• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder if that is assuming that any tv adaptation from being an inspiration from a film would automatically be a hit. If only Minority Report had that much recognition. And also havent primtetime tv shows of dinosaurs been kind of failures.
Fox made that dinosaur show that bombed. lol
Minority Report is just shit though.

First drop of the season:

One Punch Man

Over-hyped tripe that I was expecting it to be. Basically the SAO of the season.

I honestly can't blame you. The humor of the series really dries up as it progresses and characters themselves aren't really enough to keep you going. That's what happened to me when I read the manga because while it has a bit of plot it really isn't enough to warrant to continue imo. I mean yeah it's a gag series foremost but even the gag isn't good enough. However, I'm not trying to imply the series is terrible.

To cut it short Mob Psycho 100 is the better series from ONE.

JulianImp

Thanks for the link. Yeah, Angel Beats is much better that Charlotte and there are a lot of happenings later on and a lot of reveals to come. I'll read your post when your done before I comment further on the shows shortcomings, as it's better if you experience it organically. The show is still great despite that...

Watched a couple more episodes today in the morning, and I've got to say that the student counsel vice-pres arc getting fit into a single episode felt horribly rushed to me. In those 21 minutes, the show:
  • Presented a new antagonist in the student council vice-president, now turned president after Angel had to step down her position due to the gang's latest scheme
  • Made him into a violent, ruthless and threatening antagonist that was able to wipe the team out and confine Angel in a room he had been setting up since a long time ago
  • He used hypnosis to try and make the group's leader pass on against her will (mind rape much?)
  • Got to explain his sad and tragic past as the MC embraced him
  • Had a heel-face turn and joined the MC and the rest as a good guy
Like, seriously? The show could've fit his arc over three episodes at the very least, making it have much more emotional impact than the rapid succession of events we ended up getting. Sasuga Maeda, I guess...

Also, the show's a frontrunner in the slapstick department, sadly. No, repeatedly hurting characters or making them do stupid stuff for the funsies does not relieve me from stress after tense dramatic scenes, it just makes me want to punch the scriptwriter for abusing such a bad trope every other scene and forces me to drop my willing suspension of disbelief by reminding me that yes, drama is happening... but look, this guy's stupid!

The latest episode I watched had Angel get accepted into the MC's gang, helping them out and bonding further with him... but suddenly there's another Angel and she's beaten their leader up to show how much of a threat she is. Again, it feels like the show's rushing things a bit too much, since it kind of wants me to buy that Angel has bonded with and gotten used to her new friends in the span of a single episode, and now there's a new threat in order to stave off the boredom of the gang having recruited the only two antagonists the show had so far.

jediyoshi

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 01

WAlCwxI.png

Hold my things, I'm diving in

So I'm actually gonna give K-On! a try soon.

From what I've heard it seems to be mostly moe girls being moe and nothing much happening. Therefore I always figured I'd not find this enjoyable whatsoever.

However, since Hyouka is one of the best anime, Euphonium and Nichijou are pretty good too and K-On! is well regarded I'd figure I need to check it myself eventually.

If the characterization is strong I'd probably like it easily enough.

I've also heard that the second season is substantially better than the first, so if I'm just feeling alright with the first one I may steel keep at it. Am also intending to give Hidamari Sketch's 2nd season a go for the same reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've also heard that the second season is substantially better than the first, so if I'm just feeling alright with the first one I may steel keep at it. Am also intending to give Hidamari Sketch's 2nd season a go for the same reason.

The second season is when they actually try to make a show that's more than just a series of skits involving the girls doing moeblobby things.
Even the cash-in movie fits into the thematic continuity of the second season perfectly, which I think is worth of applause.

e_i

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 01

WAlCwxI.png

Hold my things, I'm diving in

Prism Illya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Every other Illya in the Fate universe.

TUSR

Banned
Prism Illya >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Every other Illya in the Fate universe.
isn't she dead in 90% of the fate universe

Cornbread78

OK, so make sure everyone that hasn;t watched it yet, jumps on board with the Kyousougiga LW.

with that being said, it's only 10 episodes, so I need to look forward to the next one in less than 2 weeks.

Does anyone know which of the Rozen Maiden shows to watch? The show is not gross loli, correct?

- Rozen Maiden (2013)
- Rozen Maiden: Traumend

Are they sequels or stand alone stories? Any other new recs?

pbayne

So Im on a movie kick..

Time of Eve

Pretty enjoyable with a surprising amount of heart, fun characters and some good laughs. Highlight was the conclusion of Tex's episode, absolutely blindsided by the feels. Provided an amazing joke as well with
"How did tex get up the steps"

The only complainants would be it's not really a movie, I know it's split into OVAs in some versions but there is no central plot just a collection of unrelated events. Also while it is a good piece of robot fiction, it brings nothing new to the table. I get that the genre has been mined hallow but eh its still a bit disappointing.

Hope it gets a sequel though.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 21

Oh shit. Got a little HxH 131 vibe from this one with
the whole using ones life energy stuff
, though it wasn't really on the same scale. When the eyes changed you knew shit was going down.
Also not sure if sameface syndrome, but it feels odd that the main bad guy looked like Yu with a different hairstyle, inb4 half siblings or something. I didn't see him vanquish on screen, so I'm assuming he's going to show up again.
Kinda annoyed at the length of time that the spooky guys didn't do anything against the girls, despite being next to them. This episode wasn't an exception to some cool effects.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
isn't she dead in 90% of the fate universe

I think she dies in every single one other than Prisma Illya. Not sure how she isn't dead in Prisma Illya either (I certainly haven't seen it).

JulianImp

I think she dies in every single one other than Prisma Illya. Not sure how she isn't dead in Prisma Illya either (I certainly haven't seen it).

Probably because the writers wanted to have one of the lead magical girls be an existing F/SN character to make it easier to market.

I watched the first three eps of S1 and it looked like little more than a boring magical girl show, but then I heard about S2, looked it up and...
lewd loli fanservice?
No thanks.

Jaxec

Ping Pong The Animation Episodes 4-11

Bravo. This was such a masterful series and I found myself falling in love with the characters. This show did in eleven episodes what other shows could never hope to do and that is offer such amazing and genuine character development.

Smile and Peco mesh so well together, despite being polar opposites. On one hand you have the robotic Smile who takes the role of the passive, quiet, and soft-spoken character. Conversely, Peco is the energetic, loud, and cocky character. They act as yin and yang of the series and while the main story is about these two, their friendship, and rivalry, it also takes the time to give the supporting characters their turn in the spotlight. All characters, whether it be the Wenge, Kazama, or Akuma, are dynamic and, as the series progresses, grow based on their experiences with ping pong. They are characters who come to realize their faults, and begin to instigate change to better themselves. To me this is such a rare occurrence in anime, yet Ping Pong is able to so beautifully execute it. I would have never thought that Wenge would end up becoming one of my favorite characters in any anime ever.

The soundtrack is another piece of excellence that shines throughout the series. The opening song perfectly sets the stage for each episode as it energizes the viewer and gets them ready for the matches to come. The ending song does a good job in closing out each episode and setting the scene by showing visuals of the town itself. Also I don't know if it was just me or did it seem like the ending was becoming less robotic as the series went on? The OST was phenomenal and beautifully uses background noise to deliver some memorable sounds.

The voice acting was superb and Kong's voice actor really gave an outstanding performance. It is a contributing factor in making Wenge such a remarkable character and it is so realistic. Another thing I ended up enjoying was Peco's voice, especially as the story was progressing. His enthusiasm and motivation perfectly comes off due in large part to the great good of his voice actor. Likewise, Smile's voice actor does an amazing job at giving life to his robotic nature.

This series has definitely earned a spot as one of my favorite anime ever and I got to thank Animegaf for getting me interested in it. I would always lurk around the forums and often saw the praise you all had for Ping Pong and that was what ultimately made me start the series. As thanks I leave you with one of my favorite moments from the series:

pd7Lxnw.gif

Patison

Higurashi S01

Really liked it! I thought that characters were interesting, with each one of them having secrets and I enjoyed overall atmosphere. Also that finale! Many questions were left unanswered, but then came the second season...

Higurashi Kai 1-11

...which is about 1000 times better. Art was improved, characters are way more fleshed out (Satoko arc is amazing, it gives me more feels than Clannad: After Story) and there are finally some answers. Pacing is also great - kinda slower, but you get to know everyone better, so eventual murders will have bigger impact and be more meaningful.

Just amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Probably because the writers wanted to have one of the lead magical girls be an existing F/SN character to make it easier to market.

I watched the first three eps of S1 and it looked like little more than a boring magical girl show, but then I heard about S2, looked it up and...
lewd loli fanservice?
No thanks.

I don't know what you expected. Cajun and that dude who was obsessed with HolyBaikal are both permed in part because they insisted on keeping up the conversation on Prisma Illiya.

Ace of the Diamond Second Season Episode 31
CS1a5OWWsAMqv0w.png

There are so many good Seidos, how can one just have one favorite.

Seiko seemed like a bad team but they have some pretty powerful folks. Im glad its not Eijun pitching as if one of his was hit, he would be crushed.

squadr0n

Ghost in the Shell The NEW Movie

This is the follow up to the 4 part series Gits Arise and let me just say that I loved it. You should rewatch the series before viewing, it really gives a much better appreciation of what they have done with Arise and the original movie.

Loved the bit at the end that really brings everything full circle.

Higurashi Kai 1-11

...which is about 1000 times better. Art was improved, characters are way more fleshed out (Satoko arc is amazing, it gives me more feels than Clannad: After Story) and there are finally some answers. Pacing is also great - kinda slower, but you get to know everyone better, so eventual murders will have bigger impact and be more meaningful.

Just amazing.

The funny thing about that arc is that it only came into being for the anime because the 3rd arc in the first season didn't include some important plot details like
the Yamainu killing anyone who survived the Hinamizawa disaster.

Line_HTX

Ahh yes, Kai was where they finally started answering the mysteries of the Curse and the town.

The only thing I was still confused about was what was the point of the final arc in the first season. It felt like it went nowhere and it was just a fight between two weapons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ghost in the Shell The NEW Movie

This is the follow up to the 4 part series Gits Arise and let me just say that I loved it. You should rewatch the series before viewing, it really gives a much better appreciation of what they have done with Arise and the original movie.

Loved the bit at the end that really brings everything full circle.
Oh is this the movie that was supposed to come out of the TV show they put together after cutting up the OVAs?

JulianImp

Higurashi S01

Really liked it! I thought that characters were interesting, with each one of them having secrets and I enjoyed overall atmosphere. Also that finale! Many questions were left unanswered, but then came the second season...

Higurashi Kai 1-11

Just amazing.

I've heard that several things were lost during the adaptation from VN to anime, but I'd agree that the Higurashi anime still manages to be quite good. The concept of having a time loop where each iteration is different and how each of them slowly fleshes characters out by revealing things about themselves that are constant across all realities was simply amazing for me, as well as how all those clues slowly worked towards revealing the core mystery.

I also really liked how the story started out like some generic romcom with Keiichi as the "protagonist" to fake the audience out, but Kai switches over to narrating things from Rika's perspective, who is revealed to be a way, way, way deeper and more interesting character than what she looked like at first. (very early Kai spoilers)
Thinking about a girl that is forced to relive the same time period where everybody around her ends up dying in horrible ways, and the fact that she's aware of all her past lives but is forced to keep pretending to be a cute little girl is really sad
(late Kai spoilers)
and then there's the way one part of her ends giving up on all the alternate realities to live life normally, while another part of her is stuck in those time loops forever, birthing Bernkastel (that might or might not be the same as the Witch of Miracles we later see in Umineko).

Then Umineko does it again, only it works on a completely different level by using a way larger cast and going very meta. I'd say Higurashi is a great mystery novel, but Umineko works better as a deconstruction of the genre that might or might not be a fair play mystery, which is something I liked way more despite how slow it started out.

phaze

Oh is this the movie that was supposed to come out of the TV show they put together after cutting up the OVAs?

I think the last two episodes of Alternative Architecture were supposed to be a setup of sorts for the movie. IIRC.

FLCL [rewatch]

Still great, still funny, still weird as F. I dare say I caught much more of the plot and underlying themes than on my first run (where even following the surface narrative could get confusing) though I wouldn't risk saying I fully "get it". But in particular, the character of Mamimi, her arc, her dynamics with Naota, Canti and Naota's brother is something I perceive much more clearly now.

From an animation standpoint this remains an absolute feast. The amount of care devoted to even small details is unholy, the fight sequences are unique and breathtaking while still managing to be hilarious and the small stylistic flourishes; ranging from South Park art to CG moments for 360 camera movement, only the underscore the general batshit insanity happening on the screen as well as the confident hand of the people at the helm of the project.

I'll probably rewatch the finale yet again but as of now, it struck me as being a bit too abrupt. Atomsk and Haruko get no closure and Naota's actions are awfully cryptic and
I'm not quite sure how to interpret his actions, especially as far as his feeling for Haruko are concerned. He goes from being submissive and love stricken to fighting against her. Only then to confess his love for her followed by not reacting at all when she invites him to go with her into space.

TOP 3 material easily. Someone needs to free Tsurumaki from the bondage of rebuilds.

Bakuman Ep 5 (Rewatch)
I love how often they do that, Ive still never seen how it is natural to do that in the real. Still Saiko does it the best followed by Shujin.

Bakurock is probably my favorite anime ending song for this, its perfect and the way it cuts in for the Two Earths cover, nice.

I almost forgot they did a baseball series premise, when will Ohba and Obata do baseball :(

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Can't hate kyoani when they did euphonium. Also, gotta praise Okada while we're at it since iron blood orphan is great (for now).

Phatmac

Fujoshi-targeted shows are fairly diverse, and a number of them end up being quite good. Chunni shows are almost always cringeworthy and a chore to watch.
True. I guess chunni stuff if done well is a guilty pleasure of mine. It being made by Kyoani is a big reason as to why I'll check it out. It could be terrible who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom