• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Hunter x Hunter (2011) is one of the best anime ever.

You should all watch it.

If you already watched it, watch it again.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 39

The devil's in the details. And I don't like the details. First the good. Close was a boss as usual. Haruka needs to get a refund from Toei on her toy. Fight in general was above what I usually expect from this series. Not from the animation, but from how both sides used a wide range of teamwork, switching their opponents regularly. The insert song just made everything that much better. Haruka getting out of her funk mostly on her own was good. Relying on the bland guy would not be a good thing. I did like how they conveyed her backstory. New attack was alright, though those dresses need to stop getting so poofy. Sneak peak of the movie ed?

Now for my problem. Haruka. So she went into despair over the princess thing specifically. That has not become less silly in the 30+ episodes since this show started. Oh, but we finally got some specificity on why she wanted to be a princess, which I wanted to know since the beginning. And... it's because they're cute and cool. *clap clap* Bravo. That just made her look shallow. I know this is Precure and isn't concerned with being realistic, but the main protagonist's dream should be grounded somewhat in reality. Everyone else has something legit they're going for. Haruka is just going with childish (even by Precure standards) wishes, and that's clearly not going to change anytime soon. Now her parents seem alright with this because they think this is a good motivator to do well in life, which is fine. Except Haruka is deadset on this. This just bugs me since its pushing princesses as role models and then not backing up why princesses are a good thing beyond being cute.

Also, everyone should stop beating up on themselves because they left her alone or some junk. They can't hover over Haruka 24/7, and she wasn't alone. Find something better for Minami and Kirara to despair over if they have to. Turns out Kanata's amnesia was a waste of time. Not surprised one bit.

So yeah, didn't click with me despite being a well produced episode. That's Go Princess in a nutshell to me. I know I shouldn't have high standards for Precure, but this season is just weak.

Ascheroth

Taimadou Gakuen - 06

And the pacing continues to be utter shite. The show does such a bad job at explaining how ANYTHING works, it would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. What does Takerus Demon-Sweeping Blade (I think the skill was called something like that) do, how do Relic Eaters work (or even what ARE THEY), how come suddenly Reima can also transform, and the list goes on.
At least I appreciate how much it managed to make me hate Reima in that short a time, even though he just had to be another rapey villain.
The only thing I looked forward to this episode was seeing Takeru break him. And they just had to do that OFFSCREEN, why?

I don't have a single good thing to say about this show and that is sad, because knowing the source material, if they'd just went with the Rakudai or Asterisk appreoach of 3 or 4 episodes/volume, this could have turned out as something good. Not great, but infinitely better then this mangled piece of garbage.

Jaxec

Shirobako 01

I finally decided to start this and I'm really glad I did. This first episode flew on by and I was engrossed throughout. Learning about the anime industry and what goes on behind the scenes is something I definitely look forward to enjoying. Just from the first episode alone I can see just how hectic things can get for everyone involved. The diverse cast is another strong point of the show I found myself loving. It seems like such a well balanced cast and their interactions were fun to watch. I find myself wanting to see how these characters deal with the challenges they face and hopefully see how they mature as a result. Basically what I'm hoping for are characters that feel like actual individuals with their own goals and stories as opposed to characters that seem like they came from a trope checklist. In my opinion the first episode did a good job with the former. These girls are motivated and have a dream, but it isn't going to be easy to achieve it.

I'm excited to continue on with this series and hope it lives up to all the great things I've heard about it. Judging from this episode though, I feel I have no need for worry.

Soma ep 3-7

Well damn, this show is a ton of fun to watch. Erina is a douche, I see what you guys mean now. Megumi is awesome, definately the waifu material as you all said. The other characters in the dorm are all interesting, but haven't fully been introduced yet. Hopefully more on miss twin tails comes up, she seams interesting. As an MC Soma is pretty damn good with just the right kinda swag without bieng a pompous a$$. The "foodgasm" phrase os sooo fitting for this show, lol.

Finally you met the best girl
Tadokoro
. Erina can fuck off. I hate everything about her lol.

Tuck

Just remembered that Log Horizon is also up for AOTY...

Honestly, I'd love for Log Horizon to be in my top ten, but it really might not be. There were some great shows this year.

One Punch Man
Shokogeki
Gundam Orphans
Arslan
Garo (The first one, not the super disappointing second one)
Death Parade

And a few others that I'm forgetting.

dmvpUS4.jpg

Independent of any frivolous "waifu" considerations, Tadokoro is the best character of Soma. She is very likable and her insecurities and struggles over her cooking ability make her special in a cast of cooking prodigies.

Phatmac

Here's my list so far from shows that aren't from the Fall
Shirobako
Soma
Jojo
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Gintama
Oregairu S2
Fate Stay Night: UBW
Yona of the Dawn
Hibike Euphonium
Assclass

AOTY list for me so far:

Jojo Stardust Crusaders
Shokugeki no Soma
Ushio and Tora

That's pretty much it. I rarely watch shows when as they're airing. I'm so busy keeping up with my backlog, haha.

Phatmac

Serious lack of Rokka no Yuusha on these lists. Smh...
Just missed the cut. Liked the premise and world but the mystery wasn't that compelling since it's not that hard to figure out. Plus I never liked the look of the show. Adele and Flemy are still my OTP but it ain't AOTS material.

All this talk about Log Horizon and whether or not it gets the recognition it deserves over in the Toonami thread and here has me wondering...

...what shows do you guys think are underrated?

Everyone probably knows that I think Garo and Shiki are underrated, but I feel like Last Exile has been forgotten somewhat. The people who watched it enjoyed it, maybe even loved it, but I don't think it's ever thought of much really.

I liked it partially because it was a well made steampunk adventure, and also because it has my second favorite character called Dio.

Line_HTX

Six Heroes was kind of annoying with the same line repeated over and over, like holy shit...

Does it get better towards the end or what? I stopped because I got irritated at the MC.

Chindogg

Shomin Sample - 06

I never knew I could get so much enjoyment out of watching a bunch of clueless ladies reacting at things. From the procedure of ordering at a burger joint, to the erotic innuendo of pushing an arcade machine button.
I require more nourishment of this caliber. My main complaint is that there is not enough of wacky Karen.

Karen gets a significant arc in the manga so just wait a bit.

Hey does anyone know a place where I can watch YYH subbed?

Every goddamn place has the dub only.

JulianImp

Here's the list of shows I really liked this year:
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Owarimonogatari
Rokka
Durarara!!
Hibike! Euphonium
Gatchaman Crowds Insight (still not as much as the rest)
Subete ga F ni naru (still unsure)

Then, if I had to fill a top ten out I'd probably add:
JoJo
Soma
...And something else

Let-downs were:
Nagato Yuki-chan no Soujitsu (I never asked for a moe and shy Nagato)
Charlotte (but having watched Angel Beats I now kind of get why this show let me down)
Classroom Crisis (never fully clicked with me)
Grisaia no Rakuen (bringing the MC's sister back was downright awful, and the whole focus of the season was a lot less appealing than previous seasons; and don't even get me started on the MC's sister's fake prosthetic claw)

I'll probably try watching Blood Blockade something if I find the time to do so as well.

Cornbread78

The Hill Dyed Rose Madder(Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka) ep. 1-3

Yeah, I was hoping to get another surprise funny ecchi show like Noble Masters, but umm.. I don't think that will happen here. I mean story wise, it's pretty standard fare, but there is hope for better arcs coming up because something is definitely up with a few off these moeblobs.

Line_HTX

The Hill Dyed Rose Madder(Akane Iro ni Somaru Saka) ep. 1-3

Yeah, I was hoping to get another surprise funny ecchi show like Noble Masters, but umm.. I don't think that will happen here. I mean story wise, it's pretty standard fare, but there is hope for better arcs coming up because something is definitely up with a few off these moeblobs.

This adaptation had big name VA's and of course very different from the VN it came from. IIRC most of it was just silly hijinks.

javac

My first impressions on the show can be found here: Ping Pong The Animation (2014) - Episodes 1 - 3 (out of 11) (First Impressions)

I watched two more episodes of Ping Pong and as I expected, the series is not deviating from greatness and as such my general impressions on the show continue to hold weight and so I find it pointless to regurgitate what I've said yesterday. Instead, I want to focus on these two episodes in particular and more importantly on what they brought to the table.

The animation in Ping Pong is continuing to be a delight for the eyes with each frame surprising me in new ways. Episode Four for example continues the tradition of using split screens in order to display interactions between two and sometimes more characters in a way that mimics comic book or manga panels. I find that this makes the show more intimate as you see each character up close and personal as they retort with one another. In fact some of these close-ups are static with voice overs playing in the background which is a stylistic choice utilized mainly to depict conversations one is having with himself, almost as if the world has paused while the character remarks about their opponent. Not to spoil anything but a certain scene is repeated over and over again in episode four in order to display the constant use of a certain shot or serve which works to great effect in making you the viewer feel exhausted like the character on the receiving end. The first half is really good with a great match, sprinkled with many flashbacks in order to add emotional weight to each and every hit of the ball.
The second half right off of the bat gets really emotional with symbolic imagery being used in order to depict the old days as the two elder characters discus years gone by. How they'd push themselves to their limit in order to win to avoid rejection is something we all can relate to on a human level whether you play Ping Pong or any sport which is what makes Ping Pong The Animation such an emotionally charged series. It’s less about the sport and more about the people behind the rackets. Talented people lose their drive as they know who they are while people who find themselves lost try hard to prove themselves, struggling just to win. The second match is action packed and really shows off how amazing this series can be. How something as simple as Ping Pong can be depicted as an epic battle fit for the best shounen series is a testament to the direction and storyboarding. The characters seemingly teleport around the table as electrically charged shots ricochet back and forth with velocity. It really does feel do or die.
It gets really emotional towards the end with some fantastic framing and some soothing music playing in the background as we see a little more about one of the characters past.
This leads into one aspect of Ping Pong that I wanted to touch upon earlier but never got the chance to. I really do believe that there are no bad characters in this show, and not just in terms of development but also in motives. I really can and do root for each and every cast member. There’s no black or white here, instead each character has their own motives and use the game of Ping Pong in order to prove themselves worthy, to hone their skills and to find themselves a place that they belong to. This is an aspect of the series that I admire and appreciate greatly. It’d be easy to just have good guys vs. bad guys. The episode ends with an amazing shot as it pans out and fades into the credits.
Episode Five is a mellow one, an episode that is emotional and has me excited for the future of this show with the way in which it concludes. It focuses mainly on the opposing team which again to lead back into what I said earlier humanizes each every character instead of creating black and white villains and heroes. There’s quite a bit of humor here to balance out the more emotional scenes. The humor definitely feels cut from the same cloth that the comedy of Kaiba was born from however it feels a lot more appropriately placed here which was one of my major issues with Kaiba. I never truly knew how to feel within Kaiba.
One scene in this episode had me tearing up; it was a simple and short scene but was executed perfectly and again worked to humanize each and every character. Ping Pong often allows the images to speak for themselves and it really hits you right in the gut. No spoken words needed, the actions and facial expressions speak for themselves.
The episode accumulates into a bout that ends cathartically with an outpouring of emotions that makes me again feel for a character that in theory and in any other show would be one that I’d be forced to hate. But here I don’t because everybody is treated as human beings. Some powerful imagery and fantastic voice acting builds up into an explosion of emotions.
Ping Pong is continuing to prove itself to be the best in its class, unrivaled I find myself craving more. Ping Pong truly is a powerful series, one that is very much human, and that’s the key word for today, human.
And in case you're wondering who my favorite character is, its Wenge.

Cornbread78

Soma 8-9
Well shit, Soma pulls another rabbit put of his hat with by passing the first test at camp with that fried dish. I knew he snack was going to get used, lol. Funny ED song adaptation in final few minutes of ep.9 though and then that collision with Erina, lol. Discussion gonna get interesting. Soma is gonna have a harem by the end of the 1st cour, isn't he?

trejo

One Punch Man 06

So I'm just chilllin' here minding my own business and enjoying another fine episode of wanpanman when I suddenly noticed that, huh, did the show just throw in a random motherfucking Chapulín Colorado cameo?

AOTY right here, folks.

For reference

Line_HTX

Soma 8-9
Well shit, Soma pulls another rabbit put of his hat with by passing the first test at camp with that fried dish. I knew he snack was going to get used, lol. Funny ED song adaptation in final few minutes of ep.9 though and then that collision with Erina, lol. Discussion gonna get interesting. Soma is gonna have a harem by the end of the 1st cour, isn't he?

How do you like Ikumi?

Generate

Banned
All this talk about Log Horizon and whether or not it gets the recognition it deserves over in the Toonami thread and here has me wondering...

...what shows do you guys think are underrated?

Everyone probably knows that I think Garo and Shiki are underrated, but I feel like Last Exile has been forgotten somewhat. The people who watched it enjoyed it, maybe even loved it, but I don't think it's ever thought of much really.

I liked it partially because it was a well made steampunk adventure, and also because it has my second favorite character called Dio.

Last Exile was a very pleasant experience, as was Fam the silver wing. More Last Exile would be a welcomed sight. The series established a very well imagined world with believable traditions and customs, in particular, the Chivalry code of war.

ibyea

Banned
Hunter x Hunter is different in a lot of ways that only really become apparent if you know the standard tropes or have read/watched a lot of Shonen. I think these are the main two, in my opinion -

Gon is never really forced into being the crux of every story. In something like One Piece or Dragon Ball, Goku and Luffy will assuredly be the ones to defeat the bad guy. Yes I know Gohan beat Cell but who's help did he need? Luffy so far has defeated every single arc villain in a solo bout. Who did Gon beat that was the big bad? Just Genthru. Gon and Killua are more often then not on the sideline and never the biggest player at work in the arc.

Playing off that, the series typically avoids wrapping everything up in a satisfying manner. Chrollo Lucifer gets away, dooming Kurapika to forever be obsessed with his vengeance. Months of buildup for the confrontation between Gon and Neferpitou, coalescing with Gon waiting with the most sinister look in his eyes and threatening to kill a small innocent child all for revenge. The ultimate beatdown when Gon finally loses it and annihilates Pitou completely is both filled with catharsis the hint of disappointment - in most Shonen you would get a balls out epic fight where Gon wins just by a hair (lol). That was never an option for Gon, Pitou was above him, far above him. But his near psychotic personality allowed him to do the ultimate sacrifice, which may have lost him his ability to use Nen altogether (not confirmed merely implied.) This may seem like bullshit upon first glance but it abides by the rules of Nen and is not contradictory to Gon's character. Mereum dies from poisoning, not from his epic fight with Netero and his character arc is one of the best in the entire series, and he dies a rather tragic end. Gon finally meats up with Ging and what is he? A total asshole. While the missing father is extremely common in shonen they are still held up as leaving home for an honorable goal. Goku has to protect the Earth. Dragon leads the Revolutionary Army. The Fourth Hokage had to sacrifice himself to seal the Nine Tails. Ging is just an asshole, through and through. He may be doing good things as a Hunter but that hardly excuses him abandoning his Son and actively avoiding him. In fact, the entire series in a meta sense is unsatisfying due to the constant hiatus.

There's more but i want to play fallout more

One more thing - HxH has a far heavier focus on character development then almost every other Shonen I can think of. Most shonen ride it out by simply having likable characters, One Piece is the easiest example. Gon's character arc is rather unique.

For me it's a shame that HxH has such a pacing problem because it is indeed a very atypical shonen and in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom