• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noragami - 05

In other news, water is wet and
Yukine still alive

See this is the kind of weak writing and more specifically world building that I can't stand. Please establish the limits of your fictional world, otherwise I'm not sure what to make of any events taking place.
Not only does Yukine's sword instance get cut in half, we even see the same happening to his human visualization, clearly implying he's dead—what else would two separate body halves mean to imply? Well, apparently it means he's two blades instead of one now. Yay. How? Well, good old power of friendship!

Not like anyone expected anything else but that still doesn't justify this kind of bad, albeit common, writing.

Other than that I wasn't a fan of the pacing this episode. The battle is constantly interrupted by people taking about nothing particularly interesting for too long and towards the end you begin to realize that they'll drag on this arc to another episode.

Also ain't much fun following ignorant characters. Yato and Bishamon fail to see through the shallow plot by Evil Sensei even when his pahtnom-Dino is snacking on dozens of regeilias. Bishamon can continue to fight in spite of some overwhelming corruption because...she's a strong woman™ character and super pissed off and whenever either of the two gods can land a lethal strike they don't do so for...reasons or another regelia just has got to get in the way after all.

For being part of the climax of this arc this episode sure was boring and a disappointing follow up to the last.

Noragami - 05

In other news, water is wet and
Yukine still alive

See this is the kind of weak writing and more specifically world building that I can't stand. Please establish the limits of your fictional world, otherwise I'm not sure what to make of any events taking place.
Not only does Yukine's sword instance get cut in half, we even see the same happening to his human visualization, clearly implying he's dead—what else would two separate body halves mean to imply? Well, apparently it means he's two blades instead of one now. Yay. How? Well, good old power of friendship!

Come on, how is that garbage tier writing? That was the strongest part of this whole arc.

Ushio and Tora 18

gkX5lkR.jpg
GktZmcU.jpg
IazyaTF.jpg

Tora still best

Pretty good episode but I dunno how this is just peaking at halfway over. Is Hakumen no Mono not the final boss?

Tomboy won, all is good

Noragami Aragato 05

I was half tempted to just drop this when the cliffhanger being Yukine died was actually "no lol he just got stronger now and is DOUBLE SWORDS because Bleach is a good series we should emulate right?"

Ushio and Tora 18

Noragami Aragato 05

I was half tempted to just drop this when the cliffhanger being Yukine died was actually "no lol he just got stronger now and is DOUBLE SWORDS because Bleach is a good series we should emulate right?"

They even had the audacity to wait showing that after the OP, showing us Hiyori and Kazuma instead...and that was basically a copy of the previous' episode's first scene :/

Garo Something Moon Episode....god is this 4? We're really only four episodes into this?

Behold the great Hedgehog horror!

download_1.png

Doesn't it just make you tremble with fear/excitement?

K: Return of Kings Episode 5 Ken
CSlsmjZWcAAdSRU.png
CSlsmjcWEAAoNeo.png

The music in that scene made it even funnier than it already was lol. Shiro and Neko will never forget s1's beatdown.

Could have had a bit more action first half but still good since the preview suggests things will pick up. Pretty intriguing way to tie s1 to s2.

Have you DTL ever agreed with the death of some important character in any anime? You know people die in real life too.

Dying to protect your friend is tragic and painful. I think the same feelings the scene is trying to achieve can be earned by doing that but then showing them recover through willpower determination and faith a few moments later. Dying would only be agreeable if its a no main characters survives type of dark scenario, otherwise authors picking and choosing who lives and doesnt is odd, especially in action series.

pbayne

Noragami 5

Eh expected the ass pull. It was poor but its a shounen so what do you expect.

I was thinking this earlier but is Yato the biggest villain in Noragami? Seriously he's an asshole who jumps into fights at the slightest provaction when a simple conversation would usually resolve his problems. Not to mention he treated Yukine like shit for almost all of season 1. All of Yukine's problems could have been avoided if Yato warned him about the dangers of being a regalia but he never bother cause he's an ass.

Why people bitch about Yukine but love Yato is beyond me.

Noragami 5

Eh expected the ass pull. It was poor but its a shounen so what do you expect.

I was thinking this earlier but is Yato the biggest villain in Noragami? Seriously he's an asshole who jumps into fights at the slightest provaction when a simple conversation would usually resolve his problems. Not to mention he treated Yukine like shit for almost all of season 1. All of Yukine's problems could have been avoided if Yato warned him about the dangers of being a regalia but he never bother cause he's an ass.

Why people bitch about Yukine but love Yato is beyond me.

I'm not sure how Yato could have talked his way out of this when the plot was insistent on hitting Veena with the idiot stick at every opportunity.

Because Yukine always acts like a big baby, meanwhile Yato is just cool.

We're also not getting any proper background story concerning Yukine and why he's as angsty as he is. Since the first season Noragami always alluded to this probably sad backstory of his but even when his corruption became a major plotpoint, we still didn't get anything.

Ascheroth

Kagewani 2-5

Fuck the ocean.
This is some nice horror. Great atmosphere and everything. I love the artstyle and cutout-ish animation.

Will be interesting to see how Yamis Shibai will compare to this.

Cornbread78

One Week Friends ep.7-9
You know, I should really be hating this show from all this teanage angst the past few episodes and the MC not being able to admit his feelings and tell her how he feels and now a "rival" shows up from the past and screws everything up. However, even with that being said, I'm still enjoying this show and it plays off a delicate emotional edge pretty well. Only a couple episodes left, so I hope we get a decent conclusion. Oh and if the new guy steals or destroys the notebook, I'm gonna be pissed, because that would be sooo stereotypical....

We're also not getting any proper background story concerning Yukine and why he's as angsty as he is. Since the first season Noragami always alluded to this probably sad backstory of his but even when his corruption became a major plotpoint, we still didn't get anything.

He has no memories of his past. He is angsty because he is stuck being dead that was explorred in season 1.

pbayne

Dying to protect your friend is tragic and painful. I think the same feelings the scene is trying to achieve can be earned by doing that but then showing them recover through willpower determination and faith a few moments later. Dying would only be agreeable if its a no main characters survives type of dark scenario, otherwise authors picking and choosing who lives and doesnt is odd, especially in action series.

Id agree with DTL. You should avoid killing characters if at all possible (unless the gimmick of the show is killing people eg Future Diary.

I mean killing characters A, wastes the effort you put into building those characters up for the sake of cheap sympathy.B, It wastes any potential to tell future stories for that character. C, if it is necessary there needs to be a good follow up plan that takes into account all related characters reactions(most anime simply aren't well written enough to consider it). And lastly it pisses off the fans of the character killed off.

I think the problem with the noragami one is
it breaks the internal logic set down by the show. Which is kind of a fuck you to the veiwers that are paying attention.

Line_HTX

Don't watch it then?
Seriously, hate culture is worst culture.

And you are maybe approaching that age where you go out of Shonen. Get away, stay away, come back in 10 years, be a happier man. At least that was my cycle.

I also learned that people badmouthed Grand Budhapest Hotel so I learned that people are unreliable as shit in appreciating good cinema. Shit was magical and grand.

My apolgies if I came off as hating for the sake of hating. Thankfully I don't have that kind of cycle. My problem was a combination of changing tastes plus sick of Trigger overhype. Come on son, I'm not one of those people you think I am, and I don't like that culture either!! Also I was sort of being tongue in cheek with the sarcasm emote at the end.

GREAT TASTES there! I too, also loved Grand Budapest Hotel. One of those where I had to rewatch it again. I only know it got great reviews, so I don't know why anyone would badmouth that movie.

Shinmai Maou no Testament BURST - 04

What is the point of punishment if you get pleasure from it! Not to mention the outdated method of spanking.
The unexpected nature of the Demon realm was nice. Nothing I had in mind before this, but Maria x Kurumi is something I can get behind!

Chibi censoring was strong this episode, with a couple of new unanticipated faces.
Old Zest uniform > maid Zest.

Heavy Object 5

I appreciate the whole "engineering minds fuck yeah!" sentiment, but is the excessive fan service necessary? There's a whole scene the captain has her legs wide open and showing them her pantsu and these two guys are just drooling. It takes away from the show.

Ascheroth

Gintama - 293

Some nice Kondo developement with a handful of good laughs and some nice emotional moments. Felt kind of a like a middling episode, but even average Gintama episodes are still quite good.

And they should have switched the new ending and opening.

Fafner Exodus Episode 18
CSl4pNuWsAAmKYx.png

Every episode, Im basically like can Amaterasu (Kaburagi) and Akira survive please. Then all of a sudden we get Soushi and Kazuki friendship moments, which are lovely. Good balance and such for the action and drama.

I guess Canon wont really be coming back since the Gordian Crystal grew.

Quasar

So I got myself one of those new fangled AppleTV boxes and figured I'd comment on its anime support.

There is a Crunchyroll app, but it really is a lazy port of the old Crunchyroll channel. There is also a Animelab app, which is actually pretty decent aside from organisation which could be better I feel. There is no funimation app as yet. There are also apps for all the generalist places (Netflix, Hulu, Crackle).

Phatmac

Gintama - 293

Some nice Kondo developement with a handful of good laughs and some nice emotional moments. Felt kind of a like a middling episode, but even average Gintama episodes are still quite good.

Yeah it's strange but the ED is OP material. It was a heartfelt episode for thd gorilla.

Squishy3

Gintama - 293
Knowing them this is going to be a gag in the future, like halfway through it'll pause and say "Hey... doesn't this feel more like an ending sequence?" like when they managed to fuck up doing the OP events the one time.

Sky wizard academy 1-12

It's pretty rare I don't like a show I watch at all but really apart from like 1 character this anime is quite bad. If it would not have been on Funimation broadcast dub I probably wouldn't have watched it.

Quasar

So with Macross Delta soon I'm wanting to catchup/rewatch. So i'm wondering which bits are best to watch/skip and watch order.

I see some folks saying to skip Macross 2, and just watch Macross, Plus, 7, Frontier. Others say Macross, Do you remember love?, Zero, Plus, Macross II and skip the rest (which seems not useful with Delta following on from Frontier).

So with Macross Delta soon I'm wanting to catchup/rewatch. So i'm wondering which bits are best to watch/skip and watch order.

I see some folks saying to skip Macross 2, and just watch Macross, Plus, 7, Frontier. Others say Macross, Do you remember love?, Zero, Plus, Macross II and skip the rest (which seems not useful with Delta following on from Frontier).

Well how much time do you have and what have you already seen?

Macross 2 is terrible and not made by Kawamori. It's pretty much non-canon except for some jokes made at its expense in Macross 7. Do You Remember Love is excellent, though a lot of that is because of how it supplements the TV series. Macross 7 is a really entertaining ride, but it's also really long and doesn't have a good summary film. I wouldn't skip Frontier entirely, just watch the films which are better than the TV series anyway. Zero ties pretty heavily into Frontier.

Well, that Stan Lee narration was absolutely terrible.

Otherwise, the premise sounds pretty unimaginative and if I weren't aware of the high profile director I wouldn't care at all.

Yeah yeah, it was cheesy, but come on, it's Stan Lee comic book talk.

All I'm expecting this to be is a harmless, fun superhero show. That's all, really.

Just because a premise is unimaginative doesn't mean a good director can't make something good out of it.

Quasar

Well how much time do you have and what have you already seen?

Macross 2 is terrible and not made by Kawamori. It's pretty much non-canon except for some jokes made at its expense in Macross 7. Do You Remember Love is excellent, though a lot of that is because of how it supplements the TV series. Macross 7 is a really entertaining ride, but it's also really long and doesn't have a good summary film. I wouldn't skip Frontier entirely, just watch the films which are better than the TV series anyway.

I've seen Macross (and Robotech and if I'm honest the latter is more burned into my being), I've seen Plus, I've seen some of Frontier.

As for time I guess I've got till I can see Delta. Of course given Harmony Gold (fuck you) its unclear when/how I'll get to see Delta. And given the spotty nature of this season I have more time for rewatches.

Cornbread78

One Week Friends ep.10-END
Seriously, much better conclusion to the issues and ending than I thought there would be. It got pretty sad towards the end as you could feel the pain of the situation and how it affected the emotionally, but a nice conclusion to the story. Outside of romantically shipping the two, I'm glad they only focused on the friendship part and not on the awkward clove confessions. Either way, it was a good conclusion and a pretty good story.

JulianImp

The REFLECTION PV (The Stan Lee and Hiroshi Nagahama Project)

I don't really have much to make of this yet, but I'm curious to see where this goes.

Wait, was it Nagahama that was really into superhero stuff you guys were talking about a couple pages ago? I can't say much for what little we got in that PV (no animation and a meh narration by Stan Lee), but if that's the case I'm glad it happened, since I really like it when authors get the chance to go and do their dream projects, even if they aren't the kind of thing I'd actually want from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom