• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

It's no secret that I tend to gravitate towards the older shows, and no doubt that paints an image of me which to be fair isn't helped when I proclaim outright that I don't really care for newer series. Ping Pong has always looked like an amazing series, a special series that deserved my attention and so far I've been rewarded for giving it my time. I never doubted it to be clear, but to witness such greatness in person has me teary eyed. As cheesy as it sounds, Ping Pong speaks to me on a level most other shows don't. I look forward to watching more of the series, to complete it and to make sure to watch many other series from this decade that I have yet to see, be it The Tatami Galaxy, House of Five Leaves and so forth. Seeing as its 4:50am, my viewing ends here for now!

That's more or less why it was the AOTY lock when it aired. Discussion turned to votes 2-10 because #1 was a certainty.

Line_HTX

Well we had some crazy people going all "space dandy will win because dubs"

Yeah, I wanted it to win as well, but it being runner up isn't bad, I suppose.

It was a very special time, those Saturday nights before the JP broadcast on Sunday was beyond amazing.

Ping Pong was 11 amazing episodes and Dandy was 26 sometimes amazing sometimes great sometimes good sometimes mediocre sometimes bad episodes. It's easy to see why one won.

Narag

Yeah, I wanted it to win as well, but it being runner up isn't bad, I suppose.

It was a very special time, those Saturday nights before the JP broadcast on Sunday was beyond amazing.

I think I had like a 3000 word post on google docs that I never posted about why the show was important and why it didn't work for me. I abandoned it toward the end when I realized the ten eps I wanted to talk most was trimmed down from the 11 eps I liked.

Space Dandy is an example of how all the good animation in the world can't carry something if the direction and writing isn't up to par.

Yeah but there are times when all 3 aligned and it made for some really good episodes

Even a lot of the weaker ones had some good animation. That undies vs whatever episode was terrible but that final stardust surfing scene is amazing

Line_HTX

I think I had like a 3000 word post on google docs that I never posted about why the show was important and why it didn't work for me. I abandoned it toward the end when I realized the ten eps I wanted to talk most was trimmed down from the 11 eps I liked.

It's on why Dandy didn't work for you or Ping Pong?

Space Dandy is an example of how all the good animation in the world can't carry something if the direction and writing isn't up to par.

Uh, I'm sorry, but no. Some episodes were weak, but for the most part, the dirction and writing went hand in hand very well with all the animation.

Cornbread78

Soma ep.3
Damn, that was good. Those bastard deserved it. He's pretty damn good... I Can't believe he pulled out the squid trick in her after just meeting Megumi, lol. Tentacles! She's going to be pretty fun to get picked on. Seriously though, this show is pretty damn good!

Jintor

i think maybe the main reason I like LL is that it has little to nothing to do with the actual business side of thing and washes it all to the side in a spray of LOL PURITY. there's an episode where they're surprised to find there's merch of them for godssakes. It's a clear sign someone, I would guess the School Idol Competition itself, snuck a clause into the contract that they probably own IP rights for every idol group entered or something but in LL I just think to myself LOL and let it pass right by

Yeah but there are times when all 3 aligned and it made for some really good episodes

Oh, of course. Episode 21 alone justified the series' existence; that is one of the best TV anime episodes of all time. I'd like the overall hit-miss ratio to be a little better, but I can't complain too much about Space Dandy being inconsistent, since that's just the nature of anthology series. Genius Party was the same way.

Obviously I love Space Dandy, so I'm baised as fuck, but all episodic shows have weaker episodes. Even Cowboy Bebop had some ehh ones. (Gateway Shuffle is pretty dull to me.)

I would also say the best Dandy episodes gave me more enjoyment on their own than most shows do in their entire run. (Lovers Are Trendy, Baby puts most romance anime to shame.)

Tuck

Haikyuu!! 1-3
I'm watching an anime about volleyball.

I don't particularly like volleyball. I mean, its okay. But nothing I'd go out and watch in normal circumstances.

Yet... I'm enjoying this? A lot? Weird.

Quasar

Well we had some crazy people going all "space dandy will win because dubs"

The thing is of course just what portion of voters are the toonami/dub people? I certainly have no idea. Not based on anything, but I'd think the majority of people voting on a neogaf poll on anime would be sub folks, folks watching simulcast/fansub stuff rather than toonami viewers.

nah thats osomatsu

Your post would make more sense if you brought up Nichijou instead, as that show is an animation showcase while Osomatsu-san, while having an excellent visual style, doesn't have much in the way of notable animation.

But the truth is that both Nichijou and Osomatsu-san are both excellent shows cruelly destined to be misunderstood and maligned by people here.

Narag

The thing is of course just what portion of voters are the toonami/dub people? I certainly have no idea. Not based on anything, but I'd think the majority of people voting on a neogaf poll on anime would be sub folks, folks watching simulcast/fansub stuff rather than toonami viewers.

I think the logic was there'd be a wave of dub only people that watched only one show and Dandy would be rolling in solitary 10 point votes.

Line_HTX

Obviously I love Space Dandy, so I'm baised as fuck, but all episodic shows have weaker episodes. Even Cowboy Bebop had some ehh ones. (Gateway Shuffle is pretty dull to me.)

I would also say the best Dandy episodes gave me more enjoyment on their own than most shows do in their entire run. (Lovers Are Trendy, Baby puts most romance anime to shame.)

I liked Gateway Shuffle... :(

Squishy3

Haikyuu!! 1-3
I'm watching an anime about volleyball.

I don't particularly like volleyball. I mean, its okay. But nothing I'd go out and watch in normal circumstances.

Yet... I'm enjoying this? A lot? Weird.
Welcome to the enigma that is sports anime

Qurupeke

Space Dandy was excellent what in the fuck
I find it overrated. It's not bad, but I'd say around half of the episodes are mediocre at best, with some of them being really awful. Season 1 left me a bitter taste. I'm not sure that everything good about this show can outweigh the trash in it.

Mature

Never connected with the uneven sentiment for Space Dandy, but the comedy really worked for me on all but a couple episodes. Not hard to see how that'd make it or break it.

Actually, it's a really similar situation with Nichijou.

Narag

Never connected with the uneven sentiment for Space Dandy, but the comedy really worked for me on all but a couple episodes. Not hard to see how that'd make it or break it.

Actually, it's a really similar situation with Nichijou.

That was basically my problem, comedic eps never really clicked. Introspective and dramatic stuff the first season solo focus eps? I'd eat that up all day.

Quasar

I find it overrated. It's not bad, but I'd say around half of the episodes are mediocre at best, with some of them being really awful. Season 1 left me a bitter taste. I'm not sure that everything good about this show can outweigh the trash in it.

I'll admit I bailed after episode one due to not connecting with it (same with ping pong but for different reasons). I recognise it was well made though.

Squishy3

Osomatsu 1

Yup. I can see why this first episode is basically not going to exist anymore. Not surprising considering they had even more balls than Gintama. :lol

PK Gaming

i think maybe the main reason I like LL is that it has little to nothing to do with the actual business side of thing and washes it all to the side in a spray of LOL PURITY. there's an episode where they're surprised to find there's merch of them for godssakes. It's a clear sign someone, I would guess the School Idol Competition itself, snuck a clause into the contract that they probably own IP rights for every idol group entered or something but in LL I just think to myself LOL and let it pass right by

Don't forget the fact that most of their fans in-universe are girls...haha, okay.

Dishonesty aside, Love Live is a fun show. It's cute, charming and surprisingly well directed. Comedy's pretty good, and it's always fun to see the 9 characters play off each other. It doesn't have the most depth, and the drama portions are hit and miss but it's a great watch overall.

Line_HTX

Allow me.

Dandy was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

The elephants will DESTROY you!

One Punch Man 06

Gotta actively look for small fry incidents, that's pretty harsh just to keep being active for at least one week. I'm thinking him chopping Sonic down should do the trick.

The Ghost Town Monster had the freakist face I have ever seen. That zoom in made me jump a little, lol. This episode was almost nightmare fuel enough to make me think this was a horror show and be unable to sleep.

Tornado is already annoying me, UGH....

Oooh, I see an awesome lady with a rich fur coat and fancy black dress with a nice PLOT. She looks like she's the BOSS. Hope to see more of her.

Jaxec

Magical Somera-chan 1-5

What even is this!? What did I get myself into? What did I just witness!?

hdlS7.gif

...Anime is once again saved! 10/10

pbayne

I only remember 3-5 Dandy episode now.

To be fair that happens a lot with episodic shows. I think everyone usually has their own favorite pile of episodes. Like I'm nearly finished Mushishi and I can only really recall 5 or 6 of my favorite episodes.

Droplet

Everything feels meticulous and yet free flowing all at the same time, like a Ping Pong match, the back and forth becomes hypnotic. Characters speaks different languages, from an audio standpoint, Ping Pong is both diverse and interesting.

This little bit reminds me (of course the whole review was good, glad you gave Yuasa another chance!), I think Ping Pong might be the only show I've seen where a bilingual character was played by an actually bilingual actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom