• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Young Blackjack 05

I'm with MPR, dropping it. The show is trying so hard to be all of these things, and none of them are catching my attention. At least when I stick to watching trashy shows there's an element of morbid curiosity to them.

With Young Blackjack it has been nothing but awkward discussion of ideologies and the topic of war has been a bit of a joke. The presentation for everything has been like spanish soap opera levels of DRAMA and I just can't do that.

I'm just not invested in anything from the show. Wish it the best of luck I'm audi.

I thought the whole point of the series though was for that campy kind of cheese where nothing is really explained + lots of drama turned up to 11/10.

I mean for the most part the show certainly isn't going to "House" levels of explanations on things like cerebral edema.

I'm just kind of moot on the series myself though cause I'm watching the 2007 version at the same time. Its essentially the same thing only more shirt wearing.

I thought the whole point of the series though was for that campy kind of cheese where nothing is really explained + lots of drama turned up to 11/10.

I mean for the most part the show certainly isn't going to "House" levels of explanations on things like cerebral edema.

I'm just kind of moot on the series myself though cause I'm watching the 2007 version at the same time. Its essentially the same thing only more shirt wearing.

If that's the whole point of the series then so be it, for people who have watched the show from the beginning they'll continue to enjoy it. But from the perspective who dropped in to give it a try now that the one element of the show that got me to quit early on is gone, it still has issues I can't live with as a newcomer.

Narag

Kagewani 5
lM0e9S6l.png
This particular ep was perfect for Halloween as it was far less strange or atmospheric horror and much, much more Hollywood-esque monster horror. If the director behind this has some sort of anime horror movie dream project tucked away on his bucket list, I hope he gets a shot at it because I fully believe he could deliver.

Mushishi 18
This was especially poignant in light of the Bob Ross twitch stream that preaches art as a liberating exercise for the imagination as opposed to all consuming soul crushing pursuit of artistry exhibited by Kai in this episode.

Space Adventure Cobra TV 21

There was this visual sophistication that I can't quite articulate going on with this episode. The action was so very, very cool and the last set piece was inventive with the use of color as sound successfully isolating Cobra from everything in his encounter.

Space Adventure Cobra TV 22
Pretty straightforward ep. Lots of nice Kanadaesque effects though.

Space Adventure Cobra TV 23
Another self-contained ep. By not writing much, I'm afraid I'll give off the sense that it wasn't good which isn't the case at all. The show's so consistently good that it's almost enough to spoil a person. It's easier to point out where the show exceeds this level of new normal than it is to go on about it being awesome yet again.

Young Black Jack 5
I can't blame anyone for dropping the show after this ep. Shit was a mess and the opening with Marine doctor claiming his skill over Blackjack interrupted the amazing intro to the setting. Shit was just a mess all over for the most part until coming together at the end when Hazama gets a lesson in humility. Looks like another Vietnam ep so maybe it'll all come together and this ep will just be a strange act II in retrospect.

Jarmel

Banned
Valkyrie Drive-1

Imaishi should be embarrassed that he didn't come up with this shit earlier. He should hang his head in shame and beg forgiveness.

How is the animation this good for something so unbelievable trashy? Also just straight lol at that sound direction, you can tell the sound team had fun messing with meat sounds.

Her last name literally being virgin, oh my god...

Noirulus

Fate Zero - 08 & 09

Sola-Ui = fucking psycho man. Is Lancer's life story recurring this war? From Kayneth's dream it seems that Lancer's master's wife was in love with him and they ran away together, which eventually resulted in his demise.

Show's getting slightly more interesting but it's still pretty average. Haven't seen him in a while, but (conjecture) what's gonna suck is seeing Kariya turn more and more fucked up and probably die despite the fact that he's the only human with an interesting background/goal. :( :( :( :( :(

At least Rider is still awesome. He's the cool ass older brother/dad figure that you'll never have.

Also just straight lol at that sound direction, you can tell the sound team had fun messing with meat sounds.

I want to hear how they made each sounds like with that Gears of War doc where they describe smashing watermelons to get the right pitch for the headshot sound

Although for Valkyrie Drive its prob just slapping meat together.

Jaxec

Tokyo Godfathers

It was my my first time watching a Satoshi Kon movie and it truly blew me away. This was such a masterful piece of animation. I found myself enjoying the characters more than I would have ever thought and I though the direction was absolutely wonderful. Throughout the movie I felt myself genuinely connecting with the characters as I learned more about the struggles and relationships. All in all I can truly say that I am glad to have given this film and chance and look forward to watching other works by Satoshi Kon. Anyone have any other recommendations for a Satoshi Kon film they enjoyed?

After finishing Tokyo Godfathers I was gonna go to sleep, but decided I'd at least watch one episode of Ping Pong and then call it a night, however.....

Ping Pong The Animation 1-3

Excuse my language, but HOLY CRAP! What the hell did I just get myself into. I heard this anime was really good, but like WOW. The animation, the characters, the development, the direction, the soundtrack.....everything just perfectly clicks for me. Only three episodes in and this is already blowing out a lot of this and last year's anime out of the water. One of my favorite moments was Smile vs Kong and the whole humming by Smile during their match. This show has done an extraordinary job with the background music like with the sound of ping pong balls hitting the table. This show just has so much style and substance that it's breathtaking. I don't think can stop now. All I can say for the next couple of episodes is

giphy.gif

Squishy3

Tokyo Godfathers

It was my my first time watching a Satoshi Kon movie and it truly blew me away. This was such a masterful piece of animation. I found myself enjoying the characters more than I would have ever thought and I though the direction was absolutely wonderful. Throughout the movie I felt myself genuinely connecting with the characters as I learned more about the struggles and relationships. All in all I can truly say that I am glad to have given this film and chance and look forward to watching other works by Satoshi Kon. Anyone have any other recommendations for a Satoshi Kon film they enjoyed?

After finishing Tokyo Godfathers I was gonna go to sleep, but decided I'd at least watch one episode of Ping Pong and then call it a night, however.....
Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress and Paprika are the other movies he's directed. He was also involved in the making of Paranoia Agent.

pbayne

Zeta Gundam 10-13

Are gundam protagonists ever likable? Amuro was bad but Jesus kamille is worse. Anytime someone tries to comfort him or give him advice he snaps, serious anger issues. I guess it is true to what a teenager would be like but its still hard to put up with. I really dislike that the show portrays kids as always right while most of the adults are wrong or incompetent. I know its a show aimed at kids but they don't have to be so blatant about it.

Flipped out when Kamille hit Quattro(the worlds worst disguised man), that's like an ant hitting a lion.

Still good show so far. Nice to see the original characters back too. Love that kind of continuity in shows. Kai went from a miserable bastard in the original to become one of the best characters in Zeta.

Sölf

Heavy Object 05
This show somehow just struck a nerv. I love the two leads. I just hope the main story gets some development soon. As diverse as the battles might be, if they just get from one battlefield to another it will get old fast. For a second time it was okay, now for a third... well, let's see if something happens that changes things up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the K-Ons visited London.
The Love Lives visited New York.
So where will the Euphoniums visit for their movie? Probably Moscow.

pbayne

Finished Princess Jellyfish

I enjoyed it but where is season 2? There are so many plot threads left open it does make the ending quite frustrating. Especially the 2 main romances in the show, I really want to see the conclusion to them, especially Shu and the honeytrap office lady, they were an amazing couple. A rare case were the secondary romance is way more enjoyable than the main one.

Escaflowne 2-4

Blown away by how fast this is going. Great cast, great setting and despite introducing a ton of concepts early on it never feels rushed. The only odd thing is how inconsequential the main character is at the moment. She has almost no role or agency in the plot it's quite weird.

L.O.R.D

Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 82

Epic reveal and plot twist in this episode
but...WTF with the animation in this episode ?
all i can see s still images moving around .. no actual animation

this episode is supposed to me very big , i am disappointed

Young Black Jack 05

Alright I'm done. Droppin this.

On the plus side i think this episode broke the record of most shirtless men in a scene. They even did some hardcore rope bondage

Young Blackjack 05

I'm with MPR, dropping it. The show is trying so hard to be all of these things, and none of them are catching my attention. At least when I stick to watching trashy shows there's an element of morbid curiosity to them.

With Young Blackjack it has been nothing but awkward discussion of ideologies and the topic of war has been a bit of a joke. The presentation for everything has been like spanish soap opera levels of DRAMA and I just can't do that.

I'm just not invested in anything from the show. Wish it the best of luck I'm audi.

I thought I was the only one dropping this show this season, everyone seemed okay with the show. But it was the same with me, last week out of nowhere I just wasn't feeling it anymore. The whole concept behind the show was super interesting, but in the end it wasn't enough for me.

Well there it is. It was so popular, it just made sense for this announcement to happen eventually. Now, next is Soma. That needs an announcement ASAP. It's been so hard not to just jump into the manga.

NeonZ

Knowing them this is going to be a gag in the future, like halfway through it'll pause and say "Hey... doesn't this feel more like an ending sequence?" like when they managed to fuck up doing the OP events the one time.

If it were the old anime staff I'd expect it, but the new staff has significantly reduced the number of anime-original meta jokes, even though there are still a few. I mean, we've only had one episode so far with one of those post-story 'we need to fill time' scenes. Most of the meta jokes added by the anime now don't seem to actually involve extra script, like op or ed modifications, alongside special soundtrack for some episodes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmmmm... Perhaps YBJ should be replaced with Perfect Insider judging by the recent view on both these shows.

e_i

Shimon Sample episode 4

So, the lead girls
fight for some reason
and sword girl is a
lolicon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hmmmm... Perhaps YBJ should be replaced with Perfect Insider judging by the recent view on both these shows.
There is no winning with either. YBJ is probably on the lowest rung of what I watched this season though. Has all the moral complexity you'd find from a still teething baby. Perfect Insider will probably pick more people up more people just because the overarching mystery will have people latch on to the show until the end, but it's not very good either. Honestly the first OP was fine...

Zeta Gundam 10-13

Are gundam protagonists ever likable? Amuro was bad but Jesus kamille is worse. Anytime someone tries to comfort him or give him advice he snaps, serious anger issues. I guess it is true to what a teenager would be like but its still hard to put up with. I really dislike that the show portrays kids as always right while most of the adults are wrong or incompetent. I know its a show aimed at kids but they don't have to be so blatant about it.

Flipped out when Kamille hit Quattro(the worlds worst disguised man), that's like an ant hitting a lion.

Still good show so far. Nice to see the original characters back too. Love that kind of continuity in shows. Kai went from a miserable bastard in the original to become one of the best characters in Zeta.

Gundam MCs that start off likeable are a rarity, sadly. Loran being an earnest, innocent, and not whiny kid in Turn A is one of the things that makes Turn A so refreshing in comparison to other Gundam shows.

Though where I am in Zeta right now (episode 25 IIRC) I'd say Kamille has gotten better.

Cool.

Deadly

Novel, not LN! Heretic!

And there's 3 books apparently so it's to be seen whether KyoAni makes a season for each or if they combine the latter two together.
My bad. Wasn't sure which it was and guess I went with the wrong one. Is it complete though? Yeah wiki says there's 3 novels + 1 side-story novel so far.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There is no winning with either. YBJ is probably on the lowest rung of what I watched this season though. Has all the moral complexity you'd find from a still teething baby. Perfect Insider will probably pick more people up more people just because the overarching mystery will have people latch on to the show until the end, but it's not very good either. Honestly the first OP was fine...
I always intended to change the OP to reflect what people were actually watching, so the change was not a result of people's complaints. Who knows, come the six week mark it may not be a case of which show should take the 16th slot, but perhaps we won't even need more than 12 slots.

Of course. The dangers of overuse are well known. Plus I'm watching Valkyrie Drive and there is no need for them there.
Well I guess it's too late for me.

We all know which show deserves the spot

HcnzsSu.jpg
It's already there. Annoyingly, the list is meant to be alphabetical, but I made the images using the Japanese title, Itoshi no Muco, before remembering Crunchy calls it Lovely Muuuuuuuco!. So technically it and Kagewani should be swapped round.

sonicmj1

The title of the movie is 『劇場版 響け!ユーフォニアム~北宇治高校吹奏楽部へようこそ~』 aka "Sound! Euphonium: Welcome to the Kitauji High School Concert Band", so I'm thinking it's a recap movie. It's also coming out before the second season.

Monster Strike Episode 5
CSqM5L6WEAA_NDe.png
CSqM5EbWoAA_wGm.png

Love the pinball aspect of it and how to do damage either from just a direct attack or continuing attacks from it bouncing from the walls. Oh well, coolest episode to air on Saturdays and this season.

Escaflowne 2-4

Blown away by how fast this is going. Great cast, great setting and despite introducing a ton of concepts early on it never feels rushed. The only odd thing is how inconsequential the main character is at the moment. She has almost no role or agency in the plot it's quite weird.

The interesting thing about Escaflowne is that is was meant to be 39 episodes (Even going back to Earth at one point) but due to losing a decent amount of their budget it had to be only 26 episodes. I think the show is better for it since it doesn't faff about and tells the story it wants to tell.

As for Hitomi, don't worry she'll become important quite soon.

I just want Monster on Bluray:(

We all do CreeperBlocks, we all do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom