• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Thankfully there are ways of selectively blocking images.

That's actually a good idea!

Fafner Exodus - 04

Mark Nicht is a beast, even without a pilot and being sealed away.
"Who would have thought the child of non-existence... would refuse to return to nothingness."

Another great episode. The new pilots are fun and the scenes where Commander Makabe and Toumi-sensei informed their parents and their reactions were great, in a sad way.
It really reminds you that being a mech pilot in this universe actually really sucks. But there is no other choice.

Fafner Exodus - 04

"Who would have thought the child of non-existence... would refuse to return to nothingness."

Another great episode. The new pilots are fun and the scenes where Commander Makabe and Toumi-sensei informed their parents and their reactions were great, in a sad way.
It really reminds you that being a mech pilot in this universe actually really sucks. But there is no other choice.

Being anyone in that universe though, one where I wouldnt want to be in. Im amazed how everyone can maintain having hope.

Yes a full version of that image. Mika looking at Yuu makes me laugh so much. I hope he does that in the anime. Im sad we wont get more than two seasons of this anime. It deserves so many more.
CTd85WLUkAAwqlM.jpg:large

Fafner Exodus - 04

Seeing the walls inside the shrine outlined with portraits of all the dead pilots and Alvis staff really brings it home how sad their whole situation has been.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 37

The evil scientist episodes was on the weaker side of things for me. They were decent but paled in comparison to what has been shown so far, and it felt like it dragged on a little long. Me never ending up caring for the puppets also didn't help.
Mask turning out looking like a "bishoujo" (and having at least 20+ years in advanced knowledge?) isn't something I expected, but her fights are fun to watch. The whole nurse thing feels stupid and forced right now.

The new opponents I feel is more interesting, with more creative abilities and the powerful rumors that follows them.
Kurama VS Cursed Painter had a few nice looking effects on top of being an exciting fight, and the after-lasting effect should prove quite interesting.

jman2050

The Nadeko hate really makes me sad. She's not perfect, not even close to Gahara or Tsukihi, but she's pretty good
when she's not insane...

That's the problem though,
when is she ever NOT insane? The end of her Bake arc and when Kaiki removes the snake, that's about it as far as I can remember.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Asterisk 5 (or is this 6, I forget)

Chivalry wins the week because Kirin is the moe-ist of moe blobs. And this is in spite of the fact that Chivalry MC still hasn't kicked the gross incest sister to the curb.

Cornbread78

So that means you gonna have pedo tendencies and get banned by Evilore again?

I just wanted to say (a day later since I just saw it), that this was a little uncalled for. Regardless the reason(s), let's let it go and move on already.

So I have two Crunchyroll passes to hand out. Let me know if you want one and I'll PM you the code.

Dude, that would be sweet if you still have one left.

KanameYuuki

Love Live! 12...

I did not sign up for this, no one ever said anything about feels : ( I was promised a lovely anime full of happiness, and what do I get? they make my 2nd favorite girl cry.

Jaxec

Utawarerumono 1-26

Decided to watch the first season while waiting for the new episode and I enjoyed it. Liked the characters and the story for the most part. Though I didn't really get the whole
futuristic stuff

Cornbread78

Soma ep.1
Well, it's about time I caught up on Soma and Euphonium before the AOTY voting starts. That 1st episode was, umm, interesting. Lots of moaning and tenticles! Lol. At least it was equal opportunity fanservice because those dudes were ripped, lol. Either way, the premise is interesting, so let's have fun with this one.

Soma ep.1
Well, it's about time I cough up Soma and Euphonium before the AOTY voting starts. That episode was, umm, interesting. Lots of moaning and tenticles! Lol. At least it was equal opportunity fanservice because those dudes were ripped, lol. Either way, the premise is interesting, do let's have fun with this one.
You still have all of Soma, Euphonium, and Hyouka. I still can't believe you haven't watched the latter!

Still Soma was one of the best things to come out of 2015's anime line-up.

Cornbread78

Are the prices actually worth it during the winter sale? Their sale prices haven't been lower than the prices on Amazon, at least for the things I've looked at.

EDIT: Oh and I've got two Crunchyroll guest passes if anybody wants one, or two.

I'll take any extra's you have.

Tuck

Soma ep.1
Well, it's about time I caught up on Soma and Euphonium before the AOTY voting starts. That 1st episode was, umm, interesting. Lots of moaning and tenticles! Lol. At least it was equal opportunity fanservice because those dudes were ripped, lol. Either way, the premise is interesting, so let's have fun with this one.

Enjoy, its a wonderful show!

Cornbread78

Soma 2
Holy shit that cocky bastard, lol. I guess Erina is the waifu here, lol. It was an excellent way to break down the food and it's incrediants. The episode was fun even though Erin a tries to play the tsundere role, lol. A lot more sexually motivated moments with food than I thought though. Either way, good stuff.

PK Gaming

The Nadeko hate really makes me sad. She's not perfect, not even close to Gahara or Tsukihi, but she's pretty good
when she's not insane...

She's pretty weak until Nadeko Medusa.
Her going insane was actually what made her interesting in the first place

jbug617

Banned
Are the prices actually worth it during the winter sale? Their sale prices haven't been lower than the prices on Amazon, at least for the things I've looked at.

It's good (if you don't buy anime throughout the year) but on the daily sales they usually have 1 or 2 items that are very good. They also do bundles also.

Soma 2
Holy shit that cocky bastard, lol. I guess Erina is the waifu here, lol. It was an excellent way to break down the food and it's incrediants. The episode was fun even though Erin a tries to play the tsundere role, lol. A lot more sexually motivated moments with food than I thought though. Either way, good stuff.

You still haven't met the best girl.

javac

So after my little hiatus from anime I've decided that it might be time to return to the wonderful world of Japanese animation, and so my first anime that I’m going to tackle is a series that I’ve been meaning to watch for a long time now, Ping Pong The Animation.
Ping Pong is directed by Masaaki Yuasa, a director of whom I’ve come into contact with recently when watching Kaiba. Now unlike Kaiba, Ping Pong is an adaptation of a late 90’s manga of the same name, a fact that I was inundated with when I presented my qualms with Kaiba. A hectic show, I found it hard to keep up with but it goes without saying that I appreciated the sentiment and artistry behind Kaiba, but more importantly the guts that it had. It was brought to my attention that the works of Masaaki Yuasa fair better when they are adaptations, as his wonderful art style and powerful directing chops are contained and controlled. Now Ping Pong The Animation is often lauded as one of the better shows of recent time, and although the night is still young being only three episodes in with eight more down the line, I’d like to go out on a limb and make it clear that Ping Pong The Animation may in fact be one of the best anime series of all time, bar none.

Right off of the bat Ping Pong serves up visuals that are quite literally out of this world. Like a Ping Pong ball, each scene is ricocheted across the screen with beautiful transitions that keep the flow of the show fluid and kinetic, and likewise your eyes are vigorously returning each shot as you try to grasp each and every detail on the screen, and as such I found that when watching Ping Pong, a level of immersion was attained that I hadn’t reached in a very long time.
Characters are adorned with rough linework, both sketchy and fluid the characters almost shape shift as they move around the canvas, but don’t mistake this for low production values as this is very much a deliberate choice. And like Masaaki Yuasa’s many other works, Ping Pong stands out among the hundreds of cookie cutter anime series that are churned out every season as a diamond. Aspiring to be more than what other series that came before dared to be, Ping Pong doesn’t try to imitate any other series and instead it follows its own path. Ping Pong is everything that I look for in anime series, and although it wasn’t the biggest smash hit when it aired, it leaves me enthusiastic about the future of the medium and its potential. The way in which we can tell stories through pen and paper is near limitless and Ping Pong really demonstrates what’s achievable when we push the medium further and when creators aspire to be more.
Characters are distinctive without being an eyesore and without detracting from the world, as exuberant character designs often fall victim to. From the use of split screens in order to show two characters having an exchange to having other objects such as a plane and the sea morph into the world in order to visually show the characters frame of mind is compelling and visually stunning. The world and everything inside of it is stretched and morphed, like a ball being hit back and forth. Perspectives are played with, making what should be inconspicuous motions turn into something interesting.
Thus far, Ping Pong proves to be a series with minimal fluff, where every scene matters. Not once is my mind left to wonder, each second counts with each minute proving pivotal to the story. Each character is likable, with their motives displayed though the game of Ping Pong and I already find myself liking each and every one of them.

It’d be unfair to go on without mentioning the audio which is to say that it’s fantastic. The music is handled by Kensuke Ushio and is of a techno variety and it really adds a lot to the atmosphere. The ambiance during each match pays dividends and goes a long way in allowing all of the pieces to come together. Everything feels meticulous and yet free flowing all at the same time, like a Ping Pong match, the back and forth becomes hypnotic. Characters speaks different languages, from an audio standpoint, Ping Pong is both diverse and interesting.
I could ramble on and on about how fantastic this show is so far, and with no sign of slowing down I doubt that my enthusiasm will waver. But to articulate into words just how excited this show makes me feel is impossible. This really is what other shows should aspire to be, to look up to, but of course to imitate Ping Pong would be missing the point. Ping Pong is so great because it dears to be different, to leave its mark, and to have fun.

Line_HTX

Soma 2

Miss Erina is perfection. At first I didn't like the voice, but after hearing the seiyu again as Rory Mercury I have a better appreciation of her. Miss Erina is simply flawless. The only thing that would make her better is if she did the Ohoho laugh.

;)

javac

Glad you're giving something more contemporary a shot.

It's no secret that I tend to gravitate towards the older shows, and no doubt that paints an image of me which to be fair isn't helped when I proclaim outright that I don't really care for newer series. Ping Pong has always looked like an amazing series, a special series that deserved my attention and so far I've been rewarded for giving it my time. I never doubted it to be clear, but to witness such greatness in person has me teary eyed. As cheesy as it sounds, Ping Pong speaks to me on a level most other shows don't. I look forward to watching more of the series, to complete it and to make sure to watch many other series from this decade that I have yet to see, be it The Tatami Galaxy, House of Five Leaves and so forth. Seeing as its 4:50am, my viewing ends here for now!

Glad to see you enjoyed Ping Pong javac.

It's the sports anime for people who like and don't like sports anime.
I actually don't mind sports anime, I'd say that the genre interests me more than others looking at my watched and to watch list! From Joe to Ippo to your pseudo-sports-romance shows like Yawara and even Initial D if that counts! :p Pokemon's a sport, right? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom