• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxec

Owarimonogatari

Is

So

Good

stanley2.gif

Szadek

Clannad After Story Ep 9-12
Took AS a while to get to the really interesting relationship stuff.
Not that first few episode were bad ,but it wasn't quite what I wanted from this anime.

Phatmac

!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH THAT TRAILER AT THE END OF THE EPISODE GOT ME HYPED THE FUCK UP! From what I've heard it's supposed to be the best Gintama arc period and if it reveals what it's about to then I'd expect it to be one of the greatest arcs in anime history. Besides that amazing trailer this episode didn't go as far with the fake funeral stuff as I was hoping it would. It was great seeing Okita being an asshole to Kagura as usual but the rest of the cast wasn't used as well besides Hime-sama. The boulder rolling but was still great though. Hoping they manage to animate smaller arcs from the manga but I'm about ready for a big Gintama arc that'll change everything seemingly.

Haikyuu!! 1-3
I'm watching an anime about volleyball.

I don't particularly like volleyball. I mean, its okay. But nothing I'd go out and watch in normal circumstances.

Yet... I'm enjoying this? A lot? Weird.

Yup. It's pretty simple though, you are enjoying it just like I did because it is legitimately good. I too kept wondering why, maybe I like volleyball and don't know it. Nope. It's just that the show is good. Even more surprising specially with season 1, is that I didn't even need that many female characters and relationships with the main characters in order to be engaged. There is 0 bullshit drama, it's all about the passion for something and trying to overcome the obstacles in front of you despite the situations. Idk I find the show pretty inspirational. When there is a wall in front of you, you gotta dodge it and jump high
with your eyes closed lmfao
!

Euphonium 02- 03

This is not okay.

Also, the teacher is a dick.

Also, those two girls who hang around Kumiko need to die in the fiery pits of hell.

Oh you watching Euphonium? Let's see what your inner Yuri-detector will say down the line. High time we all have this discussion anyways!

That aside, the show's pretty good overall but it's really apparent when the better episode directors are at work. For instance, episode 9 was a pretty meh 5/10 experience when it could've been tense as fuck, whereas episode 10 had 9-10/10 direction and made for a much more exciting episode, despite taking place after that smaller climax.

Hibike! has plenty great characters, nice attention to detail concerning all things music and quite beautiful visuals (fuck the overly blurry backgrounds though). If you've got the slightest interest in music or music instruments and aren't bothered too much with the few rather annoying (albeit not necessarily badly written) characters, you should enjoy it to some degree.

Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie

This is an object lesson in how to direct action. The clarity and logic in the storyboarding is admirable, and something I haven't seen in a while. The writing is complex, approaching convolution, and the staging of the action sequences involves a lot of players working over a large area, and yet it's always clear what is going on, what the geography is, how the pieces are interacting off of each other. Many action scenes involve a much narrower scope and yet are more confusing to follow, so Kazuya Nomura is to be commended for his efforts.

I am more interested in Joker Game now.

fertygo

This is an object lesson in how to direct action. The clarity and logic in the storyboarding is admirable, and something I haven't seen in a while. The writing is complex, approaching convolution, and the staging of the action sequences involves a lot of players working over a large area, and yet it's always clear what is going on, what the geography is, how the pieces are interacting off of each other. Many action scenes involve a much narrower scope and yet are more confusing to follow, so Kazuya Nomura is to be commended for his efforts.

This is ARISE new movie right? its good?

pbayne

So franchise redeemed?

I mean Arise is okay. But for GiTs I want more than okay so I really want this movie to be great.

Qurupeke

Ninja Slayer From Animation 19

LMKYr3y.png

You know the episode will be good when it starts like that.

I'm pretty sure Nancy is moaning more than she's talking. lol And she's captured again, for the 3rd time I think. I loved it when someone finally started fighting before the end of the whole Domo act. Actually, at the 12~ mins of an episode, there are at quite a few scenes that take up so much time. Scenes that repeat themselves, with little to no progress or a scene taking too long to finish. lol

Ninja Slayer From Animation 20

It seems to near its finale, even though 6 episodes remain. Laomoto attacking with a business card and entering a helicopter that was smaller than him were hilarious. Also, the potential love interest saves Ninja Slayer.

Ninja Slayer From Animation 21

Save Nancy quickly please, we need more of her now.

The episode was mostly screaming clone Yakuzas. Anyway, I really hope the Darkninja battle will be nicely animated. But it won't be. lol

Ninja Slayer From Animation 22

Another defeat. I wonder how they'll manage to end all the storylines with 4 episodes remaining. And Nancy's back, yay.Oh, and the episodes seem to get smaller and smaller...

Ninja Slayer From Animation 23

yZP8Tlh.png

5 times this. I can't complain...
Basically, all the fodder battles are over. I can't believe they added guilt hallucinations in a character that only killed monster looking ninjas. So random.

Ninja Slayer From Animation 24

Trigger must really love putting a berserk monster form on their main characters right? Laomoto is surely strong. Let's see how this battle will end.

Ninja Slayer From Animation 25

What the fuck I'm watching? I guess it's material that won't be adapted...?

Ninja Slayer From Animation END

OH MY GOD. LOL

So, all in all, this was particularly enjoyable. I expected it to be far worse, but it was way over the top, it had funny moments, so much randomness, Nancy fanservice, MS Paint... I liked it a lot, it was the definition of a so-bad-it's-good show.

So, plot wise, almost nothing has been resolved. lol Darkninja, Yukano, Yamoto... all of them appeared but they had unfinished character arcs. A second season seems just impossible, so I guess that's that. lol

Based Trigger delivered.

Cornbread78

Clannad After Story Ep 9-12
Took AS a while to get to the really interesting relationship stuff.
Not that first few episode were bad ,but it wasn't quite what I wanted from this anime.

You are just about there man, just about there. You already know way more about the characters involved.

phaze

Oh you watching Euphonium? Let's see what your inner Yuri-detector will say down the line. High time we all have this discussion anyways!

Oh God, I'd prefer to spare this thread from another dose of those discussions. Though I'm kinda curious whether the impression I got from various gifs and posts will hold up.

That aside, the show's pretty good overall but it's really apparent when the better episode directors are at work. For instance, episode 9 was a pretty meh 5/10 experience when it could've been tense as fuck, whereas episode 10 had 9-10/10 direction and made for a much more exciting episode, despite taking place after that smaller climax.

Hibike! has plenty great characters, nice attention to detail concerning all things music and quite beautiful visuals (fuck the overly blurry backgrounds though). If you've got the slightest interest in music or music instruments and aren't bothered too much with the few rather annoying (albeit not necessarily badly written) characters, you should enjoy it to some degree

Haruhi and Hyouka, yes Hyouka have taught me that I have shit taste don't deal well with KyoAni's output so I'm not expecting a whole lot. Will be happy to proved wrong though !

Russ T

Banned
Nichijou, Space Dandy, and Osomatsu-san (so far) are all fucking incredible.

Page late but reading that conversation had me absolutely LIVID! So I had to respond.

---

I've been so busy editing my podcast about anime that I haven't actually watched much anime in the past few days. Editing audio is hard guys. ): Well, tedious, anyway.

---

Shirobako is great and makes me wonder if I might like being a producer more than a programmer. (I'm a game dev.)

I hope the second half of Shirobako is as strong as the first half. I worry it might fall apart? (I've watch 13 episodes so far.)

I've been so busy editing my podcast about anime that I haven't actually watched much anime in the past few days. Editing audio is hard guys. ): Well, tedious, anyway.

Cool, when are you going to post the first episode?

I personally didn't notice a dropoff in the second half of Shirobako by the way, it kinda stayed the same for me all the way through.

This is ARISE new movie right? its good?

Yes, it's good. A solid, engaging cyber thriller. The direction/storyboarding is definitely the strongest part of the film and speaks well of Nomura's talent. The art design/direction is the weak link, and could have used some stronger artists to shape a more visually striking urban landscape, but it's not like that comes as a surprise at this point. It's inevitable that it'll be compared to past franchise entries, but if you take it as its own thing I think it succeeds at what it sets out to do. It's no Oshii, but I enjoyed it more than Innocence and it's certainly better than Solid State Society (and whatever 009 Re:Cyborg was).

I hope the second half of Shirobako is as strong as the first half. I worry it might fall apart? (I've watch 13 episodes so far.)

I don't think you have to worry about that. The general reception of Shirobako's second half stayed quite strong; it didn't sour people the way, say, the second half of Penguindrum did.

Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note Episode 6 – The Egg Hamburg Steak Knows Part 2

Short anime have been so good this year, Oreca Battle, Dragon Collection, and then we get this masterpiece in the same season as Monster Strike. This anime needs to last so much longer as each episode feels perfect.

KZ Team is good and they even cover rare allergies like mushrooms and now pork (first time encountering both but I usually just stay with airway and skin allergy) to incorporating delinquent in their story who is clearly not like they describe.

Cant wait for Part 3.
CTioaCKWsAE7TM5.png
CTioFSlW4AYnZBR.png

Russ T

Banned
Cool, when are you going to post the first episode?

I personally didn't notice a dropoff in the second half of Shirobako by the way, it kinda stayed the same for me all the way through.

I could post the first (five) episode(s) right now... (here). It's me and some other people from another forum I frequent. I've been hesitant to share it so far because 1) we're really really bad at regularly releasing episodes, 2) when we do release them, they're old because our editor is always super busy (but I hope it'll be better now that I've taught myself to edit), and 3) my natural fear that everyone hates anything I do. We spotlight one anime each episode, usually something short. First half is a typical "whatcha watchin'" segment, followed by said spotlight.

As for Shirobako...

I don't think you have to worry about that. The general reception of Shirobako's second half stayed quite strong; it didn't sour people the way, say, the second half of Penguindrum did.

...that's good to hear! I'd been putting off watching it for so long, for no good reason, really. Now that I've started, though, it's one of my favorite things!

Yes, it's good. A solid, engaging cyber thriller. The direction/storyboarding is definitely the strongest part of the film and speaks well of Nomura's talent. The art design/direction is the weak link, and could have used some stronger artists to shape a more visually striking urban landscape, but it's not like that comes as a surprise at this point. It's inevitable that it'll be compared to past franchise entries, but if you take it as its own thing I think it succeeds at what it sets out to do. It's no Oshii, but I enjoyed it more than Innocence and it's certainly better than Solid State Society (and whatever 009 Re:Cyborg was).

This is also good to hear. I enjoyed the Arise OVAs on their own. I've got some friends who heavily dislike it for not being up to snuff compared to SAC. I looove me some SAC, but I try to judge things on their own merit, and I for sure enjoy Arise. Guess I'll have to get around to the movie sometime soon.

Line_HTX

LET'S FEEL HOT!

Euphonium 02- 03

This is not okay.

Also, the teacher is a dick.

Also, those two girls who hang around Kumiko need to die in the fiery pits of hell.

The teacher is great. He is how you win fighting game tournaments. Are you gonna win EVO, or are you gonna stay at casual level? Y'all voted to compete at EVO, so what the fuck is this? Gotta do your fundamentals right before doing anything else.

It was refreshing to see someone tell them to put the time into training mode.

pbayne

Eden of the East Movie 1 & 2

Probably rivals Future diary in terms of just make shit up on the fly style writing. But the ending of the series was kinda cool so I wanted to see where it went.

The first movie is a bit of a snore-fest, way too much time devoted to non-Taikawza characters. Towards the end you get the feeling they had originally planned another movie or series because the game ends so abruptly there absolutely no tension or suspense when its finally concluded. Its weird that the first 40 minutes are so nothing and then the film tries to jam as much shit into the last 40 minutes to make up.

Second movie yeah very unfufiling, rushed conclusion. The theme of hey young people are awesome, fuck old people, NEET power trip gets old really quickly. Maybe if I lived in Japan it would resonate a bit more but it comes across as entitled bullshit.

I can't help but compare it to future diary; Two shows that have a great premise that are let down by poor execution. But whereas future diary was still entertaining this just felt like a void at times.

Russ T

Banned
The teacher is great. He is how you win fighting game tournaments. Are you gonna win EVO, or are you gonna stay at casual level? Y'all voted to compete at EVO, so what the fuck is this? Gotta do your fundamentals right before doing anything else.

Yeah as someone who was in band in high school...

Euphonium really hit all the right notes, as far as high school band goes. It's super impressive. Obviously there are some distinct differences between American and Japanese high school bands, but damn it's just good.

phaze

The thing that bothered me was the fact that he left the group a goal and then left them completely to their own devices, only to criticise them at the end. Admittedly, I don't have a clue about how such brass bands work but expecting them to train properly both in terms of putting in a real effort, as well as doing it properly on a technical level seems exceedingly naive, especially that as ep 4 showed, he's aware that this band has issues.
In said ep 4, he has taken a much more hands on approach that fixed pretty much everythng that bothered me so I guess I can't complain about him anymore.

Eden of the East Movie 1 & 2
I can't help but compare it to future diary; Two shows that have a great premise that are let down by poor execution. But whereas future diary was still entertaining this just felt like a void at times.

This is actually a pretty solid comparison. Eden of the East often gets a pass for its really poor writing, but it does have a lot in common with Future Diary.

The thing that bothered me was the fact that he left the group a goal and then left them completely to their own devices, only to criticise them at the end. Admittedly, I don't have a clue about how such brass bands work but expecting them to train properly both in terms of putting in a real effort, as well as doing it properly on a technical level seems exceedingly naive, especially that as ep 4 showed, he's aware that this band has issues.
In said ep 4, he has taken a much more hands on approach that fixed pretty much everythng that bothered me so I guess I can't complain about him anymore.

I think I wasn't quite happy with his teaching methodology even further in but yeh, I was shaking my head when a bunch of folks were immediately in love with him, arguing that he's doing a great job. When really, at the beginning he was harsh and...well that's it. I think he's an interesting character though and the show itself doesn't put his actions in a positive light, at least not directly. It's just that those "Oh gosh! He's telling them the harsh truth, what an amazing teacher!" reactions were dumb.

If you didn't even like Hyouka I don't think this one you'll grow to like Euphonium much either to be honest. Not like they're that similar but still. There's also melodrama ahead so yeh...

Gintama 297

Wow her brother and father didn't even show up. I mean we know the brother is an asshole but still. Anyway that was a good ass Gintama episode, this season can still throw down some classics.

Next arc looks fucking hype. Finally all the players coalesce into one arc, I just can't imagine something that shifts the status quo happening in this series.

Fafner Exodus episode break the record of niconico single episode review.
98.9% give it 1=5 out of 5.

Edit: Oh wait, a 1 is good on NicoNico nvm

javac

I've been thinking about Ping Pong all day. Man, what an absolute beast of a show, fuck me I'm going to have fun reviewing this one once I finish it. The pinnacle of anime? I think so.

How much knowledge of the earlier Arise films does this require? I've pretty much forgotten everything about what I've watched of Arise.

Shomin Sample - 06

I never knew I could get so much enjoyment out of watching a bunch of clueless ladies reacting at things. From the procedure of ordering at a burger joint, to the erotic innuendo of pushing an arcade machine button.
I require more nourishment of this caliber. My main complaint is that there is not enough of wacky Karen.

I am still upset that Shomin Sample is actually about a school of naive and clueless Ojou-samas. Those aren't real Ojou-samas, it should be a school full of haughty girls with drill hair.

So much potential (and so many ohohohos) gone down the drain. smh

I am still upset that Shomin Sample is actually about a school of naive and clueless Ojou-samas. Those aren't real Ojou-samas, it should be a school full of haughty girls with drill hair.

So much potential (and so many ohohohos) gone down the drain. smh
All valid points my friend. Have faith and we shall receive.

Gintama 297

Wow her brother and father didn't even show up. I mean we know the brother is an asshole but still. Anyway that was a good ass Gintama episode, this season can still throw down some classics.

Next arc looks fucking hype. Finally all the players coalesce into one arc, I just can't imagine something that shifts the status quo happening in this series.

Edit: Oh wait, a 1 is good on NicoNico nvm
tbf umibozu was probably on some remote planet fighting super powerful monsters, and there is a good chance he never even heard since I doubt any of the main characters know how to contact him. Kamui likely could have made it (though again, I doubt they knew how to contact him) but he's also a dick

Not yet! I don't know it it'll be able to top Ping Pong but Yuasa has carte blanche at this point, I'm all ears.

It gives Ping Pong a really good run for it's money in my opinion, I personally prefer it over Ping Pong.

I'd fully recommend it. Both shows are just so good.

javac

It gives Ping Pong a really good run for it's money in my opinion, I personally prefer it over Ping Pong.

I'd fully recommend it. Both shows are just so good.

I have Tatami on DVD, I very much look forward to watching it! Man, the OP for Ping Pong is infuckingcredible, man oh man I feel reinvigorated all of a sudden. The OP puts a huge ass grin on my face and has me tearing up simultaneously. So fucking good, I'm actually upset that words alone can't do justice in articulating just how enamored I am.

I have Tatami on DVD, I very much look forward to watching it! Man, the OP for Ping Pong is infuckingcredible, man oh man I feel reinvigorated all of a sudden. The OP puts a huge ass grin on my face and has me tearing up simultaneously. So fucking good, I'm actually upset that words alone can't do justice in articulating just how enamored I am.

Man, your enthusiasm just flies off the screen :)

Enjoy the rest of the show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom