• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Yeah, TLR Darkness has far more plot (and "plot") than the original. At least it manages to have an actual storyline rather than just being a generic episodic ecchi harem series, since most of the cast is a one-trick pony, and Momo's plan to make every single girl out there fall for Rito leads to what you could call character development... even if it mostly amounts to them falling in love with him, or at least not wanting him dead.

Still, you'd better prepare for having 90% of your screen taken up by Swords of Concealing Light, because Darkness is lewd.

are the swords of concealing light in the BD release?

asking for a friend

Heh I don't even watch idol stuff but this is cool. They nailed those spots. Central Park is on our list of places to visit ^

I go down to NYC a couple times a year for work. Are you going alone or with a GF/Wife? That makes a big difference, lol.

Nah it's just me and my cousin, it's a birthday thing aha. We've never been there and we live nearby so to speak, even though we are in Toronto, Canada. Since it is study week (and really who studies during that time?!) we figured we'd go down there and just check the landmarks out and whatnot.

Qurupeke

Gintamaz 2.. latest episode

This was soooo good. I thought it would be hard to top the first part, but Katsura's typical behavior and his fight with Z were amazing. I also loved the conclusion, typical Zura.

Defuser

I don't know how much we should actually care about going mainstream, compared to just enjoying shows even though they might (Jinrui) or might not (Kamisama ga nai) be all that good in the end.

I did suggest against Sunday without god but Cornbread still decided to go with it lol.

Cornbread78

asking for a friend

ah huh.. for a "friend" right...

Nah it's just me and my cousin, it's a birthday thing aha. We've never been there and we live nearby so to speak, even though we are in Toronto, Canada. Since it is study week (and really who studies during that time?!) we figured we'd go down there and just check the landmarks out and whatnot.

Bring lots of cabbie money, lol.

There are a ton of spots between Times square down to Penn Station. (where I spend most of my time, lol)

If you have some extra cash and want to see some really fine woman, check this place out.

www.ricksnewyorkcity.com

bring money though... I mean, there is a small cover charge to watch the scenes, but bringing some money is well worth it, lol.

There are a ton of great sports bars down there as well like Stout, but you can just stop by the Hard Rock Cafe' and Planet Hollywood (or McDonald's, lol) in Times Square. Buddy from Cake Boss also opened a new shop down there as well, so make sure you stop by and get some canoles...

My trip down there got moved back until Dec.

Bring lots of cabbie money, lol.

There are a ton of spots between Times square down to Penn Station. (where I spend most of my time, lol)

If you have some extra cash and want to see some really fine woman, check this place out.

www.ricksnewyorkcity.com

bring money though... I mean, there is a small cover charge to watch the scenes, but bringing some money is well worth it, lol.

There are a ton of great sports bars down there as well like Stout, but you can just stop by the Hard Rock Cafe' and Planet Hollywood (or McDonald's, lol) in Times Square. Buddy from Cake Boss also opened a new shop down there as well, so make sure you stop by and get some canoles...

My trip down there got moved back until Dec.
Good recs thanks, yeah we made sure to get ourselves tons of change.

Now idk about going to Ricks since my cousin is a girl LOL.
Maybe I'll just sneak out of my room in the middle of the night... SHE WON'T KNOW A THING MUAHAHA!
Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood and that cake shop are good spots to visit, jotted those down on our list.

We got lucky, weather seems to be really good there this week. In Toronto it's getting chilly already, but NY is in the 20s still so that's gonna be great for walking around the city.

Gintama 294-295

Pretty decent arc, I love the new guy though. Did I miss something, how did he tell them about the shit Okita and Kondo did when he can't speak? How did Odd Jobs know

I did it

I finished to love ru

Why is there a kid with a flower on it's head in the first episode of darkness

wtf

who da fuck are momo and nana

where is lala

Momo becomes the main girl in Darkness. Near the end of TLR's run Yabuki (the artist) found out his wife was sleeping around and was a general all around shitty person who demanded cash for custody of their daughter and that's why TLR ended in such a rush. Now Haruna was based on his wife so she got sidelined hard. Lala did too, forget why. He also double (more like triple) downed on ecchi. That's how Darkness happened. I assume the author just went along with it.

Also read the fuckin manga

JulianImp

asking for a friend

Tell your friend he should ask the almighty Google, but I guess that'd be the case since BD releases aren't bound by broadcasting companies' regulations. If I had to buy a BD I'd rather get something more worth my money such as Monogatari in-character commentaries rather than just uncensored TLR fanservice, but maybe that's just me.

DiGiKerot

Have we got any New York folks here? I'm gonna be flying there for the first time tomorrow, until Sunday, I'm gonna be seeing the usual landmarks but I'd be open to any other recommendations aha.

Needless to say I may not be able to watch the weekly stuff, so I may be away until the end of the week

Go to Kinokuniya and thumb through all the artbooks so you can decide what's worth ordering for cheaper off Amazon. Also I guess Bookoff if you have any interest in sifting through old-ass anime OSTs and second-hand waifu toys.

Go to Kinokuniya and thumb through all the artbooks so you can decide what's worth ordering for cheaper off Amazon. Also I guess Bookoff if you have any interest in sifting through old-ass anime OSTs and second-hand waifu toys.

Exactly what I was looking for!! I was considering ordering the Shin Megami Tensei IV from amazon today, this post couldn't have come at a better time!! Many thanks!!!

Sakurako-san 04

So this the first part of what seems to be a longer case. I think it's pretty clear now that this show focuses on smaller scale cases such as this man's obsession with a curse and his family member's premature death. We ended on a cliffhanger, but by the looks of it Sakurako seems to have the whole thing figured out. Can't say where this is going to lead at all, so I'm looking forward to watching next week's episode.

Cornbread78

Full Metal Panic ep. 16-18:
I highly dislike Gauron, he's such a cocky douche and I'm glad he keeps getting blasted, but he is like a cockroach that just won't die.... It's a shame Sousuke is so emotionless and clueless about everything, I mean his lack of personality drives Kaname crazy as well as myself and he has no clue on anything outside of his "duty" You know it's his "backstory" but still.... I thought there was more of a structured relationship between the two in this, but maybe is doesn't really develope until season 2? The closest thing we have is that closing scene in Ep. 17, but what was the context for that 3 second scene? When they sit down in the hallway together? I realize he is upset and it just returning, but what was that scene? They tacked it on at teh end and it just felt weird.

Oh well, it looks like crap is really going to go down soon with some possible heavy losses on board the ship since it looks like that piece of garbage knows some secrets.....

Gintama 294-295

Pretty decent arc, I love the new guy though. Did I miss something, how did he tell them about the shit Okita and Kondo did when he can't speak? How did Odd Jobs know

Momo becomes the main girl in Darkness. Near the end of TLR's run Yabuki (the artist) found out his wife was sleeping around and was a general all around shitty person who demanded cash for custody of their daughter and that's why TLR ended in such a rush. Now Haruna was based on his wife so she got sidelined hard. Lala did too, forget why. He also double (more like triple) downed on ecchi. That's how Darkness happened. I assume the author just went along with it.

Also read the fuckin manga
Writing?

pbayne

I highly dislike Gauron, he's such a cocky douche and I'm glad he keeps getting blasted, but he is like a cockroach that just won't die.... It's a shame Sousuke is so emotionless and clueless about everything, I mean his lack of personality drives Kaname crazy as well as myself and he has no clue on anything outside of his "duty" You know it's his "backstory" but still.... I thought there was more of a structured relationship between the two in this, but maybe is doesn't really develope until season 2? The closest thing we have is that closing scene in Ep. 17, but what was the context for that 3 second scene? When they sit down in the hallway together? I realize he is upset and it just returning, but what was that scene? They tacked it on at teh end and it just felt weird.

Oh well, it looks like crap is really going to go down soon with some possible heavy losses on board the ship since it looks like that piece of garbage knows some secrets.....

He's the best

John Blade

The relationship between those two isn't what you expected in season 2. They is some development between them but depend on how you see it will be either positive or negative as I don't like the development of the main male character in season 2 if you read my impression of the show. Still, it's a good show and have potential but season 2 is a downer for me because of that odd turn of event with the main male character.

Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note Episode 4 – The Missing Bike Knows Part 4
CSbLnLGWoAA2gwG.png
CSbMLprWcAAKYzU.png

Great end to the case, everyone is perfect though it did feel like a Wakatake is the actiony lead while everyone else leads the intelligence support. I cant wait to see what else the Detective Team KZ does.

TimmiT

Gintama 294-295

They showed Gintoki reading from a notepad on which Afro had written down what he was supposed to say.

Ascheroth

AntimagicAcademy - 04

Somehow this adaption pisses me off.
There is an entertaining core beneath, but it's completely destroyed by shitty pacing.
The majority of the time I'm just like "Yeah cool, stuff is happening. What about it?"

The supposedly big emotional moments fall completely flat, too.
"Oh no, they are all dead and I was actually working with their killer all along! Cry! Cry!"
This doesn't really work when you introduce those dead persons in a barebones 10 second flashback 1 minute before the 'revelation'.
Then there is Takerus 'friend/rival' guy who got really hurt or nearly died or something. Cool, I don't care. The guy had like 30 seconds screen time. Same with the girl in his squad who was the sacrifice for this whole mess.

I may be prejudiced since I've read some of the source material, so I don't know what those watching it without prior knowledge think, but for me it's a huge let down.

Cornbread78

The relationship between those two isn't what you expected in season 2. They is some development between them but depend on how you see it will be either positive or negative as I don't like the development of the main male character in season 2 if you read my impression of the show. Still, it's a good show and have potential but season 2 is a downer for me because of that odd turn of event with the main male character.

If that is the case, why do so many list the show as a top "romantic" anime, when in reality, there is nothing. I guess that goes back to the definition of romance and why it is tagged on so many shows that have none at all...

pbayne

If that is the case, why do so many list the show as a top "romantic" anime, when in reality, there is nothing. I guess that goes back to the definition of romance and why it is tagged on so many shows that have none at all...

It has more romantic development than your average LN...but yeah I wouldn't call it a romance either.

AntimagicAcademy - 04

Somehow this adaption pisses me off.
There is an entertaining core beneath, but it's completely destroyed by shitty pacing.
The majority of the time I'm just like "Yeah cool, stuff is happening. What about it?"

The supposedly big emotional moments fall completely flat, too.
"Oh no, they are all dead and I was actually working with their killer all along! Cry! Cry!"
This doesn't really work when you introduce those dead persons in a barebones 10 second flashback 1 minute before the 'revelation'.
Then there is Takerus 'friend/rival' guy who got really hurt or nearly died or something. Cool, I don't care. The guy had like 30 seconds screen time. Same with the girl in his squad who was the sacrifice for this whole mess.

I may be prejudiced since I've read some of the source material, so I don't know what those watching it without prior knowledge think, but for me it's a huge let down.

The pacing really is completely ruinous. When I had heard they planned to adapt 9 volumes I kind of suspected this would happen, but going through half a book every episode doesn't work at all.

Because most straight up anime romances are utter shit anyways

FMP has plenty of romance, you just don't get to see its conclusion because they didn't adapt the novels that get to that.

Cornbread it's high time you watch KareKano already. It's THE show for a relationship that actually advances even though the show ends right in the middle of nowhere (production fell apart when the mangaka didn't want to continue the collaboration).

While it does end prematurely, it still features an actual growing relationship instead of merely the path to a confession.

Ascheroth

The pacing really is completely ruinous. When I had heard they planned to adapt 9 volumes I kind of suspected this would happen, but going through half a book every episode doesn't work at all.

Wait, they want to cover 9 volumes? o_O
It's already bad enough with 2 episodes for 1 volume. That would mean they'd had to cover 7 volumes in the remaining 8 episodes... I can't see that working out at all.

Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation- Episode 4 – The Cursed Man, Part 1
CSbXTSLW0AA2-lU.png

Love his hobby but they could have spent more time juicing.

I hope this case isnt that simple
some chemical in the painting

Patison

Higurashi 1-13

That's pretty cool. Artstyle sucked at first, but it fits nicely with what happens later and definitely adds to overall creepiness.

Perfect Insider 1-3

This may be my AOTY. Perfect pacing, amazing artstyle (dat "camera"work or whatever it's called in animation). Some people say it's kinda slow, but I'm at the edge of my seat for entire 20 minutes. Didn't read the novel and I hope there won't be any drop in quality.

Another S01

Final Destination: The Anime. Mindless fun with some irritating characters.

JoJo 1-8

That's my first time watching and I'm actually surprised at the amount of story here, I thought it's mostly about fighting and doing manly stuff. Heard second arc is much better, so l'm looking forward to it.

Also I finally finished Death Note, it's only my second manga (first one was Uzumaki). Now I'm slowly making my way through Monster, but I'm getting more and more depressed with each chapter, everyone here is a monster! I'm also planning to read 20th Century Boys and Billy Bat, but I think I also need to find something more lighthearted ASAP :lol I've been thinking about One Piece, but this one looks like huge time investment.

Yes, I've been ill for the past week and had to find something to do, so binge-watching and binge-reading seemed like a good idea :D

The romance between Sousuke and Kaname in FMP is more implied than anything else, and it's done in a really remarkable fashion. Especially in one particular scene in The Second Raid, which you haven't gotten to yet.

CorvoSol explains here on what makes it a good scene, far above your standard Tsundere girl and harem protagonist relationships. (Be warned as it contains some major spoilers)

The important bit is right here. All of this wasn't spoiler tagged in the post, but I tagged some of it here just in case.

CorvoSol on FMP TSR Episode 6 said:
Let me just throw out there that if you're looking for a romance in which the protagonists are physical or even good at expressing their affection for one another, you have boarded the wrong ship, my friend! This is the CLOSEST Kaname and Sousuke ever come on screen, in terms of physicality, and what is it that's happening? A haircut. Never, ever will I deny that KyoAni is great at hair animations, because the haircut (much of which is just Chidori playing with Sagara's hair) is done really, really well.

The premise of the scene is that Sousuke cannot adapt to Japanese Civilian life, and that his latest flub was his pulling a gun on a hair-dresser because the scissors made him panic. So Kaname invites Sousuke over to cut his hair, on the grounds that "I'm not a threat to you, am I?" Sousuke consents, and the scene begins. During it some exposition occurs and a bit of fan service if for some reason you're bored, but the climax is when Chidori, after being informed of the existence of a second soldier being assigned to her care, whispers in Sousuke's ear: "The truth is, I feel safest with you." From that point onward, Sagara becomes more relaxed, and ultimately he feels so safe with her, trusts her so completely that he actually falls asleep. This is a pretty big deal for Sousuke, since he never, ever disarms, least of all in front of Kaname. It's a spectacular way of demonstrating how deeply he trusts her and how strongly he feels for her without ever having either one of them say that they do, and without either one ever doing anything overtly sexual.

I think the better question is, if they're adapting Gundam manga set in the UC universe, how about a Gundam Crossbone adaptation?

Surely that should do better than some side story set during the One Year War. Because I imagine they're doing this because Gundam IBO isn't doing too well right now in Japan, and when things don't look good for Sunrise, they go back to the UC universe.

As Narag mentioned, it's too early for this to be a reaction to poor Iron-Blooded Orphans ratings (and that series may be doing financially well in other regards; it's too early to tell yet). The wheels of companies move slowly, and it would take much longer than a couple weeks for an anime production to go through the process of getting green-lit to the point where it could be publicly announced.

Rather, this seems like a continuation of Bandai's basic Gundam strategy for the past few years: having two concurrent streams of productions being released, OVAs for the committed franchise fans (Unicorn, Origin) and TV series for general audiences (Gundam Build Fighters, G-Reco, Iron-Blooded Orphans).

John Blade

The romance between Sousuke and Kaname in FMP is more implied than anything else, and it's done in a really remarkable fashion. Especially in one particular scene in The Second Raid, which you haven't gotten to yet.

CorvoSol explains here on what makes it a good scene, far above your standard Tsundere girl and harem protagonist relationships. (Be warned as it contains some major spoilers)

The important bit is right here. All of this wasn't spoiler tagged in the post, but I tagged some of it here just in case.

Yea...that make sense when you think about it as that scene kinda show the connection between those two characters. Expectation the typical romance you see in anime isn't coming from this show. Still, I not too fond of how they make the main male character in season 2 when he was in the mission. The tone is very different than what I expect from him but I guess they want to show that to see how much the main girl affect to him. I guess I stop talking as I will spoil too much on season 2.

As Narag mentioned, it's too early for this to be a reaction to poor Iron-Blooded Orphans ratings (and that series may be doing financially well in other regards; it's too early to tell yet). The wheels of companies move slowly, and it would take much longer than a couple weeks for an anime production to go through the process of getting green-lit to the point where it could be publicly announced.

Rather, this seems like a continuation of Bandai's basic Gundam strategy for the past few years: having two concurrent streams of productions being released, OVAs for the committed franchise fans (Unicorn, Origin) and TV series for general audiences (Gundam Build Fighters, G-Reco, Iron-Blooded Orphans).

Yeah that makes sense. Though in the long run, it wouldn't surprise me for Sunrise to finally adapt Crossbone if Iron Blooded Orphans does end up underperforming. Something like that would be bound to bring in the viewers.

But this is just me hoping Sunrise adapts Crossbone already because holy crap look at this thing.

It's a Gundam that's got a tattered cape guys. A tattered CAPE.

Cornbread78

It has more romantic development than your average LN...but yeah I wouldn't call it a romance either.

FMP has plenty of romance, you just don't get to see its conclusion because they didn't adapt the novels that get to that.

Whoop there it is. Oh well, it's been a pretty entertaining show thus far, I mean, I loved Cross Game and there is literally 0 romance in it until
the very end, and even then, it's not even a confession, but more of an culmination of 48 episodes of build up to that moment when the two are finally honest with themselves and each other
. Still an amazing experience without the stereotypical romance. For me it doesn't have to be the lovey-dovey shit, but more of the development itself.

I mean, shows like Cross Game, Clannad and Plastic Memories stand out because of that development not the kissing and holding hands; just my 2 cents. Hopefully, it's worth the watch, but I may push it back to finish Emma and others on my PTW list first. I'm in the mood for more of a romcom right now more than anything else, but my list has very little stuff that would be considered "good" left, lol:

Ouran Koukou Host Club (probably will just be this one)
Special A (S.A)
They Are My Noble Masters,
Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts,
Fruits Basket,
Love Hina,
Mayo Chiki!,

Also, holy $hit at this synopsis:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/330/Midori_no_Hibi

High school delinquent Seiji Sawamura is desperate to have a girlfriend, especially after being rejected by 20 girls as of late. He's afraid that he will end his life with his right hand as his only companion. Apparently, that doesn't change when one day when he wakes up and discovers that his right hand has become a girl named Midori Kasugano, who confesses that she has had a crush on him for the last three years.

Do any of the above have good complete stories?

They showed Gintoki reading from a notepad on which Afro had written down what he was supposed to say.

Yep figured I missed something.

Yeah that makes sense. Though in the long run, it wouldn't surprise me for Sunrise to finally adapt Crossbone if Iron Blooded Orphans does end up underperforming. Something like that would be bound to bring in the viewers.

But this is just me hoping Sunrise adapts Crossbone already because holy crap look at this thing.

It's a Gundam that's got a tattered cape guys. A tattered CAPE.

Yeah Crossbone is really good. It's about space pirates and that design is the best Gundam design. The F91 is already cool, how about we soup one up and make it a PIRATE F91!

pbayne

Ouran Koukou Host Club (probably will just be this one)
Special A (S.A)
They Are My Noble Masters,
Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts,
Fruits Basket,
Love Hina,
Mayo Chiki!,

Do any of the above have good complete stories?

Dude watch that ASAP. It doesn't have the complete story unfortunately(read the manga) but you'll get a good sense of what direction it goes in. Still an incredible show though that breaks every trope of harems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom