• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 47 (engDub)
tumblr_nvb315TdDe1r6c5nzo1_540.gif

Its time, Kouji Ibuki has got in this and Im hoping he wins. Best card, Genesis Dragon Excelcis Messiah.

One Punch Man 06

No huge fight this episode but there was a plethora of Saitama faces so that's good. I don't remember Fubuki being introduced so early.

Okada Gundam 06

I dunno, the exposition is mostly fine to me. They are war orphans, of course they don't know shit. When it's the Gjallarhorn guys being told stuff then it's a bit goofy.

I do like the Orga and Mikazuki relationship.

I think that after recruiting Brook Strawhats just have too many crew members to properly show everyone doing something which affects the already awful pacing (in anime). Not to mention I still don't just feel Brook as much as the other members of the crew even after so much time has passed since he joined.

Yup. I've mentioned it before but Brook's acceptance into the crew has never felt earned. Sabaody happened immediately after, the most he did was a minor role in Fishman Island, did nothing on Punk Hazard and wasn't even there for Dressrosa...why is he a character? Jinbei, Law, Vivi and Rebecca have done far, far more then Brook and they aren't even crewmembers aside from Jinbei being an honorary one.

Show by Rock season 2 announced.
Based Bones.
https://twitter.com/SB69A/status/663310132290260993

Sweet, I actually liked SBR s1 quite a lot.

To be honest, I'm surprised you're dropping this now before the inevitable Newtype magic kicked in.

That would be the time to drop it, Newtype stuff is mostly garbage

So what's the general consensus overall for anime this year?

There isn't a big frontrunner like Ping Pong, Yamato or Hyouka. To me there isn't a 10/10 series this year but a few 9s, a bunch of 8s and a lot of 7s. For me it's odd, the best shows I watched this year were Monogatari and Gintama, but not the current seasons. I probably won't end up voting for Gintama because I can't really say that I am voting for the new season alone and not the backlog of all the other series as well. Not like Gintama will place in the top 10.

When it comes to AOTY it will probably be between Euphonium and One Punch Man. If I were to guess the other 8 slots - Soma, JoJo, Haikyuu, Owarimonogatari, Kekkai Sensen, Non Non Biyori, Gundam and Shirobako.

Maybe Death Parade, Dragon Ball Super, Osumatsu-san, Ushio and Tora, Shimoneta, Overlord and Gatchaman?

Most underlooked will definitely be Yuri Kuma Arashi, I don't expect that to crack the top 10. Neither will Maria the Virgin Witch.

If I were to guess what will win, probably One Punch Man. I think I already know what I'm voting for.

Genos isn't really a jobber though.

He loses every fight

So what's the general consensus overall for anime this year?

A weak year for the most part outside of the Fall. There's been good shows, but this will make for the most difficult year choosing 10 shows for AOTY that I've had. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the AOTY because there's no clear frontrunner.

*Friendly reminder that the second half of Shirobako aired this year*

Oh yeah. That will make it on the list (if people remember) I just thought up that list without looking any seasonal charts up.

Death Parade was fantastic, it's a shame that not a lot of people remember this show. There were times that the show hit right in the feels.

idk Death Parade was pretty middling to me aside from a few good episodes like the ice skating one, def won't crack my top 10

Concrete Revolution Episode 6
CTURwQoWwAABkO6.png

Happy and funny episode
which made the death scene not even that sad, odd
. Furuota should just join up with them or even with Jiro, theyd make a good team.

Best Clan Name
CTUReuHWcAEVEoz.png

Shouta

Rakudai 6

Kinda disappointing that the match with those two student council members was so short. I wash oping to get a meaty match. At least they introduced a new character and a new opponent. He had his hands all over the new girl too jeez. I'm interested in the next episode though.

Asterisk 6

Good episode here too. Getting to know Kirin a bit more and moving the Allekant plot threads forward. Seems like Kirin is way more powerful than first shown, lol. Dat fanservice in this episode though. Claudia just laying it all out there. I really want to see what goes on next episode seeing as they got dropped into a pit, lol.

Winner: Both

Heavy Object 6

This was probably the worst episode beside ep 1. Just too much blubbering from the guys about mini skirt santas and jealousy from Melinda. I'm interested in the Heavy Object that's the target of this episode though and the end section in the jungle made the next ep look like it was gonna be something serious.

Iron-Blooded Orphans 6

A slow episode but stated what is going on for folks that missed the English stuff in the last episode. Kudelia teaching everyone to read is nice and you definitely get to see a better picture of Orga and Mika's relationship through that last dialogue sequence.

I also noticed that the OP changes a bit with each episode, mostly with Barbatos. The armor and weapons it uses in each ep is getting added to the op in the next one.

One Punch Man 6

Animation is staying strong though Banehige/Spring Moustachio looks worse in this than in the Murata version. On the other hand, the early appearance of Fubuki and Tatsumaki are welcome and their designs look just as good.

Comet Lucifer 6

The mech battle was great and I see they're finally addressing Kaon and Sogo a bit in this, which is good. They were kinda hinting at it before but it's nice to have that confirmation. Also, I figured something was up with that one char but this ep showed it, lol.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 30

Yoooooooo holy shit Hiei is a fucking beast! I knew he was strong but this is some next level shit. Talk about a comeback, for a second I was convinced he had been beaten.
This fight looked absolutely fantastic with the colors and shading. Next fight looks to be pretty sweet as well with some kind of Drunken Master opponent. Only a few episodes into the Dark Tournament, and already getting treats.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 30

Yoooooooo holy shit Hiei is a fucking beast! I knew he was strong but this is some next level shit. Talk about a comeback, for a second I was convinced he had been beaten.
This fight looked absolutely fantastic with the colors and shading. Next fight looks to be pretty sweet as well with some kind of Drunken Master opponent. Only a few episodes into the Dark Tournament, and already getting treats.

Yep, that looks like a Shinbo episode alright.

Dragon Ball Super 18

Episode where Goku and Vegeta have to clean up Beerus' bed while he is sleeping and then do a bunch of housework. I was wrong, Genos isn't the best housemaid, Saiyans are

Fat Beerus and Girl Whis showed up, guess they might train Freeza? Who knows, RoF recap should be interesting since the problems with that movie can be rather easily fixed with the extra time they spend on it

Comet Lucifer Episode 6

Every battle feels so different. I thought this would be some throwaway random event but certainly nothing of this scale. 2nd or 3rd best battle thus far. Roman did good too even.

Best flower boy in anime. Love Sogo's outfit.

Ascheroth

Fafner - Right of Left

Pretty somber OVA. It certainy already looked better then the TV show and the soundtrack keeps delivering.
Since this is set a bit before the start of the series it hurt a bit seeing some characters again.
It also served as a nice recap on how Fafner, Festum and Assimilation all work.
But Ryou basically looked like Kazuki and after Yumi cut her hair (why...?) she basically looked like Maya. Would have been nice if the characters looked a bit different.

It kinda makes sense since you would be rating the whole season, but wouldn't this be sort of unfair at the same time? Since the show had two chances at AOTY and all?

There are two ways of voting for TV series/OVA series/ongoing series in general: either you only allow them to be voted for in the year they finish, or you allow them to be voted for during any year in which they release new episodes. Making them only count during the year they start is a poor decision, because then people are unable to judge the series as a whole.

There are two ways of voting for TV series/OVA series/ongoing series in general: either you only allow them to be voted for in the year they finish, or you allow them to be voted for during any year in which they release new episodes. Making them only count during the year they start is a poor decision, because then people are unable to judge the series as a whole.

I would agree with the voting being allowed for shows only once they are finished, that makes sense to me. Like let's say Haikyuu. I love the heck out of the show, but who knows, it could totally go to shit after episode 13 or whatever in 2016. The show was great in 2015, but making a first half of the show an AOTY does not seem right to me, since you would be stacking a half finished product vs all the other shows that actually finished in the same year.

It kinda makes sense since you would be rating the whole season, but wouldn't this be sort of unfair at the same time? Since the show had two chances at AOTY and all?

Why is it unfair? Why should it be any different than if it was split cour? If a show has an AOTY worthy 12-13 episodes in separate years it's fine for it to make the list twice.

I would agree with the voting being allowed for shows only once they are finished, that makes sense to me. Like let's say Haikyuu. I love the heck out of the show, but who knows, it could totally go to shit after episode 13 or whatever in 2016.
If it goes to shit, then don't vote for it the next year. The episodes airing in 2016 aren't what you are voting for anyway.

I would agree with the voting being allowed for shows only once they are finished, that makes sense to me. Like let's say Haikyuu. I love the heck out of the show, but who knows, it could totally go to shit after episode 13 or whatever in 2016.

That doesn't make sense. Soma will get a S2 for sure but it won't air this year. Does that count as finished? What about JoJo? They have years of material to adapt. Finished? Monogatari will never be finished! I voted for G Reco and Try last year but I won't this year because those shows dropped in quality hard. Simple as that.

That doesn't make sense. Soma will get a S2 for sure but it won't air this year. Does that count as finished? What about JoJo? They have years of material to adapt. Finished? Monogatari will never be finished! I voted for G Reco and Try last year but I won't this year because those shows dropped in quality hard. Simple as that.

Okay now that's different. That's a different season. That would be ranking a series as a whole, not the season.

But I get where you guys are coming from. Guess Haikyuu can be voted for then

Yu Yu Hakusho - 32

Great fight once again. The display of positive sportsmanship, mutual respect and fair scaled power level made it a lot of fun and exciting.
Having to end it with an unorthodox method was cool. That drunken bastard is pretty likable. So many great still shots as well.

jgminto

Young Black Jack 6

That was actually a great episode. They were able to keep the grim tone of the Vietnam War going throughout most of the episode while creating a massive sense of tension through the surgery. If they can keep reaching this level of quality in tone and drama, this will be one of the better shows this season even with the poor animation.

Haikyuu 20

Tanaka is the best.

This is a lot like Akagi to me where I am super invested in the twists and how someone is going to make a comeback. I guess that's what I need to be invested in a sports series. The show needs more insane visual metaphors to be Akagi level tho!

Assassination Classroom film

Fantastic take on the story. Repositioning events and character introductions while staying wholly focused on Class 3-E made for a unique experience. The changing of locations for the hotel arc as well as eliminating the other students in Kunigagioka was an odd choice. I liked what was done for their major assassination attempt though, however, a straight up adaptation of the manga and anime could have been good in this. Oh well, I still enjoyed it. Karma and Nagisa were true stars.
CTUjf2jXIAAgIO1.png

Probably most ungood part of this was that most students in Class 3-E had no lines or just throwaway lines. Maehara only did one thing of note, while others like Sugino, Isogai etc were unmemorable. Okuda, Terasaka, Karma, and Itona got the most development which was decent, while Okajima of all people, had the most lines for non main charaters how odd.

Irinia was perfect, Karasuma was way too old.
CTUgDcBWcAET3s1.png

Cant wait for movie 2.

lol at the ending thoguh when everyone was creying I was creying too then all of a sudden Korosensei is fake creying. I was laughing and creying. Loved it

For those that watched Gintama more recently (I started/finished it like when I first joined GAF) you think there's any episodes you could skip before episode 25? It's always an argument that needs to be made for new viewers to not give up but maybe we could tell people to outright only watch X Y Z episodes.

For those that watched Gintama more recently (I started/finished it like when I first joined GAF) you think there's any episodes you could skip before episode 25? It's always an argument that needs to be made for new viewers to not give up but maybe we could tell people to outright only watch X Y Z episodes.

Skip none because those are all setting up the characters

One Punch Man 06

When you are so strong that everyone thinks you are the monster. I'm gonna laugh when everyone sees that all that destruction has been done by one person alone lol. Now I kinda get how Saitama has been able to live without a job though. Rent must be super cheap lol.

Cornbread78

Whisper of the Heart(movie)
So, I finally watched some real old school with thus movie. It's weird watching a movie after a ton of serits because it feels like the story can keep going on and on. While the story didn't push the envelope in any direction, it still told a good and cute story of young love and chasing your dreams. It manage to keep me interested in what happened next with good writing. You can tel why Studio Ghibli gers the love it does from films like this one.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 06

Yeah pretty nice episode seeing the kids learning to read and write. Also now we know Orga's reason for trying so hard. It's good that his heart is in the right place, he wants to be a role model to Mika. If he wanted, he could basically use him for anything, instead he wants to keep moving forward, and make Mika's blind trust in him something that is justified.

Also good point, I thought it was just me going crazy, but the OP did look different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom