• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Negi had his entire class of some 20 girls, not counting his male admirers.

He kissed all of them to make magic cards to summon them in battle.

Edit: man it is fucking impossible to find that SBS via Googling since it just assumes you mean One Piece the series not OP the treasure

Edit 2: lol I dont think Oda ever said that and it was just a myth perpetrated by people (me included) for years. I'm an idiot

Anyway it is essentially impossible for One Piece to be "friendship" or "the journey" given what Whitebeard said about it.

It wasn't an SBS. He was visiting the house of Momoka Sakura (author of chibi Maruko-chan) and when she asked if One Piece was some intangible bullshit like friendship, He said no.

JulianImp

Obviously the best

So Monogatari

FTFY, even though I believe Monogatari isn't a harem series as much as it is a deconstruction of the genre. Sure there's a single young male character surrounded by girls (and Ougi) and there's a fair share of fanservice scattered around (especially during Nise and anything involving black Hanekawa), but the main point of the show is lots and lots of dialogue that leads to character development, and not seeing who Aragi ends up with (ep 2 spoilers:
it's Gahara
).

Jarmel

Banned
I recall the Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari (Tenchi spinoff) harem being ridiculously large, like hundreds of women.

I forgot about that part of Isekai but I feel like most of those characters were just general background characters. To be part of the actual harem, you gotta be at least named and present for more than one episode.

Taruranto

Aha yup. Her and Hinata would make a good couple not gonna lie. Their personalities seem to align pretty well.

Hinata already has a girlfriend, are you watching the show

bh8njQe.jpg

I believe Monogatari isn't a harem series

5yb26XT.jpg

JulianImp

The only harem shows I remember watching are Monogatari, Nisekoi and TLR. Nise got on my nerves with how it was only about keeping the status quo intact forever and nothing actually happened in the series, and TLR wasn't any better.

Regarding romantic shows, I'd rather watch ones where the plot does go somewhere, such as Kids on the Slope or Maiden of Dusk.

Oh, and talking about that...

Angel Beats (up to EP 10)
Sorry show, but you're so ham-fisted when it comes to trying to make me care for the characters that I just can't. The attack of the (Angel) clones was a pain to watch since the show felt like it just had to redo the whole Guild sequence, only with clones that'd hold someone back instead of deathtraps.

Then the episode that was devoted to Yui felt like a waste because I don't remember the show even hinting at her past or motives before then, when it tried to make me cry for the little girl that was paralyzed and bedridden since she was young and just wanted to go out and do stuff. She had been an annoying brat the whole time, only to become a somewhat decent character minutes before disappearing off the face of the show.

Then there was the whole remembrance about how Otonashi had actually died, which again I don't remember the show even hinting at before. The way the show kept reusing the same boring gags for each character rather than slowly but surely hinting at later elements was a pain, and the only time things related to characters are ever conveyed is when they're immediately required for the plot thread at hand, which feels overly obvious and somewhat lazy.

Now there's a traitor among them that's hacking into the NPC's programming and using them to assimilate people that still have a will, which again has to get solved in one or two episodes, hurting the impact and relevance of the arc when it has to be rushed like all the other arcs.

Quasar

Yeh.

I'm just always cautious when people talk about story in some of these ecchi anime. It's one thing if it serves it's purpose enough as a setup for lewd things. It's another thing to have an actually good story. I've heard people saying that they genuinely consider the likes of DxD or Highschool of the Dead to have 'a pretty good story actually. Like I'd watch it even with everything ecchi removed.'

That's where I want to slam the door of reality into their face. Just no. No they don't.

Well I am and prefer the DxD books, and a lot of that is worldbuilding and plot.

JulianImp

Would it have hurt you too much to read the whole sentence? I believe Monogatari isn't a harem series as much as it is a deconstruction of the genre.

Monogatari deconstructs the harem genre by making the characters relevant, rather than girls who exist for the sole purpose of satisfying a generic love interest stereotype. Senjougahara is a rare tsundere that actually begins acting more dere as she warms up to Arararagi, unlike 99% of tsunderes who keep doing the same boring "It's not like I did that for you. Baka!" act the whole time. The same also happens to Nadeko, who looks like the most generic moe moe kyun girl ever but later the show explores just how twisted someone might end up being by having everybody treating her well even when they shouldn't because of her cuteness.

Ascheroth

Haikyuu!! - 20

Looks like I stopped right in the middle of the Aobajousai match, lol.
I forgot how fun this show and its characters are.

Fafner - Dead Aggressor - 10 (not the new one)

This is always a bit difficult, because I'm reaaaaally slow when it comes to watching this show.
This episode was kind of a breather from all the despair, but of course there were lots of depressing undertones here and there.
Souji being
blind on one eye and it being Kazukis fault
caught me by surprise, but I'm not sure if it wasn't mentioned earlier.
Talking about surprsises, so were the crystals at the end. I'm curious about what's going on there and about finally seeing the outside world, which they spent lots of time mentioning.

Honestly, I just want a nice harem anime.

The kind of harem anime that's not about a bunch of girls tripping over each other for a guy.

The kind of harem anime that is fun to watch and has energy, but is not necessarily dramatic.

The kind of harem anime that doesn't constantly throw ecchi situations and fanservice at the screen.

I know that the above three are pretty much the core basis for 95% of harem shows, but is it really too much to ask for an anime where a guy is friends with a bunch of girls and they're all just total bros with each other?

The closest anime that's matched that description for me was Acchi Kocchi.

The kind of harem anime that's not about a bunch of girls tripping over each other for a guy.

The kind of harem anime that is fun to watch and has energy, but is not necessarily dramatic.

The kind of harem anime that doesn't constantly throw ecchi situations and fanservice at the screen.

I know that the above three are pretty much the core basis for 95% of harem shows, but is it really too much to ask for an anime where a guy is friends with a bunch of girls and they're all just total bros with each other?

But... But the internet says that men and women can't be friends!

Not against your point at all. I mean everyone knows I like my romance, but there are times in which all a show becomes is a competition between the girls for that one guy, and really the guy isn't even anything special.

That would be cancelled in under a year

phaze

Toradora. (I dunno about not being dramatic though.)

And Monogatari*

It's not fanservice, it's art.

Ascheroth

I don't remember if you watched it or not, but I think Shokugeki no Soma would fit the description, though it's no harem (or maybe exactly because it's no harem, haha)
Soma is friends with a lot of girls, but there is no romantic interest going on with most of them, they are just that - friends.
It does have fanservice, but mainly with the food reactions and since that is purely imagination it avoids shitty generic fanserivice situations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So the Nagato Yuki OVA is a second "Endless Eight" episode. That's a cute way to "troll" people I suppose. lol

I wish someone would make something as audacious as Endless Eight these days. It really was the most exciting use of the medium and still really hasn't been topped.

I don't remember if you watched it or not, but I think Shokugeki no Soma would fit the description, though it's no harem (or maybe exactly because it's no harem, haha)
Soma is friends with a lot of girls, but there is no romantic interest going on with most of them, they are just that - friends.
It does have fanservice, but mainly with the food reactions and since that is purely imagination it avoids shitty generic fanserivice situations.

Yeah, something like the Soma crew! Oh man I really need to finish that.

That show was so good.

Soma will have like 3 max

2 actually because Meat doesn't fucking matter.

Cornbread78

Is This a Zombie isn't that bad of a harem. It's a lot more fun than frustrating and the girls pick on and beat up the MC a lot, lol.

Campione! has a good harem as well.

So the Nagato Yuki OVA is a second "Endless Eight" episode. That's a cute way to "troll" people I suppose. lol

I wish someone would make something as audacious as Endless Eight these days. It really was the most exciting use of the medium and still really hasn't been topped.

An exciting waste of everyone's time. There are better ways to troll people than flushing most of a season of television down the toilet.

Quasar

Well there's quite a few where the girls are all friends and happily share the guy.

Mailbox

Do omnibus harem's anime not count? (Like The World God Only Knows)
Doesn't D-frag kinda sorta fit under this? Kinda, sorta?
Chaika maybe?
Log Horizon? no... maybe? uh....

this is hard

Orenchi no Furo Jijou kinda fits in a bromantic sort of way.....

uhmm....

Outbreak Company?

It really hard to define a harem sometimes when some characters are a "kinda maybe" sort of thing >.<

Edit: i'm not saying these are good in any way, i'm just trying to find anime that fit the description

Toradora. (I dunno about not being dramatic though.)

And Monogatari*

It's not fanservice, it's art.

Its both.

GJ-bu?

Mailbox

As someone who watched all of Endless Eight straight in one sitting, you are insane.

I was writhing on my bed as I watched it.
I actually thought I might die.

Though still not the most painful thing I've seen oddly enough.

I love how the largest category for that is "BORDERLINE H"

I thought of that, but does that really count as a Harem though?

Line_HTX

Just watch Girls Bravo.

Bonus: In English.

I thought you were SliceSabre for a second.

Can't believe my first harem watch was Tenchi Muyo, but that was only because the Toonami promo was funny as hell with Optimus Prime's voice. I watched that at 10 years old everyday after school, including the abomination known as Universe and the weird shit Tenchi In Tokyo.

I'm still pissed they left Muyo hanging on the 13th episode and I never found out what happened afterwards.

Line_HTX

While Endless Eight was forgettable, I raged at the arc after that. It felt like Haruhi's behavior was so deplorable I didn't want to watch it again until Disappearanced the movie redeemed the sereis a little bit. I think there's more after this, but at this point that fad and craze already sailed. Not sure if I want to watch another Haruhi series that's not a spinoff.

Peco

D-Frag fits the description.

Remember when they put Tenchi Muyo! GXP on Toonami?

Remember how everyone basically just stared at it, and never spoke when it was on?

Line_HTX

Remember when they put Tenchi Muyo! GXP on Toonami?

Remember how everyone basically just stared at it, and never spoke when it was on?

You know, I never stayed up that late to watch GXP, so I never knew what it was like. Wasn't there some awkward bath scene?

Haibane Renmei 10
download_1.png

Really pretty episode. Feels like we're about to dive further into Reki's past. The role the wall takes in this story is certainly interesting in how the Haibane view it, and the role it actually serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom