• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Next "Let's Watch" is now up:

d2qmbws.png

1a7g9dw.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=183877913#post183877913

Mandelbo

I haven't started watching any of the new shows this season. We're a couple of weeks in now, so what's the cream of the crop so far? I want to know what I should be watching whenever I get around to it.

phaze

I haven't started watching any of the new shows this season. We're a couple of weeks in now, so what's the cream of the crop so far? I want to know what I should be watching whenever I get around to it.

Owarimonogatari, Noragami Aragoto, One Punch Man.

Gundam seems to be well liked too.

e_i

yeah, bad deal...

She was also the VA for Lailah in Tales of Zestiria

SHHIITTTTT. I was just looking at her roles:

Sapphire from Prism Illya
Yoshinoya-sensei from Hidamari Sketch. Oh dear god, not Yoshinoya-sensei! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

One Punch Man does strike me as the type of show that you watch till you get your fill.

It's a well made series, but it's also one that feels a bit too complacent.

it's a type of anime you watch and continue to enjoy understanding it's gag anime first and foremost. Plus the long running plots haven't started yet.

"Complacent"? Could you unpack what you mean by that word?

Perhaps complacent isn't the right word, but One Punch Man may start to wear a bit thin when people want the story to actually kick in. Once the story kicks in, it's good.

But the humor of the show might have overstayed its welcome a bit by then. It feels a bit like the manga can't quite combine the joke of the series and actual plot all that well.

What themes?

A lot of shows just dip their toes into the idea of children being used by the previous generation, and the loss of innocence that typically follows.

Iron Blooded Orphans has a main character who is an child orphan who
shoots an unarmed defenseless man dead before he can even finish talking to him.

Sure it may not handle the idea with particular grace, this is Gundam after all, but still, few works actually really touch the theme with such gusto.

pbayne

Perfect Blue

That was an experience. I want to watch it again immediately. Even though I knew a lot about before watching I was still blown away, best horror anime I've seen hands down. Ill spoiler tag the rest in case anyone hasn't seen it but I'm sure a lot of the points I go across will be super obvious anyways.

Every scene and piece of dialouge in this movie needs to be scrutinized. First, if you like neatly told stories that have perfect conclusions this isn't the movie for you. Id compare to America Physco in that every time you watch it you'd probably notice new things and form different opinions each time.

The movie lays it on thick with the reflections, dreams, constant T.V monitors, photographs etc. It just bombards you with themes of representation, self-identity or identity construction. Every scene reinforces it, be it the Mima asking "who are you" constantly, the quick cuts between acted scenes vs non acted ones, even the opening scene which at first I though was just a goofy joke actually it summed up the movie when the boy says " It never looks as real as it does on T.V."

The underlying tension and horror really surprised me. I was legit terrified despite the fact for the first 40 minutes almost nothing actually horrifying happens. Just the tone, the music, the shadows everything was perfect. Even the idol groups songs had fucked up lyrics like "If you're loved in the end..be more aggressive" which eerily links to the rape scene. Thats the moment where the boundaries between whats real and what isn't become really hard to distinguish. The transition in that scene to "oh they're just acting" to "holy fuck whats happening here" is really disturbing.

The way the internet is used blew my mind, considering this is 1998. Despite how limited it is compared to the internet now, the way the movie uses it I've never seen a more terrifying depiction of it.

And Im still wrestling with the ending. What did the smile mean? Her first smile in the entire movie. Has she got her life back on track? Did her manager kill those people? Did anyone die? Was it all a show? Or a show within a show? Did she get hit by the truck and this is heaven?

Sorry if that was a bit rambly, but there's so much to take in and I still have so many conflicting opinions on what happened.

Perfect Blue
*snip*

Yeh, it's damn good.

Am actually not quite certain what to make of the very last moment either, though I'll rewatch the entire movie soon anyways.

For how damn well crafted this film is I thought that one of the sequences you mentioned was way too on the nose though.
The rape scene cutting to the Idols singing and audience being entranced/hyped up. That was a too direct "it's kinda like they're raping the idols with their fanatic fandom!" message.

pbayne

Yeh, it's damn good.

Am actually not quite certain what to make of the very last moment either, though I'll rewatch the entire movie soon anyways.

For how damn well crafted this film is I thought that one of the sequences you mentioned was way too on the nose though.
The rape scene cutting to the Idols singing and audience being entranced/hyped up. That was a too direct "it's kinda like they're raping the idols with their fanatic fandom!" message.

Yeah the show does beat you over the head with its themes at times.

I got the point of it but there was lot of "male gaze". Like holy shit an excessive amount of it.

Anyways, can't wait to watch Kon's other offerings.

Firemind

A lot of shows just dip their toes into the idea of children being used by the previous generation, and the loss of innocence that typically follows.

Iron Blooded Orphans has a main character who is an child orphan who
shoots an unarmed defenseless man dead before he can ever finish talking to him.

Sure it may not handle the idea with particular grace, this is Gundam after all, but still, few works actually really touch the theme with such gusto.
It's a Gundam show. Let's not pretend it's anything but a way to sell toys.

What's sadder? Trying to trot out a new Star Trek or a new FMP?

Probably Star Trek. lol

The new FMP anime is an adaptation of the remaining books in the novel series, thus concluding the narrative in animated form, something franchise fans have been asking for for a long time. So I don't think it's comparable to the new Star Trek TV series.

It's a Gundam show. Let's not pretend it's anything but a way to sell toys.

Well, you can say the same thing about most anime really. Most anime exists solely to sell manga/light novels, and the novelties associated with them.

I try to view anime in isolation, base it off its own merits. Yes, Gundam anime does exist primarily to sell toys, but that doesn't mean the narrative can't be enjoyable.

Or awful, as is often the case...

Firemind

Well, you can say the same thing about most anime really. Most anime exists solely to sell manga/light novels, and the novelties associated with them.

I try to view anime in isolation, base it off its own merits. Yes, Gundam anime does exist primarily to sell toys, but that doesn't mean the narrative can't be enjoyable.

Or awful, as is often the case...
Just become something exists to sell toys doesn't mean it can't have a decent story with themes and good character development.
I don't think the themes are anything special, but I haven't seen the newest episode yet. It's not like there haven't been Gundam protagonists as psychopaths before.

Also, it's amusing how Okada is being praised in this thread.

Perhaps complacent isn't the right word, but One Punch Man may start to wear a bit thin when people want the story to actually kick in. Once the story kicks in, it's good.

But the humor of the show might have overstayed its welcome a bit by then. It feels a bit like the manga can't quite combine the joke of the series and actual plot all that well.

It doesn't take that long for the plot to kick in. Once the Hero Association enters the picture, it gets pretty overarching plot-heavy.

I really, really don't know what people expect from One Punch Man. It's a gag series with almost zero overlying story and the main draw is the humor, or if you don't like the humor, the crazy action sequences that match up to Murata's amazing art.

Also the new Gundam series isn't super amazing. Much more competent at treading that same 30 year old ground then the last couple of shows sure.

What's sadder? Trying to trot out a new Star Trek or a new FMP?

Probably Star Trek. lol

Star Trek will probably be JJVerse garbage for babies so that

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The new FMP anime is an adaptation of the remaining books in the novel series, thus concluding the narrative in animated form, something franchise fans have been asking for for a long time. So I don't think it's comparable to the new Star Trek TV series.
Both seem like going to back to the well to me. lol

Star Trek will probably be JJVerse garbage for babies so that
Sexy 20-somethings playing teenagers at Starfleet Academy. Relationships, drama, love triangles and pon-farr!

Starmyu Episode 5

KENN (Toraishi) singing and dancing was the best. All of team Hiragi is wonderful and clearly the best thus far. Team Otori will really have to practice hard to get to their level. I have faith they wont be cut but they certainly wont be the best.

Love the background story for the musical about to be done.
CS0yYjgWIAEAc6b.png

Anything even remotely decent after G-Reco is like mana from heaven though.

If only the amazing art style and character designs were stuck on something that wasn't complete nonsense

Might as well not make anything that relies on previously existing IPs if that's the perspective you take.

Yeah, I find it weird people are shocked that Star Trek is getting a new TV series. Well, people were shocked Star Wars was getting more movies too. Like ??????????? of course they are everyone knows what Star Wars and Star Trek are

Also, it's amusing how Okada is being praised in this thread.

I'm still waiting for the moment Okada's version of Newtype magic gets introduced. That's usually the thing that really starts sending Gundam shows downhill.

But my point was that it's downright ignorant to say that a show can't be good just because it was made to sell toys.

G Gundam and Gundam Build Fighters S1 are fantastic shows with well-written characters. And the latter can basically be summed up as one giant Gundam commercial in general.

In a way, the fact that a giant commercial for Gundam products can be a better show than typical Gundam war stories is what really makes it exceptional considering what's usually expected of the franchise.

Gundam Build Fighters is so good I recommend it to those who dont even know anything about Gundam.

Firemind

I didn't say the show can't be good. I asked what themes the show explores. Themes that make it different from other Gundam shows, because as it is now, it's a show with Gundams and Gundam tropes.

I didn't say the show can't be good. I asked what themes the show explores. Themes that make it different from other Gundam shows, because as it is now, it's a show with Gundams and Gundam tropes.
Execution is far more important than uniqueness in determining quality. Literally everything has been done before by someone after all

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I find it weird people are shocked that Star Trek is getting a new TV series. Well, people were shocked Star Wars was getting more movies too. Like ??????????? of course they are everyone knows what Star Wars and Star Trek are
Star Trek is so dead though. it's a franchise that appeals to no one, especially since Star Wars is being whored out now.

Witch Hunter Robin 16

More questions with few answers in this episode, and not a whole lot going on either. We found out what happened with Robin after the end of last episode but otherwise a pretty meh episode overall.

Newtypes are a really, really cool idea that just turned into magic bullshit. Fuck you Char's Counterattack.

I thought how it was handled in CCA was alright. At least since it wasn't like something he consciously pulled out and used. Unicorn was definitely the worst offense though, and probably dropped my opinion of Unicorn a lot.

To Love Ru Darkness S2 11-14 END

Well now that Save 'n Quit got banned I have to watch through the lewdest part of the lewdest show. And by watch I mean scrub. Hint – It wasn’t worth it.

The fog from Silent Hill has gotten a new job since being disowned by Konami and the job is to follow Rito around and block half the screen at very convenient timings. Considering this is To Love Ru Darkness that happens about 25,647 times per episode. Oh, and there is almost decent fighting animation.

So this is 100% unwatchable without the BD version. When you compare this to Valkyrie Drive this just seems utterly puritan. They even censor panty shots. PANTY SHOTS! Truly, how shameless. Somewhere, Yabuki cries.

Star Trek is so dead though. it's a franchise that appeals to no one, especially since Star Wars is being whored out now.

It's the thing where people will go and see it because they know what it is. Like "Oh, Star Trek! Yes, I have indeed heard of that!"

And that's how Jurassic World made 500 billion dollars.

I thought how it was handled in CCA was alright. At least since it wasn't like something he consciously pulled out and used. Unicorn was definitely the worst offense though, and probably dropped my opinion of Unicorn a lot.

I tapped out when Newtypes were able to stop a massive meteor from destroying the Earth with the power of feelings

It's the thing where people will go and see it because they know what it is. Like "Oh, Star Trek! Yes, I have indeed heard of that!"

And that's how Jurassic World made 500 billion dollars.

I wonder if that is assuming that any tv adaptation from being an inspiration from a film would automatically be a hit. If only Minority Report had that much recognition. And also havent primtetime tv shows of dinosaurs been kind of failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom