• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the animation goes, for the TV show, a lot of the really janky stuff was corrected quite significantly by the time the show hit BD. The movie, on the other hand, had its BD release produced so that they could sell it at actual screenings of the movie on release day (which was actually the same day as the first episode of the show aired in Japan). The movies animation is generally pretty good, but there's a couple of real clunkers they never managed to get the chance to clean up - most infamous is probably the part where Minami sudden spawns a second arm just before the concert at the end.

Most of the music is composed and produced by a fellow called Kousaki Satoru, who is kind of an anime song legend - he did a lot of famous iDOLM@STER songs, and a lot of the better known Monogatari OPs (and Someone Else from Working!). His WUG stuff swings a smidgen more towards actual idol music than his iM@S stuff, which is kind of interesting - I particularly love the MayuC's old I-1 Club song Little Challenger.

I didn't notice a mystery arm on first viewing but after going back to look its pretty obvious. I'm watching this on CR so I'm assuming I'll be missing out on the improved BR release.

Looking up Kousaki Satoru it seems he composed the best OP ever. I'm curious about his iM@S discography as my cursory google search only turns up BGBW's favorite song.

DiGiKerot

I didn't notice a mystery arm on first viewing but after going back to look its pretty obvious. I'm watching this on CR so I'm assuming I'll be missing out on the improved BR release.

They didn't get the chance to do an updated version of the movie, unfortunately - basically, the Japanese theatrical release, the initial BD release, and that Crunchyroll stream all happened on the same day (along with the first episode of the TV show!). The initial BD release was only sold at cinemas, but they didn't do any corrections or remaster the BD when they did the general release a month or so later, so that version with the mystery arm is the only one which exists, alas.

As for the TV show, yeah, CR is the TV version. It's not actually that bad, but it mostly stands out as they flub some of the concert scenes that they really needed to be nailing, animation-wise.

Looking up Kousaki Satoru it seems he composed the best OP ever. I'm curious about his iM@S discography as my cursory google search only turns up BGBW's favorite song.

Aside from Go My Way!!, he also did Ready! (The first OP from the TV show) and M@STERPIECE (the main theme from the movie), in addition to a few popular songs like Kiramekira from the games and character singles.

Man, I'm watching Shirobako and everytime they play some sort of alternate version of this tune I can't help but crack up. Probably half of the BGM is some variation of this tune lol.

Thoraxes

variations on a main theme is legit though. i've been reading musical analysis of undertale, it's fascinating.

(tbh i didn't notice much of the bgm in shirobako)

I really liked a lot of the small jazz group pieces they did for the Shirobako OST. Like this one for instance. The charts for them really stand out compared to a lot of the more low-key pieces on the OST though.

A lot of the piano trio and chamber stuff was really good too.

variations on a main theme is legit though. i've been reading musical analysis of undertale, it's fascinating.

It depends on how it's used, there are plenty of moments where a callback to another tune makes a scene super badass, look at the final boss battle theme of Persona 4 for example.

After my first post I watched episode 22 Shirobako and the first three scenes all have the same song but in a different way, kinda takes me out of the moment

phaze

Teekyuu. It'll blow your mind.

I have not seen Black Swan, but I don't understand how Aronofsky's film would render Perfect Blue obsolete.

Teekyuu. It'll blow your mind.

I have not seen Black Swan, but I don't understand how Aronofsky's film would render Perfect Blue obsolete.

It wouldn't make it obsolete per se but if the important story beats are pretty much the same (and I remember reading something to that effect a long while ago) then my desire to see it would lessen considerably yes.

Teekyu S2

Bit weaker then the first season but the Op song was pretty dope.

Anybody watched both Perfect Blue and Black Swan ? Is there a point to watching the former if I already watched the latter ? Heard Black Swan borrows heavily from Kon's movie.

I've seem both now and while I see the similarities, I don't think having watching either will really lessen the view on the other much or make for a redundant experience.

Has been ~3 years since I've seen Black Swan so it isn't as fresh in my mind, but I'm pretty sure I'd consider Perfect Blue to be more cleverly written (and executed) at least. Oh and it should be worth watching just for the impressive use of transitions.

e:
I also don't think the story beats are particularly similar. Narrative and thematically speaking they're somewhat close, sure, but the plot isn't really similar.

TheRancor

It depends on how it's used, there are plenty of moments where a callback to another tune makes a scene super badass, look at the final boss battle theme of Persona 4 for example.

After my first post I watched episode 22 Shirobako and the first three scenes all have the same song but in a different way, kinda takes me out of the moment
One interesting thing about Shirobako is that Tsutomu Mizushima the director was also in charge as the sound director. I also thought Shiro Hamaguchi did a fairly good job as the composer overall with the resources he had.

Man, I'm watching Shirobako and everytime they play some sort of alternate version of this tune I can't help but crack up. Probably half of the BGM is some variation of this tune lol.

There's still noticeable number of themes/cues besides the main theme though.

Just arrived in New York guys. Weather is amazing compared to Toronto lol. Anyway I got to finish up Haikyuu S1 before the flight:

Haikyuu 22-25

I was already spoiled on the outcome of the last match because of MALs synopsis for season 2 (seriously if you plan on watching the series, don't look up S2) but it was still very well done, specially when they were all eating after the match. Them feelsssss. Anyway pretty great show. I'll get to S2 once I'm back home.

Now I got a huge city to explore.

Id take an osomatsu phone cover, but they never make them for my phone
CSfeH8UVAAAcmfw.jpg:large

petran79

Banned
I had a video on Youtube with the opening of Battle Programmer Shirase for couple of years

I remember while watching that series that the creators did not mind the series being distributed through fansubbers and they also praised their work

Few days ago video got taken down by a claim of King Records....

Sword Art Online 01

I watched this because I wanted to know why people dislike this so much but looking at this first episode I ..... don't see what's wrong with it.
I mean, it will probably fall apart later on but for now I'm having fun. Mostly because of how over the top everything is, how the first scene presented the fact that a VMMORPG exists like it's the best thing mankind has ever made already got a good laugh out of me for example.

All the other references to MMO's were also neat and suprisingly selfaware. Gags like this for example when everyone changed to how they look IRL

It's cool to see that everything is also a bit blurry when we see a shot from the Point of View of a character, I always like to see small details like that, shows me that at least someone working on it put some care into this show.

Klein was the real champion of the episode though, what an hero. I'm already mentally preparing myself for his inevitable death or betrayal.

RIP 2000 people already, how do you even die in a starting area? The best thing is that the VR headset literally cooked those people because they died In-Game. Why is a dangerous product like that already commercially available lol?

---------------

I'm interested to see where this show goes wrong. If it stays this way I think I'd enjoy it (within reason) and if goes completely off the rails I'm probably going to enjoy it even more. Win-Win?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sword Art Online 01

I watched this because I wanted to know why people dislike this so much but looking at this first episode I ..... don't see what's wrong with it.

The best thing is that the VR headset literally cooked those people because they died In-Game. Why is a dangerous product like that already commercially available lol?

The problems didn't start with episode 1.

But your niggle about the headset is just the start of what would lead to the weekly sessions of 'what just doesn't make sense in SAO' (often followed by "it's explained in the LN")

Sword Art Online 01

The only people that gnash their teeth in anger and take issue with it are people that are jealous that they are unable to be as good as Kirito is in games. Just wait until you see his Beater skills in action.

Aikatsu! 31-41

Mizuki's auditions for Tristar was stupid as fuck to me. These idol sure have to work out an awful lot and do a lot of heavy weight training. The moment Ran was chosen to be a member I knew that shit was not going to work out. Ran is part of the main trio of the show, of course she wasn't going to be happy with the end result regardless of the fact it was her choice to try out for it anyway. I saw it as the final nail in the coffin when the headmistress created Soleil. I did find it amusing second best idol Yurika was chosen to be part of Tristar even though it never felt like she was on that level. But whatever she's getting the respect she deserves.

Sword Art Online 02

gxrsDdj.jpg

K I R I T O
I
R
I
T
O

What a man, Cornbread was right all along

That racism against Beta-testers is hilarious, it's just so forced. All those beginners are just salty that they don't get to look as edgy as Kirito.

Again, the side characters were the real heroes of the episode. Guy with hammer and his gang with the clutch save were awesome

G4ssROM.jpg

RIP In Pieces Diabel, why didn't you drink the potion you kill-stealing bastard?

Continues to be solid,

The problems didn't start with episode 1.

But your niggle about the headset is just the start of what would lead to the weekly sessions of 'what just doesn't make sense in SAO' (often followed by "it's explained in the LN")

How much episodes of fun do I have left?

Sword Art Online 01

I'm interested to see where this show goes wrong. If it stays this way I think I'd enjoy it (within reason) and if goes completely off the rails I'm probably going to enjoy it even more. Win-Win?

To be fair, the first half of SAO isn't really horrible as much as it is unremarkable.

It really wants you to take the whole "die in the game die in real life" thing really seriously, but the whole thing just comes off as sloppy. Despite that though, the first half is mostly harmless. For what it is, there's some entertainment value.

The second half on the other hand, is where the little entertainment value it has vanishes and the show goes on a downward spiral that results in the one of the worst anime episodes I've ever sat through.

It was so bad I couldn't even get angry at it. By the time I finished the show I was just depressed and numb as I imagined so many better scenarios this show could have had and how much better it could have been as opposed to what I got.

Sigh.

Cornbread78

Sword Art Online 01

YES Kenji, YES YES YES!

Enjoy greatness; screw the haters! Let the haters talk all the crap about Gary Stu, blah, blah, blah... Just enjoy the experience!

That is all, peace!

My problem with the first episode of Sword Art Online was that it was just dull. Some nice backgrounds, but otherwise the direction and character interactions were totally drab and unengaging. The second episode was better because at least there was some fun action and amusing melodrama.

And that's all I watched.

phaze

I've seem both now and while I see the similarities, I don't think having watching either will really lessen the view on the other much or make for a redundant experience.

Has been ~3 years since I've seen Black Swan so it isn't as fresh in my mind, but I'm pretty sure I'd consider Perfect Blue to be more cleverly written (and executed) at least. Oh and it should be worth watching just for the impressive use of transitions.

e:
I also don't think the story beats are particularly similar. Narrative and thematically speaking they're somewhat close, sure, but the plot isn't really similar.

I see. Well, that allays my fears, will try to knock this down soon.

I would argue the first season of SAO is okay.

It's dumb as a bag of rocks, but it's okay. You can laugh at it, and occasionally be impressed by the good animation.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only people that gnash their teeth in anger and take issue with it are people that are jealous that they are unable to be as good as Kirito is in games. Just wait until you see his Beater skills in action.

Kirito was the only redeemable thing about it. No one hates the greatest person in the world.

Firemind

See, if that was maybe at least 50% of the show rather than 20%, I'd have less of a problem with SAO.

Hell, if the entire show was all about Kirito and Asuna kicking ass together and being awesome, I'd be all for it.
not even fate/zero is comprised of more than 20% actual fighting

Ascheroth

I'm still salty because they skipped the only good part of the ALO arc.
It includes a high level dungeon, hidden quests and a jellyfish with an elephant head.
I only watched the ALO part because I wanted to see how a jellyfish with an elephant head would look like. I got no jellyfish at all.

Qurupeke

Sword Art Online is actually good for the first 10~ episodes. Not great, but not bad either. Maybe a bit too fast paced and it doesn't explain a lot of things, but it's likeable. Then Yui comes and it becomes trash. And then we have the second part of S1...

And Asuna was the best thing about SAO anyway.

Line_HTX

Kiritobread is frothing like crazy again before tonight's game. Not like it's a bad thing. S1 was enjoyable enough. And S2 was kind of cool.

Heh heh heh heh...

Asuna is the worst though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm still salty because they skipped the only good part of the ALO arc.
It includes a high level dungeon, hidden quests and a jellyfish with an elephant head.
I only watched the ALO part because I wanted to see how a jellyfish with an elephant head would look like. I got no jellyfish at all.

Yes we did.

GO53irV.jpg

What is disappointing is they didn't call it an Elliefish.

Mizerman

Yeah, these characters all suck...

XNGUkxK.gif

Yeah...

The majority the characters mean nothing to me even if you show me that. It's something when I prefer the concepts of a series rather than the actual series itself.

I would argue the first season of SAO is okay.

It's dumb as a bag of rocks, but it's okay. You can laugh at it, and occasionally be impressed by the good animation.

This.

It's amusing in the way The Room was: Purely Unintentional.

Ascheroth

Yes we did.

GO53irV.jpg

What is disappointing is they didn't call it an Elliefish.

What? When did this happen?
Was this actually in the normal episodes, or a special or something, because I can't remember this at all. This doesn't even look familiar or anything.

I need to reevaluate my existence.

What? When did this happen?
Was this actually in the normal episodes, or a special or something, because I can't remember this at all. This doesn't even look familiar or anything.

I need to reevaluate my existence.
This was after all that stuff that happened with Sinon.

JulianImp

See, if that was maybe at least 50% of the show rather than 20%, I'd have less of a problem with SAO.

Hell, if the entire show was all about Kirito and Asuna kicking ass together and being awesome, I'd be all for it.

I agree. The SAO arc was unremarkable but still watchable, but the ALO arc was a massive step down thanks to the rapist power-tripping admin, captive princess Asuna and incest bait Suguha. GGO reusing the rapist power-tripping antagonist archetype was a real pain, and there was no real way to solve the "mystery" of who Desu Gan was before Kirito got a flash of inspiration from starting at ASADA-SAN's in-game buttcrack long enough. Then, the Excalibur arc was a tiny bit better because the main party was no longer restricted to just Kirito plus the seasonal girl that'd end up falling for him, and Mother's Rosario was sad because it kind of tried to develop Asuna's character, but she had long ago been reduced to nothing after she devolved from self-sufficient badass into little more than Kirito's loving girlfriend through the SAO arc.

All in all the show felt like it could've been much better, but the exclusive focus on Kirito and making him look awesome at al costs really hurt the rest of the cast, which were little more than props designed to make him stand out: all the girls are saved by him and end up falling in love with him, Klein is only there for comic relief and the bar guy does little more than lend them his store for RL gatherings and parties. Then, the bad guys are ridiculously irredeemable monsters (only the SAO guy is somehow redeemed after having trapped countless people with his game and killed many of them... because reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom