• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Aniplex themselves are too lazy to subtitle them. Only the very first Monogatari has the commentaries subtitled. Nisemono doesn't even include them, but I believe they added them back in (unsubbed) in subsequent sets.

It's why I boycotted every release, even though I would be a prime candidate to buy the series.

Also, it's like the white whale of anime subbing. At least several people have tried to sub the commentaries and everyone has failed. lol
I joke, but I'm at a point where I would be willing to do a bounty on them... but at this point, I don't even know what the anime subbing community is like anymore. They all work for CR or Funimation I assume.

I'd be willing to try my hand at TLing that, but I guess doing it without JP subs would be a pain because of how much the show likes its puns at times.

jonjonaug

I'm not watching Monogatari, but Shaft changes backgrounds around on their BD releases so often that I feel that it's moot at this point to complain about odd inconsistencies in their TV broadcasts since you're not really watching the "final" version of the product.

As someone who went out to see the Madoka movies in theaters: Even those had a bunch of changes from the original print to BD.

TUSR

Banned
150 for the first season was a fucking ripoff, but I paid it because of the commentary.

They lowered the price of the subsequent sets, but without the commentary it's just not worth it.

all 15 episodes and audio commentary

its still expensive, especially in CAD, but at least the commentary made it worthwhile.

Baalzebup

Fate Zero S1 - 04

Finally we got some action. Not sure why but I really want Saber to lose every interaction, lol. The other Servants are just so much cooler. Iskander barging in mid fight and introducing himself was epic.

Iskandar is easily the biggest bro in all of Fate-verse.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Thought it was intentional, not that i'm trained on it.
It is intentional.
A5FuLWZ.jpg

T74WHU1.jpg
I am not looking for a long post about it. It's not an issue of effort. I just find it kind of crazy that stuff like this can happen in episodes and it does not come up at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd be willing to try my hand at TLing that, but I guess doing it without JP subs would be a pain because of how much the show likes its puns at times.
I don't know if they did this for the other seasons, but a poster here bought the script books for the first season's commentaries to try to do it. Of course soon after Aniplex announced the details for the first set and that idea promptly died. And he also hates Monogatari so I don't think it'll happen. I even offered to buy him the script books for the other seasons, assuming they exist. lol

I'm not watching Monogatari, but Shaft changes backgrounds around on their BD releases so often that I feel that it's moot at this point to complain about odd inconsistencies in their TV broadcasts since you're not really watching the "final" version of the product.
As someone who went out to see the Madoka movies in theaters: Even those had a bunch of changes from the original print to BD.
Shaft is now infamous for changing their backgrounds over and over again, sometimes inexplicably.

all 15 episodes and audio commentary

its still expensive, especially in CAD, but at least the commentary made it worthwhile.
Sure, that's why I paid for it.

Nisemono is 100 bucks with no commentary, and I just don't feel like paying Aniplex tax for an inferior release.

A similar thing happened with the Yamato BDs, but it was production commentaries which I would have loved to have seen just to hear syfy geeks talk about rebooting the franchise, but the JP sets don't have them subbed and the Voyager released took them out completely (before going out of business lol).

You only need the commentaries with Hanekawa and Ougi. Wonderful how just plain ignored the episode itself and just did their banter thing for 20min.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You only need the commentaries with Hanekawa and Ougi. Wonderful how just plain ignored the episode itself and just did their banter thing for 20min.
Honestly most of the commentaries typically ignore the actual episode and are just... well, another episode of the show playing out in a metatextual context.

I know that OreImo apparently has these as well... but why would anyone want to spend any extra time with Kirino. lol

Concrete Revolutio Episode 4

Dammit, why do shows feel the need to throw in Engrish when it adds nothing to the show? Engrish in Jojo is fine, because it feels like it's part of the joke. Here, in a serious scene, it's weird.

Earth-chan? The laws of this world seem to openly contradict themselves at every point.

Huh, a debate over what's natural.

Abrupt ending is abrupt.

wonzo

Banned
Honestly most of the commentaries typically ignore the actual episode and are just... well, another episode of the show playing out in a metatextual context.

I know that OreImo apparently has these as well... but why would anyone want to spend any extra time with Kirino. lol
those oreimo commentary things basically bashed people over the head with how much a paedophile rapist kirino is for anyone too dumb to work it out

TUSR

Banned
I did it

I finished to love ru

Why is there a kid with a flower on it's head in the first episode of darkness

wtf

I recommend watching this, if you haven't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE&ab_channel=EveryFrameaPainting

Although it has stuff from movies of his you haven't seen yet, so I'd recommend watching those. Toyko Godfathers and Paprika in particular.

Yeh I've seen that EveryFrameaPainting video already, the guy does some damn nice educational videos.

And yup, I'll have to watch Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika some day. The two films I've seen from Kon are too good to pass on his other works!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You have a brother in arms named wonzo.
You mean DiGiKerot.

Personally I thought it was OK, fell off the wagon towards the end and lost sight of what it was trying to be. I'll give it this, the discography was better than the average idol show.

Zoo, however, is AotY.

DiGiKerot

You mean DiGiKerot.

Personally I thought it was OK, fell off the wagon towards the end and lost sight of what it was trying to be. I'll give it this, the discography was better than the average idol show.

Zoo, however, is AotY.

WUG-chan saikou and all that. They're obviously the main reason why I'm watching Hackadoll.

I do need to get around to watching the first of those new WUG movies, though I suppose I may well wait for my BD copy at this point.

TUSR

Banned
It is odd seeing Lala turn almost into a cameo given her role in the story. Almost into just a purveyer of gadgets that go horribly wrong and little else.
let me get this straight
yuki is somehow going to be the next deviluke King by marrying lala?

and momo wants to get all up in that?

Thoraxes

id buy all monogatari releases if they had subbed commentary

It feels so good though.

2015-10-2806.22.04s2stz.jpg

let me get this straight
yuki is somehow going to be the next deviluke King by marrying lala?

and momo wants to get all up in that?

Momo realizes the only way she can get all up in that is if Rito bound by Deviluke customs; he's a king and can have countless concubines, but must marry Lala as she's the eldest for rulership.

So if you can't have him to yourself, what's the next best option if you can't just steal him?

Become the proprietor of his harem, and join in the fun.

Cornbread78

Momo realizes the only way she can get all up in that is if Rito bound by Deviluke customs; he's a king and can have countless concubines, but must marry Lala as she's the eldest for rulership.
So if you can't have him to yourself, what's the next best option if you can't just steal him?
Become the proprietor of his harem, and join in the fun.

What is next to watch after the original TLR?

Thoraxes

What is next to watch after the original TLR?

For anime order:

- TLR Season 1
- TLR Season 1 OVAs
- Motto TLR
- TLR Darkness Season 1
- TLR Darkness Season 2

You can watch any of the Darkness OVAs whenever really; they're all mostly (if not all) side chapters and tons of fanservice.

It's a decent money maker for XEBEC, so whenever more of the manga gets written, it's pretty safe to assume they'll make another season of the anime. I'd expect more OVAs over the next couple years still too.

If they're adapting Gundam manga, how about the G Gundam sequel?

I think the better question is, if they're adapting Gundam manga set in the UC universe, how about a Gundam Crossbone adaptation?

Surely that should do better than some side story set during the One Year War. Because I imagine they're doing this because Gundam IBO isn't doing too well right now in Japan, and when things don't look good for Sunrise, they go back to the UC universe.

Narag

I didn't realize how much I missed GuP until right now.

I think the better question is, if they're adapting Gundam manga set in the UC universe, how about a Gundam Crossbone adaptation?

Surely that should do better than some side story set during the One Year War. Because I imagine they're doing this because Gundam IBO isn't doing too well right now in Japan, and when things don't look good for Sunrise, they go back to the UC universe.

That'd be remarkably reactionary four weeks in, wouldn't it? Also people have been claiming nothing is impossible lately but Crossbone remains this white whale that I've seen being asked for for years now.

dan2026

I tried watching G Gundam but I found the animation to be horrible.
And they re-used animation as well! It was the cheapest, crappiest thing I'd seen for a while.

Cornbread78

For anime order:

- TLR Season 1
- TLR Season 1 OVAs
- Motto TLR
- TLR Darkness Season 1
- TLR Darkness Season 2

You can watch any of the Darkness OVAs whenever really; they're all mostly (if not all) side chapters and tons of fanservice.

It's a decent money maker for XEBEC, so whenever more of the manga gets written, it's pretty safe to assume they'll make another season of the anime. I'd expect more OVAs over the next couple years still too.

I watched S1 months ago, but it got kinda boring towards the end with the useless episodic approach, but I hear it gets better in later se as on with an actual storyline continuation..

Thoraxes

I watched S1 months ago, but it got kinda boring towards the end with the useless episodic approach, but I hear it gets better in later se as on with an actual storyline continuation..

Darkness is pretty much a clean break from S1 + Motto storylines, with Momo/Yami taking the reins for all the fun+plot, and the whole Lala/Haruna stuff gets relatively sidelined in the process. So you could just start there if you want. Motto is only 12 episodes though, and was the jump to HD for the series.

Cornbread78

Darkness is pretty much a clean break from S1 + Motto storylines, with Momo/Yami taking the reins for all the fun+plot, and the whole Lala/Haruna stuff gets relatively sidelined in the process. So you could just start there if you want. Motto is only 12 episodes though, and was the jump to HD for the series.

Are the Specials and OVA's a good watch. There are about 20 of those combined, lol.

Full Metal Panic ep.13-15
Well, ep, 12 and 13 are straight SoL episodes with nothing happening in particular. Then 13 happens and that bastard is still alive! Hey, nobody listen the the mercenary fighter that has gone up against the bad guy before, just keep being punks and set yourselves up to die.... I guess that is their interpritation of US military soldiers, lol. Besides that, what was their reason in ep. 15 to keep panning back to check on Kaname walking back and forth on the beach alone? Was it to just ephasize her lonliness because Sousuke isn't there, or her nerveousness becuase she knows he is on a dangerous mission? The same with the ambulance scene at the end, is that symbolism for her feelign that he may be hurt? That really stuck out when watching that episode...

That'd be remarkably reactionary four weeks in, wouldn't it? Also people have been claiming nothing is impossible lately but Crossbone remains this white whale that I've seen being asked for for years now.

Perhaps, I guess on second thought they'd save Crossbone for a huge announcement considering how many people have asked for it.

Still though, if Gundam IBO ends up doing poorly in the long run I wouldn't be surprised at all if they decide to do Crossbone next.

I tried watching G Gundam but I found the animation to be horrible.
And they re-used animation as well! It was the cheapest, crappiest thing I'd seen for a while.

I won't lie and say that G Gundam's animation is the best, but everything else about it is so good that it makes up for it for me.

Full Metal Panic ep.13-15
Well, ep, 12 and 13 are straight SoL episodes with nothing happening in particular. Then 13 happens and that bastard is still alive! Hey, nobody listen the the mercenary fighter that has gone up against the bad guy before, just keep being punks and set yourselves up to die.... I guess that is their interpritation of US military soldiers, lol. Besides that, what was their reason in ep. 15 to keep panning back to check on Kaname walking back and forth on the beach alone? Was it to just ephasize her lonliness because Sousuke isn't there, or her nerveousness becuase she knows he is on a dangerous mission? The same with the ambulance scene at the end, is that symbolism for her feelign that he may be hurt? That really stuck out when watching that episode...

I think it was more to emphasize how unaware she was of just how rough Sousuke has it on the battlefield.

JulianImp

Yeah, TLR Darkness has far more plot (and "plot") than the original. At least it manages to have an actual storyline rather than just being a generic episodic ecchi harem series, since most of the cast is a one-trick pony, and Momo's plan to make every single girl out there fall for Rito leads to what you could call character development... even if it mostly amounts to them falling in love with him, or at least not wanting him dead.

Still, you'd better prepare for having 90% of your screen taken up by Swords of Concealing Light, because Darkness is lewd.

Have we got any New York folks here? I'm gonna be flying there for the first time tomorrow, until Sunday, I'm gonna be seeing the usual landmarks but I'd be open to any other recommendations aha.

Needless to say I may not be able to watch the weekly stuff, so I may be away until the end of the week

Cornbread78

Have we got any New York folks here? I'm gonna be flying there for the first time tomorrow, until Sunday, I'm gonna be seeing the usual landmarks but I'd be open to any other recommendations aha.

Needless to say I may not be able to watch the weekly stuff, so I may be away until the end of the week

I go down to NYC a couple times a year for work. Are you going alone or with a GF/Wife? That makes a big difference, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom