• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 46 (EngDub)

Unlike Vanguard s2 it seemed they decided to keep this whole thing from going to realm of the supernatural. At times it seemed like we would be close due to the DEPEND card stuff but since that didnt appear to even manifest itself, supernatural stuff was kept out of this whole anime. I enjoyed it
even if Kanzaki ended up riding a horse on the side of the building randomly

Dream cardfight next episode to close the season, I cant wait.
#TeamIbuki

No joke, I was in a class about Japanese popular culture and when my prof asked us who preferred dubs, I was the only one who raised my hand.

Dubs are fine. Its convenient to watch a show without having to constantly look at the subs. I watched S Cry Ed dubbed and just played a bunch of Binding of Isaac.

Jintor

i find it depends on the subject matter. I find it almost impossible to watch anything set in a Japanese High School that isn't in Japanese, for instance.

*Cromartie exception applies

Puruzi

Banned
Haikyuu S2 5

Actually an excellent episode. I don't like seeing those two fight, and I really don't like Yachi crying. The whole team is too scared, Hinata is right.

Haikyuu S2 5

Actually an excellent episode. I don't like seeing those two fight, and I really don't like Yachi crying. The whole team is too scared, Hinata is right.

I dont think they are scared, it seemed more like no one knows how to change for the better, or evolve and move beyond what theyve been doing as Coach Nekomata seemed to say when Lev blocked the quick strike.

Fate Zero S1 - 11

Only half way through this episode. The one where Gilgamesh, Saber, and Rider enjoy a conversation while drinking wine in a garden.

RIDER JUST SERVED SABER'S ASS ON A PLATE GODDAMN STAHP IT RIDER, SHE'S JUST A CHILD

My favourite episode in the whole show. Heck, it's one of my favourite anime episodes in general.

You can really feel Urobuchi's writing within Rider's words as he criticizes Saber's black-and-white ideals. That whole episode with that dialogue added a new layer of depth to his character.

And then that scene where he summons an entire army and freaking stampedes assassin with it. The music in that scene, oh MAN the music in that scene. So good.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Too bad Japan doesn't have Halloween. Would make some good thematic episodes like the Christmas episodes.

Baalzebup

Fate Zero S1 - 11

Only half way through this episode. The one where Gilgamesh, Saber, and Rider enjoy a conversation while drinking wine in a garden.

RIDER JUST SERVED SABER'S ASS ON A PLATE GODDAMN STAHP IT RIDER, SHE'S JUST A CHILD

That episode is absolutely stellar on multiple levels.

Mailbox

Speaking of dubbed scenes, here are some great ones from Clannad:

https://youtu.be/gsOxP15cOGw
https://youtu.be/vU-kLpjJ7NQ

*Major Clannad Spoiler* but hilarious.
https://youtu.be/TyEF28digak

Oh and I usually prefer subbed over dubbed because I feel the emotion in scenes is better captured by VA's in it's original language. That's all.

Okay, while the actual acting i good, why do they pronounce nagisa's name like that? Why put so much emphasis on the G when it should be on the A.

That was also the thing that bumped me about the FMP dub. Chidori's name is pronounce liked "Chiderie" which just felt all sorts of wrong.

Cornbread78

Utararerumonoep.5
Another week, another bath scene. I actually laughed more than I should have at this episode. It guess they wanted to introduce 2 new characters and do a little world building at the same time. I'll take it as fun for now and see where it goes. Haku could have a harem by now if they went that route, but there have been no relationship steps forward as they might make you think.

It was a show were dudes punched each other for little to no reason and there was a guy named Straight Cougar

Does he drive a Thundercougerfalconbird?

The Asterisk War Episode 4
download.png

Well, at least Claudia was cool...

Line_HTX

s-CRY-ed dub was great, especially Straight Cougar.

SHOCKING FIRST BULLET!

Normally I love dubs, but I hate the Clannad one. That and HOTD were ones where they screwed up.

JulianImp

Owarimonogatari - EP 5

Man, I agree that Oikura's VA did a stellar performance here, with a tone that showed her anger, sadness, frustration and exhasperation, but more importantly how she felt absolutely defeated by the situation she ended up in.

Something I love from Monogatari is that it doesn't abuse the crappy "drama into slapstick" formula that so many anime shows tend to spam to death. That trope is something I absolutely loathe since it feels incredibly patronizing, almost as if the scriptwriter said "they'll be feeling down from all this drama... I know, let's throw a quick joke to swing mood back the other way!". I can enjoy drama, comedy and even the occasional fanservice, but defusing tense situations with silly gags is a cop out for me.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next, since Oikura's character arc is certainly the darkest one I've watched so far. Something I like from the show is the overall theme I'm getting from it, which is that regardless of how much people around you might want to reach out and help you, ultimately the only person able to do something for you is yourself. Still, that doesn't mean that you've got to rely only on yourself, but rather that it's up to you to accept their advice and help if you consider it to be the right thing to do. The show's heavy focus on dialogue and introspection plays up this aspect, because it is through characters exchanging thoughts (sometimes concrete, sometimes loosely connected, and sometimes completely scattered) is what allows them to form concepts in their head, and use that new output to further develop themselves as characters.

Subete ga F ni naru - EP 4

This is another show I didn't have high expectations for but that I ended up really liking. The focus on a single mystery through the whole season allows the show to elaborate characters, situations, clues and red herrings in ways that serial mystery shows can't due to their extremely limited time budgets alloted per mystery (two or three episodes at best, most of the time).

Professor Magata having multiple-personalities is an interesting development that doesn't feel out of place, and it looks like we're getting a fair-play mystery, which makes it even more enjoyable. A weird theory I came up with is that
whoever killed her might've used her dismembered hands to fool the computer system somehow, and that Magata having worked on most of the code used by the computer system could've afforded her some advantages due to being a superadministrator (even though that'd be a plot point from where a deus ex machina could end up rearing its ugly head if it ended up beign use and was not detailed well enough beforehand). The reason I think her legs were torn apart from her body as well is twofold: one, to mask that the killer needed her hands in order to bypass the security systems; and two, in order to make it less obvious that her corpse had been put on top of the table-robot (since the wedding dress was long enough to cover most of the robot, but that would've been impossible had her legs still been in place).
I might be wrong since it's a very basic and early assumption, but I figured I might as well throw it out there.

pbayne

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You S2 ep. 6-9:

I let this one go for a while, but decided to finish it off this weekend. Between this and One Week Friends I've seen way too many man tears the past couple days.
These episodes have been the epitome of misunderstandings and poor communication as others keep butting into their relationship. I almost forgot how dense Sawako really was until all the side characters have reminded her and myself of it, lol.

Yeah it gets a bit ridiculous how long they stretch out the misunderstandings. I love both shows but its between Kimi no Todoke or Lovely Complex for the most artificially extended romances ever.

Mailbox

Yeah it gets a bit ridiculous how long they stretch out the misunderstandings. I love both shows but its between Kimi no Todoke or Lovely Complex for the most artificially extended romances ever.

While I really love the first season, I hate the second season of Kimi ni Todoke for its misunderstandings. Compared to the first season's drama moments, the second season was just so bad. Everyone acted so damn stupid.

As for Lovely Complex, as much as I like it, I hate Ootani. He's either being a dick, inconsiderate, or selfish.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Utawarerumono 5: Kind of a dull episode. Gotta build up that party tho.

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You S2 ep. 6-9:

I let this one go for a while, but decided to finish it off this weekend. Between this and One Week Friends I've seen way too many man tears the past couple days.
These episodes have been the epitome of misunderstandings and poor communication as others keep butting into their relationship. I almost forgot how dense Sawako really was until all the side characters have reminded her and myself of it, lol.
Reading this really makes me want to see your reaction to Maison Ikkoku and all its misunderstandings.

I havent been in the anime scene in years and for the past 2 weeks I have watched a disgusting amount. Its been largely a ton of fun though.

In my binge I was lucky enough to discover some gems that I would have ordinary never found, like Usagi Drop which I adored (and subsequently tainted when I read what happens in part 2 of the manga, UGH)

I even discovered I can totally get into sports, through the fantastic Haikyu followed by the less spectacular but consumable Korukos basketball.

That all said, I am sick and fucking tired of high school shit and 15 year olds. A few nights ago, I tired to start 2 animes I saw mentioned in here. I couldn't believe it when they literally both had the same scene within the first 5 minutes: A awesome new transfer student at a magical academy walks into the super talented girls room and catches her changing and they fight. Both girls are obviously princeses because of fucking course they are. When it happened the second time, I didn't even finish the episode.

That sent me to a dark place where i was way more cautuous trying new things, questioning it all. Its not like high school was the issue, as i loved Food Wars and remember liking stuff like blue exorsit back in the day, but man oh man, tropes are so fucking hard to swallow after consuming so much good stuff back to back to back.

Its largely why i found GATE so refreshing as having a show with (primarily) actual adults as protagonists seemed to fill a huge void. Are there any other shows like it that I'm missing? Currently, I am head over heels with noragami to give you an idea of what really works for me.

It doesnt have to be an adult MC, but just something that doesn't deal with teenage bushit or does so incredibly honestly.

I just know I'm missing out on some gems because I haven't branched out of my slect few streaming options, but I am totally happy to with a good recommendation.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.

Mailbox

Okay, actually I liked this episode.

I can understand people not like the dickwaving or the fact that they got out of the POW camp fairly easily or the (still) weirdly out of place Hazama fan service (I just think its so weird because I don't think of Hazama as a young bishonen, but as the original's slightly aged master surgeon, but hey, if you like it more power to you)

But yeah, the pacing structure was much more like the original blackjack rather than rushed like some of the other episodes ended up being. Kinda sad that they will be staying in Vietnam for the next episode.

Oh well, not quite as good as i thought episode 3 was, but was still a good episode.

That all said, I am sick and fucking tired of high school shit and 15 year olds. A few nights ago, I tired to start 2 animes I saw mentioned in here. I couldn't believe it when they literally both had the same scene within the first 5 minutes: A awesome new transfer student at a magical academy walks into the super talented girls room and catches her changing and they fight. Both girls are obviously princeses because of fucking course they are. When it happened the second time, I didn't even finish the episode.

That sent me to a dark place where i was way more cautuous trying new things, questioning it all. Its not like high school was the issue, as i loved Food Wars and remember liking stuff like blue exorsit back in the day, but man oh man, tropes are so fucking hard to swallow after consuming so much good stuff back to back to back.

Its largely why i found GATE so refreshing as having a show with (primarily) actual adults as protagonists seemed to fill a huge void. Are there any other shows like it that I'm missing? Currently, I am head over heels with noragami to give you an idea of what really works for me.

It doesnt have to be an adult MC, but just something that doesn't deal with teenage bushit or does so incredibly honestly.

I just know I'm missing out on some gems because I haven't branched out of my slect few streaming options, but I am totally happy to with a good recommendation.

Have you seen Fate/Zero? It sounds like what you're looking for, a good action show focused on adult characters. Or if you're looking for something more laid back, Space Brothers is an excellent show about adults.

Conan-san

Cavalry 05
I was begging to think that this episode would end with the entire school practising the on one leg thing by the end of the episode.

Is Matsuoka doing a the Otome Novel dood?

Also Alice is the best, every moment with them around is a treat. I get you're not supposed to pur the sister into this course of action but at this point I'm just interpreting it as her being a "bro" rather than doing anything malicious.

pbayne

I havent been in the anime scene in years and for the past 2 weeks I have watched a disgusting amount. Its been largely a ton of fun though.

In my binge I was lucky enough to discover some gems that I would have ordinary never found, like Usagi Drop which I adored (and subsequently tainted when I read what happens in part 2 of the manga, UGH)

I even discovered I can totally get into sports, through the fantastic Haikyu followed by the less spectacular but consumable Korukos basketball.

If you liked Usagi try Barakamon, Azumanga Diaoh or Non Non Biyori.

For good sports Ippo or Ping Pong.

For a good shounen like Noragami maybe try HuntertxHuntrer, Seven deadly sins or JoJo's Bizarre Adventures.

And based on what you don't like give most things based on light novel a wide berth.

Mailbox

As someone who binges to a very worrying degree, you can count on me :)

If you want semi-recent/ recent shows that deal with more serious adult themes (or at least don't focus on highschool romanticism) I would:

Highly Recommend:
-Death Parade
-Yona of the Dawn
-Mushishi (it got a second season)
-Shiki
-Watamote (good luck with this one)
-Servant x Service (its actually a sitcom about civil servants)
-Hunter x Hunter 2011 (it finished up in 2014 and turned out wonderfully)
-Barakamon (Hyper chill slice of life about a calligraphy artist on an island.)
-Non non byori (Hyper chill slice of life in the boonies)
-Silver spoon (yeah, its set in highschool, but its an agrecultural school and it focuses on that stuff more than highschool antics and bullshit.)
- Your lie in april (while its about middle schoolers you will probably be crying when you are done.)
- Fate/ Zero

Recommend, but they have problems:

- Plastic memories (It tries a lot, and works in some ways but there are way too many missing pieces in lore, story, etc to make it worthwhile)
- Parasyte (While I really enjoyed it, the music used and how fights are handled (and some character interactions) will rub people the wrong way. Also, the last episode straight up sucks.
- Tokyo Ghoul season 1 (I really enjoyed season 1, but the main character is really whiny. If you can get past that it quite enjoyable. Do no watch season 2)

Cavalry 5
It's filler episode day, that mean we finally get the kiss.
I do like how they moved the classroom act (where they try to gang up on Ikki) to here. It still makes coherence sense without cutting anything out.
And more hair down Stella please. I want more.

Asterisk 5
Wow! Everyone should watch this episode. For real.
Today we see wayyy better animation, both in normal scene and fighting scene. Was very pleased with the great animation in the fight scene with "Lighting something something".
l5e1i.jpg

yare yare danna.
Indeed Lester. Indeed.

Cornbread78

I havent been in the anime scene in years and for

Sounds like you need to watch the wonderful world of Clannad, which is based in HS, then Clannad After Story, which goes beyond. It's pretty long, but is a very memorible ride, like extremely memorible. For its genre, it's though of as one of the greatest ever by many. It's a definite, honest, life story with a lot of emotional moments packed onto it. Season 1 can drag a little, but After Story really makes up for it.

Also, Golden Time is held during college years, as well as, Nodame Cantabile. If you want something quicker Golden Boy is post college as well.. Fate Zero and Gangsta would also work as well, same for Log Horizon.

Oh Mailbox 's post reminded me that Barakamon and Plastic Memories are great picks as well.

Cross Ange, Sword Art Online aren't in school settings either. I love SAO, but it's got it share or stereotypical anime issues as well as Cross Ange, which is a great ecchi, trainwreck anime to watch, so bad that it's a good watch.

Oh and if you want to watch a good sports anime, I can't recommend Cross Game enough. It takes place during HS, but that really doesn't matter in regards to the story as those typical HS anime tropes aren't the focus at all.

fertygo

Haikyuu 2 - 05

Damn shit is so fucking good, see this is why I call "simple sport anime is shallow" argument is BS

Simply desire to win and being the best is fascinating drama material too, its every human desire to achieve something that they like the best its relatable reason. you don't always need mom reason to create good drama, that's BS.

Mailbox

2016 is looking like a great year

attack on titan

euriphonium

and most importantly

sword art online

I know people are gonna hate you for this post, but 2016 doesn't look half bad from what's announced so far.

New season of Magi (technically)
New season of 7 Deadly sins
Dimension W's PV looked really good
Boku dake ga Inai Machi sounds super cool
Gate's second season

Idk, i have high hopes for 2016
I will be disappointed. Oh well, more pain for me i guess :3

Cornbread78

I know people are gonna hate you for this post, but 2016 doesn't look half bad from what's announced so far.

New season of Magi (technically)
New season of 7 Deadly sins
Dimension W's PV looked really good
Boku dake ga Inai Machi sounds super cool
Gate's second season

Idk, i have high hopes for 2016
I will be disappointed. Oh well, more pain for me i guess :3

Don't sell S2 of Shirayuki-hime short either. It's second cour airs at the same time as Gate's.

Mailbox

LOL Clannad is one of the worst things you can recommend to someone fatigued with anime tropes.

Maybe Clannad, but after story goes in directions most anime never would.

The first season is very much arc based, trope filled harem-esque trope fun (though it does use the main character's own insecurities better than most anime)

But the second season takes that and then goes "but what would happen after that" and does it really well (until the last episode where the show literally ruins everything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom