• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I watched the ONAs and didn't care for them so I never bothered with the TV series.

I think that was my stance as well. Like there was something called "Kyousogiga" in my mind but it's just a jumble I remember some siblings and old people and reincarnations or whatever.

I think that was my stance as well. Like there was something called "Kyousogiga" in my mind but it's just a jumble I remember some siblings and old people and reincarnations or whatever.

I tend to mix the show up with Yozakura Quartet for whatever reason, probably because they were airing at the same time.

phaze

I don't think it's a convoluted show at all but after rewatching this first episode, I think I understand better why a significant chunk of people think the story gets increasingly messy in the second half.

I watched the ONAs and didn't care for them so I never bothered with the TV series.

The ONAs were necessarily constrained by it's run time and I dare say the first 6 episodes manage to expand on them very well. Not caring for them won't necessarily translate to disliking show proper.

[shill mode off]

Phatmac

Sad that Gintama is heading to an end game as I could watch it forever. Hopefully they'll animate the love potion and boyfriend arc. It all be another elaborate ruse like they usually do but probably not.

Well if you haven't seen the TV series version I highly recommend giving that a try, even if you didn't enjoy the other material (all of which is rated much lower than the TV show on MAL, which doesn't have to say anything but still).

I think it's one of the most well directed shows I've seen and I was quite surprised that I enjoyed the show this much when I usually can't stand shows with a sort of whimsical, (seemingly) loosely defined world.

Oda has confirmed that won't happen. And at the very least we know Oda's planned the ending since the very beginning

I dont understand how that is comforting. I would imagine most writers have an idea for how their story will end the second they start it. One Piece should have ended at the end of Goa Kingdom arc and had Sabo show up with a revived Ace holding the One Piece just as Luffy finished recovering.

Best jump endings have been naruto, katekyo hitman reborn, beelzebub and probably assassination classroom and haikyuu.

JulianImp

more momo means I'm satisfied

She's the main character in Darkness since Haruna and Lala barely show up, and episodes have her trying her best to have everybody fall for Rito. The Yami/Mea/Nemesis sub-plot is still the focus of the season though, so their interactions with the rest of the cast are also quite important for the story. One of the things I liked from Darkness compared to the first season (I skipped Motto outright) is that there is character development amidst the sea of lewdness.

...And I just realized I'm here discussing TLR's plot.
The other part would be too harenchi to discuss in here, anyway.

Time for a rewatch.

Getter Robo Armageddon - 1

I watched this 2 years ago, and at the time, I didn't really think all that much of it (other than really enjoying the last few episodes).

I figured I owe this a second viewing now that I've gotten myself familiar with the manga.

Oh man I forgot how good this looked.

Do we have any idea of when Hero Academia will air? Next season?

I dont remember any jump series being announced way far in advance, I would guess it is probably a spring series, since it seems their series follows a pattern of debuting two seasons later. [HQ announced in sept, debuted spring | kurobas announced in sept, debuted spring | assassination classroom announced in june, debuted january | world trigger announced in may, debuted october]

JulianImp

I care about the story in TLR.

Still, S1 was a mess where basically nothing relevant happened. Lala's malfunctioning inventions and Rito's reluctance to marry her could only carry the show so far, so it got really tiring after a while.

I'd still rate S1 above Nisekoi because screw that show (except for SHAFTisms), and Darkness has surprisingly high plot density for what began as a show with an excuse plot for lewd
(even though it still is little more than that).

JulianImp

Too much of it. The first season is full of awful angst.

Girl: "I guess this Yuuki Rito guy isn't as much of a pervert as I though he was..."
*conrtived coincidence that has the girl get in a very compromising position with Rito*
Girl: "...As if"

It's the tried-and-true slapstick routine, only with 32767% added lewd!

But yeah, even in Darkness Mea was walking friendless angst
that wanted to be licked
, and everybody kept worrying about whether others would accept them as they were. Then things get sorted out and everybody's happy, but next thing you know Yami goes extra-lewd mode because reasons.

Yeh the story in TLR:D is still utter garbage. It serves well enough as a setup for lewdicrous characters and situations but whenever this show tries to play its 'serious' story bits it just doesn't work.

Like who the fuck actually empathizes with Yami or any of the other 20 characters who go through the same angsty motions again and again.

JulianImp

Yeh the story in TLR:D is still utter garbage. It serves well enough as a setup for lewdicrous characters and situations but whenever this show tries to play its 'serious' story bits it just doesn't work.

Like who the fuck actually empathizes with Yami or any of the other 20 characters who go through the same angsty motions again and again.

Yeah, none of the characters are actually interesting anyway, but at least the plot works better as a device than "Lala invents X, X malfunctions, lewdness ensues" that was the sole basis for S1. Earlier on the show felt more like it had negative continuity, so adding character development in Darkness definitely helped make it more watchable (as filmsy an excuse as it might be).

Yeh.

I'm just always cautious when people talk about story in some of these ecchi anime. It's one thing if it serves it's purpose enough as a setup for lewd things. It's another thing to have an actually good story. I've heard people saying that they genuinely consider the likes of DxD or Highschool of the Dead to have 'a pretty good story actually. Like I'd watch it even with everything ecchi removed.'

That's where I want to slam the door of reality into their face. Just no. No they don't.

Cornbread78

Yeh.

I'm just always cautious when people talk about story in some of these ecchi anime. It's one thing if it serves it's purpose enough as a setup for lewd things. It's another thing to have an actually good story. I've heard people saying that they genuinely consider the likes of DxD or Highschool of the Dead to have 'a pretty good story actually. Like I'd watch it even with everything ecchi removed.'

That's where I want to slam the door of reality into their face. Just no. No they don't.

What's wrong with getting it on in the middle of a zombie invasion? I mean, even in From a New World they used sexuality as a means of stress relief in tough situations... I mean, even in that OVA on the beach with senpei... so yeah. that's it. It was a deeper plot line that we didn't think about previously...

well, now's your chance to jump in and experience the fll TV version. I mean, it's only 10 episodes over 10 days....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133594

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kyousougiga was not that good.

For me it was just too convoluted to keep track of.
I liked the stuff from the ONA that got borrowed early on. The TV series kind of dragged once it hit the midpoint until up near the finale, but I was glad to have watched the show afterwards for the pieces on the ends that sandwich all the nonsense. That show has a pretty strong climax.

If people want to go back and complain about stuff that didn't make the AOTY list for 2013 you've got a bunch of stuff like Love Lab, Yuyushiki, Yama no Susume, etc. not really cracking high on ratings. Like, not even missing top ten but like, mid 30s for Yuyushiki and past 50 for Yama no Susume. Also the OVA/Movie voting was pretty borked that year so stuff like Kick-Heart, Aura, and Death Billiards got virtually no recognition.

Ascheroth

Osomatsu-san - 05

Good episode. Jyushimatsu is gold. The first half was funny, the second half had feels. The ending joke was great.

Yeh.

I'd watch a Highschool DxD without ecchi.

Cornbread78

I wonder if I shoudl just let someone random pick the next "Let's Watch?" I just need to know which version of Rozen Maiden we should watch and if the show is even any good? There's no loli $hit, right??

Line_HTX

I wonder if I shoudl just let someone random pick the next "Let's Watch?" I just need to know which version of Rozen Maiden we should watch and if the show is even any good? There's no loli $hit, right??

There's none of that awful, abomination, atrocious shit, as it's just dolls, mystery, and some fighting, but if you want to watch it, just start from the very beginning.

After all, this is where I first heard of Miyukichi and Rie Tanaka.

There's none of that awful, abomination, atrocious shit, as it's just dolls, mystery, and some fighting, but if you want to watch it, just start from the very beginning.

Nah, start with Rozen Maiden 2013, you don't need to watch the other series, they aren't very good anyway.

There's nothing objectionable and you should start with the 2013 series. That one was excellent and one of the best shows of 2013. The first episode is an awkward summary of the manga events that came before it, but it gets you up to speed.

Cornbread78

After all, this is where I first heard of Miyukichi and Rie Tanaka.

Nah, start with Rozen Maiden 2013, you don't need to watch the other series, they aren't very good anyway.

There's nothing objectionable and you should start with the 2013 series. That one was excellent and one of the best shows of 2013. The first episode is an awkward summary of the manga events that came before it, but it gets you up to speed.

OK, Sounds good; TY. We should be all-set for the next month then...

At least the endgame is somewhat in sight maybe.

Hahaha no One Piece is at most 70% of the way done. If you take Dressrosa as being the Alabasta of the New World...

And One Piece does not end at the One Piece. There will be a final World Government confrontation after that, then an epilogue.

Well no matter what the One Piece turns out to be, I think we can all agree it will be disappointing and will piss people off. Nothing built up that much has a satisfying payoff.

Naw if Marineford is anything to go by Oda will deliver

Jesus I can imagine at the end Luffy turning to the others and saying "You know guys the One Piece dosen't matter. It was the journey that mattered."

People keep saying this even though Oda said that it was something physical over a decade ago

Edit: man it is fucking impossible to find that SBS via Googling since it just assumes you mean One Piece the series not OP the treasure

Edit 2: lol I dont think Oda ever said that and it was just a myth perpetrated by people (me included) for years. I'm an idiot

Anyway it is essentially impossible for One Piece to be "friendship" or "the journey" given what Whitebeard said about it.

Crocodile

Yeh.

While its true that most shows that lay on the fanserivce thick do so in place of interesting characters or a quality narrative, they aren't always mutually exclusive. I've never watched DxD and what I know about/have seen of HotD leads me to agree with you that the show has little value without its fanservice. However, perhaps the best example I can think of a show where the fanserivce is clearly a selling point but still stands on its own in other respects is Godannar. Lays on the fanservice real thick but even without it you have a legit good super robot show with great action (though it could have been better animated), a great soundtrack and tons of fun characters - especially the female cast. Yes, most of them have DD+ sized boobs but they still kick ass, take names and are actually characters and not just ciphers for the male cast as in so many ecchi anime.

pbayne

Millennium Actress

Seems a bit unfair to watch this so close after Perfect Blue, which is so tightly written and directed, and compare the two. I do think PB is the better film over all but this was a tour de force in its own right.

In terms of visuals and how cleverly they're echoed or mirrored throughout the movie that was breath-taking. The final sequence of Chiyoko running through different eras that begs to be watched again and again like 5cm per second's final montage scene.

Similar to PB, the lines between reality, acting, false memories is blurred but not as aggressively. Kon also seems very pro-feminist in his films as Id struggle to think of a more independent female protagonist than Chiyoko,
which makes her final moments even more poignant.

Cant wait to jump into Paprika which I've heard is his most "subversive" film.

Crocodile

Prison School is the best ecchi series of all time

Another good example. While its hard to imagine the show divorced from its perverted material since so much of the comedy and narrative is tied to it, the series isn't so highly praised just because of the jiggly bits. It's legit funny, has legit dramatic moments and many of the characters are a joy to read.

Though that is a show/manga I know NaDannMaGoGo is already familiar with.

Yeh Prison School is pretty much the sole exception that i know off. At least as far as the manga is concerned the content is actually so good that instead of 'giving in' to the lewdness, I was more keen on continuing reading. And that's despite being simultaneously the hottest manga/anime I've seen.

To my dismay it may also be the exception. Doesn't seem like there's anything like it, at least not with a similarly ridiculous premise/setting.

edit:

Knowing the ending now, it's impossible not to look at this stuff differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom