• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seraph - 04:

This ep actually had pretty nice looking action. Hopefully quality doesn't fall off the cliff during later eps like with first season.

Shouta

Seraph S2 4

Damn nice to see Shinoa get told. I liked the action and I really liked that got their major weakness exposed.

Asterisk 5

Lot of introductions to various chars in the story in this ep but nice to finally get them on screen. It's surprisingly complex too, lol.

That fight between Kirin and Ayato was great. I kinda wish they didn't switch the screen to Julis and Yabuki during the fight but what we got was great. Nice to see some serious swordplay in an anime. I assume it'll be Kirin and Sasamiya as the pair for the tournament. Poor Lester, lol.

Rakudai 5

This episode was awful. Nothing happens to further the plot either until the end of the episode. Next ep should be good though.

Winner this week: Asterisk.

1446326366915p0uv9.jpg

Powerful stuff, and, yeah, the VA performance was even for Monogatari and Shaft standards quite stunning.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 5:

Good to know that the characters internally also hate those shitty and pointless starter side quests as well.

Cool for those who are fans of Euphonium getting a season 2.

However for me I'm meh on it as I didn't think the series was any good but that's just me. The only thing from KyoAni that keeps me interested is Full Metal Panic and the soon to be Silient Voice Movie from them.

Jaxec

Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 5

How can a show be so consistently on point? When I first started this anime I thought that it would only be the volleyball matches that would grab my attention, but the character dynamics and interactions are really great to watch. I find myself loving the characters and how they try to overcome their weaknesses. This episode was a little uncomfortable to watch because their fight felt so real to me. I also find myself really loving Yachi's character and even though the main focus of the fight was Hinata and Kageyama, I found her part made me the most emotionally especially when she runs out and tries to get help. Such an intense episode all around. I'm really rooting for these guys and feel as though I'm apart of their team. Come on guys you can do it!

rsz_haikyuu.jpg

Cornbread78

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You S2 ep. 6-9:

I let this one go for a while, but decided to finish it off this weekend. Between this and One Week Friends I've seen way too many man tears the past couple days.
These episodes have been the epitome of misunderstandings and poor communication as others keep butting into their relationship. I almost forgot how dense Sawako really was until all the side characters have reminded her and myself of it, lol.

jman2050

Owarimonogatari 5

I'm not sure who Sodachi's VA is but she completely knocked it out of the park. This show has a knack for 20 minute monologues that feel like they just fly by.

Can't wait to see how this story resolves.

Phatmac

So much tension in this episode between Hinata and the rest of the team. The moment Hinata tried to usurp the ace during the match was a surprise moment which began the battle of evolution or stability for the team. Both sides have their points but I'm with Hinata on this as the quick play can't be relied on anymore as it's been countered too many times. The fight scene between Hinata and Kageyama was so sad consider how strong their friendship has been from this point on. Hearing Yachi try and break up the fight with her weak pleas for help was so sad. Hopefully they make up soon as I hate seeing the ace duo fight so seriously. This so is just so amazing. Blows everything out of the water.
Don't wanna see my girl ever cry again. ;__;

World Trigger Episode 52
CSrgLjxXIAERj9R.png
CSrgLc-WsAkq0vq.png

Shun Midorikawa in fast food outfit was great. Silly original story otherwise. With this pacing I assume this filler is season is going to last quite a while.

Oh well all my favorites are getting tons of screentime, especially next episode.

Phatmac

If they show one more scene with a character inside a bath I think I'm gonna blow my brains out. This episode was terrible like most of the episodes besides the early ones. I'm honestly only watching this for Kuon and Haku and the mask guy. The new princess character has one of the most annoying voices I've heard I a while. Her quest for love was filled with terrible scenes that bored me. Is anything ever going to happen in this stupid show or are we going to go around in circles doing nothing? I should probably drop this but Kuon is too good.

Jarmel

Banned
So I decided to look up the art director for Utawarerumono as it looked really good for a White Fox show and it unsurprisingly turns out that the art director is the same as the one for The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Firemind

Cool for those who are fans of Euphonium getting a season 2.

However for me I'm meh on it as I didn't think the series was any good but that's just me. The only thing from KyoAni that keeps me interested is Full Metal Panic and the soon to be Silient Voice Movie from them.
Kyoani isn't making FMP s3 brah

So I decided to look up the art director for Utawarerumono as it looked really good for a White Fox show and it unsurprisingly turns out that the art director is the same as the one for The Devil is a Part-Timer.

If the art is as enjoyable as it was in The Devil is a Part-Timer, then that guy/lady should get more work.

Seraph of the End S2 Epsiode 4

Well, damn Seraph, how did you make me care about these idiots so much? Yuu has grown into a pretty likable strong lead. The kind that you actually root for.

Show looks pretty good to great at times, but I wouldn't recommend pausing during the action scenes. And that CG is rouuuuuuuuuugh.

Shin Sekai Yori - [Rewatch End]

I couldn't quite recall just how incredible strong this last episode actually is. Shin Sekai Yori is truly a masterpiece and I'd love to hand a 10/10 out to it, calling it near perfection.

Unfortunately I can't do that as, even though a show is never merely a sum of its parts, the production value just isn't there a bit too frequently, even in the BD version. The art direction does wonders for the SSY's visuals and there's plenty standout animation to be found, too. But there's also many low budget sequences, a bunch of CGI ones among them, which were simply off-putting in their ugliness. I'm a broken record in that regard but what could've been if the team working on this had a higher budget (thus indirectly more time and possibly additional animation talents)... *sigh*

Aside from the production values I have minor other qualms which I'd consider negligible though, and I'd imagine many of them stemmed from said issue to begin with. For instance, the excursion to Tokyo towards the end could've probably allowed for some pretty amazing looking background art and put the viewers in a bit more of an awe, thus alleviating some pacing issues you might feel because you aren't as 'taken in'/immersed. Sometimes the presentation simply isn't on par with the high quality content.

Well, enough of that topic.

This was my first rewatch of a major anime series and god damn if I didn't love it every bit as much the second time around. Doesn't matter who you are, I'll always recommend this title to you.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.4-5
Well, I'm glad I stuck with this one because it's pretty damn interesting to watch. I mean everything that happens and how they solve the battles are way over the top, but the characters are unique and the story is fun.

Quasar

Failed Knight 5 - Main relationship moves forward. Don't actually remember the big training group from the books. Dunno if thats my bad memory or an anime addition.

Man got back from Renfest exhausted. Gotta watch some quick anime for today before I go hang out with friends later tonight but thank god I'm not going to a party I'd be dead after tonight.

Line_HTX

Yes sir. Great fun. Ate loads of tasty food, watched shows, and had fun in my costume. I went as Jesus and people were stopping me every 5 seconds haha.

Was gonna go, but my friends and I decided to go next weekend instead. This rain was dumb.

Also, next week is Texans' bye week anyway.

I didn't know you lived here in H-Town.

Jarmel

Banned
Haikyuu 2-5
zmaKNZE.jpg

Kageyama displaying his bad tendencies too
I think it's clear Hinata is in the right on this as they're already getting stopped and the rest of the team is too afraid to take the plunge that they have to do. Right now the team is a one-trick pony and it's clear Hinata needs to take the next step. What I find fascinating about this is that Hinata does want to improve but the rest of the team is blocking him, which makes me wonder if he's going to practice with another setter for awhile.

This episode itself was insanely well directed and probably the most tense of any show I've seen this year.
That fight at the end was just so well animated and you could see the frustration on both of them.
The show is somehow surpassing the first season by a country mile. A first season that was already one of the best last year. The character drama is just simply great.

Was gonna go, but my friends and I decided to go next weekend instead. This rain was dumb.

Also, next week is Texans' bye week anyway.

I didn't know you lived here in H-Town.
Oh fo sho. Been in h town for ages now. And yeah we were debating going since rain predictions were all over the place. Two people in our group cancelled so it was 5 of us. Luckily it didn't rain and the upside is that it was cool the whole time since it was super cloudy. We got the score for the aggie game down there too.

I'm re-watching Stein's;Gate and some other older anime I love. It struck me that no anime has really entertained me the past few seasons. I liked Shimoneta and School Alive plenty, but they feel like exceptional minorities.

Going to start watching Owarimonogatari tonight, hope it can re-kindle my love for anime. Is this normal? Or am I just getting old?

Line_HTX

I'm re-watching Stein's;Gate and some other older anime I love. It struck me that no anime has really entertained me the past few seasons. I liked Shimoneta and School Alive plenty, but they feel like exceptional minorities.

Going to start watching Owarimonogatari tonight, hope it can re-kindle my love for anime. Is this normal? Or am I just getting old?

It's normal to have doubts. That said, Owarimonogatari is a good choice to start. It's fairly easy to follow.

Plus you get the best underclassman Ougi.

Asterisk 05

Pretty dope. More character and world building is always welcome since that is something that this show does well. The animation for the jumpy foxy girl was pretty good LOL. She kept dancing around as she spoke, but it was all quite fluid. Same with today's battle, that too looked good.

Cavalry 05

Well then LOL. This episode certainly went to places. I think this was just a break from the action to develop Ikki and Stella's relationship, the next few episodes should be more fighting.

Mailbox

It's normal. This year has been pretty dry outside some stuff that flew below people's radar.

Personally, stuff like Death parade, Ore monogatari, Non non Biyori repeat and currently Haiykuu S2 and owarimonogatari are great.

And while i don't have a good pulse on the sports anime scene, this seems to be a great year for that genre in general.

The problem is actually 2-fold this year:
1. The genres that tend to be favored aren't having a good year
2. despite some enjoyable or great stuff, this year has had some VERY BAD anime and the rest have been just south of mediocre.

yeah...

also:

Ushio and Tora Episode 18:

Okay, i actually figured out why i hate this arc. Its full of people making fucking horrible choices that just don't need to happen.

"Oh, we seem to be having no problem defeating this monster, time to sell my soul to gain power that i don't need......"

"Oh, i'm hanging from a ledge an i need to hold a comb? I guess i might as well let go and complain about how we need the comb instead of just holding that comb in my mouth and USING BOTH OF MY FUCKING HANDS"

"Oh mr.big bad is incapacitated and is just standing there. May as well just stand here and be super fucking slow instead of READING THE SITUATION AND FUCKING FINISHING THINGS."

This whole 2 episode arc is just annoyingly bad. Just.... ffs.

Seriously, I'm gonna keep saying this, Ushio and Tora is a show where you took a bunch of delicious ingrediants, decided to blend them, and came out with a clump mess that didn't taste bad, but you kinda expected wayyyyyy more.

In other news, i watched the first 2 seasons of Koroko's Basketball this week and after i finish the 3rd season, i'll give my impressions.

Fox318

Is there a list of films or shows where the English dub is worth checking out?

I feel filthy when watching a dub now. Subs have spoiled me.

Mailbox

-_- people really like hating dubs don't they.

Anywho, I've only ever seen Wolf children in english and thought the dub was ace.
The ghibli films have some weird stuff going on with how the actors handle lip syncing, but the dubs aren't bad. I've only ever watch the ghibli movie's dubbed as well.

Jarmel

Banned

Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Panic
I prefer the dub version of E7 but both are fine
Tenchi Muyo just for Ryoko, Aeka can jump in a pit in any language

Line_HTX

You feel filthy, huh? You're being purified. ;P

Metropolis, maybe? How about Summer Wars? Maybe Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya?

Ghost in the Shell is bettet dubbed.

Code Geass is a tie.

Edit: 1000% Cromartie High School in English. Especially the segment on Internet trolls.

Moaradin

There's a lot of pretty good dubs out there. I'm missing a bunch but here's some good ones:

Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho
FLCL
Eureka Seven
Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood
Space Dandy
Ghost in the Shell
Fate/Zero
Baccano
Steins;Gate
most of the Ghibli stuff

Cornbread78

Calvary ep.5
Ok, mostly a SoL type episode, but it allowed some relationship development with Ikki and Stella. The moment was funny as well as cute. Looks like next week will get devious with more battles.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Holy shit. This past episode of Haikyuu was incredible. It downright subverts expectations nearly every step of the way, culminating in the amazing late night gym scene. The acting, animation, directing, and the story is blowing away what I thought could be done with the medium. So good.

Cornbread78

Clannad's dub was pretty good. Toradora's dub was pretty good as well.

Eureka 7

Golden Boy has a good dub as well.

Utawarerumono 05

Haku just won't get a break lol. He kinda reminds me of Houtarou from Hyouka in a sense that he is smart, he can do a lot of things, but is super lazy and keeps being pushed around by others ahaha. This was another good episode, and the cast just seems to keep growing more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom