• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dances With Devils Episode 4
CSbpkjjWsAIuvbi.png

She is quickly becoming down there with the Amnesia lead. She is making decisions that are not logical. If the mom was kidnapped by vampires, devil worshippers continuously put her under a spell and send ravenous girls to kill her, what more would one need to see that something is wrong. Why not just stay at home and be protected by the exorcist oniisan. Making Lindo get beat up for this dumb decision was awful.

Once in awhile, you just want a quickie..

I understand that, but that's kinda the problem here! A lot of anime shows don't do a good romance in only 12 episodes!

I mean they can, but if you're strictly looking for 12 episode shows, you're pretty much going to come across with unfinished LN adaptations with no real ending 99% of the time.

Good romance shows are typically longer than that and feel rewarding when you finish them, like the end of a long journey.

It's easy to find a 12 episode action show to enjoy some action fluff, but a good romance with a good ending? Those are really hard to come by in 12 episode sizes.

Qurupeke

Tokyo Ghoul JACK

This was okayish...? I guess. I'd prefer if it had been longer as especially in anime form, it was too obvious that Minami was a ghoul. I hope they'll adapt Tokyo Ghoul :re 1:1 though. I don't really have faith for TG anime anymore, but there are some really great moments in that and I really want to see this animated. No shit like root a hopefully. Can they retcon it please?

Slowly continuing my Shin Sekai Yori retwatch and god damn if this show isn't even more amazing than I remembered. I used to think that the characterization could've been much better but really, I doubt it at this point. The characters are actually perfectly fine and just what the story needs.

And that sublime world building and story going along with it is hard to find not just in anime but series and films overall.

Haikyuu 19-21

Seeing Sugawara play as setter is awesome. We haven't seen him do much but it goes to show that experience can sometimes be better than just talent. Kageyama got overwhelmed playing against his rival, so benching him was the best choice. The match still isn't done so let's see where things go from here!

Tokyo Ghoul JACK

This was okayish...? I guess. I'd prefer if it had been longer as especially in anime form, it was too obvious that Minami was a ghoul. I hope they'll adapt Tokyo Ghoul :re 1:1 though. I don't really have faith for TG anime anymore, but there are some really great moments in that and I really want to see this animated. No shit like root a hopefully. Can they retcon it please?

Root A was never canon. :Re is monumentally boring. Only keeping up with it because it doesn't take long to read a chapter and if I fall behind I will end up just dropping it. Feels more disjointed then Dressrosa in One Piece, which is an achievement.

Qurupeke

Root A was never canon. :Re is monumentally boring. Only keeping up with it because it doesn't take long to read a chapter and if I fall behind I will end up just dropping it. Feels more disjointed then Dressrosa in One Piece, which is an achievement.
It would be extremely dumb to be canon. In any case, they'll probably need to adapt the second part of TG again, as they skipped quite a lot of things vital for :re. And I hope that will be the case, because I don't want to see a butchered :re...

My only problem with :re is that there are way too many characters. Other than that, I love it. I feel it has less action than TG but still it has many arcs that really deliver, like the latest one. And of course, we slowly see the continuation or the aftermath of many TG plots.

It would be extremely dumb to be canon. In any case, they'll probably need to adapt the second part of TG again, as they skipped quite a lot of things vital for :re. And I hope that will be the case, because I don't want to see a butchered :re...

My only problem with :re is that there are way too many characters. Other than that, I love it. I feel it has less action than TG but still it has many arcs that really deliver, like the latest one. And of course, we slowly see the continuation or the aftermath of many TG plots.

I don't think they will re adapt the second half of TG. It's literally just going to be "Read the manga."

:Re having way too many characters is an understatement. I feel like I need a handbook to keep track of all of them and they keep dropping like flies. The art isn't really good enough to distinguish all the CCG guys either, and I'm not feeling the plot line that is merely getting by with constant, constant teases that go nowhere.

Anyone got a good anime recommendation that would be good for a group watch? My friend and I just finished Girls Und Panzer and just looking for something that's entertaining. It doesn't have to be amazing. Preferably something on Crunchyroll. :)

phaze

Anyone got a good anime recommendation that would be good for a group watch? My friend and I just finished Girls Und Panzer and just looking for something that's entertaining. It doesn't have to be amazing. Preferably something on Crunchyroll. :)

Fate/Zero
Kyousougiga
Gurren Lagann
Mononoke
Madoka Magica

Tokyo Ghoul JACK

Some extended flashback arcfor Kanou, Twins, Shachi and maybe Yomo and a small one for Kaneki vs Arima and voila ! I have faith in you Pierrot !

I respectfully disagree, had and still have a lot of qualms with :re but the current arc is a substantial improvement over what came before.

(Also, after reading One Piece, I'll never ever again complain about any other series having too many characters)
-------

Anybody watched both Perfect Blue and Black Swan ? Is there a point to watching the former if I already watched the latter ? Heard Black Swan borrows heavily from Kon's movie.

Tokyo Ghoul JACK

The only way I see Tokyo Ghoul:Re ever getting a good adaption is if they change the Staff to a more competent one and change Directors. While Morita may have been Oscar nominated, he's better of directing Movies because he's the main cause for the Tokyo Ghoul anime fuck up. Plus they have to recon lots of stuff that was skipped in part 1. So doing Movies or even OVAs to cover the major stuff in Part 1 would help, but it's unlikely.

But yeah I really don't want to see one of my favorite weekly ongoing manga get butchered twice.

I don't think they will re adapt the second half of TG. It's literally just going to be "Read the manga."

:Re having way too many characters is an understatement. I feel like I need a handbook to keep track of all of them and they keep dropping like flies. The art isn't really good enough to distinguish all the CCG guys either, and I'm not feeling the plot line that is merely getting by with constant, constant teases that go nowhere.

Well most of the new CCG characters have already died though.

Edit: Didn't read the part where you said drop like flies. Anyway most of these new characters aren't really supposed to be important and most are just used to give CCG a personality.

pbayne

Princess Jellyfish 4

Watching this thinking "oh nice little comedy SOL" until feels hit like a truck. Blown away by how understated and well written it was too. Generally an anime will signpost for ten episodes "hey this persons gonna die, prepare to feel sad".

Thoroughly enjoying this so far.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Whoop there it is. Oh well, it's been a pretty entertaining show thus far, I mean, I loved Cross Game and there is literally 0 romance in it until
the very end, and even then, it's not even a confession, but more of an culmination of 48 episodes of build up to that moment when the two are finally honest with themselves and each other
. Still an amazing experience without the stereotypical romance. For me it doesn't have to be the lovey-dovey shit, but more of the development itself.

I mean, shows like Cross Game, Clannad and Plastic Memories stand out because of that development not the kissing and holding hands; just my 2 cents. Hopefully, it's worth the watch, but I may push it back to finish Emma and others on my PTW list first. I'm in the mood for more of a romcom right now more than anything else, but my list has very little stuff that would be considered "good" left, lol:

Ouran Koukou Host Club (probably will just be this one)
Special A (S.A)
They Are My Noble Masters,
Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts,
Fruits Basket,
Love Hina,
Mayo Chiki!,

Also, holy $hit at this synopsis:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/330/Midori_no_Hibi

Do any of the above have good complete stories?

Midori no hibi have complete story adaptation and i think it's decent, so give it a shot.

Teekyuu. It'll blow your mind.

Anybody watched both Perfect Blue and Black Swan ? Is there a point to watching the former if I already watched the latter ? Heard Black Swan borrows heavily from Kon's movie.

I have not seen Black Swan, but I don't understand how Aronofsky's film would render Perfect Blue obsolete.

You know what other manga deserves an anime continuation/rebooting more than Tokyo Ghoul?

It's pretty obvious.

(And I don't even dislike Tokyo Ghoul. The first season wasn't even all that bad. It was okay.

Where Soul Eater's anime stopped (before it went into the non-canon stuff I mean) is about where the series stopped being consistent so I dunno if I would want that. Some stuff like sections of the Book of Eibon were good but the ending is just as bad - if not worse - then the Bones ending.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pro Tip for the Future:
[thread=1131173]Using my posts as inspiration for a thread isn't a good idea.[/thread]

Where Soul Eater's anime stopped (before it went into the non-canon stuff I mean) is about where the series stopped being consistent so I dunno if I would want that. Some stuff like sections of the Book of Eibon were good but the ending is just as bad - if not worse - then the Bones ending.

The ending was pretty rough, but the ride there was fun at least.

Though, why they never introduced
Maka's mother is baffling to me.

I feel like Tokyo Ghoul has kinda run its course, and is just spinning its wheels at this point. It's just throwing characters out and killing them off just as fast.

Squishy3

The real manga adaptation that needs a continuation is Beck.

The manga gets so good... and that ending is masterful. And they planned to continue because they recorded Baby Star but never used it!

dan2026

Soul Eater was like a train that caught on fire, then fell off a cliff, into a black hole, then caught on fire again.

Actually forget it, that makes Soul Eater sound exciting.

Gundams with no parents or legal guardians 3

Damn Mikazuki doesnt fuck around lol I like how this show doesnt beat around the bush with murdering other humans coldly.

Droplet

Have you ever played a Persona game Droplet? I'm desensitized by now lol. I actually don't like Japanese honorifics in english spoken dubs, but oh well. You get used to it eventually.

Yeah, I have. I feel like it sacrifices proper translation for needless flavor. I understand that part of it is people feel that English lacking honorifics means there's subtext being lost, but I remember in either case there being a point where they couldn't just use the word "upperclassmen" if it was needed. It just feels awkward and unnecessary, especially hearing it out loud. Plus, Persona, being a game without lip movements, had even more room to maneuver the lines to capture the subtleties properly in English, so they have no excuse except that they wrote the lines to appeal to Western anime fans.

Phatmac

Solid end to the Afro arc! Hoping that Saito is a regular but he'll probably just appear in specific acrs. Hopefully he'll get his final fight with Katsura. The whole episode was filled with funny moments but the mic speaking scene was the highlight with tons of gags and I don't understand Japaneese jokes. Gintoki ratting out the Shinsengumi and their strange actions had me laugh so hard. I'm surprised by how villainous Katsura can be considering that he's been a joke character for so long. Great episode as always rotten vice chief.

Jintor

Soul Eater was like a train that caught on fire, then fell off a cliff, into a black hole, then caught on fire again.

Actually forget it, that makes Soul Eater sound exciting.

The manga wrapped really nicely, too :T

stupid bones ending poisoning the well forever

/edit don't mention NOT, for the love of god, don't mention NOT

Phatmac

I doubt the cute dog has anything to do with the murder. I'm guessing it's an allergic reaction to the painting. There's no way a cute dog that loves Sakurako would be a cursed one. Glad more of the cases are taking more episodes to solve.

Cornbread78

Kore wa Zombie Desuka? of the Dead S2, ep.1-3

Lots more craziness to start off S2 with that unloving harem of him. Well, at least he has 2 confessions to him now, his "wife" from season 1 and now the other vampire ninja that has " butt love" for him, lol. The dude just has a rough zombie life, for sure and I'm watching this one for the comedy.

JulianImp

Higurashi 1-13

That's pretty cool. Artstyle sucked at first, but it fits nicely with what happens later and definitely adds to overall creepiness.

Glad you liked it, since I'm fairly into 7th Expansion stuff. You should totally try to watch the later seasons, since the series has eight separate story chapters, each corresponding to a specific instance of Hinamizawa. The four later episodes cover the story from a radically different point of view, which was rather interesting as well.

If you liked that, you could try watching Umineko, another adaptation of a 7th Expansion work (only it only got 4 episodes out of eight adapted so you won't get the full experience), or get your hands on Higanbana no Saku Yoru Ni, available translated in visual novel form and in JP manga form as well. The weird thing is that Higanbana began as a manga and then became a VN, rather than the other way around like the other two.

Another S01

Final Destination: The Anime. Mindless fun with some irritating characters.

The first part where it was more of a psychological thriller was amazing for me. I remember the doll shop receptionist that had the exact same dialogue in two occasions, as well as the big question of just what was up with the girl with the patch (Mei, I think?). The show was scary in a Lynchesque kind of way... and then threw all that off the board as it became Final Destination, and bored me to death.

I would've liked it more if the show kept the specifics of what was going on ambiguous rather than have everything point to a random curse that'd revive people, rewrite the memories of every single person to make them believe that person was still alive, and then randomly stark killing kids that belonged to that class each month until it "got" the right person and stopped until next year. That made absolutely no sense and wasn't scary at all... in the end the bizarre and spooky stuff ended up being an excuse plot to show overly contrived and gore-filled death sequences.

JoJo 1-8

That's my first time watching and I'm actually surprised at the amount of story here, I thought it's mostly about fighting and doing manly stuff. Heard second arc is much better, so l'm looking forward to it.

I agree that Part 2 felt way more fun than Part 1, maybe because Joseph Joestar was more fun as a protagonist than goody-two-shoes Jonathan. For reference, Part 3 introduces stands (kind of like guardian spirits that give people bizarre and cool abilities), and they become a mainstay of the series after that.

The cool thing about JoJo is that it is so old that it has actually inspired lots of stuff (such as Guile of Street Fighter fame being based on a certain Part 2 character), but doesn't show too many signs of being horribly dated compared to other old stuff I've watched. Still, it might be the case that David Productions just did a superb job bringing it up to date, but from what I heard that doesn't appear to be the case all that much.

ibyea

Banned
Glad you liked it, since I'm fairly into 7th Expansion stuff. You should totally try to watch the later seasons, since the series has eight separate story chapters, each corresponding to a specific instance of Hinamizawa. The four later episodes cover the story from a radically different point of view, which was rather interesting as well.

If you liked that, you could try watching Umineko, another adaptation of a 7th Expansion work (only it only got 4 episodes out of eight adapted so you won't get the full experience), or get your hands on Higanbana no Saku Yoru Ni, available translated in visual novel form and in JP manga form as well. The weird thing is that Higanbana began as a manga and then became a VN, rather than the other way around like the other two.

Hmm, I personally think the Umineko anime adaptation is better skipped. It glosses over too much. I know some you need some leeway when it comes to adaptation but they pretty much reduced it to a husk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom