• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, regarding Comet Lucifer, I'm a week behind, but I kinda spoiled myself on episode 5...

...You don't think they're really gonna go for a
love triangle now that she's older?

Because that would be the worst.

Mailbox

So, regarding Comet Lucifer, I'm a week behind, but I kinda spoiled myself on episode 5...

...You don't think they're really gonna go for a
love triangle now that she's older?

Because that would be the worst.

I expect that actually. But there is a way to pull it off properly.
If her powers are indeed linked to rapid aging and a shorter life span as a result it could be pulled off for a good emotional effect. The thing is, there is a lot of wiggle room where they can go from here on out without it being bad. Personally, i'd like it if they did the following:

Make the anime more and more serious as she grows older. I hope they don't keep her at the same age now, and she rapidly grows again. This way, the last 3 episodes of "happy fun times" is completely justifiable since its a reflection he Felia's current developmental state. Hell, in my perfect scenario, it would end with a downer ending where she dies (either through old age or through again too far by using her power) and the points that are constantly made about the "journey" that is constantly alluded to (though hasn't in the least been started yet) is not about a tangible story adventure but about life and how its fleeting or something something.

Honestly this anime has a lot of potential to be something great and metaphorical, but if past anime is any indication, this show won't use that potential and just try to pander to the lowest common denominator and just be disappointing.

edit: but so long as breadmilf gets more screen time who of us can complain?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think it'll be too simple for such a show. I'm thinking about:
What if Magata was pregnant (show implies really hard that she had sexual experience) when she was prisoned at this facility, but nobody knew about this fact? Then the killer is her own child (I can see her sacrificing herself for his/her freedom or other circumstances which led to her death). Then - all this setup wis wedding dress was for... - cause child was hiding under the table (He/she should be 14-15 years old right now, I think, so it's possible).
But may be I'm overthinking.
There are parts that indicate she might
have a child
. If she does it's the dead body or the little sister. The culprit still has to be in the facility and they aren't setting up a phantom or something so it's probably just the sister.

Mailbox

The perfect insider (episode 2-4)

Yeah, this is this season's Rokka (but with better production value). Things have gotten really interesting. I'm also really impressed with the very straightforward use of underage sex/ pedophilia and multiple personalities.

Its almost certain that these specific plot points will play much bigger roles later.

I'm all for the
Doctor having a daughter
theory, but that has one too many holes for that to be viable. I'm sure that might be part of it, but something needs to be added to it. idk.

I like this show

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 154:

Since the last episode was dedicated to a big pile of shit and also because we are dealing with Sailor Juipter and Sailor Venus and thus they get paired together in some fashion anyway, we have ourselves a dual power up episode. This time around Minako and Mako are cast as romantic rivals lusting after the same man, which is a plotline I am kind of surprised and kind of glad that the Sailor Moon show didn't use more of. I say this because watching the Sailor Guardians by way of the cast of Mean Girls is often painful and the wacky antics on display here can often get tedious. Though in keeping with the Dreams motif we do eventually get the serious hopes and dreams of the pair. Mako still dreams of becoming a bride and homemaker with a dash of florist on the side. Minako on the other hand has finally be given a gimmick makeover that matters as she finally gains her Manga counterpart's dreams and desires of becoming a pop idol. All and all not a bad set of focus episodes and it was nice for the guardians to actually get focus episodes. Mild recommendation to watch.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 155:

Welp, the focus episodes were nice while they lasted as we are back to dealing with randos and worse Chibi-Usa. Also, dear Sailor Moon properties, stop having Chibi-Usa desiring Mamoru in a carnal or even romantic way it is weird and creepy. This was so much more white noise I can barely comment on it anymore.

Jintor

OPM 5

that practice fight was almost everything i've ever dreamed of. I can't believe their animation quality has held up so well.

even that tiny moment like snek doing his shitty intimidation dance was really well animated

Allaur

There are parts that indicate she might
have a child
. If she does it's the dead body or the little sister. The culprit still has to be in the facility and they aren't setting up a phantom or something so it's probably just the sister.
i'm saying that
her child
can be a killer. Magata was imprisoned for 15 years (if i remember correctly) -
even if her child isn't genious as her, she had time to teach him/her a lot, then she sacrificed herself for his/her freedom
If it's a twist with a sister - how were they able to communicate? You think that Magata had internet access or something like that - it's hard to believe in it. And if she hadn't - how her not genious sister were able to do all this genious work?

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 4

Didn't want to post impressions for this until I had watched the other half of the two-parter. When I saw this last week, it was the best episode of the series so far. An actual episode which felt like it had enough context to stand on its own, and had lots of different interesting elements. There was also just enough teasing for the climax to feel like a cliffhanger, without feeling unsatisfying as an episode.

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 5

This on the other hand, was a hot mess. It falls back into the trap the series has where everyone seems to have ulterior motives and hidden agendas but the show doesn't want to let the audience in on any of it yet, so instead of feeling intriguing it feels like everything is random and jumbled. Without understanding motivations and context, there is really very little to enjoy other than the animation. A really poor follow up to the previous episode, and the "plan" that they came up with didn't even make a lick of sense. It just felt like shit they were doing for the sake of having really silly but well animated scenes. Meh.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Cinderella girls 18-20
I can't hate director Mishiro decision since her proposal is actually reasonable. Can't sustain business with idealism alone. Mio on the other hand, keep being the worst girl.

Qurupeke

First drop of the season:

One Punch Man

Over-hyped tripe that I was expecting it to be. Basically the SAO of the season.

I hope you're joking. I mean, I can see not liking it or being apathetic towards it, but comparing it to SAO is beyond simple hyperbole.

I'm beginning to suspect SliceSabre doesn't hate these things at all and just says that he does so he doesn't follow around with the hype crowd.

He does this with every big, hyped-up, really popular show watched in this thread.

TTGL, Jojo, Gintama, and now One Punch Man.

I'm beginning to suspect SliceSabre doesn't hate these things at all and just says that he does so he doesn't follow around with the hype crowd.

He does this with every big, hyped-up, really popular show watched in this thread.

Counter-point. I love the new gundam series and so does everyone else.

phaze

If you don't find OPM's brand of comedy amusing then all the good animation in the world isn't going to help. I don't really find his opinion that surprising or controversial.

Quasar

Heh. Basically all shows I skipped for either length reasons or not for me :)

Baalzebup

RIP
6274553eca4ca64fd417ad3a7d04a23b.jpg

JulianImp

So I've been watching Angel Beats for some reason (up to EP 4 so far) and man, the amount of slapstick "comedy" is really over the top. Also, Sawashiro's voice keeps following me around, even though she didn't get to stay around for more than a couple episodes here.

The bittersweet theme about people disappearing once they manage to account for things they wanted to do in life will obviously help with characterization, but I just can't forgive how the show chose to save the baseball guy from passing on by going slapstick mode and having the short girl grapple him into submission to get back at him... if anything, the scene looked like it'd lead to the MC jumping in to get it himself (and possibly failing), so I don't even see why the heck the little girl had to shop up and create a moronic comedic moment that wasn't even funny.

Cornbread78

So I've been watching Angel Beats for some reason (up to EP 4 so far) and man, the amount of slapstick "comedy" is really over the top. Also, Sawashiro's voice keeps following me around, even though she didn't get to stay around for more than a couple episodes here.

The bittersweet theme about people disappearing once they manage to account for things they wanted to do in life will obviously help with characterization, but I just can't forgive how the show chose to save the baseball guy from passing on by going slapstick mode and having the short girl grapple him into submission to get back at him... if anything, the scene looked like it'd lead to the MC jumping in to get it himself (and possibly failing), so I don't even see why the heck the little girl had to shop up and create a moronic comedic moment that wasn't even funny.

You haven't seen anything yet man. (wait, I think you know waay to much up to episode 4...) I loved Angel Beats and it's one of my favs, but does have a couple flaws that Maeda promised he would fix going into Charlotte (it still made me cry), but he didn't learn he lesson, he made a bigger one instead.... If he ever figured pacing out and just made these shows 24 episodes, instead of 13, watch out.

Oh, can someone post me a working link to Kyousougiga on Crunchyroll please? For some reason the mobile links never work correctly

JulianImp

You haven't seen anything yet man. (wait, I think you know waay to much up to episode 4...) I loved Angel Beats and it's one of my favs, but does have a couple flaws that Maeda promised he would fix going into Charlotte (it still made me cry), but he didn't learn he lesson, he made a bigger one instead.... If he ever figured pacing out and just made these shows 24 episodes, instead of 13, watch out.

The rules for disappearing from the afterlife appeared plainly obvious after how Sawashiro passed on as soon as she got to sing a new song on the acoustic guitar she adored, and how baseball guy felt really happy about being able to make the catch. Even the MC has figured it out by then since he runs up to the guy to try and stop him from getting over his lingering regret.

The way things are going, the choice about being stuck in the afterlife forever and hang out with friends or do what they wanted to do and pass on will probably be played up for lots drama later on, since with baseball guy it's obvious that the way to keep him around was to have him miss that catch and lose the game. Also, the MC's amnesia might mean that he could end up doing what'd obliterate him without realizing it if the show wanted to appeal to drama for the sake of drama, but I guess but it'd be okay if we got some hints about what his regret might be before then.

If my hypotheses end up being proven right, then I'd probably say that Maeda's writing here is a bit too obvious, but then again that'd be better than whatever mess Charlotte was supposed to be with all those plot twists and tone changes every two or so episodes after half a season of nothing actually happening.

Oh, can someone post me a working link to Kyousougiga on Crunchyroll please? For some reason the mobile links never work correctly

http://www.crunchyroll.com/kyousougiga

I expect that actually. But there is a way to pull it off properly.
If her powers are indeed linked to rapid aging and a shorter life span as a result it could be pulled off for a good emotional effect. The thing is, there is a lot of wiggle room where they can go from here on out without it being bad. Personally, i'd like it if they did the following:

Make the anime more and more serious as she grows older. I hope they don't keep her at the same age now, and she rapidly grows again. This way, the last 3 episodes of "happy fun times" is completely justifiable since its a reflection he Felia's current developmental state. Hell, in my perfect scenario, it would end with a downer ending where she dies (either through old age or through again too far by using her power) and the points that are constantly made about the "journey" that is constantly alluded to (though hasn't in the least been started yet) is not about a tangible story adventure but about life and how its fleeting or something something.

Honestly this anime has a lot of potential to be something great and metaphorical, but if past anime is any indication, this show won't use that potential and just try to pander to the lowest common denominator and just be disappointing.

edit: but so long as breadmilf gets more screen time who of us can complain?

I thought her line implied she can get older as she uses more powers but that it has happened before so she could also become younger again.

Cornbread78

The rules for disappearing from the afterlife appeared plainly obvious after how Sawashiro passed on as soon as she got to sing a new song on the acoustic guitar she adored, and how baseball guy felt really happy about being able to make the catch. Even the MC has figured it out by then since he runs up to the guy to try and stop him from getting over his lingering regret.

The way things are going, the choice about being stuck in the afterlife forever and hang out with friends or do what they wanted to do and pass on will probably be played up for lots drama later on, since with baseball guy it's obvious that the way to keep him around was to have him miss that catch and lose the game. Also, the MC's amnesia might mean that he could end up doing what'd obliterate him without realizing it if the show wanted to appeal to drama for the sake of drama, but I guess but it'd be okay if we got some hints about what his regret might be before then.

If my hypotheses end up being proven right, then I'd probably say that Maeda's writing here is a bit too obvious, but then again that'd be better than whatever mess Charlotte was supposed to be with all those plot twists and tone changes every two or so episodes after half a season of nothing actually happening.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/kyousougiga

Thanks for the link. Yeah, Angel Beats is much better that Charlotte and there are a lot of happenings later on and a lot of reveals to come. I'll read your post when your done before I comment further on the shows shortcomings, as it's better if you experience it organically. The show is still great despite that...

JCG

Diebuster - 4-6 END

XBzab5p.gif

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

THAT PLANET MOVING. THAT FINAL FORM NONO. THAT DOUBLE INAZUMA KICK.

THANK YOU NAMCO FOR PUTTING THIS SERIES IN SUPER ROBOT WARS Z3.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Diebuster is one of the few times I'd say a strictly unnecessary sequel managed to fully justify its own existence.

And just how that turned out actually contributed to the original, rather than detracting from it.

One Punch Man does strike me as the type of show that you watch till you get your fill.

It's a well made series, but it's also one that feels a bit too complacent.

Rainy Cocoa Season 2 Episode 5
Todays guest is Kindaichi (HQ) voice actor who appears to have no role in Rainy Cocoa. But good to see him and hear about the JPN belief in the power spots (and power spots for Fire). Didnt know that. Otherwise fun and games and insights

One Punch Man does strike me as the type of show that you watch till you get your fill.

It's a well made series, but it's also one that feels a bit too complacent.

The only anime I've liked this season is Ushio and Tora. Gangsta was a disappointment. I didn't like GATE. Maybe I should take a break from anime until Part 4 of JOJO comes out.

The only anime I've liked this season is Ushio and Tora. Gangsta was a disappointment. I didn't like GATE. Maybe I should take a break from anime until Part 4 of JOJO comes out.

You might want to check out the new Gundam if you like mecha anime.

It's well made, and the themes it's tackling are pretty rare in any medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom