• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Holy Crap, I almost feel ashamed I've watched so much, not even including all of the older stuff on my MAL. It's all been from the past calendar year only, lol...

Below is a list of all the shows I watched that could qualify for AOTY for 2015:

Top 20 (so far):
SNAFU Too
Your Lie in April
Owarimonogatari
Log Horizon 2nd Season
Yona of the Dawn
Nisekoi
Fruit of Girisaia
Charlotte
Gate
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Prison School
Shimoneta
Actually, I Am
Working !!!
Rokka no Yuusha
Ore Monogatari!!
DanMachi
Plastic Memories
Yamada-Kun and the 7 Witches
Etotama

The Rest:
Rakudai Kishi no Cavelry
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Sakurako
Comet Lucifer
Heavy Object
Utawarerumono
Concrete Revolution
Young Jack Black
Komori-san wa Kotowarenai
Ushio and Tora
Gansta
Overlord
Monster Musume
School Live
Umaru-chan
Shirobakka
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!
Classroom Crisis
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Wakaba*Girl
Shokugeki no Souma
Punchline
Triage X
The Testament of Sister New Devil
Isuca
Unlimited Fafnir

I'm not sure about the placement of that top 20, it's tight between You're Lie in April and SNAFU Too. I have no idea how to break the rest of this list down, but not bad for my first year watching broadcast Anime.

BUBUKI/BURANKI(winter 2016, Sanzigen) official site opened.
http://bbkbrnk.com/

Character designs.
EMAEEHB.jpg
ujtmU5I.jpg
6UPDntR.jpg

rj5XMDq.jpg
LCsvRLY.jpg

Happy birthday Javac!

Holy Crap, I almost feel ashamed I've watched so much, not even including all of the older stuff on my MAL. It's all been from the past calendar year only, lol...

Damn, I'm in the same boat as you right now, all those shows man, I don't even know what to pick.

Did you watch Soma already? I Didn't see you posting about it.

Edit: Shirobako spelled as Shirobakka. Cornbread firing shots right now.

Cornbread78

Thank you! That cake sure looks good, can't remember the last time I got one. I think that I should treat myself to one sometime :p

Yeah, we need BGBW to make a GAF-Chan edition of that cake and picture.

Happy birthday Javac!

Damn, I'm in the same boat as you right now, all those shows man, I don't even know what to pick.

Did you watch Soma already? I Didn't see you posting about it.

Edit: Shirobako spelled as Shirobakka. Cornbread firing shots right now.

Oops, Freudian slip. I'll have to fix that after lunch, lol. No, I was saving Soma for right now to watch, but it's been really busy. Maybe once I'm done with They are my Noble Masters.

phaze

The VN saves if for HF - the Deen version, IIRC, of the anime had their own padded-out version of the Kazuki/Caster arc of the Fate route which obviously reveals that thing which wasn't revealed in the VN.

And yes, 18-19 from the Deen anime is just an insert, there's basically nothing about Sakura in any route other than Heaven's Feel.
Right, thanks for clearing that up.

FSN 20

In which Shirou comes to terms with the fact that he wants to bone a ~1500 year old ghost.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Right, thanks for clearing that up.

FSN 20

In which Shirou comes to terms with the fact that he wants to bone a ~1500 year old ghost.

Didn't he already bone her at that point? Oh, sorry, I mean, commune with her mana transfer dragon.

pbayne

Escalowne 11-14

Jesus stakes were raised big in such a short time. The plot moves at a million miles an hour, no faffing around it's great. Van is terrifying for a protagonist. Like he's more brutal and scary than most villains in other shows.

I love his rivalry with Dilandu as well. Just that ultra evil asshole that constantly hounds the MC. He loves being an asshole, similar to Gauron from FMP.

phaze

Didn't he already bone her at that point? Oh, sorry, I mean, commune with her mana transfer dragon.

I remain eternally confused by those scenes, as at least in the anime, it is never outright said that they're having sex and it is never mentioned again.

+ They were both fully clothed when they woke up !

Cross Ange isn't really even a giant robot show.

It has an abundance of mecha and it's from Sunrise. Therefore it qualifies as one.

Really? Because I watched all of Captain Earth and I can tell you Captain Earth is more rife with the typical mecha issues.

Ange is actually a good protagonist so it can't be the poster boy anyway!

Captain Earth isn't popular and easily forgettable.

Cross Ange however, is popular. That's not good.

Now more mecha shows are going to be like Cross Ange and people will think that's a good thing.

No, it's not a good thing.

Gone is the sheer innocence and lightheartedness of adventures with giant robots.

We're not going to get fun enjoyable stuff like this anymore because of Cross Ange.

Cross Ange poisoned our mecha, burned our good writing, and delivered a plague onto anime!

Now more mecha shows are going to be like Cross Ange and people will think that's a good thing.

Gone is the sheer innocence and lightheartedness of adventures with giant robots.

We're not going to get fun enjoyable stuff like this anymore because of Cross Ange.

Cross Ange poisoned our mecha, burned our good writing, and delivered a plague onto anime!

I can assure you that that isn't going to happen and we will keep getting normal, not entertaining garbage like Argevollen and Buddy Complex instead. Cross Ange didn't kill super robots because super robots were already dead, dude. Cross Ange isn't popular enough to totally shift the genre like Gundam, Evangelion, SEED or Geass.

It has an abundance of mecha and it's from Sunrise. Therefore it qualifies as one.

Good mecha was put on life support long before Cross Ange even existed. Blaming it for old trends is silly.

Cross Ange was not abnormally successful (~6400 volume sales), and only continues a long line of Sunrise twisty trashy mecha anime such as Code Geass and Valvrave. It is not the progenitor of any trends.

I can assure you that that isn't going to happen and we will keep getting normal, not entertaining garbage like Argevollen and Buddy Complex instead. Cross Ange didn't kill super robots because super robots were already dead, dude. Cross Ange isn't popular enough to totally shift the genre like Gundam, Evangelion, SEED or Geass.

Good mecha was put on life support long before Cross Ange even existed. Blaming it for old trends is silly.

Cross Ange was not abnormally successful (~6400 volume sales), and only continues a long line of Sunrise twisty trashy mecha anime such as Code Geass and Valvrave. It is not the progenitor of any trends.

All I'm saying is, Cross Ange is one of the worst, most heinous mecha shows of all time and the fact that it gets praise here is not a good sign for future mecha shows.

Cornbread78

Well, we have no idea on sales, but Comet Lucifer has been pretty self-contained to this point with no trashy $hit, so there's that.

All I'm saying is, Cross Ange is one of the worst, most heinous mecha shows of all time and the fact that it gets praise here is not a good sign for future mecha shows.

What's praised in here doesn't mean shit for the industry. And Cross Ange is only "praised" here as entertaining trash, which is exactly what it is. It's not going to kill your already moribund mecha genre any more than your typical slice of life moe show is killing all those awesome 80s-style action shows.

Well we have zero actual effect on the industry so I don't see why you would think that? I'm 99% certain no one here bought the Blu-Rays.

Also, Valvrave is far worse.

It's not like people don't praise good mecha when they appear, such as Gundam Build Fighters, but there's not too much of that coming out. Otherwise there are a number of people who enjoy watching silly trash. The praise Cross Ange gets is no different than the praise Garzey's Wing gets.

Cornbread78

What's praised in here doesn't mean shit for the industry. And Cross Ange is only "praised" here as entertaining trash, which is exactly what it is. It's not going to kill your already moribund mecha genre any more than your typical slice of life moe-blob loli show is killing all those awesome 80s-style action shows.

If I agree with you here completely, can you forgive my partial dislike for Shirobako?

Firemind

I thought AnimeGAF is fueled by hatred.

I think it's cute he thinks Cross Ange is the worst mecha ever or something and completely disregard the utter shit that came out in the nineties and noughties. Oh, to be young and naive.

phaze

Stop making me want to watch Cross Ange.

Kyousougiga 06

I've watched this show in its entirety and I still have little clue of what exactly transpires here at the end. Magical science ftw I guess. Great episode though this time it dragged a bit in the first half.

Well, we have no idea on sales, but Comet Lucifer has been pretty self-contained to this point with no trashy $hit, so there's that.

Honestly I've lost lots of faith in Comet Lucifer after episode 3.

It's slowly picking up just a tad, but I can just imagine it going downhill really fast any time now. The pacing hasn't exactly been good.

Try Gravion

That was over a decade ago and I don't think it's exactly remembered well.

What's praised in here doesn't mean shit for the industry. And Cross Ange is only "praised" here as entertaining trash, which is exactly what it is. It's not going to kill your already moribund mecha genre any more than your typical slice of life moe show is killing all those awesome 80s action shows.

Well we have zero actual effect on the industry so I don't see why you would think that? I'm 99% certain no one here bought the Blu-Rays.

Also, Valvrave is far worse.

It's not like people don't praise good mecha when they appear, such as Gundam Build Fighters, but there's not too much of that coming out. Otherwise there are a number of people who enjoy watching silly trash. The praise Cross Ange gets is no different than the praise Garzey's Wing gets.

I get that people enjoy watching silly trash and it's not going to affect what else gets made in the future. I just don't want the majority of answers to: "What's a good mecha show?" in here to be Cross Ange while all the recommendations of TTGL, G Gundam, and Evangelion get drowned out.

I get that people enjoy watching silly trash and it's not going to affect what else gets made in the future. I just don't want the majority of answers to: "What's a good mecha show?" in here to be Cross Ange while all the recommendations of TTGL, G Gundam, and Evangelion get drowned out.

Hardly anyone recommends Cross Ange in earnest and TTGL, G Gundam, and Evangelion are the most vanilla reccomendations you could possibly make. Everyone has seen those shows.

Evangelion is the most popular anime series of all time.

I don't see anyone recommending VOTOMS or Layzner or Patlabor either.

Cornbread78

Honestly I've lost lots of faith in Comet Lucifer after episode 3.
It's slowly picking up just a tad, but I can just imagine it going downhill really fast any time now. The pacing hasn't exactly been good.

True, but the last couple episodes have gotten pretty damn good.

Stop making me want to watch Cross Ange.

But it's a train wreck worthy of the experience.... Angelisa-sama is one of the best MC's "eva."

C'mon dude.... Ok, maybe at some point, I'll try to stay awake through the last few episodes. But not until I watch Soma.

I'm just going to stop talking about Cross Ange now since at this point the very subject of it just makes me angry and want to rant.

Sorry I drove things off course in here.

Ascheroth

Fafner Heaven and Earth

This was really, really good. It continued to general tone of the TV show and the OVA, with a tragic undertone, but always a bit of hope.
The visuals looked great. I think Canons design changed the most, but it was for the better.
The characters were great. I really liked Kurusu and his struggle and dedication. I hope something good happens to him and the new Mir, whatever they became.
I generally really like the concept behind the Festum. They make for some really interesting enemies, but could also become friends. I wonder which direction Exodus will be taking this.
The mech action was awesome. The CG looked great. Mark Zero was a beast. Kazuki reverse assimilated the shit out of everything, as usual.

And again, the music was impressive.

I'm curious now how Exodus looks in comparison :)

Cough Fafner cough.

pbayne

This comment saddens me with how true it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom