• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now comes the hard part of this season. Saving up all of the rest of Owarimonogatari for the end...

Would it be entitled of me to ask everyone in this thread to stop posting about it? Yes? Doh :[

Seraph of the End S2 - 04

The return of the glorious fist lady! Too bad her performance was on the short side of things.
Sort of satisfying seeing them getting vastly outplayed by the seniors. There were many moments that reinforced the fact that Yu has changed, and I still always expect him to fall back. Shinoa juking Yu's landing gave me a good chuckle.

Background Dump
ycTLrlW.jpg
oHVgLem.jpg
oPmAlag.jpg

Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign Episode 16 The Moon Demon's Orders

Yet another one of my favorite scenes completely altered for the anime, I dont understand the need to alter the punishment to what took place instead of what was in the manga. Otherwise great episode after that, Narumi was wonderful though a bit more serious and the big fight was quite epic (with that great vocal song too even).

Content wise were ch 25 of 37.

Qurupeke

Owarimonogatari 5
oBxx4ap.jpg

Oh we're almost at 90 degrees.
Quite a disturbing episode and it got heavy pretty quickly considering how cute the start was. It pretty much confirmed what we already knew, but from Oikura's point of view. Also, she was so creepy with all of these emotional shifts. She was angry, then she started speaking in a calm tone, then she was sad, then creepy again.

1 more episode for Sodachi Lost, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder what will follow now. I didn't understand well the part that they Araragi and Hanekawa kept asking about the locks but
did they mean that the mother actually died(or maybe had died long ago) and Oikura forgot it? This can be a nice but sad conclusion to their search for her.

javac

City Hunter 2 is the sequel to the hilarious and beloved City Hunter 1. City Hunter 2 takes everything that made the first such a smash hit and turns it up to eleven. The comedic elements continue to be as sharp, the music is still both fantastic and catchy and most importantly the characters are still the lovable bunch that they were the first time around. City Hunter 2 effortlessly keeps its audience hooked and entertained from start to finish as it presents the viewers with spectacle after spectacle and set piece after set piece with plenty of slower paced episodes in-between in order develop the story further. Each arc is elaborately orchestrated, embellished with twists and turns and revelations that are bound to keep you coming back for more and each character is further developed. From the fantastic Tsukasa Hojo designed characters to the striking Soundtrack, City Hunter 2 stands as a worthy sequel to the much loved City Hunter 1 and even trounces the original in multiple places. From longer arcs with many multi-episode stories to an assortment of memorable and iconic side characters with stories that you’ll never forget, CH2 is the best in its class. Aged like fine wine it’s as entertaining today as it was back in 1988. With plenty of laughs and tears along its 63 episodes duration, City Hunter 2 is everything that you’d want from a sequel and much, much more.

City Hunter 2 continues from where City Hunter 1 left off, albeit a few months later, and although this is an episodic series, the notion of continuity is an important element that makes and defines City Hunter as the amazing series that it is. The journey that you take with this incredible cast of characters creates a bond that is unparalleled. Not only do you care for each and every character, getting to know their likes and dislikes, their mannerisms become second nature to the viewer as you spend 63 hilarious and heartfelt episodes with this ensemble of misfits and they work day in and day out helping the people of Tokyo and keep the city clean.

The staff behind the scenes pretty much remains the same across the board. City Hunter 2 is animated by Studio Sunrise and released back in April 2nd 1988, 5 days after City Hunter 1 wrapped up and once again City Hunter 2 is directed by Kenji Kodama, the director of Detective Conan Case Closed. Similar to City Hunter 1, CH2 is an episodic series with each episode following a tried and tested formula. When people need help they come to Ryou Saeba, the lovable protagonist that sweeps in to save the day. With his .357 Magnum revolver and his ill-tempered sidekick Kaori Makimura by his side, they work together as partners in order to solve the problems that nobody else can as well as the jobs that nobody else wants. Of course it goes without saying that Ryou is still up to his mokkori tendencies and being a huge pervert that he is, his partner Kaori adorned with what can only be described as a huge anti-ecchi hammer does her best to keep his hands off their female clients and keep him in check.

Indeed most of their clients are female however many of the stories in CH2 mix the formula up a bit, some episodes focusing on Kaori, others on side characters and really it’s the depth and breadth of talent at play here that keeps you coming back for more. City Hunter 2 this time around comes packed with more variety across the board from the stories and the characters to the soundtrack. If watching CH2 was a chore, a monotonous experience then it would all just fall apart which really speaks as a testament to the writers here whom are able to conjure up storylines that keep the audience on the edge of their seats episode after episode and has them frothing at the mouth awaiting the next episode in order to find out what happens to their favorite anime duo.

If there’s one thing that bears repeating it’s that City Hunter not only has tact, but it has heart. The core of CH is the relationships between Ryou, Kaori and their clients and the way in which these relationships blossom as the episodes and sometimes the arc’s progress is what keeps you invested in these characters and their stories. The chemistry between the voice actors and actresses is downright tangible and the conviction packed into each and every line goes a long way in ingraining these characters into your mind. Each line is delivered naturally and as such I found myself becoming immersed in the daily lives of these otherwise fictional characters with ease. I’d gladly listen to Ryou and Kaori chatting to each other for hours on end.

Building upon the foundations set by its predecessor, City Hunter 2 furthers the character development and fleshes them out and as you learn more about the cast of CH2, you come to enjoy the show a lot more. The story isn’t revelatory or ground-breaking but it does add a lot to the heart and soul of the series. Ryou is a selfless man, a person who looks out for others whilst putting himself into the line of fire, figuratively as well as literally. Putting up a front of bravado, you learn more about the true Ryou and as his backstory is delved into further the character becomes more realized. It’s fair to say that these episodes were standouts for me and as the cast is thrown into the deep end more often, the writers are able to exercise their skills further. To emphasize, the backstory may seem like fluff but it is in fact complementary to the show itself and your enjoyment of CH2 as you get to know more about the cast a bit more increases. Through all of the bravado is a man who helps others with all sorts of personal matters and it’s this dynamic that makes CH2 such a fun and interesting show to watch. Part goofy and part sincere the writers straddle a fine line in balancing all of the elements which results in an engrossing experience, one which I found difficult to stop watching once I started. Going into CH2 fresh off of CH1 I was already inundated with the characters, already holding them in high regards however after CH2 it goes without saying that Ryou and Kaori are two of my favorite characters of all time. A plethora of elements go together in making them work, from the stunning designs by Hojo Tsukasa to the fantastic voice acting.

Visually City Hunter 2 is dripping with style, straight out of the 80’s it looks slick and unlike any show that I’ve seen. Characters are attractive to look at, adorned with fun garments from the era and fantastic hair styles, the backgrounds are similarly detailed making the city feel truly lived in which helps with the immersion. Each of the main characters have a trademark feature visually however each one of them still feels natural and realistic outside of the huge Umibozu whom is comically large which contrasts with his often timid nature. The style of CH2 starts with the multiple OP’s which do a perfect job of getting you into the correct mood. I found myself dancing to the music and becoming enamoured by the visuals all 63 times I was presented with the openings. Slick, stylish, bright and fun is how I’d describe the visuals. The action is dynamic and fun to watch and although CH2 won’t win any awards for cinematography it’s hard to complain with the results.

As with the visuals, the soundtrack for CH2 is a standout element that elevates the show to new heights. Fully embracing the 80’s, the soundtrack is energetic, exciting and an absolute joy to listen to. The music ranges from jazzy and eccentric to sombre and delicate with each track complimenting the tone of the show and more importantly the tone of the scene to great effect. Like with CH1 a few of the tracks are repeated throughout however that never really bothered me as each repeated track evolved into theme songs, often signalling what’s coming next. And like hearing the theme song for a super hero in a summer blockbuster, when you hear certain tracks you know that Ryou is here to kick some ass. Like with CH1, the way in which the OP’s and ED’s fade in and out seamlessly is a guilty pleasure of mine that I wish to see more of in anime series. You don’t often hear about shows like this getting praise for the music but the endless hours of listening to the soundtrack standalone is a testament to how good it truly is. The soundtrack gets you hyped, it gets you excited, it gets you emotional and it’s an absolute delight for the ears. From the vocal tracks by the fantastic PSY・S to the beautiful Momoko Kitadai and the assortment of instrumental tracks in between, it’s a fantastic soundtrack and among my favorite anime soundtracks of all time.

What makes CH2 work so well is the chemistry between each and every one of its finely tuned elements. All of it accumulates into a concoction of fun and excitement. The juxtaposition of each personality trait is utilized by the writers in order to balance all of the elements and it does so with finesse creating a show that hits all of the correct spots. The interaction between Ryou and Kaori is as endearing as it is vibrant and energetic. While they often treat each other with resentment, akin to a married couple, they bicker and shout at each other which parallels with the trust that they have for each other. In the end, what I mean to say is that each character interacts with each other in a realistic fashion and amidst all of the commotion is a love story. Nothing is what it seems in the world of City Hunter, where the neon lights glow bright and the skyscrapers pierce the skies.

City Hunter 2 is an emotional, funny and engrossing series. It’s a fun show, one that strives to make the audience laugh and have fun all the while dishing out heavy doses of drama and action. City Hunter 2 quite truthfully is a show that I often dreamt of watching for a long time, a perfect mix of drama and comedy it kept me entertained throughout all 63 action packed episodes. What started off with joyful laughs as I returned to the world of City Hunter ended in heartfelt tears as the cast bid adieu. It’s true, there’s more City Hunter content out there for the taking but regardless I won’t deny the empty space left within my heart after finishing CH2. I crave more, and this isn’t to say that CH2 fails to fill your appetite but that after getting a taste, nothing else tastes quite right.

Like City Hunter 1, CH2 is among my favorite anime series of all time. It entertained me for hours on end and never got old. At 63 episodes in length it’s a hefty series however I guarantee that by the end you’ll wish that there was more. Like a TV sitcom, the characters become a regular part of your routine and as each episode goes by, your love for the cast grows stronger. Regardless of its airing date CH2 has aged like fine wine but don’t let the bright and colorful 80’s aesthetic put you off. CH2 hits all of the right spots with each gag executed perfectly and the action as enthralling as ever. Truth be told, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better series to watch. The M&M’s marketing is as strong as it was the first go around and the girls are as beautiful as ever. City Hunter 2 delivered on all accounts as a phenomenal sequel and most importantly a must watch.

10/10

phaze

The REFLECTION PV (The Stan Lee and Hiroshi Nagahama Project)

I don't really have much to make of this yet, but I'm curious to see where this goes.

Cringe levels are through the roof. When following your dreams goes wrong ...

Obviously we'll see what comes out of it but there's a limit to how far good execution can uplift shitty premise and script.

----

On an unrelated note, Yuri Kuma Arashi's soundtrack is Fabulous Max. Even better than I remembered.

pbayne

The interesting thing about Escaflowne is that is was meant to be 39 episodes (Even going back to Earth at one point) but due to losing a decent amount of their budget it had to be only 26 episodes. I think the show is better for it since it doesn't faff about and tells the story it wants to tell.

As for Hitomi, don't worry she'll become important quite soon.

Yeah I really appreciate that it doesn't fuck about.

As for Hitomi I do like her but I really wish she didn't have the attitude of "oh I like this boy, now I like this one, now I like this other one." I know it's a shoujo trope but eh stick to one relationship.
Best guy Allen.

Defuser

Owarimonogatari ep 1 to 5
Godamm this show. Here I thought I was burned out by the monogatari series that I didn't watch Hanamonogatari but damn this latest season reminds me why its damn good. Oikura is so damn broken down but from what I watch Araragi is just a unfair target for her plight. Marina Inoue is fantastic for voicing Oikura from being hateful to pathetic self hating tones.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chivalry of a Failed Knight 4

Stella asks the important questions:

n9GFzGq.png

Lewd
hand-holding

I didn't watched Euphonium.

But I look forward to it coming back, raising Yuri hopes, and then watching them crash against the jagged rocks of the actual story.

Line_HTX

I didn't watched Euphonium.

But I look forward to it coming back, raising Yuri hopes, and then watching them crash against the jagged rocks of the actual story.

Can't stop Reina's advances to be the top solo trumpet at the next tournament.

Oh right, I completely forgot I reminded myself that Euphonium is Fighting Game Community the anime.

javac

Noticed that I hadn't done a review for CH2 so I threw something together. Better late than never, I think.

In other news.

SAILOR MOON Season 2 Set 2 Statement

We discovered an audio-visual issue with our recent release of SAILOR MOON Season 2 Set 2, located in episode 80, on disc #2 of both the Blu-ray/DVD combo and standard DVD editions. The issue does not affect the rest of the set.

We, along with legions of SAILOR MOON fans, were excited to see the latest adventures of the Sailor Guardians. We are deeply sorry for the issue.

We are working on a replacement solution for fans who have already purchased the set, and details will be announced as soon as possible. Updates will be posted here, as well as through social media:

Facebook: facebook.com/OfficialVIZMedia
Twitter: @VIZMedia and @Sailor_Moon_NA

Thank you for your patience while we work on a solution!
The VIZ Media Team
http://www.viz.com/node/1006268

NieA_7 Blu-ray BOX
Release Date: December 2nd 2015
Run Time: 305 minutes
Format: BD (Three Disc set)
Extras: NieA's Loco Soundtrack CD, Special Booklet
Price: ¥ 15,017 @ Amazon.jp
85D5YAy.jpg

The Twelve Kingdoms Blu-ray BOX
Release Date: November 26th 2015
Run Time: 1125 minutes
Format: BD (Ten Disc set)
Price: ¥ 30,033 @ Amazon.jp
ywo4nOX.jpg

One-Punch Man VOL 1 Limited Edition Blu-ray
Release Date: December 24th 2015
Run Time: 90 minutes (2 episodes (50 min) + OVA (about 10 minutes + extras about 30 minutes))
Format: BD (One Disc set (50GB))
Price:
Blu-ray / 7,000 yen (excluding tax)
DVD / 6,000 yen (excluding tax)
nypdZXX.png

Digimon Adventure tri. Chapter 1 Blu-ray
Release Date:
Theater Limited Edition: November 21st 2015
Retail Edition: December 18th 2015
Format: BD (One Disc set (50GB))
Extras:
Limited Edition: Paper sleeve & Chapter 1 poster
First Print: Transparent sleeve & digipak / Special booklet (16Pages)
Price:
Blu-ray / ¥ 8,000 ( excluding tax )
DVD / ¥7,000 (excluding tax)
Theater Limited Edition Blu-ray / ¥ 7,407 ( excluding tax )
Retail:
95ZdpO2.jpg

Theater Edition:
nwjBBxr.jpg

phaze

Owarimonogatari 05

Damn, maybe I was spoiled on this arc after all. ;(

Sodachi's past masterplan is still dumb as rocks but I apparently have the tendency to overestimate the capacity of kid's brains. Still hoping there will be some explanation for those memory gaps because with this new addition, they're even more ridiculous. Ougi's magic doesn't seem to be a reasonable explanation unless she has been around for much. much longer than I thought.

Owarimonogatari 05

For an episode in which one character as 90% of the lines it's important for the voice acting to be captivating and Oikura's VA did a fantastic job.

Yup. Even in a show like Mono, filled to the brim with memorable performances, it still managed to impress me.

Line_HTX

Owarimonogatari 05

Jesus Oikura makes Nadeko look stable. For an episode in which one character as 90% of the lines it's important for the voice acting to be captivating and Oikura's VA did a fantastic job.

No Ougi on Halloween tho

Sweet, I really liked that show so I am glad there will be more of it.

BOO, Halloween RUINED.

I don't remember what cartoon that is referencing. Felix the Cat?

Line_HTX

It's a nod to some Japanese snack I think, Araragi also has it in his hand.

It's called Umaibo.

Ahh, Ok. At first I thought it was some Doraemon thing because of Oikura's face on the left, but then I look at Hanekawa and Ougi and they almost look like variants of Felix the Cat.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Owarimonogatari 5

Quite a disturbing episode and it got heavy pretty quickly considering how cute the start was. It pretty much confirmed what we already knew, but from Oikura's point of view. Also, she was so creepy with all of these emotional shifts. She was angry, then she started speaking in a calm tone, then she was sad, then creepy again.

1 more episode for Sodachi Lost, if I'm not mistaken. I wonder what will follow now. I didn't understand well the part that they Araragi and Hanekawa kept asking about the locks but
did they mean that the mother actually died(or maybe had died long ago) and Oikura forgot it? This can be a nice but sad conclusion to their search for her.

I don't disagree with your guess other than the fact that there's no element to of oddities in it. I feel like this show has a way of applying them to the spotlight character's plight that twists the situation however this story so far has been way lacking in supernatural elements as far as Oikura is concerned leading me to believe we've yet to see the true master behind her despair just yet.

PK Gaming

Owarimonogatari ep 1 to 5
Godamm this show. Here I thought I was burned out by the monogatari series that I didn't watch Hanamonogatari but damn this latest season reminds me why its damn good. Oikura is so damn broken down but from what I watch Araragi is just a unfair target for her plight. Marina Inoue is fantastic for voicing Oikura from being hateful to pathetic self hating tones.

Yo I agree but go back and watch Hanamonogatari

Ascheroth

Young Black Jack - 05

Huh, after all those negative impressions I was prepared for the worst, but it was fine?
Wasn't really any different from the other episodes so far, so quite entertaining as far as I'm concerned.

Asterisk - 05

Expanding the scope again. I have to say, for a generic battle-school setting, it's quite complex actually. This episode we were introduced to (most of) the leaders (read student council presidents) of the different schools and they look like quite the interesting bunch. And then there is internal factions in those schools as well. Not to forget backdoor-deals and power struggles and everything.

Anyway, lots of character introductions this episode and establishing some power hierarchy and rivalries. Will be fun once the tournament starts.

I had to laugh when the researcher girl criticized Sayas weapon.
You're forced to deploy the Météo Arts non-stop to boost Lux output by pouring Prana into the Manadites.
Could have used a few more made up words in this sentence.

Kirins normal voice is a bit too cutesy-timid-shy but it's fine when she's serious. The duel between her and Ayato was fun, even though the circumstances were whatever.

A few other eyerollworthy moments here and there, but nothing too bad.

On the other hand...

Cavalry - 05

Note much to say except it was pretty boring for the most part tbh. I like that Ikki and Stella are dating, but man do I wish she would just shut up sometimes.
Didn't help that there wasn't any noteworthy action-scene either.

And god is Ikkis new 'title' stupid. He went from the 'Worst One' to 'Another One'.
Sometimes I seriously question the naming sense of some LN writers.

L.O.R.D

They introduced a male character and had the main character fall in love with him.

plot twist , he is not male
it's very obvious , just look at his lips , its shiny
beside , there is no such thing as "male" liberator

see episode 3 , lady lady they was sceptical of he was really a male

Phatmac

Damn was this episode dark. Sodachi's VA gave an incredible performance of showing how broken she was with how bad her childhood was. I've read stories about child abuse and it resonated with me especially the part where Sodachi hated being in such a nice home when in contrast to her own. I love that she said that she knows she isn't the only one who has dealt with a harsh upbringing yet felt her emotions rise as she saw how happy other families were. Hanekawa has really stolen the show with her retorts against people and her general attitude is better. Plus she's dealt with child abuse which was arguably worse. The locked door puzzle makes me think her mother is dead in the room somewhere hidden which would be fucked up. Hoping for the best.
Have SHAFT head tilts gone too far?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Haikyuu!! second season episode 5

This episode was tense as all hell, the team really felt uncomfortable with what happened.
But I do understand both sides here, both Hinatas desperation at getting better so he'll be of use to the team and Kageyama's decision to not let Hinata get the ball as at the moment Hinata can't do the quick he wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom