• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

I dunno it's better than Mugi's fucked up arm.
U7Mt6Bel.jpg

Hours on the keyboard really did a number on her arm.

Shouta

I just watched Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix, first episode. I'm trying to get into this style of anime, the crazy screaming and and all that (traditionally been a Ghibli, horror, or quiet anime feature film type), so I tried something fantasy which I like. It's good. Really bizarre which I like in anime, and it seems like the story is going places. the short bite-sized format works for me too.

The 7 Deadly Sins isn't exactly the crazy screaming type of Shounen but it's a good middle ground. It has lots of action and a pretty solid story which makes it easier to watch than purely action based shows. I'm not a fan of the anime adaptation but it's a good enough and a good way to get someone interested in the manga.

pbayne

All this talk of AOTY, will there be spots for the worst shows of the year?

In that case i'd nominate Danmachi and Charlotte.

Sakura

Been rewatching Card Captor Sakura.
Currently on episode 7.
Why is Sakura such a good girl, it makes me want to cry T_T

Jintor

Looking at the comments, I think it may be time I got off my butt and checked out Hyouka. =S

Sounds like you've just...

*puts on sunglasses*

気になります

well, なりました, i guess

phaze

I don't understand what Strike Witches is supposed to be?

Is it little girls fighting a war against wearing pants?

It's the most historically accurate depiction of WWII's western front in anime.

Hyouka
===

Nothing I'm going to write since it's probably been covered over and over by those better equipped to. 10/10 etc

Great time to follow it up by finishing another masterpiece, Shigurui !

Cornbread78

Geez, what rock did all these Shirobako haters suddenly crawl out from under?

Just because it's boring doesn't mean it's hated. Same for, it not being AOTY, doesn't mean it's bad..

Horrible monster you are. I could count about 20 shows worse than either of those two.

Szadek

Sry,but there are way worse shows out there.
Of course you wouldn't know that ,because few people saw them and even fewer remember them.
No, AOTY is to focus on the positive.

And there's way worse shit that aired this year then those two. Remember Absolute Duo?
Haven't seen Absolute Duo, but it looked like a stupid, but harmless harem/ecchi show.
Was there anything particularly bad or offensive about this anime?

pbayne

Sry,but there are way worse shows out there.
Of course you wouldn't know that ,because few people saw them and even fewer remember them.

Yeah im sure there were worse things that I didn't watch. Like Bikini warriors or Triage X. There are also shows I dropped like gunslinger stratos that were probably worse overall.

But just going of what I watched from start to finish those were the worst(maybe G-Reco as well).

Moaradin

The only thing I didnt like about Shirobako were some of the character designs.
Made them look way too young.

Yeah I wasn't a fan. Most of the female characters looked the same to me. I felt like without their hair colors I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Danmachi and Charlotte were great compared to some of the stuff I dropped this year lol. Chaos Dragon is a good example of a bad show ^

And the funny thing is I got a friend to watch Hyouka too. He started yesterday and he's been binging it too. He didn't believe me when I told him the show was good until he saw it with his own eyes.

dan2026

Yeah I wasn't a fan. Most of the female characters looked the same to me. I felt like without their hair colors I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Yeah they were so, I don't know, generic?
I kept forgetting know was who with some of them because they looked so similar.

Iron-Blooded Orphans 6

Slow episode but that's fine since it was all just character building and learning more about the state of the kids on the ship. Interesting view Orga has on his relationship with Mika, doesn't seem...healthy.

Iron-Blooded Orphans 6

Slow episode but that's fine since it was all just character building and learning more about the state of the kids on the ship. Interesting view Orga has on his relationship with Mika, doesn't seem...healthy.

"His eyes. They are always watching me". There is no escaping Mika's gaze.

Jintor

The only thing I didnt like about Shirobako were some of the character designs.
Made them look way too young.

the char design all around was really... well... really anime :T

it made the characters based around irl people even more jarring, even if they'd been softened for the style

Taruranto

Hyouka 17

So yeah the Festival arc was good as advertised what with the unconventional approach to the mystery, the perfect episode 14, and the characterization on display. Definitely did not turn out how I thought it would in the end yet was entirely plausible due to individual threads becoming intertwined towards the end. A couple visual things in this arc stood out to me that I didn't appreciate until the end. First was Satoshi's goofyass costume which had me scratching my head initially but sort of revealed itself to be something of a visual pun concerning Oreki's relationship with the other members of the Classics Club. For the majority of this arc, Oreki's maintained a fixed position in their club room and the others really just sort of orbit around him as they run around the festival doing this or that. Fittingly there's a globe to his right in the club room too. That line of thinking also extends to how his personality in general is like gravity itself, often bringing others back down to Earth. The second was the use of cosplay in the Manga society. That too I initially shrugged off as some visual gag done for the sake of things. It started to become clear, with Mayaka at least, that there was this sort of dissatisfaction with herself and the cosplay offered a degree of escapism as she struggled with an identity issue in the face of her peers at the Manga club. What I did not see coming was that also extended to Kouchi, providing for the viewer something more to the emotional climax between her and Mayaka at the end of the arc when Mayaka learned her frustrations at feeling inferior due to always looking up to others wasn't necessarily a problem unique to her.

Hyouka 18

I think I tbetter get why Firehawk described the backahlf of the show as more building the relationship between Oreki and Chitanda now. Mystery itself was mundane as all hell but it facilitated some time between just those two and Oreki's motivation to look into it showed a different side of him.

Hyouka 19

The most amusing thing about this ep was how the mystery was essentially meaningless and used to create a reason for Chitanda and Oreki to spend some time together. The real climax comes at the end when they both claim to not remember why they initially started the little game. It's made clear early on that Chitanda has an excellent memory so she likely wouldn't have forgotten and Oreki likely wouldn't have forgotten that so there's this lovely little bit of ambiguity going on as to whether or not someone actually did forget or if one is just lying to spend some more time with the other. (They're both liars.)

Hyouka 20

Not a lot to say past it being really nice to see how Oreki was willing to sacrifice in order to protect Chitanda's reputation.

Hyouka 21

What I appreciated most in this one was Oreki being somewhat puzzled by the change in Satoshi's personality as it runs so contrary to his own policy of inertia. Otherwise another great ep (they're all great eps) with some very effective dramatic imagery that does justice to just how importantly students might treat that tradition.

Hyouka 22 FIN

I knew people had referred to these final eps as an arc but I never fully grasped it as it was ostensibly standalone episodes. I didn't realize this one would tie it all together in such a nice way what with the buildup of the Oreki and Chitanda's relationship early in the arc and the fallout of the Valentine episode giving Oreki a new perspective to help better frame his own feelings.

===

Nothing I'm going to write since it's probably been covered over and over by those better equipped to. 10/10 etc

But did you fell asleep asleep during it.

If Owarimonogatari remains as strong after the first 3 episodes my AotY rating would probably go s.th. like this:

Owarimonogatari > Shirobako > Soma > Hibike! > OPM

Ace of the Diamond Second Season Episode 32 – The Resolve for Responsibility

Furuya always breaks lol. Reasons why Kawakami is a better Ace than he is.

Still how did Miyuki and the others miss it but the ones in the stand noticed?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can't have a "worst" of the year because not enough people competely watch garbage that's not good enough to finish.

Even the hatewatchers only will watch like one infamously trite show a season.

AOTY is just gonna be Shokugeki no Soma, which is cheating since it's a ridiculously faithful adaptation of its source material.

phaze

You can't have a "worst" of the year because not enough people competely watch garbage that's not good enough to finish.

AOTY is just gonna be Shokugeki no Soma, which is cheating since it's a ridiculously faithful adaptation of its source material.

Soma didn't struck as something that resonated well with the OT masses. OPM alone will blast it to smithereens.

--
My list will something along the lines of:
Owari > Arise > Noragami > OPM >Yuri Kuma and then Jojo, Shirobako, UBW, Soma, BBB/Snafu/Shimoneta in an order which I have yet to sort.

Fate/Stay Night 18-19
Caster doesn't have much luck with Archers huh ? Surprised to see that Rin's and Sakura's past was pretty much already revealed here. After not seeing it in UBW, I thought it was savoured for HF. (Unless it's another Deen insert from the other routes)

This was slightly less bad as at least there was plenty of decent animation, especially in the Saber vs Assasin fight. Kuzuki is still a shit tier character.

DiGiKerot

Fate/Stay Night 18-19

Caster doesn't have much luck with Archers huh ? Surprised to see that Rin's and Sakura's past was pretty much already revealed here. After not seeing it in UBW, I thought it was savoured for HF. (Unless it's another Deen insert from the other routes)

This was slightly less bad as at least there was plenty of decent animation, especially in the Saber vs Assasin fight. Kuzuki is still a shit tier character.

The VN saves if for HF - the Deen version, IIRC, of the anime had their own padded-out version of the Kazuki/Caster arc of the Fate route which obviously reveals that thing which wasn't revealed in the VN.

dan2026

the char design all around was really... well... really anime :T

it made the characters based around irl people even more jarring, even if they'd been softened for the style

Jarring is the right word.
They looked more like highschoolers (or at least anime highschoolers) than young industry professionals.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma didn't struck as something that resonated well with the OT masses. OPM alone will blast it to smithereens.

--
My list will something along the lines of:
Owari > Arise > Noragami > OPM >Yuri Kuma and then Jojo, Shirobako, UBW, Soma, BBB/Snafu/Shimoneta in an order which I have yet to sort.

Fate/Stay Night 18-19

If we're talking about "the masses" who are just regular joes who don't care about whatever anime tropes and franchise politic, UBW aired this year and was very popular; I think there will be some surprise at how far it pushes up those lists.

And yes, 18-19 from the Deen anime is just an insert, there's basically nothing about Sakura in any route other than Heaven's Feel.

Mailbox

If those are your only issues, I would be the perfect person for the worst anime of the year decision.

I watch crap all the time, rarely ever drop something, and I've watched stuff that's quite obscure.

Haha..........

Yeah

Cornbread78

If those are your only issues, I would be the perfect person for the worst anime of the year decision.

I watch crap all the time, rarely ever drop something, and I've watched stuff that's quite obscure.

Haha..........

Yeah

Sometimes the random obscure $hit anime is the best anime....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom