts detecting or mentioning these kinds of things all I get are lame blog updates revolving around even the smallest snippet of sexual content. Please produce more thought-provoking posts anime thread.

Cornbread78

More annoyed than anything. There is some legitimately good storyboard work on the episode but other parts (that could be decisions from other points of production?) are just super obnoxious and lack coherency.
There are clearly cool concepts for background work in the show but only like half of them make it in complete, and they only operate at the most basic level. Why does nobody talk about or mention these things? There are a ton of additional background elements related to Araragi being inanimate as he's pushed down a path, positional relationships on screen between Hanekawa and Araragi based on one falling behind the other with knowledge about the current predicament, and a bunch of other stuff. Most of these flounder in execution but seem worth noting. Instead of posts detecting or mentioning these kinds of things all I get are lame blog updates revolving around even the smallest snippet of sexual content. Please produce more thought-provoking posts anime thread.

Lol, I guess I just take when I'm presented with and accept it as artistic direction and decision. While there are definately deeper meanings behind the background of the scenes or even the constantly changing stoplights appearing on screen, with monogatari shows, I am usually too busy just trying to keep up with the conversation than find thise deeper hints. I leave the deep dive fact finding to posts like yours and Jarmel to find for me. I guess I'm too much of a simpleton when it comes to this stuff.

Yeah Owari ep 4 did have some odd background work and it does bother me but it's not what makes or breaks the episode for me when it comes to Monogatari. The filtered backgrounds are pretty terrible, though.

I think it takes a little time to develop an eye for some of this stuff.

Yeah this too, I'm still pretty bad at it unless it's supremely obvious. I also legitimately have trouble discerning 30 fps from 60 fps and picking up screen tearing. I dunno why.

Narag

Lol, I guess I just take when I'm presented with and accept it as artistic direction and decision. While there are definately deeper meanings behind the background of the scenes or even the constantly changing stoplights appearing on screen, with monogatari shows, I am usually too busy just trying to keep up with the conversation than find thise deeper hints. I leave the deep dive fact finding to posts like yours and Jarmel to find for me. I guess I'm too much of a simpleton when it comes to this stuff.

I think it takes a little time to develop an eye for some of this stuff.

The first four and a half minutes keep pushing simplistic background elements to move at intense speeds. And then? It immediately stops as Owarimonogatari shifts to static photograph backgrounds with limited filter work.

This lasts for less than a minute. Why? I read impressions about this show and nobody really comments on these things. Do they not notice? Do they not care? Are these artistic elements so trivial that they don't merit mention?

The bulk of the episode is a confrontation between Hanekawa and Ougi. Some of the background work is super low quality, to the point where I initially brushed it off as more lousy work by Shaft, but at least the theming serves some purpose and imitates a nearby stoplight. Unassuming scenery takes on a wholly yellow tinge as danger begins to rear its head before the confrontation itself takes place; the backdrop shot red as factory silhouettes sinisterly spit soot.

Yeah I get where you come from, but at the end of the day this is just entertainment. Why should I be doing work on my off hours? I mean how could I ever have fun watching a show if all I cared about was backgrounds and whatnot? If I were to evaluate something at an artistic level, then sure but that's what painting galleries are for. When I watch a show, I am usually brain dead from school or work and resort to something that lets me tune all of it off. For 20 mins or so I just entertain myself watching cartoons. I then come on here mainly to talk about the plot of a show, not how many off frames it had. Just my 2 cents dimb.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Thought it was intentional, not that i'm trained on it. Most poster are probably more interested in talking about what kind of being Ougi is.

jman2050

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
i am not making a gif or webm because i am lazy but what is this nightmare?

this image is made up of five key layers.

araragi is moving forward and bobs up and down as though he is walking into the camera.
first background layer is scrolling to the left for no reason. the red arrow represents this.
behind it is a small rise of a more distant hill populated with trees. the purple arrow tries to represent that this layer scrolls in the opposite direction at a fairly rapid pace.
behind that is another layer that exists solely of tall trees that take a completely black outline. light blue arrows represent their scroll to the left, the same direction as the first background layer but the opposite of the hill between.
in the very back a static brush conceals the immediately horizon to serve as the background with the sky.

a busy mess of an image that flashes back and forth to a separate view of a different character walking against a background operating on the same strange visual principles. i feel fortunate to have survived.

Sounds like someone at Shaft really liked video game parallax scrolling.

Laziness will always triumph over hard work, because hard work is dumb.

...that's how that quote goes, right? Right?

Seriously though, a lot of things are certainly worth mentioning, and I don't really think the lack of discussion is because people don't notice. On the contrary, it's hard NOT to notice visual flourishes like that since their function is so obvious. I imagine it enhances the events directly happening on screen by giving additional information about character motivations and relationships but in a way that is evocative at that moment, rather than in a way that demands being pondered over after the fact. Or, to quote Plinkett, "you may not have noticed it, but your brain did."

Actually on second though it's probably just laziness

Noirulus

Fate Zero S1 - 04

Finally we got some action. Not sure why but I really want Saber to lose every interaction, lol. The other Servants are just so much cooler. Iskander barging in mid fight and introducing himself was epic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seriously though, a lot of things are certainly worth mentioning, and I don't really think the lack of discussion is because people don't notice. On the contrary, it's hard NOT to notice visual flourishes like that since their function is so obvious. I imagine it enhances the events directly happening on screen by giving additional information about character motivations and relationships but in a way that is evocative at that moment, rather than in a way that demands being pondered over after the fact. Or, to quote Plinkett, "you may not have noticed it, but your brain did."

Actually on second though it's probably just laziness
Monogatari is and always will be primarily about the writing. It's why it's the only anime series where you can sell in-character commentaries as a special feature, because it gets you basically another entire season of Monogatari to listen to.

I'm pretty much numb to shitty backgrounds in a Shaft production. Hell, compared to the days when it looked like they were making them in Office 97 it looks great!

JulianImp

Monogatari is and always will be primarily about the writing. It's why it's the only anime series where you can sell in-character commentaries as a special feature, because it gets you basically another entire season of Monogatari to listen to.

Wait... what? This. My veins. Quick.

Too bad CR never ever gets that kind of stuff (or OVAs, damn it)...

I haven't watched any of the Monogatari series, but I am curious.

What is the head tilt to non head tilt ratio for Owarimonogatari?

Where does it land so far in comparison to other seasons?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait... what? This. My veins. Quick.

Too bad CR never ever gets that kind of stuff (or OVAs, damn it)...
Aniplex themselves are too lazy to subtitle them. Only the very first Monogatari has the commentaries subtitled. Nisemono doesn't even include them, but I believe they added them back in (unsubbed) in subsequent sets.

It's why I boycotted every release, even though I would be a prime candidate to buy the series.

Also, it's like the white whale of anime subbing. At least several people have tried to sub the commentaries and everyone has failed. lol
I joke, but I'm at a point where I would be willing to do a bounty on them... but at this point, I don't even know what the anime subbing community is like anymore. They all work for CR or Funimation I assume.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
id buy all monogatari releases if they had subbed commentary
150 for the first season was a fucking ripoff, but I paid it because of the commentary.

They lowered the price of the subsequent sets, but without the commentary it's just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom