• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Ninja Slayer got dull fairly quickly. I heard it got better again but I didn't have much interest to continue. It's certainly no Inferno Cop.

Ninja Slayer got dull fairly quickly. I heard it got better again but I didn't have much interest to continue. It's certainly no Inferno Cop.

When it comes to "it got better" in reference to Ninja Slayer it means something funny happens every 4-5 episodes. Or they mean Nancy's bust. Either or.

The best thing in the show was
Ninja Slayer shattering the 4:3 to go into 16:9 for the final episode. That was a legitimate cool moment.

Phatmac

eqtODJd.jpg
They really are pushing the Yui/Kyoko ship this season aren't they? I'm still in full support of the Ayano/Kyoko ship but they still had a cute moment together that I can't deny. This episode was mostly about Kyoko messing around with cutting apples and making scary faces in the dark which was hilarious. I think I heard the council president actually say something this episode that I could hear. I must be going crazy for that to happen.

Gvitor

Asterisk 05-06

Since I've been pretty much only watching Haikyuu for the past week, I'm only now catching up on the rest.

Ayato is slowly getting a harem. The episodes were nice, though I could do with less of episode's 05 opening. That was slow, full of way too convoluted names that I won't care since they don't bother explaining and this will only be 1-cour. They should focus on the action.

And my god the rank #1 girl's voice is annoying. I can get past Claudia and the blue-haired girl stereotyped voices, but #1 girl is just awful.

Ascheroth

Asterisk 05-06

Since I've been pretty much only watching Haikyuu for the past week, I'm only now catching up on the rest.

Ayato is slowly getting a harem. The episodes were nice, though I could do with less of episode's 05 opening. That was slow, full of way too convoluted names that I won't care since they don't bother explaining and this will only be 1-cour. They should focus on the action.

And my god the rank #1 girl's voice is annoying. I can get past Claudia and the blue-haired girl stereotyped voices, but #1 girl is just awful.

Split cour actually.

It got dull within the first episode, it didn't even have 12 minutes of legs.

Surprised people are so down on it, I don't find it that funny but it's enjoyable to watch regardless, maybe because I like how it looks a lot.

But you should probably just watch Gintama instead.
I think it's still a pretty funny show, but humor is really subjective, so I'm not surprised.

Ascheroth

Fafner Exodus - 02

Strong follow-up to last episode, showing off all of the islands new pilots Fafners and skills, the arriving Human Army pilots Fafners and some new Festums.
Did I already mention that I really like all those new Festum designs? I hope there will be even more later on.
Miwa and Emery meeting was cute. Though Emeries eyes make her look like she has some sleeping problems. Maybe that's the price of the Mir fragment.
I find it interesting how much they are focusing on the little marks on the fingers caused by piloting. I never noticed this in the old series or movie. It makes me think this will be important sometime.
The 'Makabe Factor' stuff sounds strange. Curious where this is going. According to Soushis narration, nowhere good at least.

Some screencaps of episode 1 and 2:

JCG

And then Galfa, probably the best developing character of the series, becomes some sad sack of shit at the end of the series. No warning, just an instant change from a strong character to some loser. Bernard's death and Maria being forgiven directly clash with each other and drain a lot of the impact of each event.

I would still disagree with that statement. There was a fair amount of nuance to his character in general, which includes the last quarter of the show. As a matter of fact, I liked what they did with Galfa precisely because it's rather chillingly realistic when you actually try to think about it.

Believe it or not,
attempting rape
isn't really something done exclusively by inhuman monsters in real life. More often than not, the victims know the perpetrators and have had a regular -even absolutely friendly- relationship with them. Normal people have the capacity to become monsters, in other words. Co-workers, friends, family, etc. are far more likely to fit the description of those responsible for such acts than a random force of pure evil. Therefore, the fact they established him as relatively sympathetic was a positive thing, in my opinion, because they also gave him a couple of reasons for his resentment without justifying his actions.

Moreover, I don't see the fates of Maria and Bernard as problematic. Each of them essentially got exactly what they deserved.

To add insult to injury, the ending basically has Michael come down, do a small-sample questionnaire, and confirm, "Whelp, God, Maria is a hit!" (not to mention, no one bats an eyelash at him just showing up). It's made even more ridiculous by the fact that there are CLEARLY people there who don't like her at the end and the animators even went through the effort of giving them angry, confused, pained expressions.

Well, the story was set in the Middle Ages and all kinds of miracles were acceptable. It'd take me too long to discuss in detail, but I think the show implied (even from early on) that God was actually testing Maria's idealism/resolve rather than truly punishing her. Michael was the "bad cop" in charge of enforcing the letter of the law, so to speak, but the spirit of the same was already on her side. Thus she didn't really "win" as much as overcome a challenge.

If you're interested in trivia, the original manga did avoid the questionnaire (but, once again, I would say the source of your complaint was a nice extra touch in the anime, because explicitly showing that some folks will always doubt or outright hate Maria was a necessary acknowledgement that neither side was perfect) and makes Joseph act more badass in the end (though still entirely based on the power-of-love/friendship, so don't expect a radically different message). Regardless, Michael reaches the same general conclusion and the rest follows in similar fashion.

Which means you'd probably have many of the same issues with the manga, but I am satisfied with both versions of the story.

Got you covered

Really the site is incomplete without Oikura. Well I guess it was always incomplete since Senjougahara could fill 100 by herself

Edit: Woah wait there are more if you click on the left side, site just got better

Still needs Kaiki and Oikura

Senjougahara's I love you is still a top 3 moements.

Also Monogatari gets some wonderful special websites.

http://kodansha-box.jp/topics/nishio/drops/

With at least 2-3 seasons to go and three Kizu movies. People will remember Monogatari as the Legend of the Galactic Heroes of the 21th century.

Fafner Exodus - 02

Strong follow-up to last episode, showing off all of the islands new pilots Fafners and skills, the arriving Human Army pilots Fafners and some new Festums.
Did I already mention that I really like all those new Festum designs? I hope there will be even more later on.
Miwa and Emery meeting was cute. Though Emeries eyes make her look like she has some sleeping problems. Maybe that's the price of the Mir fragment.
I find it interesting how much they are focusing on the little marks on the fingers caused by piloting. I never noticed this in the old series or movie. It makes me think this will be important sometime.
The 'Makabe Factor' stuff sounds strange. Curious where this is going. According to Soushis narration, nowhere good at least.

Some screencaps of episode 1 and 2:

I was actually curious about that the first time I saw it. Seems like it was just a retcon, since the ring marks never showed up previously but are implied to have always been there.

I really like the shot of the Zwolf in the bottom right. It was one of the first images I saw of Exodus while I was watching the original, and made me so much more motivated to get to it.

Sterok

Yuru Yuri S3 6

Kyoko needs to step up her troll game. She's losing her touch and can only really get Akari. Poor Ayano. It's obvious Kyoko is just into Yui. President gets some screen-time. Cutting apples is apparently an art form.

Since Gundam IBO is good and Xenoblade X is coming out soon I have to ask, what's a good short mech series? I'll need more names for my Skells.

Jintor

gonna watch me some yuru yuri s3 i guess, but i'll pair it with something.

should i finally watch Utena or Paranoia Agent? No real relation between the choices, just things I've been tossing up about watching for a while now.

should i finally watch Utena or Paranoia Agent? No real relation between the choices, just things I've been tossing up about watching for a while now.

You should watch Utena. Everyone should watch Utena.

I would still disagree with that statement. There was a fair amount of nuance to his character in general, which includes the last quarter of the show. As a matter of fact, I liked what they did with Galfa precisely because it's rather chillingly realistic when you actually try to think about it.

Believe it or not,
attempting rape
isn't really something done exclusively by inhuman monsters in real life. More often than not, the victims know the perpetrators and have had a regular -even absolutely friendly- relationship with them. Normal people have the capacity to become monsters, in other words. Co-workers, friends, family, etc. are far more likely to fit the description of those responsible for such acts than a random force of pure evil. Therefore, the fact they established him as relatively sympathetic was a positive thing, in my opinion, because they also gave him a couple of reasons for his resentment without justifying his actions.

Moreover, I don't see the fates of Maria and Bernard as problematic. Each of them essentially got exactly what they deserved.

You're misinterpreting my issue with Gafla. It's not the attempt (which, in his mind, is justifiable. He is doing it to save Maria. He's trying to do what's best for her. I don't think he even resents her at that point; in fact, I would argue it's the opposite.) it's his 180 in character during the last episode. Gafla wasn't a "good" character, but he always did what he thought was right (not necessarily right for anything but becoming king..) . He always understood his role and responsibility. No matter what happened, he always had that. In that last episode, he completely shifts to throwing blame on Maria and denouncing her while shoving the responsibility of his own actions on her. It's a massacre of his characterization up until then and I can't believe there was a reason other than the animation studio didn't know what to do with him.

Bernard dies in such a way as to imply that humanity cannot decide it's own destiny. That's the exact opposite of what happens to Maria who is forgiven for all her transgressions. The fates of Maria and Bernard directly contradict one another in terms of the thought process of the angels and God. The impact of either would have been much more effective if the other had shared a similar fate.Instead, it ends up just looking arbitrary and played towards giving the fans an ending they wanted and not necessarily the ending it deserves - not an uncommon problem in anime and manga. Not to mention it's a huge asspull that the whole scene was her yelling at an angel that he was wrong for about 10 seconds, he threw back the fact that absolutely all but 3 people totally hate her, and then for some reason he said “Whoops. You win.”

Since Gundam IBO is good and Xenoblade X is coming out soon I have to ask, what's a good short mech series? I'll need more names for my Skells.

Gunbuster if you haven't seen it, is a 6 episode OVA, and is one of the classics of the genre, so I highly recommend that one.

Mazinkaiser is an 8 episode OVA, and if you enjoy that you should also check out Mazinkaiser VS The Great General of Darkness, which is only one episode.

Getter Robo Armageddon is a 13 episode OVA, though you might want to watch New Getter Robo (also 13 episodes) or read the manga before checking that one out, as Getter Robo Armageddon kinda assumes you're familiar with the franchise.

wonzo

Banned

Utena, Paranoia Agent's ending is a real mess but it has some nice "standalone" eps.

I was actually curious about that the first time I saw it. Seems like it was just a retcon, since the ring marks never showed up previously but are implied to have always been there.

I really like the shot of the Zwolf in the bottom right. It was one of the first images I saw of Exodus while I was watching the original, and made me so much more motivated to get to it.

I thought they were on Soushi and Kazuki before Exodus.

John Blade

Watch Paranoia Agent as it's actually an interesting show when I watch it.

Since the current season is a bit sparse it's a good opportunity to get a longer show like Utena off of your backlog! (it's also great)

Gunbuster if you haven't seen it, is a 6 episode OVA, and is one of the classics of the genre, so I highly recommend that one.

Mazinkaiser is an 8 episode OVA, and if you enjoy that you should also check out Mazinkaiser VS The Great General of Darkness, which is only one episode.

Getter Robo Armageddon is a 13 episode OVA, though you might want to watch New Getter Robo (also 13 episodes) before checking that one out, as Getter Robo Armageddon kinda assumes you're familiar with the franchise.

You missed your chance to recommend Cross Ange.

Puruzi

Banned

Getter Robo Armageddon is a 13 episode OVA, though you might want to watch New Getter Robo (also 13 episodes) or read the manga before checking that one out, as Getter Robo Armageddon kinda assumes you're familiar with the franchise.

Diebuster is better than gunbuster though

Szadek

Your only choice is to watch Utena. The path you must take has been prepared for you.

Watch Utena. I need to go back to it if the dub is still legally available online. I didnt make it halfway since I fell behind when it was airing on tv :(

I don't think we need to have the decade old discussion of Diebuster vs Gunbuster every time its brought up guys

Senjougahara's I love you is still a top 3 moements.

Senjougahara is like ultimate hard mode tsundere. The most venomous tsun-tsun but the sweetest dere-dere. The parts where she goes dere-dere - "I love you", Bake episode 12 and when Kaiki accepts her offer and she goes to the bathroom so he can't see her cry are often the best moments in the entire series.

That's why she's best
after Kaiki

Huh, really? I watched a couple episodes and decided to drop it pretty quickly.

What made it good? I'm not against giving it another shot!

I like the rather grounded approach (for a show about witches and angels at least) and relative accuracy to the Hundred Years War time period (aside from a few things) and when it comes to handling Christian material which Japan in general has an atrocious track record of it does a rather fine job.

Haikyuu 23

Surprised this is the first time an episode ended on a match point.

I feel bad for Yamaguchi for missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom