• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
35th Failure Platoon Episode 4 -

This show is so bad lol. It is having the opposite issue most shows have, iit is skipping needed exposition.

Never seen Joshiraku mentioned in conversation.

You'd think that'd be gif central with its Hidemari Sketch vibe and Engaged to the Unidentified art style.

Joshiraku is good stuff, but it's not like either of the shows you mention besides having a predominantly female cast. The content is the cutting, sarcastic humor you'd expect from the SZS author, and the designs are the soft, gentle work you'd expect from Masayoshi Tanaka (Ano Hana).

TUSR

Banned
image.php

its been a long time

phaze

Concrete Revolution - 6
I am so confused.

Clearly, deep piece of work, picked up !

For real though, I can't peg reactions to this show in this thread, what's the consensus (hah) thrash or fairly decent/bearable ?

---

Funny to see Joshiraku mentioned as I've finished it's first ep just a while ago.

Tuck

For real though, I can't peg reactions to this show in this thread, what's the consensus (hah) thrash or fairly decent/bearable ?

I'm having trouble following the plot. Which for me is pretty unusual. I feel like I should stop and then just binge watch the episodes when its finished.

I think Concrete Revolution is pretty good, though it cant be watched lightly as it is piecing together a story using history and present time. Additionally it seems to be offering not just the story of Jiro but seemingly the story of public perception of the various supernatural entities.

Personally I really like the art and the mix of superheroes, monsters and general wackyness is what keeps me going.
The show has a lot of jumping back and forth between different points in time, which isn't really distinguished easily at first glance (besides the 42 SHINKA text or whatever) and can be tricky to remember the order of things.
It's kinda like we're doing a puzzle but various pieces are missing, and are slowly found throughout each new episode.

Mailbox

Lance n' Lolies episode 4-5

629.gif

Jesus christ. While this isn't the worst thing I have ever watched, it may be the most painful (outside of diabolik lovers or the first 2 episodes of dog and scissors).

I think the only 2 decent things about this show are the horse (to a degree) and how the main character realizes how stupid he acts when he's stoic. How he normally acts is shit though.

The writing and event progression are really really shit.

But... will it get worse? I have to know. I must know.
The power of morbid curiosity compels me to

I have to know. How bad is this anime really? How bad can it get?
I must know. I must D:

edit: wait wait wait wait. Why was the horse not a horse at the end of episode 5? She was just randomly human (not even interpretively human or with human emots, just human), and talking, and everyone understood her. WTF.

Thoraxes

If anything I can only see the derpy dude ending up with the lead girl. That's about it. The guy and girl in glasses are in a relationship already and there's like 0 focus on it too. I'm all for romance in anime, but Euphonium is interesting enough without too much of it.

It definitely does not need it at all. People that focus on something that won't ever be there are just watching it for the wrong reason.

Gvitor

One Punch Man 05

Mock battle was great. This is one consistent show so far. Even when it's not at its best, it's still entertaining.

Concrete Revolutio Episode 5
download.png

Awww, she's so desperate for that D.

I do understand the plot now I think, but boy is it raising other questions now.

Sterok

Aikatsu 157

Dolly Devil is for city girls? Which Nono and Risa are most decidedly not. VCP desperately trying not be replaced by a potato. Once again designers turn out to be the frustrating ones to work with. Please give a song other than Lucky Train next time. Preferably something new.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Samurai Flamenco END

Boy I was not expecting that kind of ending. So I guess everything is more or less fine.

One Punch Man 5

Saitama still ain't as fresh as his disciple Genos.

Cornbread78

Comet Lucifer ep.5
Wow, that was a great episode. Really good mech battle and excellent tone. I did laugh at the ep.6 reveal, it was straight out of the Eureka 7 book.

Mailbox

Comet Lucifer episode 5

Okay, that was a lot better than the previous couple of episodes.
The ending of this episode was quite interesting
If Felia using her powers causes accelerated aging and thus a shorter life span, that would be very interesting imo.

Action scenes were top notch and the 3d animation was as good as ever. I have noticed that this show seems to lack some animation in the 2d stuff, and this still maintains true for a few shots. You really feel that a few more frames could have been added, but for this episode, it wasn't a big deal.

No real high-jinx this episode, which is a welcome change. Not sure if i'd say it was as good as episode 1, but it was still good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I didn't think Free could get yaoibait-er but there you go.

Cornbread78

Kimi ni Todoke (From Me to You) S2 ep10-END
Ok, I concede. As painfully melodramatic and boring parts of S1 and S2 got, the ending did a great job of closing out the multiple characters and solidying and clarifying all the misunderstandings. It all played out really well

Mailbox

Beautiful Bones episode 4:

While i do appreciate the honesty in showing the main character having sexual feeling for Sakurako, him noticing any small amount of skin Sakurako just happens to show (which isn't much for that matter, this isn't an ecchi show in the slightest) has gotten creepy. I mean, it makes sense for someone his age, but come on man.

I liked the slower, calmer pace in this episode. This not being a 1 episode affair is a nice change of pace.

Art and animation are still great.

Narag

Mushishi 19
Beautiful ep that was never too far out there with the concept of the Mushi. Seeing Ginko rip Fuki's boyfriend a new one for not accepting her dwindling humanity was something else. Out of all that I'd seen thus far, I think I might tell people to watch this one to get a feel for the show and what it does. It's episodic enough to not have to worry about continuity and the concept of Ginko & the Mushi is reintroduced making this imminently accessible.

Mushishi 20
The interplay between Ginko and Tanyuu was beautiful, two souls with different yet similar burdens. She can't move her legs and he can never rest his for long due to their varying circumstances. Ginko's uniqueness as a Mushi-shi was reinforced as well when he was the only one that understood natural balance & co-eixistence whereas so many others simply saw them a pest to be removed. The moving text portraying the Mushi was wonderful as well.

Mushishi 21
Hardcore ep covering a very heavy topic. The notion of having to kill your child every three years is insane. I did not expect what happened midway through either. Holy shit.

Mushishi 22
I certainly didn't expect the concept of rebirth to be quite so literal. Entire ep was sureal in its approach to death as just another obstacle along the way rather than sort of finality.

Mushishi 23
Yeah, I haven't heard a scream in a show that anguished since Sochie in Turn A Gundam.

Mushishi 24
Really, it's astounding how unique Ginko is among Mushi-shi in his pursuit of balance versus the general reaction to eradicate. Glad this took the redemptive angle too as I was afraid Ginko was going to leave her to her fate if only for a moment.

Mushishi 25
I, uh, don't handle body horror in anime all that well and the episode's climax just sort of exemplified that.

Mushishi 26 FIN
It might be a bit before I get to more of the show as this episode was immensely satisfying as a finale, highlighting how the world moves on with or without Ginko but when he's nearby, it might move forward in a slightly more positive direction.

===

There's not a lot to be said about the show beyond it living up to the hype that people exhibited when speaking of it or attempting to sell me on it. It's, without a doubt, a reprieve to anyone tired of prevailing tropes in the medium with it's adult lead, masterful storytelling & direction, and ethereal nature. I'll admit, I may not have been so enthralled had I been younger and watching this but as it stands now, this stands tall as a representation as to what mature anime should actually be. Not guns, violence, and rape like people typically think of when the notion of mature anime is thrown about but excellent storytelling and realized characters in a world that's never quick to tell us too much instead leaving enough gaps to make us wonder just what the true nature of it entails.

I'll probably make another anime new year's resolution post next year and throw this in as a suggestion because, frankly, more people should check it out.

Hyoukokun

Just got caught up on The Perfect Insider. I can't help but think that there's a good reason why
they called out a lot of weirdness in Magata's living quarters. Why is there a reception room? Why are there two seats at the table in the kitchen?

Rampant speculation follows...

I suspect that she was not alone for a lot of her time in there. I'm also wondering about the strange airlock-esque double door setup for entering her rooms. What if her quarters - or at least the front room of them - can be moved or exchanged, like a big freight elevator?

Another really highly suspicious thing: they comment that Magata Shiki seems younger than her supposedly younger sister, Miki.

Maybe "she" actually is younger. With the developing creepy romance in the flashback scenes and the reference to 'descendants' at one point, I think that Shiki may have had a daughter with her lover. Assuming that her daughter was born near to or slightly after Shiki went into seclusion, she'd be ~15 years old.

This would neatly explain why there are amenities for multiple people in the rooms, and could also explain some of Shiki's apparent changes in behavior - perhaps it was not her on the video call, but her daughter...

sonicmj1

I watched episode 15 of Clannad: After Story, but I don't really want to watch any more of it. I guess it's time to get back to the other show I was in the middle of watching...

ARMORED TROOPER VOTOMS MOTHERFUCKER: 41-42

This is the start of the Quaint arc, which seems to be about Chirico uncovering the mysteries of an ancient civilization and discovering why he is the Chosen One.

I'm not a huge fan of this plot development generally (especially because all this stuff with Quaint feels like it comes more or less out of nowhere), but I do enjoy how they're developing it. The mystery builds in the contrast between what we see of how Quaintmen live and how people speak of their legacy and power. What the hell happened here? How could these people be such a threat that Chirico's pursuers aren't nuking him from orbit?

Anyway, it's nice being back in the gentle embrace of VOTOMS's gritty space noir jigoku. I wonder if and when Gotho and his pals will show up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom