• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Sakurako ep.4
Lots of chit chat in this one, but the set up and the "secret" meeting were interesting. The dude is hiding something, which it appears she sensed at the end. Should be an interesting end next week.

Higurashi 1-13

That's pretty cool. Artstyle sucked at first, but it fits nicely with what happens later and definitely adds to overall creepiness.

Hoo boy, the next few episodes are gonna be fun for you. I won't spoil anything but the upcoming arc is infamous for a reason. Enjoy!

I waited through that entire manga for Black Star to become likable. Never happened.

You are not alone. 18 episodes into the anime and he's still my least liked character.

Actress Ai Takabe arrested for cocaine possession
http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/actress-ai-takabe-arrested-for-cocaine-possession

Like kicking the grave of KMB.

Yes, and in further developments Japanese streaming services such as Bandai Channel are taking down not only Kill Me Baby, but also Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers and Wandering Son, two other shows in which this actress had roles. It just baffles me the extent to which these companies are taking their reaction to this arrest. What next, burn all physical copies of these shows so no one can hear her voice ever again?

raven777

Macross Delta key visual

56319B9B3D161D002A

56319B953D142B002A

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes, and in further developments Japanese streaming services such as Bandai Channel are taking down not only Kill Me Baby, but also Aoi Hana/Sweet Blue Flowers and Wandering Son, two other shows in which this actress had roles. It just baffles me the extent to which these companies are taking their reaction to this arrest. What next, burn all physical copies of these shows so no one can hear her voice ever again?

I remember this season in Charlotte when MC went fucking crazy and Nao followed him while invisible the whole time, but just let him go around beating the shit out of people, threatening to kill them and just generally being an evil fuck, but then the line he couldn't cross was doing a little blow.

ibyea

Banned

I have always thought Japan's attitude to drugs were way too extreme.

ibyea

Banned
I remember this season in Charlotte when MC went fucking crazy and Nao followed him while invisible the whole time, but just let him go around beating the shit out of people, threatening to kill them and just generally being an evil fuck, but then the line he couldn't cross was doing a little blow.

I remember when in Detective Conan this soccer star Conan admired was found to do drugs and they framed it like he was the worst person ever.

I remember Higurashi. That was enjoyable.

Do y'all recommend Another? I want to watch something with the lights off.

Another is like a bad horror movie in that you'll probably get more laughs out of it than scares. Some of the uncensored death scenes are quite brutal tho.

If you want a good horror anime, I'd recommend Shiki over it. Even with the silly hair, the show is very atmospheric.

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection of F

Hey I bought the Blu-Ray and finally saw this when I was one of the only people who cared about it! I am a huge Dragon Ball fan like most people in the West who watch anime, but I really never stopped loving it and it's still one of my GOAT. I really loved Battle of Gods which was to my surprise, they brought back DB with it's best movie yet and introduced Beerus and Whis who fit amazingly into the universe. The Super Saiyan God stuff is kind of silly yes, but seeing as it is now providing a background to DB Super I think it's fine.

When RoF was announced, me and others just went "Really?" After how great of an addition Beerus and Whis were I was expecting something else that was new. Freiza already came back once! I ain't even gonna count Fusion Reborn because he and Cell came back in that for a joke as well. Despite that, I was willing to suspend judgment until I actually saw it, which was a good idea because I did like it. Freiza is iconic, very iconic, it's not that surprising he would return again. There is Jaco from Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, who is another good addition to the cast, so at least there is that.

First off, I find it hilarious that they used that 2008 Maximum the Hormone (Those guys who did the legendary second OP Death Note track) song about Freiza in this movie. It's screamo and hardly fits at all but I guess they just had to. When it started playing I was laughing hard. If you have never heard it, here it is. Yep. This was actually in the movie.

The movie looks about as good as you would expect - far better then an average episode and decent for a movie. There is some odd CG here and there, not as bad as say the Berserk movies but semi distracting. That's mostly for the crowds, the CG for the 1v1 fight is decent enough, would be amazing in a TV series. The actual 1,000 man melee is pretty cool though, even if it may have been a tad too long, and even people like Tien and Roshi fight. Tien didn't bring Yamcha though cuz he is too weak (actually happened.) People are probably gonna be pissed in Super when Freiza takes out Gohan with one punch. Not as silly as Goku being knocked out of SSGSS by some kind of...ring laser thing? Dumb. Pretty stupid that Freiza didn't know Vegeta could turn Super Saiyan either, let alone SSGSS. Why would he not count on that? Anyway looking for solid continuity in Dragon Ball is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Yeah, Kid Buu was gonna rip the universe apart by screaming but these Ki blasts from people with the Ki of Gods just kinda smash a few rocks. So Freiza being able to fight on par with the Z Fighters after all the shit they did is explained by Freiza being a savant who never trained because he had no need. If he really wanted to, it would take only 4 months for him to equal to a power level of 1.3 Million! Which doesn't make any sense because he had a higher power level then that in his third form but WHATEVER I wish they would retcon the power level scaling and smash those stats like it's Warlords of Draenor, or better yet, never speak of them ever again. Power levels are stupid anyway and the people who still care about them are dumb.

Now here comes the stuff I didn't like. Sure there are continuity errors - how did they regen Freiza when the entire reason he was cyborged was because they can't regen to that degree, howcome when he came back he was in his first form and not his final one if he died in his final one and that's actually his original form, etc etc those are all small nitpicks you would expect from Toriyama and I already started doing that above, which I am gonna try to avoid. I think one of the biggest problems here is that there aren't any twists or turns. Everything is very obvious. Whis mentions he can turn back time, and he does at the end. Bulma offers Whis some food so he will come and help and he tells Goku and Vegeta in the nick of time. Right when it looks like Vegeta will actually win, nope, gotta be Goku. I think the implementation of SSGSS (if you are wondering, that stands for Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Yup.) In fact, they don't even call it SSGSS in the movie! Reminded me of G-Savior, where they never refer to the main Mobile Suit as a Gundam. Everyone is just kinda being handed out new forms like candy. When SS1, SS2 and SS3 happened the reveals were appropriately epic - I am sure all of you who grew up with the series can still recall those three moments. Super Saiyan God at least had a neat way to be activated, SSGSS doesn't feel special. It is lacking that punch that the Super Saiyan forms had. No "I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" from Goku or anything equivalent. Not even an explanation besides "They trained hard." Freiza's new old SNES form is much the same way. Now I don't really want 7 minutes of screaming like with SS3, just...some kind of impact? Another problem is that the movie just ends. Like yep, they beat 'em. That's it. Seeya. Was pretty lackluster. Battle of Gods ended in a really atypical way for the series where Goku doesn't win and Beerus and Whis leave while implying there are more things to come. I hope in Super this will be expanded on because it feels really limp.

Overall, 7/10. Not as good as Battle of Gods but solid fanservice for the most iconic part of the series. Now I ain't seen the other movies in a long time but I would most likely rank it with Fusion Reborn and the first Broly movie, that is to say - pretty good, worth watching if you are a fan. As I said in the first paragraph, I like Battle of Gods the most. Would I say no to Resurrection of "C"? No, probably not - the route is there to take, Cell already did that once when he came back after being blown up. I would be disappointed if that is the path they decided to take. Give me new shit!

JulianImp

Hmm, I personally think the Umineko anime adaptation is better skipped. It glosses over too much. I know some you need some leeway when it comes to adaptation but they pretty much reduced it to a husk.

Well, yeah... but it'd be an okay-ish way to get into the series in case he/she wants to read the VNs and/or manga. Still, I agree that some anime scenes spawned more plot holes than Gaap could ever hope to create.

I remember Higurashi. That was enjoyable.

Do y'all recommend Another? I want to watch something with the lights off.

I posted about it on the previous page, but it's spoiler-y. To me, the series had two very distinct arcs:
  • First, the Lynch-esque "what the hell is going on?!" psyhologic thriller with lots of things that seem surreal but you can't quite tell if they're actually happen or it's just the MC going crazy. That rocked.
  • A couple of episodes into the show, it decides to shed all traces of mystery and become Final Destination. That sucked.

If you like FD (
no items, Fox only
), I guess you couldn't go wrong with it anyway, but I really hated the crazy and random tone shift the story did.

ibyea

Banned
Well, yeah... but it'd be an okay-ish way to get into the series in case he/she wants to read the VNs and/or manga. Still, I agree that some anime scenes spawned more plot holes than Gaap could ever hope to create.

Another reason is I feel like the post VN episode 1 surprises would be way more effective reading the VN first, since the show doesn't do it justice.

Syrinx

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb 7-8

This seems like a big moment in Yuno's development. After having the peisode wher Hiro can't decide what to do with her future cause she doesn't want to leave the present, we have Yuno, who was always unsure of her abilitiesl and doesn't knw if she's good enough to do this for her furture even if that is what she wants to do, winning this pamphlet dealy and getting some validation for her abilities.

Also she met what's-her-face...that girl she met that one time. She says Yuno has become more mature and she's probably right

And hten there was a school festial where Nazuna's class just said fuck it, let's just fill our room with balloons and shit.

Macross Delta key visual

http://i1.ruliweb.daumcdn.net/uf/original/U01/ruliweb/56319B9B3D161D002A[IMG]
[IMG]http://i1.ruliweb.daumcdn.net/uf/original/U01/ruliweb/56319B953D142B002A[IMG][/QUOTE]

Team boygroup vs Team idols

Pick your poison.

[quote="AquaWateria, post: 183350921"][b]South Park[/b]

Never would I have imagined something Tokyo Ghoul related would be in South Park lol.[/QUOTE]

I see Cajun's old avatar. RIP

pbayne

The real manga adaptation that needs a continuation is Beck.

The manga gets so good... and that ending is masterful. And they planned to continue because they recorded Baby Star but never used it!

Huh din't know Beck continued after the anime. For what its worth I think the anime ending of Beck was perfect and there was no need for it to continue.

As much as id love a continuation/remake of stuff like Berserk, Ouran, Soul eater etc They probably aren't current enough or still popular enough to warrant them. The term "Brotherhood treatment" gets tossed around a lot but people underestimate just how popular Full metal alchemist was to deserve that treatment.

Thoraxes

Are the Specials and OVA's a good watch. There are about 20 of those combined, lol.

They're all basically pure fanservice.

If you wanna see a lot of anime boobies, panty shots, and Rito accidentally falling into compromising positions with the girls, you watch the OVAs. If you don't, just stick to the main series.
are the swords of concealing light in the BD release?

asking for a friend

BDs are all uncensored, which is also why they sell well enough to keep pumping out more anime seasons and OVAs. Like shit, if you include OVAs, since they're the length of normal episodes, there's over 75 episodes of TLR, in all of it's incarnations, animated. Only character that still retains censorship on the BD releases is Mikan, for obvious reasons.
Hidamari Sketch 9

Does anybody like Chika?

All Kugyuus are oh so good.

This is the future you guys get for liking Sheryl.

Wake Up Girls - Seven Idols

Wake Up Girls Seven Idols is a prequel movie for the series Wake Up Girls. The plot revolves around a washed up talent agency that hastily throws together an idol group because that is the popular thing to do.

Introductions out of the way the movie served as a great introduction to the characters. You can tell what each girl is like based on the pictures she chose to present herself with on her resume. The president is a no-nonsense schemer and the manager reminds of a youthful naive producer from a certain other idol anime series. There is a lot of focus on Mayu, previous center of the established successful idol group. Her backstory is left a mystery yet there are implications of trouble at home. I find this interesting as we never really get a sense of how anime idols handle life outside of idol work in other series.

The plot revolves around Green Leaves talent agency forming a hastily put together idol group after their last client quits on them. It’s not the most engaging plot and it’s not like I haven’t seen it before yet I find this a more realistic portrayal of rising stars struggling to kickstart their careers. The plot twist near the end really makes everything seem hopeless and by the end of the movie I really wanted to see any type of success for the group.

The animation is great. For a series criticized for its bad animation I have to imagine most of the budget went towards this movie. Mayu’s I-1 performance looked a little robotic but WUG’s performance which served as the movie’s finale was well animated. There is some questionable camera work such as the camera bouncing while they danced. The mismatched uniforms and bland stage really conveys that they’re beginners struggling to get started. Helps that the song is probably one of the better anime idol songs I’ve listened to.

This is probably the most realistic portrayal of the idol industry in Japan I’ve seen in an anime. The anime idol struggle is real. Reminds me that I should watch Perfect Blue.

NeonZ

To Love-Ru OVA 1

Why is the ghost a human now?

She's possessing an artificial body. It's only introduced in a manga chapter though. The anime never adapted its introduction, so she just randomly appears when they start adapting later manga chapters. The 1st season had a lot of original content, while the later ones are more straight adaptations from the manga, so there are many small details that might seem out of place.

DiGiKerot

Wake Up Girls - Seven Idols
The animation is great. For a series criticized for its bad animation I have to imagine most of the budget went towards this movie. Mayu’s I-1 performance looked a little robotic but WUG’s performance which served as the movie’s finale was well animated. There is some questionable camera work such as the camera bouncing while they danced. The mismatched uniforms and bland stage really conveys that they’re beginners struggling to get started. Helps that the song is probably one of the better anime idol songs I’ve listened to.

As far as the animation goes, for the TV show, a lot of the really janky stuff was corrected quite significantly by the time the show hit BD. The movie, on the other hand, had its BD release produced so that they could sell it at actual screenings of the movie on release day (which was actually the same day as the first episode of the show aired in Japan). The movies animation is generally pretty good, but there's a couple of real clunkers they never managed to get the chance to clean up - most infamous is probably the part where Minami sudden spawns a second arm just before the concert at the end.

Most of the music is composed and produced by a fellow called Kousaki Satoru, who is kind of an anime song legend - he did a lot of famous iDOLM@STER songs, and a lot of the better known Monogatari OPs (and Someone Else from Working!). His WUG stuff swings a smidgen more towards actual idol music than his iM@S stuff, which is kind of interesting - I particularly love the MayuC's old I-1 Club song Little Challenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom