• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

The first few episodes of that show were really good. Everything went to hell when Five showed up.

At least the dub won't have her engrish

edit: man that trailer reminded me why i was so excited for it to begin with. The music, directing, everything was so good...

There were moments early in Terror in Resonance where I felt practically giddy watching it.

It looks gorgeous. The soundtrack is pretty great. Some of the themes it tackles are barely discussed in any anime. The directing is great at times, especially early on.

But god dammit that ending is terrible.

At least the dub won't have her engrish

Whoooo, boy was her Engrish bad.

It was really bad.

Like "Symphogear doesn't need a dub" bad.

Line_HTX

I never actually finished it. I got to yhe halfway point, like episode 6 before I was like... man where is this going. Then I didn't want to care anymore. Music and OST couldn't save this.

Qurupeke

Is Monogatari really that good? I see it so highly rated but then I see so much fanservice...

It is! Yes, unfortunately it's pretty heavy on loli and incest but this is really secondary. If you manage to ignore that, the series becomes godlike. Also, it's worth mentioning that the latest part, Owarimonogatari, has literally neither of those types of fanservice and it's amazing.

Start with Bakemonogatari, endure Nisemonogatari and then you're ready for it.

lol people do that? Dressrosa is a poorly paced mess with too many characters and perspectives.

I think that after recruiting Brook Strawhats just have too many crew members to properly show everyone doing something which affects the already awful pacing (in anime). Not to mention I still don't just feel Brook as much as the other members of the crew even after so much time has passed since he joined.

Show by Rock season 2 announced.
Based Bones.
https://twitter.com/SB69A/status/663310132290260993

JBlujIA.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

Owarimonogatari is absolutely incredible. Such wonderful and multi-faceted approach towards characterization and storytelling. SHAFT know exactly how to hit the heart strings with this show.

Especially.....with that final scene ;_;

AOTY.

Owarimonogatari was incredible dense. 6 episodes of Owari was like 12 episodes of an usual anime.

I hope staff is doing the same good job with Shinobu Mail and hope for another Kizu PV around the 40th anniversary thing at the end of month.
(First Prism Nana OVA was also supposed to screen at the 29th).

pbayne

Gundam IBO 6

Nice episode that fleshed out the crew dynamics. I like that everyone has a place and a role and it feels like a family.

The similarities between Mika and Orga to Kamina and Simon were strengthened in a big way. Im constantly suprised by how un-Gundam MC like Mika is. When I first saw him I thought "oh fuck not another Inaho" but he's actually really likable and constantly tries to improve himself. In fact that seemed to the theme running through the whole crew with Kudelia and Orga constantly pushing themselves to help more.

World Trigger 53

This was a great plot for an original story, getting Shuji's team involved to take control of the tower from trion soldiers was fun. Theyre some of the best agents in the series and with that Black Trigger too.

phaze

Owarimonogatari 06
Weird arc and one that I'm not entirely sure how I feel about. Oikura and Ougi are certainly fun characters to follow and on their own all of the episodes sans the 4th are strong but there is a lot of recurring, far fetched plot scenarios that combined, make the arc lose some of its lustre. Especially since the climax, the resolution of the mystery in the last episode also relied on this such bullshit. It's weird that the most unrealistic Mono arc is the one of the few ones that doesn't have some kind of oddity related thing as its main focal point.

I need that Decent Black piano version.

Fate/Stay Night 17

So UBW's assault on Kuzuki was just a rehash of what already happened in the Fate route ? meh. Seeing the same scenario but this time in Deen's take only highlights how much better Ufotable's version was.

Also wow, Sakura became somewhat relevant.

Brave Beats Episode 4
CTS6i7uXAAAI-7o.png
CTS6izsXAAA5l8a.png

Yes a dance number for both of them and it was so good. Hibiki has the best moves.

Some parts did feel Tribe Cool Crew inspired, like the teaching of Isolation again or the characters interest in Basketball. But otherwise felt fun.
CTS6h6EWUAABR3l.png

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 6:

Still imprssed with the quality of this show as we get a cool down episode as we learn more about the larger world and the politics that guide it as well as get to learn more about Tekkaden and even the Gjallerorn but a surprise entrant is about to make life difficult for our heroes.

JulianImp

One thing I've noticed is that watching Monogatari episodes as they come out doesn't feel as good as watching them one after the other. They're dense enough that I always feel like I might be forgetting some subtle thing that could've been said or done a couple eps before.

If I had to rank the on-season shows I'm watching, it'd probably be like: Owarimonogatari > Perfect Insider (for now) >> Sakurako (not all that interesting yet) >>>> Young Jack Black (hamfisted moral dilemmas got boring after a while)

Hackadoll is meh (still prefer Miss Monochrome as a short show), and I remember having watched a bit of Kotowari-san (which I declined watching any further after ep1) and Hakone (another insta-drop due to it starring a loli hot springs spirit).

sonicmj1

Here's the trailer for Funi's dub of Terror in Resonance.

Gotta say, a good dub won't save that show from its mediocre writing. And that's a shame, because Terror in Resonance had the potential to be a fantastic show.

But it buckled under the weight of its narrative.

I loved this show so much in the early going.

Incredibly, even after the writing had already sabotaged most of what was happening, the show still managed to deliver incredibly powerful moments solely by pairing amazing directing with its amazing soundtrack. Scenes like the Ferris wheel bomb defusal, or the final scenes with Nine and Twelve, had no right to work as well as they did.

Comet Lucifer - 6

Turns out my prediction of the actual adventure part of this show starting at episode 6 was spot-on.

Thankfully, this was an actual good episode with things actually moving forward because of that.

I'm surprised they haven't changed changed the OP to include
Felia's teenage form and Moura's new mecha form
but I suspect that will come later.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 6

Fumatin knows her tech. Always good to learn how to read and write. Orga makes decisions based on what he thinks Mika wants. That might not turn out good. Teiwaz negotiations should be fun.

Cornbread78

Ok, so I missed the half-way rankings last night:

In order of preference so far this season:

- Owarimonogatari
- Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen
- Comet Lucifer
- Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
- Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
- Heavy Object
- Sakurako-san
- One Punch Man

To be honest, I'm surprised you're dropping this now before the inevitable Newtype magic kicked in.

The world-building is one of the good (and by that, the most important) parts of Gundam shows like IBO.

World building can be very important to me (see SSY) but this exposition dumping done in this episode, no thanks. Make the information enticing to me somehow, be it by intertwining it better with actual action/events taking place, well written dialogues, well written characters or just generally good direction and pacing.

This episode offers nothing of the above. I can't seem to care about any of these flat characters. There's so many factions, locations and politics going on that I couldn't recall them if I tried. It mostly feels like meaningless bloat.

I didn't even think this show's action was particularly impressive either. I find the concept of a Mech to be kinda dumb to begin with so unless there's an interesting take on it or you've got some great animation talent working on the scenes, as both is the case with Evangelion for instance, I won't find much joy there.

It's also gonna be 50 episodes. My distaste for this will only grow and I'm not going to treat me to another Eureka 7 tier of experience where I keep continuing despite knowing better. 6 episodes in I thought much higher of E7 than this, too, btw. Animation quality and OST was better if nothing else. (note: I'm not saying the two are similar, I know they aren't)

Last but not least, it's a Gundam/Mecha show that you like. So, at this point this has got to be some reverse indicator for me. :D

I didn't even think this show's action was particularly impressive either. I find the concept of a Mech to be kinda dumb to begin with so unless there's an interesting take on it or you've got some great animation talent working on the scenes, as both is the case with Evangelion for instance, I won't find much joy there.

Last but not least, it's a Gundam/Mecha show that you like. So, at this point this has got to be some reverse indicator for me. :D

I'm not even watching this show because of Mari Okada and I'm fully convinced the show's going to go downhill later on. So I can't say that I like this yet.

There are tons of mecha shows with interesting takes on the genre, I'd argue though.

Patlabor, from my understanding is a mecha show where giant robots are integrated into an everyday society rather than war.

G Gundam is a show that fully embraces the silliness of giant robots and just goes all out with it. You've got a mummy Gundam, a devil Gundam, an old man in a Gundam riding on a horse Gundam, etc.

Gundam Build Fighters, is in fact like Shokugeki no Soma where the Gundams are toys and the show is about kids fighting with them in tournaments. And it's got this laid back feel-good atmosphere to go along with that as well, compared to other bleak and depressing Gundam shows.

I'm not saying you should like mecha, but rather that I just don't really understand how someone could find the concept of them in of themselves to be bad.

Giant robots are cool. :D

phaze

Kyousougiga 04

This time it's Yase's backstory time. Always thought it was the weakest ep and I'll probably won't change my mind but there is enough in there to make the viewer engaged. Completely forgot about that doll.

Kyousougiga 05

I still love those last few minutes in the fields ...

The entire episode may not consist of much more than loosely connected, almost SoL antics but the common thread connecting all those together is the very well put together exploration of Yakushimaru's character. In the first episode the viewer saw him tired of life, tired of the trap that this city became for him, followed in the subsequent outings by the growing irritation caused by Koto, the cheerful, practical antithesis of his way of life. This anger finally bursts out here when Koto freely and in his mind irresponsibly, promises to take his friend to the outside world. A promise that he believes is impossible to full fill and one that also reminds him of what old priest Myoue promised to him long, long time ago. All the little elements: his attitude - both present and past, his flashback to the day he first met old priest, the meaning of A's and Un's names even the little detail that the damage inflicted by Aramata doesn't fix itself with this world, come together in the last scene, where Myoue realizes both the depth of the probable connection between Koto and his foster parents, as well as the fact that after all this time, after having his life forcefully extended, after being trapped in a city where nothing changes and where no one else is truly human, he might have finally found a way out for himself.

Not that it was bad or anything but why did they bother to make anime original content for season one then? Just seems like more work than necessary.

Why does any manga adaptation not just do a 1:1 rendering of the manga panels? Because the anime staff cares about what they're doing and wants to give their own spin on the material rather than doing the minimal work required to shit something out.

duckroll

Not that it was bad or anything but why did they bother to make anime original content for season one then? Just seems like more work than necessary.

Because it is important for a series to feel self contained and conclusive on its own, especially if there's a possibility there won't be more seasons made. Just adapting content to be "faithful" without being mindful of having a good conclusive point for a series is pandering to the wrong audience. People who obsess over the difference between manga adapted content and anime original content often miss the point, the only thing that actually matters is - was the story which was told interesting and did it have an ending.

phaze

I imagine it was done to have some semblance of closure at the end of the season, instead of having just 12, barely connected episodic stories and the main plot presented in the first episode left completely untouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom