• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxec

jojo d'arby bd changes

better but still nowhere near the ova take

qTUw1MC.png

Gvitor

Haikyuu! 05-25 (END/Full series impression)

Wow, it's been a while since I've seen an anime this fast. Like I said when I first started this, I'm not usually a sports anime fan, mainly because I'm not a sports fan in general. I like volley, though, so it helped. I don't follow it closely, but I enjoy it and I believe it played a great part in making this so enjoyable. But the major credit goes to the characters. To think they got this character development out of a sports story is kind of ridiculous.

Animation was also all-around fantastic. You can really feel the movement around the court, the flow of the passes and impact of the spikes. I never really felt they held the budget on a couple of episodes to really use it in another. It was always on point.

Music helped a lot. It's incredible how an already hype-inducing moment can give more hype with the right song. A couple of moments got me at the edge of my seat with excitement, mainly the first inter-high match. Sure, it was an obvious win from the get-go, but the match itself was great, and the scene where they cut back and forth between the male and female teams playing was just awesome. They even managed to develop the oponents just enough to make they relevant instead of cannon-fodder. Great send-off.

The ending of episode 19 was also hype fuel.
Kageyama doing that second-touch toss and calling out that he would do it again, damn. It never really paid off, but still.

My only complaint would be the
ending of the last match of the season. Sure, it made sense that Aoba Johsai would win, but nevertheless it felt cliché-y, like a page ripped from the Pokémon textbook, where the main protagonist/team loses a tight fight/match against estabilished rivals only for the winner team to lose shortly after to a yet not developed bigger threat that pretty much only appeared at the last moment. It sucked even more because I was rooting for Karasuno in that match, but also became a fan of Aoba Johsai, with their history against Shiratorizawa. And they just scraped that off by showing a couple of seconds of "hey, they lost to a bigger baddie".

That aside, I bloody loved it. Already recommended to a bunch of friends and will catch up on season 2 soon. If there's someone still on the fence on this, I highly recommend checking it out.

Wow, it's been a while since I've seen an anime this fast. Like I said when I first started this, I'm not usually a sports anime fan, mainly because I'm not a sports fan in general. I like volley, though, so it helped. I don't follow it closely, but I enjoy it and I believe it played a great part in making this so enjoyable. But the major credit goes to the characters. To think they got this character development out of a sports story is kind of ridiculous.

Animation was also all-around fantastic. You can really feel the movement around the court, the flow of the passes and impact of the spikes. I never really felt they held the budget on a couple of episodes to really use it in another. It was always on point.

Music helped a lot. It's incredible how an already hype-inducing moment can give more hype with the right song. A couple of moments got me at the edge of my seat with excitement, mainly the first inter-high match. Sure, it was an obvious win from the get-go, but the match itself was great, and the scene where they cut back and forth between the male and female teams playing was just awesome. They even managed to develop the oponents just enough to make they relevant instead of cannon-fodder. Great send-off.

Kageyama doing that second-touch toss and calling out that he would do it again, damn. It never really paid off, but still.

ending of the last match of the season. Sure, it made sense that Aoba Johsai would win, but nevertheless it felt cliché-y, like a page ripped from the Pokémon textbook, where the main protagonist/team loses a tight fight/match against estabilished rivals only for the winner team to lose shortly after to a yet not developed bigger threat that pretty much only appeared at the last moment. It sucked even more because I was rooting for Karasuno in that match, but also became a fan of Aoba Johsai, with their history against Shiratorizawa. And they just scraped that off by showing a couple of seconds of "hey, they lost to a bigger baddie".

That aside, I bloody loved it. Already recommended to a bunch of friends and will catch up on season 2 soon. If there's someone still on the fence on this, I highly recommend checking it out.

Right there with you on this one brother. I still say, I'm not a fan of sports anime. Haikyuu S1 didn't make me want to pick up another sports show. It sure as hell did make me go watch S2 straight away though. Something about this show is just fantastic. It's kinda like a Soma for me, in that I watched it for both the characters and the main activity they were in, in this case Volleyball. Sure, I actually enjoy cooking so Soma was an easier sell, but in Haikyuu's case, I can't even say I watch any Volleyball, there are no leagues or matches in my city. Still, I watched it, loved it, and now I can't wait for new episodes every week. You binged it just like me, you are gonna see just how much it sucks to wait for every Saturday once you are all caught up lol.

Pretty bold of me saying this, but Haikyuu S2 may already be my most awaited show each week, and if the quality keeps up, a good contender for AOTS, even though it is a 2-cour.

Cornbread78

They are my Noble Masters ep.4-6
LOL, that's all I can say. This is a fun ecchi comedy for sure. There isn't much for plot progression or character development and there is definitely no shipping going on with any of the sisters or the MC, however the comedy remains good and the show is fun to watch. Looks like they are adding a new character next episode, so this could get even more interesting.

I think I would understand that complaint if it was the bigger tourney, the Spring High. Otherwise
would you really have wanted them to win that easily, with rookie Hinata first time on a team, and Ousama Kageyama who is still in the process of being nontyrannical?

Any of you folks play VNs? I'm playing through Kara no Shoujo 2. I've been reading/playing for a few days and I'm still on what seems to be the prologue. Sooooo much character exposition, and yet I am not even reading the main story yet
this is a flashback from small village before WWII.

Gvitor

Right there with you on this one brother. I still say, I'm not a fan of sports anime. Haikyuu S1 didn't make me want to pick up another sports show. It sure as hell did make me go watch S2 straight away though. Something about this show is just fantastic. It's kinda like a Soma for me, in that I watched it for both the characters and the main activity they were in, in this case Volleyball. Sure, I actually enjoy cooking so Soma was an easier sell, but in Haikyuu's case, I can't even say I watch any Volleyball, there are no leagues or matches in my city. Still, I watched it, loved it, and now I can't wait for new episodes every week. You binged it just like me, you are gonna see just how much it sucks to wait for every Saturday once you are all caught up lol.

Pretty bold of me saying this, but Haikyuu S2 may already be my most awaited show each week, and if the quality keeps up, a good contender for AOTS, even though it is a 2-cour.

Yeah, Haikyuu also didn't make me want to watch another sports anime right away. It didn't turn me into a sports anime fan, but then again, no anime can do it just like no single sport can turn me into a sports in general fan. I certainly did warm up to them a little, though. And I can see myself watching another one down the line, provided the feedback it gets is also great and it isn't an outright boring sport.

Will start Haikyuu!'s season 2 tomorrow.

I think I would understand that complaint if it was the bigger tourney, the Spring High. Otherwise
would you really have wanted them to win that easily, with rookie Hinata first time on a team, and Ousama Kageyama who is still in the process of being nontyrannical?

Yeah, like I said, it made sense.
It was a team half-made of first years that barely got time together in actual matches and were figuring out how to work together during the tournament itself. It just rubbed me the wrong way that it felt just like a Pokémon League Championship script. I'm sure there are other examples, but that's the one that comes to mind first.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Man I have been more productive than ever when i don't have like 10 series to watch every week.
Too bad that's going out the window when Fallout 4 gets released.
I'm already like halfway through with House. Speaking of house...
House S4 Ep. 12
HouseXWilson: the otp.

Any of you folks play VNs? I'm playing through Kara no Shoujo 2. I've been reading/playing for a few days and I'm still on what seems to be the prologue. Sooooo much character exposition, and yet I am not even reading the main story yet
I wasn't a huge fan of the first one (especially that true ending), but I'll probably get around to reading it some other time that's not flooded with other games to play.

Russ T

Banned
Man I hate sports, like I am just actively bored by ALL of them, and I never want to hear anyone talk about them around me...

But I fuckin' love sports anime.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first one (especially that true ending), but I'll probably get around to reading it some other time that's not flooded with other games to play.

I loved KnS. But I would never have gotten the True Ending without a guide. I've been looking, for when I get past my first playthrough of the second game but can't find anything... Also I'm not kidding. The prologue is MASSIVE. Like, I've been putting about 2-3hrs into the novel since Sunday, and I still haven't gone back to present time, with the main characters.

Man I hate sports, like I am just actively bored by ALL of them, and I never want to hear anyone talk about them around me...

When I lived in Portugal, soccer was my life, one lives and breathes the sport there. Since I moved to Canada, I totally lost that passion. Still enjoy skateboarding, but that can only be done in the Summer. Which reminds me. Japan, gimme a good skateboarding show.

I loved KnS. But I would never have gotten the True Ending without a guide. I've been looking, for when I get past my first playthrough of the second game but can't find anything... Also I'm not kidding. The prologue is MASSIVE. Like, I've been putting about 2-3hrs into the novel since Sunday, and I still haven't gone back to present time, with the main characters.
Yeah, KnS is the definition of a game that requires a guide. Some of the branching was real dumb, like parts that required you to make wrong deductions to avoid bad endings. Did you read Cartagra? I've heard that matters more for KnS2.

Yeah, KnS is the definition of a game that requires a guide. Some of the branching was real dumb, like parts that required you to make wrong deductions to avoid bad endings. Did you read Cartagra? I've heard that matters more for KnS2.

Nope I did not. I hear it is pretty good though. Is Cartagra connected to the storyline at all? I was under the impression that Cartagra came before KnS 1 and 2

Nope I did not. I hear it is pretty good though. Is Cartagra connected to the storyline at all? I was under the impression that Cartagra came before KnS 1 and 2

It's the first game in the series. Some characters from Cartagra (Kazuna, Shugo, Yaginuma) are in the first KnS and play important roles and I think more show up in KnS2.

sonicmj1

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 51-52 END

Part of me is like, fuck yeah! because that's what I was hoping would happen. But then there's the very end and it all seems kind of sudden.

Not that I'm against what the ending is going for.
Chirico physically disabling the forces that had been manipulating him into a life of war and conflict serves as a powerful climax concluding everything he has been through across the entire story. And being able to live a normal life outside of war is certainly what I'd want for him. But it's hard for me to tell if his arc has really earned it yet, in spite of all the good reasons for him to put down the gun, and Fyana's heroic efforts to drag him back to humanity.
Or maybe that moment happened at the end of the Sunsa arc when he defeated Ypsilon, and I forgot because of gap between when I finished that arc and started this one.

Anyway, I wish him the best.

Conclusion

VOTOMS is the longest non-airing series I've watched in ages, and easily the oldest. It's not an animation showcase, but I was always kind of impressed by how consistent it was, and by how much action it had. You could write an essay about all the relatively inconspicuous shortcuts it uses throughout all the robot fights.

What really makes VOTOMS feel distinct (especially with mecha what it is today) is how grounded it is. Even when it veers off into Newtype territory, there aren't any super-powered mechs with massive laser swords and stuff. The main character is an embattled soldier fighting the demons of his past. The battles are all between mass-produced robot models. War always feels like a grim business here.

That hard-edged tone makes VOTOMS's series of genre exercises fresh. Chirico's development is very satisfying over the course of the series, despite some of the cliche turns it takes. He starts the series almost feral, and his search for humanity and redemption anchors every moment of the series, even at its strangest. The trio of side characters who follow him around wind up a lot more fleshed out than they first seem. The second arc, aka Space Vietnam, is where they really come into their own. It's also definitely the best in the series.

You already probably know if this show's for you, but I'd recommend it pretty highly either way. It's like an 80s action movie but with mechs. And the infinite hell of war. And what may be the best episode preview narrator ever.

Line_HTX

The official translation finished? I remember I was scared on some parts of the mystery.

Understandable. I like both, be it real or anime. Except Prince of Tennis, fuck that shit.

I enjoyed Eyeshield 21 as I viewed it as a cool shoutout even though it hardly follow the rules when it came to penalties, but I was willing to let that slide. I'm just happy that the best time of the year is football season, lol

Cornbread78

Understandable. I like both, be it real or anime. Except Prince of Tennis, fuck that shit.

I enjoyed Eyeshield 21 as I viewed it as a cool shoutout even though it hardly follow the rules when it came to penalties, but I was willing to let that slide. I'm just happy that the best time of the year is football season, lol

You and Names both need to watch Cross Game.

Russ T

Banned

Hmm, I had looked at this one a while back when I was asking some friends about sports anime that star girls/women, but I ended up ignoring it in lieu of Moshidora (although she's a manager, not a player) and Princess Nine. Also Chihayafuru. It counts! It's a sport!

I just heard this one wasn't good...

I really enjoyed the manga when I read it, and it's what got me into sports manga/anime in the first place (Slam Dunk, too, that was glorious). But I tried watching the anime a couple years ago and couldn't finish it. I think I made it to the arc with the American team with the racist coach and, while that wasn't the REASON I quit, it definitely didn't help. I dunno if it's just a bad adaptation, or what. Been thinking about picking it back up where I left off, though... Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, or I had too many other good sports animeseses on my plate at the time.

Getter Robo Armageddon - 2

I love HEATS, but oh man is the first opening great as well. It sounds like a freaking national anthem.

Anyway, part of the reason I didn't think all that much of this OVA at first was because of how much I didn't know who any of the characters were outside of SRW Z2. Now that I've become familiar with the manga, it's a lot easier to feel the weight of the situation regarding them. Because there is a lot of crazy stuff going down in this OVA if you're familiar with this franchise.

It also makes it all the more fun to see the cameo appearances of Emperor Gore and Emperor Burai, the main antagonists of Getter Robo and Getter Robo G, whereas watching it the first time I thought they were just random monster grunts, haha.

It's the first game in the series. Some characters from Cartagra (Kazuna, Shugo, Yaginuma) are in the first KnS and play important roles and I think more show up in KnS2.

I see! If I ever finish KnS2 I'll definitely go back. I just wish I could find a guide. Without one I'm most likely gonna lose the motivation to look through all of the routes. KnS was huge and convoluted, apparently this one is even more complex.

The official translation finished? I remember I was scared on some parts of the mystery.

Yup came out a few days ago on the 30th. Just got through the Prologue. And oh man. Wouldn't call it scary... More like disturbing.

You and Names both need to watch Cross Game.

I have it on my "To Watch" list. It just scares me a bit. Anything over 13 episodes always seems so daunting, and this one goes the extra mile. It's pretty much a double 2-cour lol.

It's nowhere near as complex as KnS as there are no investigation scenes. And there are guides.

Wait FORREAL? Like, I spent an hour or two yesterday looking online and couldn't find anything. As a matter of fact, I could barely find anything about the game at all, other than one or two random forum posts and the Kotaku review. If you ever come across a link to a routes guide PM it to me please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom