• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fafner Heaven and Earth
And again, the music was impressive.

I'm curious now how Exodus looks in comparison :)

You just need to consider that the original aired in 2004, the movie aired in 2010, and Exodus aired in 2015. The quality only keeps getting better.

And yeah, the soundtrack stays pretty great as well. It's great how they managed to keep angela performing every single OP/ED/insert for the entire series.

It's doomed by being a sequel to a series that few here have watched.

Unfortunately the case. I'm really glad I spent time backlogging through it in time for the second half of Exodus.

JulianImp

Yesterday's random CR anime lunchtime had my cousin and I watch Testament of Sister New Devil, which was hilarious since we were looking at each other in amazement every five seconds or so. Then we reached a part where the MC woke up with his newfound step-sister straddling and grinding him, then making a remark about feeling something hard, and we bailed out right then an there... Seriously, this show has was even more awkward to watch than freaking TLR:D, even though I guess neither would be the kind of show I'd be comfortable watching together with another person.

The good thing that came out of it is that we ended up watching Kyousougiga ep 2 (and later watched 3 as we had dinner), but we still have lots of catching up to do for the current let's watch that's ending tomorrow.

Today I watched Owarimonogatari ep6, and I've got to say watching Ougi get mad and act all passive-agressive was fun (serves he/she/it right!). Oikura had a pretty interesting arc that also helped show Aragi's growth, but this season sadly ended up boring my cousin with its focus on a very limited number of characters and locations, so I'm now back to watching it on my own.

Finally, I've got to say that I too am not really feeling Young Jack Black and its ham-fisted moral dilemmas. I'll probably watch ep6 later, but I might end up dropping the show if things continue to be as stale as they've been on previous episodes.

Ascheroth

It's not like people don't praise good mecha when they appear, such as Gundam Build Fighters, but there's not too much of that coming out. Otherwise there are a number of people who enjoy watching silly trash. The praise Cross Ange gets is no different than the praise Garzey's Wing gets.

There was also Knights of Sidonia quite recently!

Cornbread78

I'm just going to stop talking about Cross Ange now since at this point the very subject of it just makes me angry and want to rant.

Sorry I drove things off course in here.

No need to apologize, look at the wonderful conversation is wrought. There is no synthetic way to reproduce that...

The good thing that came out of it is that we ended up watching Kyousougiga ep 2 (and later watched 3 as we had dinner), but we still have lots of catching up to do for the current let's watch that's ending tomorrow.

nah, you have a few more days dude. I think 7 unlocked today, so we won't be done until Thursday. Then we'll start Rozen Maiden (2013) on Friday,

You can't have a "worst" of the year because not enough people competely watch garbage that's not good enough to finish.

Even the hatewatchers only will watch like one infamously trite show a season.

AOTY is just gonna be Shokugeki no Soma, which is cheating since it's a ridiculously faithful adaptation of its source material.

Worst of the Year typically ends up being "worst of the things I was looking forward to and thus probably not actually that bad". The answer for actually worst anime this year is probably Maria the Virgin Witch, which I watched through the entirety of and then attempted to hang myself from the balcony. Luckily, my neighbors saved me and though I can't remember the exact events I do remember them saying something along the lines of "..I won't let you die on my balcony."

I'm not sure who AotY should go to at all this year. Shokugeki seems like a good bet, but Baby Steps, SNAFU, Owari, and... did Your Lie In April come out this year? I'd personally put Subette in the running as well with the caveat that I understand the animation is somewhat rough. Did I mention Baby Steps?

Worst of the Year typically ends up being "worst of the things I was looking forward to and thus probably not actually that bad". The answer for actually worst anime this year is probably Maria the Virgin Witch, which I watched through the entirety of and then attempted to hang myself from the balcony. Luckily, my neighbors saved me and though I can't remember the exact events I do remember them saying something along the lines of "..I won't let you die on
my balcony.

You're kidding right? Maria was great and severely overlooked.

JCG

I'd easily second that thought.

Honestly, the anime industry would be a much better place if Maria the Virgin Witch happened to be anywhere close to being the "worst" anime of the year.

Why? Because that means things could only get even better if it were the starting point.

Too bad it's not and we get at least a dozen worse shows every single season instead.

Cornbread78

Worst of the Year typically ends up being "worst of the things I was looking forward to and thus probably not actually that bad". The answer for actually worst anime this year is probably Maria the Virgin Witch, which I watched through the entirety of and then attempted to hang myself from the balcony. Luckily, my neighbors saved me and though I can't remember the exact events I do remember them saying something along the lines of "..I won't let you die on my balcony."

I'm not sure who AotY should go to at all this year. Shokugeki seems like a good bet, but Baby Steps, SNAFU, Owari, and... did Your Lie In April come out this year? I'd personally put Subette in the running as well with the caveat that I understand the animation is somewhat rough. Did I mention Baby Steps?

Yup, it qualifies:

Aired: Oct 10, 2014 to Mar 20, 2015

I've been debating between it and SNAFU Too for the top spt, but Owarimonogatari is going to push the envelope there.

Ascheroth

Did people really even watch that or consider it good?

The most I've heard about it was that it was ugly, turned into a harem and there was a moe tentacle monster

Knights of Sidonia is great, but it does have some things that drag it down a bit.
It was full CG, which probably threw many off, but by no means was it ugly.
The action scenes were mindblowingly good and the universe itself was extremely interesting with lots of (weird) details. Not to forget the amazing architecture, background art and enemy design.
BN6JjCL.jpg
1aEqlhU.jpg
G6mzYhd.jpg
It's true that it got a bit harem-ish, especially the second season and sadly those parts did drag it down a bit. Though again, the universe and action are so good it easily compensates for that.
And don't you talk bad about Tsumugi :p

Edit: I nearly forgot to mention that it does have some incredible sound direction and an amazing soundtrack.

It was full CG, which probably threw many off, but by no means was it ugly.

Lemme just disagree with this. Knights of Sidonia was among the uglier anime I've seen. The janky animation (the motion AND weirdly low/badly interpolated framerate/fluidity), crap character design and detail as well as a bunch of ugly filters. By all means, it was ugly.

A few nice backgrounds and decent looking computer interfaces are merely drops on a hot stone.

Mailbox

I felt like the ending of Maria the virgin witch could have been better. It was actually refreshing to see an anime that wasn't overly dark and brooding that focused on the constant suffering of a character. It also looked into some interesting aspects on being just, marketing in religion, the concept of religion itself. The
attempted rape
scene was tough to swallow, but I appreciate them not shying away from it.

Worst anime of the year is vampire Holmes, no contest.

Worst tv anime of the year is probably lance n' masques so far. It's just painful to watch

The "surprisingly good anime" of the year is Yamada-kun and the 7 witches (followed closely by shimoneta)

Szadek

Clannad After Story - Ep6
The topicof days episode is....
Bestality!
Just kidding it was avery cute episode.

For some reason I never keep watching this anime for very long. I'm really not sure why.
I will try to continue watching it to the end this time.

Ushio to Tora - Ep 19
For the first time we see the main villain in action and it was worth waiting for this moment.
No wonder that everyone is affarid of that thing.

Ascheroth

Fafner Exodus - 01

Holy shit, this does indeed look even better then the movie.
Well, it's certainly off to a great start. Was nice seeing what everyone is up to now, since it happens 2 years after the movie.They introduced a lot of new characters, I'm curious where this is going.

Lemme just disagree with this. Knights of Sidonia was among the uglier anime I've seen. The janky animation (the motion AND weirdly low/badly interpolated framerate/fluidity), crap character design and detail as well as a bunch of ugly filters. By all means, it was ugly.

A few nice backgrounds and decent looking computer interfaces are merely drops on a hot stone.

Lemme just disagree with this. I think it captured the atmosphere and style of the manga really well. The human character design were average, true. But the non-human character design (and mech and Gauna and weapon/technology design) is amazing.
By all means, it looked good where it counted.

Cornbread78

Clannad After Story - Ep6
The topicof days episode is....
Bestality!
Just kidding it was avery cute episode.
For some reason I never keep watching this anime for very long. I'm really not sure why.
I will try to continue watching it to the end this time.

LOL. You are all set watching at a slow pace for the next 9- episodes or so, but honestly, it you can set aside 3 hours, do yourself the favor and watch ep15/16 straight through until the end. I won't say why, but seriously, do yourself the favor, it is soooo worth it.

Knights of Sidonia was the best mecha anime in 2014 & 2015 whatever that means.

CG was used quite well for the action scenes and the world building used some sci-fi concepts which aren't common in the mecha genre or general in anime.

And that Blame! cameo was sure something - https://youtu.be/MDA1bUkotIk
Wouldn't have a problem with a real adaptation of Blame! by Polygon Pictures.

To my original point, I'm sure there were things way worse than it that I just never bothered to watch, but of everything I watched it was by far the most butchered (and I watched Charlotte this year too). The story begins with a strong base concept - young girl has to battle between her ideals and reality as she grows to become a woman - and a lot of really interesting concepts - no strict "right or wrong", empathetic characters on both sides of the conflict, etc. And until the last quarter it handles these excellently.

And then Galfa, probably the best developing character of the series, becomes some sad sack of shit at the end of the series. No warning, just an instant change from a strong character to some loser. Bernard's death and Maria being forgiven directly clash with each other and drain a lot of the impact of each event.

To add insult to injury, the ending basically has Michael come down, do a small-sample questionnaire, and confirm, "Whelp, God, Maria is a hit!" (not to mention, no one bats an eyelash at him just showing up). It's made even more ridiculous by the fact that there are CLEARLY people there who don't like her at the end and the animators even went through the effort of giving them angry, confused, pained expressions. The final whip of shit icing is the whole "Well, darn it, you used the power of friendship on us! You win this time. Teehee. ;P" exchange. Retroactively goes back in time to ruin a lot of the best aspects of the show.

It's not a bad series at all, and that's part of the reason why I would rank it so low. To take such an excellent. excellent anime and completely drive it off the tracks in the last 2 episodes takes a special kind of lunacy. The contrast between the good and bad of the series just hammers nails of disappointment into me.

JulianImp

I felt like the ending of Maria the virgin witch could have been better. It was actually refreshing to see an anime that wasn't overly dark and brooding that focused on the constant suffering of a character. It also looked into some interesting aspects on being just, marketing in religion, the concept of religion itself. The
attempted rape
scene was tough to swallow, but I appreciate them not shying away from it.

Worst anime of the year is vampire Holmes, no contest.

Worst tv anime of the year is probably lance n' masques so far. It's just painful to watch

The "surprisingly good anime" of the year is Yamada-kun and the 7 witches (followed closely by shimoneta)

If I had to choose a surprise anime that I didn't think I'd like, it'd definitely be Rokka. I even dropped it after three eps of conspicuous CG monster battles and a setting that was cool but didn't amount to anything, but then I heard about it becoming less about bad CG action and more about a compelling mystery and got back to the show, and I'm definitely glad I did.

Shimoseka sadly ended up disappointing me with how much of a one-trick pony it ended up being with its humor, and Yamada-kun also felt a bit hollow with how unimportant most of the witches ended up being to the overall plot. I think Kokoro Connect is a much better show about exploring people's emotions compared to Yamada, and even the romance feels a bit more interesting in the former than the latter.

I'll probably have to list Non Non Biyori Repeat pretty high in my rankings for this year, and definitely my favorite slice of life show due to how natural it feels compared to other ones I've watched so far, creating a fun atmosphere of childish fun that makes perfect sense for the cast of little girls living on the countryside. Most of Renge's actions and reactions feel natural for a little kid her age unlike what I've seen in most other anime, which makes the show a really heartwarming experience.

BUBUKI/BURANKI(winter 2016, Sanzigen) official site opened.
http://bbkbrnk.com/

That's their 10th anniversary project, right? So they are probably going to position it as a showpiece of their studios capabilities. It'll be interesting to see how good the CG will be (especially since some of their recent output like in Arslan was pretty mediocre).
Personally I still think that they haven't surpassed Black Rock Shooter yet.

The teaser pictures give a BRS / generic battle action vibe, so I guess one shouldn't expect too much from a story standpoint.

phaze

FSN 21
013064csk3e.jpg
013067iar8x.jpg

Greatest love story ever told.

Wait, if the combination of Excalibur and Scabbard is powerfull enough to defend against Ea, why the hell Saber didn't use that in F/Z ? Or in later parts of UBW ?

I laughed when they shied away from even showing the kiss, only to imply sex tfu mana transfer immediately after that.

Of all the silly things I've read in the thread today this one got to me the most. Nice job.

After marathoning Gintama and Haikyuu I have come to realize that fujo taste isn't as rotten as I once thought

Ninja Slayer From Animation 1-2

AOTY. lol

What I got myself into? Based Trigger, YEEEART.

Okay. What the HELL I'm watching.

Just stop right now, surely you can find a better 13 episode series that isn't a meme show?

How is this dialogue even real

Qurupeke

Ninja Slayer From Animation 3

For a moment I thought that I was watching the wrong show but then YEEEART started. A bit less weird and it seems that it goes somewhere now.

Ninja Slayer From Animation 4

And that's how it's connected to the first story I guess. Yamoto x Asari is a thing too I guess

Just stop right now, surely you can find a better 13 episode series that isn't a meme show?

Ninja Slayer is addicting. I swear, I'll redeem myself by watching SNAFU and Hyouka after that.

Szadek

FSN 21

Wait, if the combination of Excalibur and Scabbard is powerfull enough to defend against Ea, why the hell Saber didn't use that in F/Z ? Or in later parts of UBW ?

I laughed when they shied away from even showing the kiss, only to imply sex tfu mana transfer immediately after that.
Fun fact: In german scabbard and vagina are spelled excatly the same.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
After marathoning Gintama and Haikyuu I have come to realize that fujo taste isn't as rotten as I once thought
Still looks pretty rotten from here. Haikyuu is not really pandering to a fujoshi appeal in its second season very much. You'll have to excuse me for not reveling in the vile incest art spewing forth from the community surrounding an already awful show like Osomatsu-san.

Phatmac

SHEESH!!!~ Funny as always especially Iyamu's horrible luck. The first part was fine but made me laugh with the flag bit. Second part was a rollercoaster of emotions that ended rather darkly. Thanks Obama for another good episode

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remain eternally confused by those scenes, as at least in the anime, it is never outright said that they're having sex and it is never mentioned again.

+ They were both fully clothed when they woke up !

If a scene looks like they were about to fuck then in the VN they probably fucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom