• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I'm not a huge anime watcher, but I've been watching Madhouse's Hunter x Hunter on Netflix cuz I had heard good things about it. My question is...when does this git gud? I'm six episodes in and seems like run of the mill shonen. It doesn't even have good animation. It's okay so far I guess. Should I continue to bother with this?

phaze

I'm not a huge anime watcher, but I've been watching Hunter x Hunter on Netflix cuz I had heard good things about it. My question is...when does this git gud? I'm six episodes in and seems like run of the mill shonen. It doesn't even have good animation. It's okay so far I guess. Should I continue to bother with this?

Quite a few people will tell you it's good from the beginning. I felt like you until episode 35-36 and the arc (~40-60) that starts up shortly after that. (Which is the best this show gets)

I'm not a huge anime watcher, but I've been watching Madhouse's Hunter x Hunter on Netflix cuz I had heard good things about it. My question is...when does this git gud? I'm six episodes in and seems like run of the mill shonen. It doesn't even have good animation. It's okay so far I guess. Should I continue to bother with this?

HxH starts rather weak. You can give it however many episodes you want but try to shoot until the end of the Hunter Exams which is 21, I think

Animation/production values wise though it's an extremely consistent show, its one of the strong points.

I'm not a huge anime watcher, but I've been watching Hunter x Hunter on Netflix cuz I had heard good things about it. My question is...when does this git gud? I'm six episodes in and seems like run of the mill shonen. It doesn't even have good animation. It's okay so far I guess. Should I continue to bother with this?

I really enjoyed the Yorknew City arc, which goes from episodes 37 to 58 in the 2011 anime.

Other than that, I didn't like HxH much. There's a few more strong single episodes here and there, especially towards the end but they're so far outnumbered and the pacing becomes just as bad as usual battle shonen, that it wasn't worth it for me.

So if anything, I'd watch up to that Yorknew arc end.

Grzi

It starts slow but it get much better around episode 20 IIRC

Also, there's not much to showcase the talent of the animators involved in the early episodes but soon there are quite a few episodes with amazingly animated action scenes. I'd say it's the most consistently great looking show that's longer than 64 episodes.

phaze

Is the animation going to improve at all?

I don't really remember that much from the beginning ... I think it mostly stays that way till the end, competent, especially for a long running shounen with some highlights here and there. 35-36 have the best animated fight in it.

Haikyu 24

Everything about how the ending of the match was executed was perfect. This show is really good on every front possible.

It starts slow but it get much better around episode 20 IIRC

Also, there's not much to showcase the talent of the animators involved in the early episodes but soon there are quite a few episodes with amazingly animated action scenes. I'd say it's the most consistently great looking show that's longer than 64 episodes.

YYH trumps it but HxH is still an impressive effort.

wonzo

Banned

just watch the '99 version instead

Line_HTX

I am still upset that Shomin Sample is actually about a school of naive and clueless Ojou-samas. Those aren't real Ojou-samas, it should be a school full of haughty girls with drill hair.

So much potential (and so many ohohohos) gone down the drain. smh

Damn, what a bummer. Hope they bring out the super haughtiness and ohoho's.

If you find it fun now then you might as well. The show gets a lot better, and it's very much not the typical shonen.

But it is? To me it's a typical battle shonen, just one that, at times, is doing everything well.

I started watching this show because I was reading s.th. along the lines of "battle shonen done right!" and for the Yorknew City arc I was very much in agreement with that. Before and afterwards though, it doesn't stand out imo.

Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai - 06

I don't know who this possessing Mephisto person is, but judging by her facial expressions, it is clear she obviously needs more presence. So does Vlad accompanied by Nakata's godly voice.

rlTD11L.jpg

But it is? To me it's a typical battle shonen, just one that, at times, is doing everything well.

I started watching this show because I was reading s.th. along the lines of "battle shonen done right!" and for the Yorknew City arc I was very much in agreement with that. Before and afterwards though, it doesn't stand out imo.

Hunter x Hunter is different in a lot of ways that only really become apparent if you know the standard tropes or have read/watched a lot of Shonen. I think these are the main two, in my opinion -

Gon is never really forced into being the crux of every story. In something like One Piece or Dragon Ball, Goku and Luffy will assuredly be the ones to defeat the bad guy. Yes I know Gohan beat Cell but who's help did he need? Luffy so far has defeated every single arc villain in a solo bout. Who did Gon beat that was the big bad? Just Genthru. Gon and Killua are more often then not on the sideline and never the biggest player at work in the arc.

Playing off that, the series typically avoids wrapping everything up in a satisfying manner. Chrollo Lucifer gets away, dooming Kurapika to forever be obsessed with his vengeance. Months of buildup for the confrontation between Gon and Neferpitou, coalescing with Gon waiting with the most sinister look in his eyes and threatening to kill a small innocent child all for revenge. The ultimate beatdown when Gon finally loses it and annihilates Pitou completely is both filled with catharsis the hint of disappointment - in most Shonen you would get a balls out epic fight where Gon wins just by a hair (lol). That was never an option for Gon, Pitou was above him, far above him. But his near psychotic personality allowed him to do the ultimate sacrifice, which may have lost him his ability to use Nen altogether (not confirmed merely implied.) This may seem like bullshit upon first glance but it abides by the rules of Nen and is not contradictory to Gon's character. Mereum dies from poisoning, not from his epic fight with Netero and his character arc is one of the best in the entire series, and he dies a rather tragic end. Gon finally meats up with Ging and what is he? A total asshole. While the missing father is extremely common in shonen they are still held up as leaving home for an honorable goal. Goku has to protect the Earth. Dragon leads the Revolutionary Army. The Fourth Hokage had to sacrifice himself to seal the Nine Tails. Ging is just an asshole, through and through. He may be doing good things as a Hunter but that hardly excuses him abandoning his Son and actively avoiding him. In fact, the entire series in a meta sense is unsatisfying due to the constant hiatus.

There's more but i want to play fallout more

One more thing - HxH has a far heavier focus on character development then almost every other Shonen I can think of. Most shonen ride it out by simply having likable characters, One Piece is the easiest example. Gon's character arc is rather unique.

Sakurako-san 6
Well that was a really silly "mystery." I'm not sure how anyone could read that letter and think it was actually a
suicide note.

See to me, Hunter X Hunter really stands out from most Shounen shows.

In typical battle-shounens, the powers are usually kind of simple, and the explanations for how they work are pretty bare-bones.

In Hunter X Hunter, there's a lot of detail put into how Nen works and just how hard it is to fully master it. Everything follows a system, where every cause has an effect.

Unlike in typical battle-shounen shows where the hero can just outright break the rules because he has the most shounen hearto out of everybody else.

And partially, what makes me really enjoy Gon in Hunter X Hunter is how much he has to work for his powers. Most typical shounen shows have a comedic training montage before a narration cuts to after the hero's training is done. But Hunter X Hunter really stresses how hard it is for him to git gud.

As strong as he was in the Greed Island arc, he was still nowhere near as strong as its main villain, and
had to resort to a well-crafted scheme by Bisky and Killua in order to have the slightest hope of beating him.

In fact, Gon V.S. Genthru is one of my favourite fights in the whole show due to how intense and suspenseful the whole thing is. With Genthru's sadism and strength against Gon's insanity and inexperience, the entire match is just a nerve-wracking affair of who is going to do what and how Gon's going to get out of the situation on top.

I'm not going to say Hunter X Hunter outright deconstructs the shounen genre, but it definitely does things that are above the par for the course for many shounen shows out there.

EDIT: And everything MetroidPrimeRib says.

FUCK

I miss Hunter x Hunter

I'm probably just going to cave and watch/reread YYH and watch HxH '99 and watch Level E. Togashi you're so good why

Reminder that Naruto never defeated Zabuza/Orochimaru in the first two arcs or did nothing through the first half of Shippuden.

Reminder that Gon vs Pitou is a rip off from Naruto vs Haku.

Reminder that Naruto is best shounen.

That's another thing, Naruto was born with his godlike power and is also the son of the Hokage. Superior genes isn't a thing in HxH. The closest would be Kurapika but his special genes got his entire clan slaughtered. Woah sounds familiar

phaze

Reminder that Naruto never defeated Zabuza/Orochimaru in the first two arcs or did nothing through the first half of Shippuden.

Reminder that Naruto has more training arcs than Gon and is an underdog for longer then he and Killua.

Kyousougiga 08

One of the weaker eps ude to large amount of uninspired though necessary infodumping.

Phatmac

Reminder that Naruto has more training arcs than Gon and is an underdog for longer then he and Killua.

Kyousougiga 08

One of the weaker eps ude to large amount of uninspired though necessary infodumping.
Naruto saved the day vs Gaara which is more than Gon has done so far.

Sakurako-san 6
Well that was a really silly "mystery." I'm not sure how anyone could read that letter and think it was actually a
suicide note.

I am so close to dropping this one. I was kinda hoping somehow this week made the show better. Looks like it didnt ugh. I already don't feel like watching.

phaze

FUCK

That's another thing, Naruto was born with his godlike power and is also the son of the Hokage. Superior genes isn't a thing in HxH. The closest would be Kurapika but his special genes got his entire clan slaughtered. Woah sounds familiar

Wait till 2075 when chapter 700 of HxH comes out till you say that.

Besides, Gon is the son of one of the most powerful Hunters and is constantly acknowledged to be super talented, bah that potential is in part what allows the bullshit of 131 to happen. It's not as bad as Naruto but it's still there.

Naruto saved the day vs Gaara which is more than Gon has done so far.

Gon took out Pitou who plays similar role to Gaara's.

Wait till 2075 when chapter 700 of HxH comes out till you say that.

Besides, Gon is the son of one of the most powerful Hunters and is constantly acknowledged to be super talented, bah that potential is in part what allows the bullshit of 131 to happen. It's not as bad as Naruto but it's still there.

131 isn't bullshit though (massive spoilers obviously) It was clearly established that it was possible via Nen and Gon's psyche. He sacrificed all that potential. It's all gone. He used it ALL in that one moment. Here's where it gets hard - It's implied he lost all his Nen. Forever. But I don't actually know that for sure because of the hiatus.

And I know you are joking about Naruto but HxH started two years before that and it's rather easy to see the similarities between the two - Sasuke is practically Killua and Kurapika combined but with none of the nuance of either.

Russ T

Banned
And I used to think Muira was bad for delays...

Also his only illness is Dragon Quest

Oh, so he's not actually sick, he's just LAZY? Pffffff. PFFFFFFFF.

Half-joking.

I had heard before that he hurt his wrist at one point and had to stop drawing entirely, but persevered anyway and that's why it looked bad for a while?!

I hear a lot of things, though.

phaze

131 isn't bullshit though (massive spoilers obviously) It was clearly established that it was possible via Nen and Gon's psyche. He sacrificed all that potential. It's all gone. He used it ALL in that one moment. Here's where it gets hard - It's implied he lost all his Nen. Forever. But I don't actually know that for sure because of the hiatus.

And I know you are joking about Naruto but HxH started two years before that and it's rather easy to see the similarities between the two - Sasuke is practically Killua and Kurapika combined but with none of the nuance of either.

[HxH spoilers]

I knew that pic was gonna get posted. ;p 'd have to go over it again to make a more detailed argument but my problem is the instantaneous establishment of the restriction and the resulting power up, which I think opens up the question, why doesn't one else do that when facing defeat ? Not the Gon's suicidal version, just a bigger or smaller restriction when in bad situation to gain additional power. And no you don't need enormous potential to set up a pledge.

Quasar

Sakurako-san 6
suicide note.

Made me think of Hyouka in a way this episode did. Not in terms of quality, just in terms on a slight mystery driven by a character who must solve it.

Eh you two are just telling me that you think HxH is different because it's better. Of course if I were to assign 'being terrible' as an attribute to every battle shonen that would be correct, but I don't wanna condemn that entire 'genre' when there may be solid stuff (I mean HxH overall is certainly enjoyable enough).

But the basics of a battle shonen are totally there:

• protagonists and many other characters are mostly traveling around to get stronger
  • there are battles all the time
  • MC is your typical overly talented, goodhearted fellow (no, him changing that up once fora couple episodes before returning to his usual self doesn't turn around 140+ episodes where he's normal)
  • there's some special powers in the world (Nen)
  • lots of weirdly specialized fighters
  • power levels

All that, to me, would be pretty defining of a battle shonen.

That this one has better characterization or is just generally a bit better written doesn't make it atypical of the genre to me. And boy would I never recommend someone HxH who dislikes the concept of battle shonen, because that person wouldn't get happy here. Besides, the Chimera Arc features the godawful pacing problems that battle shonen are well known for. Shit drags on forever and so do a bunch of the battles.

Also HxH's character design is worse than Hitler. The art direction for 2011 is responsible for that though it appears, as the 1999 version looks vastly less stupid.

[HxH spoilers]

I knew that pic was gonna get posted. ;p 'd have to go over it again to make a more detailed argument but my problem is the instantaneous establishment of the restriction and the resulting power up, which I think opens up the question, why doesn't one else do that when facing defeat ? Not the Gon's suicidal version, just a bigger or smaller restriction when in bad situation to gain additional power. And no you don't need enormous potential to set up a pledge.

Yeh, I was wondering that myself. And the way Gon gets saved from his state is equally questionable, if not more so.

Some of the world building in HxH is quite solid, as I enjoyed the Nen capabilities quite a lot during the Yorknew Arc. However, by the end the author had already introduced so many bullshit abilities, weird phenomena and overall powercreep that I started to lose interest. The hiatus doesn't surprise me at all. Even if health and everything wouldn't be an issue for the author, it gets harder and harder to write something in tune with the world you built up when that has become so very bloated.

Ascheroth

Eh you two are just telling me that you think HxH is different because it's better. Of course if I were to assign 'being terrible' as an attribute to every battle shonen that would be correct, but I don't wanna condemn that entire 'genre' when there may be solid stuff (I mean HxH overall is certainly enjoyable enough).

But the basics of a battle shonen are totally there:

• protagonists and many other characters are mostly traveling around to get stronger
  • there are battles all the time
  • MC is your typical overly talented, goodhearted fellow (no, him changing that up once fora couple episodes before returning to his usual self doesn't turn around 140+ episodes where he's normal)
  • there's some special powers in the world (Nen)
  • lots of weirdly specialized fighters
  • power levels

All that, to me, would be pretty defining of a battle shonen.

That this one has better characterization or is just generally a bit better written doesn't make it atypical of the genre to me. And boy would I never recommend someone HxH who dislikes the concept of battle shonen, because that person wouldn't get happy here. Besides, the Chimera Arc features the godawful pacing problems that battle shonen are well known for. Shit drags on forever and so do a bunch of the battles.

Also HxH's character design is worse than Hitler. The art direction for 2011 is responsible for that though it appears, as the 1999 version looks vastly less stupid.

The pacing in the Chimera Ant arc was absolutely perfect though and I'm saying that as someone who watched it weekly!

pbayne

Oh, so he's not actually sick, he's just LAZY? Pffffff. PFFFFFFFF.

Half-joking.

I had heard before that he hurt his wrist at one point and had to stop drawing entirely, but persevered anyway and that's why it looked bad for a while?!

I hear a lot of things, though.

Its all hearsay but apparently he doesn't use assistants which may explain why he gets overworked.

I mean even a casual glance at HxH manga would tell you Togashi is not a great artist. A great storyteller sure. Some chapters of HxH are basically scribbles. So get people to help you know.

I dunno. Maybe he has as much money as he wants and just said fuck it, too much work for not enough reward.

Russ T

Banned
The pacing in the Chimera Ant arc was absolutely perfect though and I'm saying that as someone who watched it weekly!

Agreed, easily some of the best pacing in a shounen I've ever encountered.

It was good precisely because it wasn't about the battles. It was about the characters and the ever-increasing tension.

Its all hearsay but apparently he doesn't use assistants which may explain why he gets overworked.

I mean even a casual glance at HxH manga would tell you Togashi is not a great artist. A great storyteller sure. Some chapters of HxH are basically scribbles. So get people to help you know.

I dunno. Maybe he has as much money as he wants and just said fuck it, too much work for not enough reward.

Haha, yeah. It's a strange case, as far as manga goes. Also, a real shame. ):

Next you'll tell me you actually cared for the dozens of chimera ants Togashi (or the anime's director I guess) tried so very hard to get you to empathize with. I mean, I liked the "becoming gradually more human" theme, too! It actually worked really well with Meruem. But why would you attempt to do the same thing, less well with a ton of stupid looking other chimera ants who I have no reason to care for. Not when I want to get to the real meat of the plot, sigh >.<

Ascheroth

Next you'll tell me you actually cared for the dozens of chimera ants Togashi (or the anime's director I guess) tried so very hard to get you to empathize with. I mean, I liked the "becoming gradually more human" theme, too! It actually worked really well with Meruem. But why would you attempt to do the same thing, less well with a ton of stupid looking other chimera ants who I have no reason to care for. Not when I want to get to the real meat of the plot, sigh >.<

To elaborate on that:
I've actually thought quite a fair bit about why I think the opinion on the pacing can be so different.

I've come to the conclusion that it may come down to investment and caring, basically.
If you are invested into the characters and the events, the pacing does a down-right incredible job at keeping the tension constantly extremely high.
However, on the contrary if you aren't invested into the show, if you aren't captivated by it at this point, if you don't feel anything special about the characters, the world, it will undoubtely come off as a drag.

Agreed, easily some of the best pacing in a shounen I've ever encountered.

It was good precisely because it wasn't about the battles. It was about the characters and the ever-increasing tension.

I think you two are the perfect examples to prove my point xD

Cornbread78

Soma ep 3-7
Well damn, this show is a ton of fun to watch. Erina is a douche, I see what you guys mean now. Megumi is awesome, definately the waifu material as you all said. The other characters in the dorm are all interesting, but haven't fully been introduced yet. Hopefully more on miss twin tails comes up, she seams interesting. As an MC Soma is pretty damn good with just the right kinda swag without bieng a pompous a$$. The "foodgasm" phrase os sooo fitting for this show, lol.

Quasar

Soma ep 3-7

Well damn, this show is a ton of fun to watch. Erina is a douche, I see what you guys mean now. Megumi is awesome, definately the waifu material as you all said. The other characters in the dorm are all interesting, but haven't fully been introduced yet. Hopefully more on miss twin tails comes up, she seams interesting. As an MC Soma is pretty damn good with just the right kinda swag without bieng a pompous a$$. The "foodgasm" phrase os sooo fitting for this show, lol.

Heh. Erina is my favourite amongst the students.

Yeah the various ants getting so much screentime in HxH was the weakest part of the arc

The pacing becomes ruined the moment the narrator says "3 minutes have passed since the invasion on the palace has began" in episode 117.

I love Fukumoto's works so that shit is laughable when it comes to time passing

Russ T

Banned
To elaborate on that:
I've actually thought quite a fair bit about why I think the opinion on the pacing can be so different.

I've come to the conclusion that it may come down to investment and caring, basically.
If you are invested into the characters and the events, the pacing does a down-right incredible job at keeping the tension constantly extremely high.
However, on the contrary if you aren't invested into the show, if you aren't captivated by it at this point, if you don't feel anything special about the characters, the world, it will undoubtely come off as a drag.

I think you two are the perfect examples to prove my point xD

Hahaha, yeah, I think you are absolutely right. If you're not invested, the pacing is going to be godawful and there's no convincing you otherwise.

Line_HTX

Soma ep 3-7

Erina is my favorite as well, and Soma is Kirito the chef with the right amount of pompous ass.

Cornbread78

Soma doesn't show nearly enough ass, if you ask me.

Lol, are you sure about that? Those charubs in the ED and ant he male roomie with the honeymoon apron... Well and the ton of foodgasm scenes from Soma's food, lol.

Erina is my favorite as well, and Soma is Kirito the chef with the right amount of pompous ass.

Heh. Erina is my favourite amongst the students.

We'll see where it goes with her. It's still early, but she is playing the evil villian well through the first few episodes. She is a spoiled brat and the funny part was Soma calling her out on it right away, lol.

Either way, the show is better than I thought through the first 7.

LOL@ Kirito the chef. Asuna was the unbeatable chef.

Hunter x Hunter is different in a lot of ways that only really become apparent if you know the standard tropes or have read/watched a lot of Shonen. I think these are the main two, in my opinion -

Gon is never really forced into being the crux of every story. In something like One Piece or Dragon Ball, Goku and Luffy will assuredly be the ones to defeat the bad guy. Yes I know Gohan beat Cell but who's help did he need? Luffy so far has defeated every single arc villain in a solo bout. Who did Gon beat that was the big bad? Just Genthru. Gon and Killua are more often then not on the sideline and never the biggest player at work in the arc.

Playing off that, the series typically avoids wrapping everything up in a satisfying manner. Chrollo Lucifer gets away, dooming Kurapika to forever be obsessed with his vengeance. Months of buildup for the confrontation between Gon and Neferpitou, coalescing with Gon waiting with the most sinister look in his eyes and threatening to kill a small innocent child all for revenge. The ultimate beatdown when Gon finally loses it and annihilates Pitou completely is both filled with catharsis the hint of disappointment - in most Shonen you would get a balls out epic fight where Gon wins just by a hair (lol). That was never an option for Gon, Pitou was above him, far above him. But his near psychotic personality allowed him to do the ultimate sacrifice, which may have lost him his ability to use Nen altogether (not confirmed merely implied.) This may seem like bullshit upon first glance but it abides by the rules of Nen and is not contradictory to Gon's character. Mereum dies from poisoning, not from his epic fight with Netero and his character arc is one of the best in the entire series, and he dies a rather tragic end. Gon finally meats up with Ging and what is he? A total asshole. While the missing father is extremely common in shonen they are still held up as leaving home for an honorable goal. Goku has to protect the Earth. Dragon leads the Revolutionary Army. The Fourth Hokage had to sacrifice himself to seal the Nine Tails. Ging is just an asshole, through and through. He may be doing good things as a Hunter but that hardly excuses him abandoning his Son and actively avoiding him. In fact, the entire series in a meta sense is unsatisfying due to the constant hiatus.

There's more but i want to play fallout more

One more thing - HxH has a far heavier focus on character development then almost every other Shonen I can think of. Most shonen ride it out by simply having likable characters, One Piece is the easiest example. Gon's character arc is rather unique.
small nitpicks
I think the do flamingo battle could be considered at least in part a collaborative effort between law and Luffy. Even if Luffy ends up doing most of the heavy lifting. Also, it was revealed minato could have used a different dealing technique and lived, but chose to use the one that would kill him so Naruto would have a chance of meeting his mother for 5 minutes

Jaxec

Anti-Magic Academy 6

The rushing continues. It was an okay episode for what it was. My biggest complaint is the male villain. Instead of trying to at least come up with a decently written villain, they instead give us a perverted, creepy, rapey (sorry don't know a better word to describe) scumbag. It feels so cheap. Is there a reason so many anime do this when it comes to male villains? I know it's to get a reaction out of the audience, but come on. Anime does this too much for my liking. Sword Art Online being the perfect example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom