• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Asterisk - 06

Pretty standard set-up episode, but not in a bad way. Ernestas character is pretty fun.
Looks like she's using some experiments from one of Allekants other factions to get data on Ayato and Kirin, while knowing he's going to end up destroying those playthings, which will make that faction lose reputation. Pretty smart plan.

Cavalry - 06

The fight in the beginning was pretty good, but short. The rest of the episode was mainly set-up, introducing a new asshole and his asshole gang. The meeting with Ayatsuji before the match screams trap.

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.6
This show is like a guilty pleasure to watch. It does nothing great but be entertaining each week. Obviously, they are still tiptoe in around shipping Quenthar and the princess, but it fun to watch it regardless.

Owarimonogatari 06

VOl2lu7.jpg

Man that opening scene with Ougi was great. Personal space really doesn't mean shit to Ougi. Almost. Hanekawa almost lost there.

I can half accept the answer for Oikura's mother but corpses smell really, really bad. Like the absolute worst, most pungent smell you can imagine. And it takes years for a corpse to decompose fully down to the bone...

Anyway, that was a pretty great arc and it wrapped up more happily then I thought it would.

Also don't think Ougi meant she was looking for Hachikuji. I think she was actually looking for Nadeko.
This is after Mayoi Jiangshi and before Nadeko Medusa, after all

phaze

Owarimonogatari 06

Also don't think Ougi meant she was looking for Hachikuji. I think she was actually looking for Nadeko.
This is after Mayoi Jiangshi and before Nadeko Medusa, after all

Ougi was
still looking for Hachikuji during Nadeko Medusa. aka - she doesn't have a clue Hachikuji is gone.

Sakura

Fafner Exodus 19

Really been enjoying the series so far.
But
what's the name of the guy who appears at the end of this episode? I can't remember.

Instro

IWASAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Actually, "The story of Bungō Stray Dogs centers around real-life authors who now have supernatural powers, and use them to solve mysteries in the "Armed Detective Agency". Real-life figures to have been featured in the series include Ryūnosuke Akutagawa, Yukito Ayatsuji, Dan Brown, Agatha Christie, Osamu Dazai, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Rampo Edogawa, Natsuhiko Kyogoku, Kenji Miyazawa, Doppo Kunikida, and Akiko Yoshino."

So much better than I could have imagined.

Phatmac

Nice conclusion to the Sodachi arc. I feel sorry for all of the horrible stuff that happens to her but am relieved that she gets a new chance at life. Switching schools and starting out fresh is for the best after all the baggage in that town. That boob grab confrontation between Hanekawa and Ougi was great. Hanekawa was great during this arc and had the best moment with washing her hair and solving the locked door situation. Hopefully we'll see Sodachi one day and have her be happy.

Ascheroth

Fafner END

Quite the bittersweet ending. An end without sacrifices wasn't possible after all. Poor Tsubaki and Soushi :(
All around this was a pretty good watch. Special shout out to the absolutely stellar soundtrack, without it the show would probably have been only half as good.

I think the first half is heavier on the tragedy and generally a bit slower and draggier, but the second half really picked up the slack and was all around interesting.
The characters and all their development were great. There were many deaths and the show managed to make them all impactful, to both the characters and me as the viewer.
The mech action and designs were good, too. My favourites are probably Mamorus Mark Fünf, Mayas Mark Sieben and Kazutos Mark Seins first appearance. The Festum designs were all great as well.

The show is pretty heavy on symbolism and uses lots of abstract terms and concepts. I think this is part of what made the first part a bit more difficult to watch for me, because everything is kept a bit too vague for my taste.
Pretty much everything gets more tangible and explained over the course of the second part, though, and conversly makes even some things more interesting in retrospective.
However, since many things are only explained right near the end and after they were mentioned lots of times, it means that to really 'get' everything, a second watch is probably required. I don't think that it's really necessary though. At least I am satisfied with what I did manage to pick up during this watch, even though some things remain a bit vague in my mind.

Next up: The movies and then Exodus!

Fafner Exodus 19

Really been enjoying the series so far.
But
what's the name of the guy who appears at the end of this episode? I can't remember.

Kasugai Koyo. Pilot of Mark Vier who got turned into a Festum back in the original series.

Fafner END

Quite the bittersweet ending. An end without sacrifices wasn't possible after all. Poor Tsubaki and Soushi :(
All around this was a pretty good watch. Special shout out to the absolutely stellar soundtrack, without it the show would probably have been only half as good.

I think the first half is heavier on the tragedy and generally a bit slower and draggier, but the second half really picked up the slack and was all around interesting.
The characters and all their development were great. There were many deaths and the show managed to make them all impactful, to both the characters and me as the viewer.
The mech action and designs were good, too. My favourites are probably Mamorus Mark Fünf, Mayas Mark Sieben and Kazutos Mark Seins first appearance. The Festum designs were all great as well.

The show is pretty heavy on symbolism and uses lots of abstract terms and concepts. I think this is part of what made the first part a bit more difficult to watch for me, because everything is kept a bit too vague for my taste.
Pretty much everything gets more tangible and explained over the course of the second part, though, and conversly makes even some things more interesting in retrospective.
However, since many things are only explained right near the end and after they were mentioned lots of times, it means that to really 'get' everything, a second watch is probably required. I don't think that it's really necessary though. At least I am satisfied with what I did manage to pick up during this watch, even though some things remain a bit vague in my mind.

Next up: The movies and then Exodus!

Be sure to check out the prequel OVA, Right of Left, as well. While it isn't too relevant in relation to the original series, it does get brought up a bit in both the Heaven and Earth movie and Exodus.

Phatmac

Solid training episode with Hinata trying to get better by not relying on his amazing setter. Surprised by the lack of tension since last episode got heated in the end but I'm glad it tried to laugh it off. Nothing much besides training in order to evolve. Best part was Kageyama begging for Tooru'd help.

Jaxec

Haikyuu!! Season 2 Episode 6

Another awesome episode. I can say that this is the show I'm looking forward to each week. It's just too good. Even an episode focused on training blows other shows out of the water.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Utawarerumono - Itsuwari no Kamen - 06

Good... good. This was the piece I need to know about this series. Now I don't even care if they don't return to it again this season. I just wanted to some level of assurance that someone was minding the larger picture.

Phatmac

Kuon's mothe-I mean big sister stole the show this episode with her intense killing intent. It spent some good time in the past with best girl Kuon and introduced us to her red haired friend. Hopefully they'll stick around as they seem like cameos with characters from the older anime. I need more mama.

Skii

Just finished Food Wars. Really enjoyed it. Very light-hearted as a premise but definitely has a lot of tension and high-risk situations to get you emotionally involved. Also the music was beautiful. Just hope there will be a second season!

Any animes you'd recommend from the summer line up or any from the autumn line up that have started promisingly?

Gvitor

Haikyuu! Second Season 01-06

This continues to be awesome. The thing this series does the best is hyping things up. 01 was so good in doing this. Hinata jumping to catch the ball from the Shiratorizawa guy and him and Kageyama calling him out was just terrific. The new "shit's gonna blow up" music for this season is already fantastic, but I'm hoping they use that one song from the first season during this season as well.

Also really liked the new girl, loved the chemistry between her and Hinata.

This is shaping up to be a good season. They didn't waste time introducing the adversaries and they're keeping the recurrent characters more, well, recurrent. Today's episode would work without Oikawa, since he basically said the same thing Ukai said, but it was nice that it came from him and that it didn't take long between his appearances.

It will be hard not looking at the manga.

Ascheroth

Just finished Food Wars. Really enjoyed it. Very light-hearted as a premise but definitely has a lot of tension and high-risk situations to get you emotionally involved. Also the music was beautiful. Just hope there will be a second season!

Any animes you'd recommend from the summer line up or any from the autumn line up that have started promisingly?

Summer:
Rokka no Yuusha: Starts like a 'group of hero vs. evil'-adventure, quickly turns into a really interesting locked room mystery for the rest of its run.

Ushio to Tora: 90s shonen goodness. It starts with a monster of the week setup, but goes full story-mode after that and all the side-charaters during the monster of the week bits actually stay relevant. It's still ongoing right now.

Fall:
One Punch Man: If you aren't already watching it, go watch it right now.

Gundam - Iron-blooded Orphans: has been surprisingly great so far. No prior Gundam knowledge needed.

Haikyuu S2: haven't watched it personally, because I still need to finish the first season, but I've read the manga and impressions have been really positive. It's a sports anime (volleyball) with really fun and likeable characters, comedy, tension and everything.

And maybe Comet Lucifer: it's a fantasy-adventure story with seriously great mech-action, but it has some low points and could still end up either way.

K-On! - 12

Unfortunately this is getting slightly worse along the way with more melodrama and the disconnect I feel in the group's ability to perform grows larger and larger, to the point where it feels like I'm watching a bit of a power fantasy. "Girls have super much fun in school club, hardly actually practicing as a band, and owning the stage anyways because of pure talent or sth!"

Before I'm being told again that realistic portrayal isn't important here, I'll disagree right there. When I don't get a good sense of these characters putting in effort and progressing, then there'll be next to no pay-off when they perform on stage. "Oh I guess they are great because...they really enjoy being around each other and reasons!"

It's also an issue because there isn't much else going on there other than the music. The slice of life bits are as generic as can be and I'm not gonna care about them eating cake, Mio cowering in fear of s.th. she heard or doing her slapstick routine with Ritsu or all of them getting dressed up by a teacher that, after a decent beginning, now seems to serve no purpose other than this stick.

The writing just doesn't feel very good and there's one great indicator for this found, too. -> Parents don't exist. When someone's in capable of incorporating parents into stories where they should play a role at least sometimes, it's indicative of weak writing skills.

K-On! so far only has animation quality going for it and perhaps solid direction, too. But these two aspects take a backseat if the actual content fails to deliver.

As of now I intend to finish this season, watch a couple of S2 and see if it got any better before I continue.

Quasar

Failed Knight 6 - Glad to see they aren't wasting time with episode long fights rather than telling the story. Fight dialog is weird, though not unusual. Just people info dumping their powers.

Asterisk 6 - Flirty Claudia continues to be flirty.

pbayne

K-On! - 12

Unfortunately this is getting slightly worse along the way with more melodrama and the disconnect I feel in the group's ability to perform grows larger and larger, to the point where it feels like I'm watching a bit of a power fantasy. "Girls have super much fun in school club, hardly actually practicing as a band, and owning the stage anyways because of pure talent or sth!"

Before I'm being told again that realistic portrayal isn't important here, I'll disagree right there. When I don't get a good sense of these characters putting in effort and progressing, then there'll be next to no pay-off when they perform on stage. "Oh I guess they are great because...they really enjoy being around each other and reasons!"

It's also an issue because there isn't much else going on there other than the music. The slice of life bits are as generic as can be and I'm not gonna care about them eating cake, Mio cowering in fear of s.th. she heard or doing her slapstick routine with Ritsu or all of them getting dressed up by a teacher that, after a decent beginning, now seems to serve no purpose other than this stick.

The writing just doesn't feel very good and there's one great indicator for this found, too. -> Parents don't exist. When someone's in capable of incorporating parents into stories where they should play a role at least sometimes, it's indicative of weak writing skills.

K-On! so far only has animation quality going for it and perhaps solid direction, too. But these two aspects take a backseat if the actual content fails to deliver.

As of now I intend to finish this season, watch a couple of S2 and see if it got any better before I continue.

Coming from someone who loves K-On, you should probably drop it. Season 2 is pretty much the same fare. Like don't waste your time on something you'll probably not like.

John Blade

Look like I am now trying to go back watching Rahxephon. I think I might able to get it done this month. I will put hold on other anime show later for now. For now, the show is okay but kinda feel odd when watching it. I guess it's how they pace the scene which for some reason feel a bit rush through. Other than that, the show is okay but do get into weird stuff which you need to pay attention during the episode or you get lost.

Shergal

In what way? Granted there are a few more emotional moments towards the end but it's still mostly slice of life shenanigans. I mean I love it but I'm not gonna pretend its something its not.

Better structure, better handling of time, better thematic arc. The characters also get more defined, in S1 they're more like sketches (compare Azusa's role in each season especially).

Individual episodes are also more cohesive and connected on average, instead of being a bunch of unrelated gags stitched together on a nebulous premise.

It's better, but I wouldn't call it "quite different." Most of NaDannMaGoGo's complaints apply to the 2nd season too.
It feels way different imo. The only thing that's a constant is the lack of practice screentime, but S2 also addresses the band aspect in more diverse ways than S1 even if it's not specifically about them getting better with their instruments.

I guess there's no parents in S2 either.

I'll definitely give S2 a try and form my own opinion on it. Have heard too many say it's quite a step up. As K-On! S1 will probably receive a 5/10 from me (watchable but nothing I'd ever really recommend) it's definitely possible to become enjoyable with improvements.

e: Yeh, looks like these 2 remaining episodes are actually extras, which makes sense as ep12 was obviously the climax.

Owarimonogatari 6

That didn't make sense, even if Oikura is
crazy. Didn't the guys who cleaned the garbage noticed the half-decomposed corpse? At least the skeleton should be perfectly in just two years.

Owarimonogatari 6

That didn't make sense, even if Oikura is
crazy. Didn't the guys who cleaned the garbage noticed the half-decomposed corpse? At least the skeleton should be perfectly in just two years.

I think the implication was
that her mom's body decomposed irregularly? Like it just kind of faded out of existence?

I dunno it didn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 27

I expected that boat ride to last at least a few episodes with the fighting duels to determine who'd pass. Instead it turned into a slaughter and was over within 10 minutes! AoE too stronk.
Not getting a good feeling of having the girls going to the Dark Tournament, I find them the least interesting, and the interrupting sequences during fights in the Holy Beasts arc was annoying. Now is the time to (hopefully) change my view on them I guess.

Junior going might be interesting though. Also the little masked fighter that's accompanying Yu's team looks so obviously like Genkai (even Kuwabara said it!), that it's probably not her!
Pretty hyped for the Dark Tournament!

fertygo

IWASAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Actually, "The story of Bungō Stray Dogs centers around real-life authors who now have supernatural powers, and use them to solve mysteries in the "Armed Detective Agency". Real-life figures to have been featured in the series include Ryūnosuke Akutagawa, Yukito Ayatsuji, Dan Brown, Agatha Christie, Osamu Dazai, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Rampo Edogawa, Natsuhiko Kyogoku, Kenji Miyazawa, Doppo Kunikida, and Akiko Yoshino."

Any reason to excited for this?

Looks and sounds like UN-GO and Concrete type of nonsense.

Skii

Summer:
Rokka no Yuusha: Starts like a 'group of hero vs. evil'-adventure, quickly turns into a really interesting locked room mystery for the rest of its run.

Ushio to Tora: 90s shonen goodness. It starts with a monster of the week setup, but goes full story-mode after that and all the side-charaters during the monster of the week bits actually stay relevant. It's still ongoing right now.

Fall:
One Punch Man: If you aren't already watching it, go watch it right now.

Gundam - Iron-blooded Orphans: has been surprisingly great so far. No prior Gundam knowledge needed.

Haikyuu S2: haven't watched it personally, because I still need to finish the first season, but I've read the manga and impressions have been really positive. It's a sports anime (volleyball) with really fun and likeable characters, comedy, tension and everything.

And maybe Comet Lucifer: it's a fantasy-adventure story with seriously great mech-action, but it has some low points and could still end up either way.

Thank you for the suggestions! Will probably start Rokka no Yuusha as I like binging haha.

Jintor

Coming from someone who loves K-On, you should probably drop it. Season 2 is pretty much the same fare. Like don't waste your time on something you'll probably not like.

I disagree, but S2 is not a radical change so much as it is an emotional change. But don't exactly ever expect much of a storyline.

jbug617

Banned
Chivalry of a Failed Knight 6

This show is not bad. It has a lot more action than I thought. I hope the tournament top 8 is animated.

Haikyuu S2 06

So
Ukai isn't out of commission like everyone thought he was LOL.
This was a really good episode. Everyone in the team (except for Tsukishima, that goddamned guy) wantsto move forward and evolve. Hinata is finally playing with his eyes opened. Kageyama is aiming better throws. Next week the buys go to Tokyo again, let's see if their training paid off!

John Blade

Any latino gaf here? Wonder if you watch anime in latino dub or just go to Japanese dub as some of those dub aren't that bad to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom